Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@craig44 said:
    stupid patriots. why didnt they start back foot jones. they had the 2nd pick all wrapped up.

Would any Patriots fan from a decade ago believe that we would have rooting to losses to get a better draft pick? :o

every season after Tommy turned 40 I would tell my wife to enjoy it, because this will not last forever. I knew eventually we would be here. and it is OK. I will take the 6 SB's

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:
    If Bailey Zappe shows something in the final games, do the Patriots then not draft a QB, perhaps instead draft say a stud LT, and hope Zappe continues to develop next season, hopefully cutting down on the interceptions, etc?

It would be a crazy move to think Zappe is the answer for the future. Theres 4 stud tackles in this draft. Theres only so Given the amount of QB, WR, and Edge rusher talent in this draft there is a chance that one of them will be available at the top of the second round. Theres only so many first round picks and theres also Bowers and Koolaide who someone will take somewhere in the first round

I usually only begin closely analyzing the NFL draft a week or so before it happens, and always enjoy watching it, at least the first round.

i don't even really follow college football all that closely except for when Penn State plays. Perhaps some now currently anticipated lower round QB draft pick, lights it up in a Bowl game, and suddenly draws attention to possibly becoming a first round pick, perhaps even a high first round pick?

If Zappe performs mediocre in the final two games, it's probably a lock for the Patriots to choose a QB first. But if Zappe performs well, then it certainly complicates things for them. Your analysis may turn out to be right regardless of how Zappe performs. We shall see.

Zappe is fine as a backup, but if hes QB1 that team isnt winning anything without adding a lot more than just a tackle.

Its unlikely any QB will do anything in a bowl game that would rocket them up the draft. Other than Ewers and Beck the highly touted ones that are draft eligible have basically all opted out. If Ewers and Beck changed their mind about returning to Texas and Georgia that would put two more first round QBs in the mix and could be a third if Deions son declared as scouts love him. Theres three right now with Williams, Maye, Daniels, and someone might feel the need to take either Pennix/Nix (both would be horrible fits for the Patriots) which could put us at 5 QBs.

Bowers might be the most talented player in college football as a hybrid pass catching blocking TE, but hes still a TE. He should get drafted in the first it just wont be as high as it should be. Koolaide the Bama CB and Turner their EDGE will go in the first round. Latu the UCLA EDGE and Verse the one from FSU should as well. Harrison JR from OSU and Nabers from LSU should be locks at WR with guys like Odunze and Egbuka possible. PSU has a CB that could, someone could fall in love with a Haartman or Rattler at QB who will look good at the combine etc.

The 4 monster tackles are from Bama, Georgia, ND, Penn State. A lot think Oregon States is a first round talent and like Washingtons as well (the Texas game could hurt his grade). Theres more guys at other positions I left out too. This is one of those years where theres more first round talent than there are draft picks and thats not even counting the guys that will get drafted too high from being workout monsters at the combine. Theres a pretty good chance a first round talent tackle might make it to start of the second round. One things for sure the top of the second round will still be first round talent.

They either need to go with a QB or trade down for someone thats looking for a QB. Trading down might be the smartest anyways, the Bears got a massive haul from Carolina last year and barely moved down. Its going to take more than just a QB or tackle to fix the offense

• Options

Zappe is not a starting QB.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

You may very well be right. I don't disagree with ya.

But will Belichick see it that way? Especially since his analytic mind isn't the same as twenty or even ten years ago. We shall see.

• Options

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

You may very well be right. I don't disagree with ya.

But will Belichick see it that way? Especially since his analytic mind isn't the same as twenty or even ten years ago. We shall see.

I hope that BB is no longer the coach, for the good of our draft. his ability to judge talent is not what it used to be.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2023 5:00PM

Currently sitting at #3 but tied with #2 Washington & #4 Arizona, all with a 4-12 record. Hopefully the Jets (@NE) and Commanders (home vs Dallas) pull off miracles next week.
    https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

• Options

Buffalo came through for us today!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Buffalo came through for us today!!

They almost didn't lol

• Options
    edited January 3, 2024 3:41PM

If I can I'm drafting Harrison Junior 1st round then making sure I get JJ McCarthy on the turnaround

That's what I want the Pats to do.

Any thoughts?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    If I can I'm drafting Harrison Junior 1st round then making sure I get JJ McCarthy on the turnaround

Any thoughts?

