Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

1192021222325»

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    I'm not understanding this? I thought there would be hundreds. maybe thousands of posts by Patriots fans already on here, extolling the virtues of future hall of fame coach Jerod Mayo.

Planning next season's Super Bowl trip, buying lots and lots of PSA 10 Jerod Mayo football cards, and a general sense of jubilation even higher than the Belichick-Brady era.

Perhaps the joy is so overwhelming, that they just can't type any posts right now?

I am not sure overwhelmed is how I feel about hiring a guy with zero head coaching experience. I would have preferred Vrabel.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:
    I'm not understanding this? I thought there would be hundreds. maybe thousands of posts by Patriots fans already on here, extolling the virtues of future hall of fame coach Jerod Mayo.

Planning next season's Super Bowl trip, buying lots and lots of PSA 10 Jerod Mayo football cards, and a general sense of jubilation even higher than the Belichick-Brady era.

Perhaps the joy is so overwhelming, that they just can't type any posts right now?

I am not sure overwhelmed is how I feel about hiring a guy with zero head coaching experience. I would have preferred Vrabel.

Couldn't agree with ya more.

I've got no skin in the game, especially with an AFC team. So whichever way it goes doesn't bother me one way or the other. But on the surface right now, it appears to be one of the most bizarre head coach hires in modern NFL history.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Should have kept Belichick and got good offence coach and good receivers. When was the last time Belichick got a top 5 draft pick. I also think they could have used some help in the drafting process.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I'm excited for the new regime but it's not like I'm over joyed about Mayo, I like him but again like Vrabel he is a defensive minded coach, I just want to see if we get a new OC or Real GM, not sure if Kraft is going to let Mayo do the Belichick thing and make pretty much all the decisions

I'm still waiting to see how this all shapes up before the draft.

I was a big critic of Belichick and think it was the best decision to let him go, but I'm not going to kick him in the rear end as he is going out the door

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2024 5:50PM

Letting a LB first time head coach have the reigns as a GM would be an insanely stupid move. They have to get a GM. The GM and Coach thing never really works, it takes too much time scouting to have good drafts which a HC doesnt have time to do.

Mayo is a bit of a wild hire given that Vrabel was already fired. On the bright side for Mayo it wont be hard to at least stay just as good as they were this year

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

from what i have read, all indications are that RK will be hiring a real live GM. that is good news

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Odunze is the Washington guy. Nabers at LSU too. Worthy from Texas. Thomas from LSU. Theres several elite WRs and at least two will be first rounders.

we better not take anyone called Nabers .
    i hated gomer pyle

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

im a miracle whip guy myself but ill take mayo over dry bread

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2024 4:16PM

@bronco2078 said:

@Basebal21 said:
    Odunze is the Washington guy. Nabers at LSU too. Worthy from Texas. Thomas from LSU. Theres several elite WRs and at least two will be first rounders.

we better not take anyone called Nabers .
    i hated gomer pyle

Nabers is every bit as good as Harrison Jr and actually had better numbers than him

Who knows what theyre going to do though with the reports that they might not even hire a GM before the draft

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that Belichick is like Tom Landry at the end. The game has passed him by.

Back in the glory years, the Patriots could have a so-so first half. They would go to the locker room, Belichick would make some adjustments, the second half would be a Patriot romp. He’s lost the touch. I guess Seattle thought the same about Pete Carol who is also over 70.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?