I'm not too familiar with McCarthy other than playing for Michigan under Harbaugh but I'd be ok with a scenario like this. Harrison Jr would upgrade the offense all on his own and they could always trade back into the 1st for their QB,whoever it would be.

Its gonna be weird going into this last game if it ends up being BB's last with the team and Its almost fitting that it would be against the Jets who Bill spurned to come coach in NE. While I think the change is needed,I think that these last two seasons have really hurt his reputation as to how much he contributed to their championships. (Not looking to argue that last part with anyone.)

Also it looks like someone has an axe to grind with Jerod Mayo by putting it out there that "he's rubbed some people the wrong way in the building since getting his extension in the offseason." He's rumored to be the next HC and this report comes out just days before the current HC is/could be heading into his final game in NE.

• Options

I didnt hear that report about mayo. interesting.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I didnt hear that report about mayo. interesting.

Greg Bedard talked about it on Weei saying that he heard about it roughly a month ago and from what he got asking around it wasn't really players or their agents. He hinted that it was people who worked off of the field and that after taking a poll of roughly 21 NE employees (not sure if players were included) he said that it was a 14-7 edge w/14 who wanted Mayo replacing Bill and 7 that didn't.

• Options
    edited January 3, 2024 7:48PM

I'm curious to see if BB gets the boot and Mayo gets that promotion,does Steve Belichick stick around? When he first got hired it was cool to joke about Daddy hiring him but it turns out,outside of whatever happened with Malcolm Butler the night before the Eagles SB, he's actually been really good at his job coaching on defense.

If Bill takes a job elsewhere I'm assuming his son goes with him though.

edit: I don't know where I heard this idea but thought it was a good one. rather than stick around the NFL Bill goes and coaches Navy in college. That would seem like one of his dream jobs to go coach where his father coached and where he learned the game. That being said, I could just imagine BB sitting in some top recruit's living room trying to convince the kid & his parents that it would be in their best interest to come play for Navy. 😂
    I'd probably start watching Navy games though. 😎

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2024 8:05PM

i caught Eric Mangini talking about BB today and he said that Belichick's hatred for the Jets is all too real. he said that BB will go all out to win on Sunday, because the last thing he wants is an L to the Jets to wrap up his tenure in New England. if that happens, and you guys want Harrison, then you better hope that the Seahawks beat Arizona because the Cardinals won't pass him up. Jonathan Gannon came out yesterday and said that Murray "is our franchise QB," which means that they are going to build around him in the next draft...........and Harrison is the guy they ultimately want.

and that can only happen if the Bears decide to move on from Fields, which is not a sure thing. if they keep him then THEY will probably draft Harrison to build around HIM.

i'd be very surprised if New England does something other than draft one of these stud QBs with its first pick. anyone watch Washington-Texas? even Penix can REALLY spin it.

can't wait for the draft...................i expect a lot of draft day fireworks

• Options

Oh boy, I feel like the Jets are going to screw us.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Oh boy, I feel like the Jets are going to screw us.

What's even worse,say we win and WAS,ARI,NYG,LAC & TEN all lose, depending on what the final Strength Of Schedule outcome will be for each team NE could end up dropping back a few draft spots possibly as low as #7. That happens and BB might literally be chased out of town lol. 🤣

Hopefully by some divine intervention the Jets beat us by 50 and Washington topples Dallas. 🙏

• Options

@perkdog said:

Any thoughts?

You wont like McCarthy. Theres a reason why Michigan doesnt let him throw very often. 2nd round is way to high especially high 2nd and with all the other QBs that should be drafted ahead of him.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would BB draft McCarthy or Harrison Jr. when there are several high quality Australian style punters to choose from?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:
    Why would BB draft McCarthy or Harrison Jr. when there are several high quality Australian style punters to choose from?

Rumor has it that BB has less than a handful of days left running this team.

• Options

@Brick said:

there are those, but you are forgetting all the high-grade special team gunners coming out of Rutgers. BB needs them too.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

The announcer for Wash. game said they have a receiver better than Harrison. Don’t remember his name but he’s been getting open all year. Every time I watch them Penix completes several bombs.

• Options

Odunze is the Washington guy. Nabers at LSU too. Worthy from Texas. Thomas from LSU. Theres several elite WRs and at least two will be first rounders.

• Options

Jets are doing their jobs so far.

@thisistheshow would not like me rooting for the Jets. Its all for the greater good though.

• Options

can BB's last game at a Patriot be considered the most boring game ever played? 6-3 Jets in the 4th quarter

• Options

Tomorrow sometime in the morning, if Belichick sees a call come in from the office of Robert Kraft, I'm not so sure that he will be looking forward to taking the phone call.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

in Bill Belichick's last game as Pats HC his quarterback threw for 88 yards and 2 picks

in 4 years since Brady left, he has completely disemboweled the roster. he has made a mockery of a proud franchise and should be drop-kicked out of the state

• Options

@stevek said:
    Tomorrow sometime in the morning, if Belichick sees a call come in from the office of Robert Kraft, I'm not so sure that he will be looking forward to taking the phone call.

I would hope after 24 years and 6 super bowl victories that RK would not do it over the phone.

• Options

I'm sure Bill already knows whether or not hes coming back. I doubt its going to be something that catches him by surprise if they move on which they absolutely should

• Options

May have happened anyway regardless of the outcome of today's game. But after that totally lackluster performance, especially at home, it made Kraft's decision very easy.

I'll be surprised if Belichick isn't summoned to Kraft's office tomorrow to receive the bad news.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 483 ✭✭✭

You all want Bill Belichick out. So tell me who do you think can replace him. I have not heard one name to replace him.
    Just please be very careful what you wish for. How many championships did the Pats win before Bill.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:
    You all want Bill Belichick out. So tell me who do you think can replace him. I have not heard one name to replace him.
    Just please be very careful what you wish for. How many championships did the Pats win before Bill.

Should a coach have a job for life just because of championships eventhough its clear the game has passed them by and the teams currently roster is entirely their doing?

• Options

Point taken about giving Belichick another chance. However at some point, and I think it's reached that point, an owner owes it to the fans to do what has to be done.

The problem with Belichick is not only his age, but the wear and tear on his mind and body from his own demanding personality. Frankly at this point, I don't see another team hiring him in any capacity. Just my opinion as I wish him no ill will and a happy retirement. Without question he deserves that.

• Options

So glad this Patriots season is mercifully finished lol

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

Jerod Mayo seems like the front runner. Kraft extended his deal last offseason and IIRC He even stated that Mayo was the heir apparent publicly at some point.

• Options

I was glad to see the 2023 Pats offense finally show up in that 4th quarter. 😎
    They're likely going to land the 3rd pick which is great when it seems like its going be some order of Williams,Maye & Harrison Jr so they'll end up with one of the better prospects no matter what.

It was kind of sad at the end knowing its finally the end of the Brady/Belichick era in NE. Seeing Bill maskup right after the final whistle I'd bet there were some tears falling there.

its going to be interesting to see who the team brings in to run the team, I haven't really heard any names. With this upcoming draft/preseason being so pivotal for their near future,you'd guess that the Krafts are going to find some fairly quick,imo.
    As of right now NE is expected to have at leasst 72M for free agency but likely closer to 85-90M when its all said and done and as far as draft picks go,they own their own pick for each of the first 6 rounds then the Bears 7th rounder. All of those Pats picks are within the top 3 in those 6 rounds so we should see some decent talent brought in.

All I want is a QB,#1 WR & Starting Left tackle with their first three picks and I don't care what order they go with. They're projected to have 3 in the top 66 picks.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    So glad this Patriots season is mercifully finished lol

I agree, it was a tough one

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I was glad to see the 2023 Pats offense finally show up in that 4th quarter. 😎
    They're likely going to land the 3rd pick which is great when it seems like its going be some order of Williams,Maye & Harrison Jr so they'll end up with one of the better prospects no matter what.

It was kind of sad at the end knowing its finally the end of the Brady/Belichick era in NE. Seeing Bill maskup right after the final whistle I'd bet there were some tears falling there.

its going to be interesting to see who the team brings in to run the team, I haven't really heard any names. With this upcoming draft/preseason being so pivotal for their near future,you'd guess that the Krafts are going to find some fairly quick,imo.
    As of right now NE is expected to have at leasst 72M for free agency but likely closer to 85-90M when its all said and done and as far as draft picks go,they own their own pick for each of the first 6 rounds then the Bears 7th rounder. All of those Pats picks are within the top 3 in those 6 rounds so we should see some decent talent brought in.

All I want is a QB,#1 WR & Starting Left tackle with their first three picks and I don't care what order they go with. They're projected to have 3 in the top 66 picks.

I agree with everything you said there except for one thing. I do not believe BB was born with tear ducts.

• Options

@pdoidoi said:

I heard them talking about Mike Vrabel on the radio this morning. that is if Tennesee releases him.

• Options

Hed get another job if he wanted it. > @craig44 said:

@pdoidoi said:

I heard them talking about Mike Vrabel on the radio this morning. that is if Tennesee releases him.

All talk as of now is that Vrabel could be traded but wont be released

• Options

@craig44 said:

@pdoidoi said:

I'd prefer Vrabel over Mayo anyday,maybe he could even bring Derrick Henry with him.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking maybe the pats should pick one of the top receivers Harrison or the guy at Washington.
    What if they pick a QB and get the next Bryce Young instead of Stroud? Granted maybe too early to write off Bryce but I remember the so called experts on nfl network and ESPN were saying Stroud wasn’t intelligent enough to be an nfl qb because he did poorly on some test. Wonder what the experts are saying about Stroud now that he’s put his team in the playoffs.
    It will be an interesting draft for sure.

• Options

@Darin said:
    I’m thinking maybe the pats should pick one of the top receivers Harrison or the guy at Washington.
    What if they pick a QB and get the next Bryce Young instead of Stroud? Granted maybe too early to write off Bryce but I remember the so called experts on nfl network and ESPN were saying Stroud wasn’t intelligent enough to be an nfl qb because he did poorly on some test. Wonder what the experts are saying about Stroud now that he’s put his team in the playoffs.
    It will be an interesting draft for sure.

Young is more talented, but their situations are drastically different. Carolina should have never started Young this year but they have a bad owner and a bad front office who drastically overpaid to move up in the draft. If you flip them on their teams the results are the same. You cant trade away McCaffery, your best WR, your draft picks and then expect a rookie QB to carry the team. The NFL and high level football just doesnt work that way, they have to have weapons around them.

Stroud didnt put his team in the playoffs either. They have a solid team. Dont forget they also traded up and brought in Anderson with him to help the defense. Stroud was the missing piece for the offense since they havent had a real QB since Watson.

QBs can elevate things they cannot carry bad rosters

Nabers is also a better WR than Odunze at Washington and both would be an over draft at 2 or 3

• Options

Apple TV is airing a 10 part docuseries next month called The Dynasty: New England Patriots and just posted a new trailer
    for it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfvL2TaRvu8

• Options
    edited January 9, 2024 3:03PM

Vrabel and Mayo or Belichick stays is all I'm hearing, with an outside shot of Josh McDaniels back as OC

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Vrabel and Mayo or Belichick stays is all I'm hearing, with an outside shot of Josh McDaniels back as OC

I'd take McDaniels back in a heartbeat. He was a horrible head coach but he's a great OC. Vrabel as HC and Mayo/McDaniels as DC/OC would be my ideal coaching trio. Sign Derrick Henry in free agency then draft a QB, #1 Wr & LT and this team looks entirely different than 2023.

• Options
    edited January 9, 2024 8:24PM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I'd take McDaniels back in a heartbeat. He was a horrible head coach but he's a great OC. Vrabel as HC and Mayo/McDaniels as DC/OC would be my ideal coaching trio. Sign Derrick Henry in free agency then draft a QB, #1 Wr & LT and this team looks entirely different than 2023.

Works for me

I cannot stand Bill O'Brien

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

Without trading down for more picks they could realistically get 2 of the 3. A very good WR will be there at the top of the second round, a decision would need to be made between QB or LT. Its likely that Jordan Travis falls to the later rounds because he broke his leg making it potentially possible to get him just knowing he wont play this year,

• Options

Are we going to scoop up Vrabel now? I sure hope so.

• Options

I'm not understanding this? I thought there would be hundreds. maybe thousands of posts by Patriots fans already on here, extolling the virtues of future hall of fame coach Jerod Mayo.

Planning next season's Super Bowl trip, buying lots and lots of PSA 10 Jerod Mayo football cards, and a general sense of jubilation even higher than the Belichick-Brady era.

Perhaps the joy is so overwhelming, that they just can't type any posts right now?