Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

patriots contracts are written by satan

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^ very few football contracts are fully guaranteed. if he stinks, no doubt he will be cut after the season.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-trade-deadline-sellers-giants-broncos-among-five-teams-that-should-unload-talent-by-october-31/
    With the trade deadline at the end of the month I agree with this writer about dealing Kendrick Bourne,Hunter Henry & Trent Brown who are all heading into free agency. I'd also add DeVante Parker too and then try finding a taker for Mac this offseason.

The only problem with that scenario is if BB decided to be a seller at the trade deadline with some of his offensive pieces heading into free agency,there's almost zero chance that he'd be able to revive some of Mac's trade value by this summer. At this point the guy is better off just starting over somewhere else.

Although it would never happen, i'd rather see Bill tank the rest of the season by trading off most of their soon-to-be FAs for as many picks as possible then find a new home for Mac in the offseason.
    Then the team would have a good chunk of cap space to work with (roughly 80-100M,) a bunch of picks to rebuild with lincluding hopefully their own in the top 5, and there would only be 3 of their own FAs who are really worth re-signing: Josh Uche,Michael Onwenu & Kyle Dugger.

But knowing Belichick,he'll hold onto everyone and then this summer let his 3 best FAs walk so he could try gaining 3 high compensatory picks in the 2025 draft.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:
    we signed malik cunningham to the active roster as a QB/WR. it cant be any worse than we have seen in the last 2 weeks

So what do you think this means? I'm not dialed in.

EVen if he gets in the game I wouldn't expect much from Cunningham(or WIll Grier.) Both players have been mostly lining up as the opposing QB in practices rather than running the Pats 1st offense.

All the hubbub about Cunningham this week came from BB getting asked about him and saying that "he's definitely trending towards getting a chance to play."
    Bill said that and MC is now on the active roster, I think BB wanted to just have another available option at QB active that has seen some time at QB at practice even though it was mostly during the summer.

• Options

he knows he has nothing in Zappe. may as well bring in someone from outside the organization.

I do agree that we should be sellers at deadline. get as much draft capital as possible

• Options

@craig44 said:
    he knows he has nothing in Zappe. may as well bring in someone from outside the organization.

The problem with that is then you have to spend weeks/months trying to get the guy caught up in their playbook.
    or BB can just screw with us all by bringing back this guy lol...

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    they just said on the london pregame that Mac is on a short leash today.

Over the last two weeks, the opposition defense has kept Mac Jones’ collar attached the dog house. 🏠

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I get annoyed with Mac right oops pick 6 and we are in a hole just like that
    but the defense allowed 28 odd points regardless
    we cant stop anyone ever, so even without the pick 6 we lose by 4 touchdowns the last few weeks anyway

Bill is supposed to be some defensive genius , in certain spots at times ok . but in the last 5 + years i see no evidence he has any clue about anything

he doesnt seem to understand the modern game at all
    he cant draft anyone on the offensive side of the ball except by accident
    when he does get a good offensive player he gets rid of them

look at the run game Is our leading rusher basically Mac jones? In the process of running for his life he has gone randomly in the positive direction and picked up like 12 first downs i think
    :D

• Options

what kind of blackmail is bill sitting on to get 5 years of mediocre performance at 20+ million a year with no end in sight?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    what kind of blackmail is bill sitting on to get 5 years of mediocre performance at 20+ million a year with no end in sight?

If BB had been this stuck on Bledsoe, there would have never been a Brady.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

I remember all the calls to put Bledsoe back as starter as soon as he got cleared to play. there was a lot of pressure on BB at that time.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

I remember all the calls to put Bledsoe back as starter as soon as he got cleared to play. there was a lot of pressure on BB at that time.

Yes, it’s the ridiculous idea that no one should ever lose their job because of injury. If you can remember, that Pats lost something like 5 of the first 6 games before Brady came along. If you find a guy with a hot hand that has you winning, you stick with him.

• Options

Pats with the pick!! man, Adams got popped on that one

• Options

The drought is over! The Pats got a field goal!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was an ugly interception.

• Options

That was their best drive in about a month lol.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    That was an ugly interception.

it was just terrible. Romo agreed!!

• Options

Mac is just so bad

• Options

Are we going to lose to McDaniels and Hoyer? Or are we going to get win #2? Hmmm

• Options

everything is just so difficult on offense. a 6 yard completion seems like a big win.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Are we going to lose to McDaniels and Hoyer? Or are we going to get win #2? Hmmm

Techinically it would be McDaniels,Jimmy G,Brian Hoyer,Jakobi Meyers & Adam Butler in this Battle of the Exes.
    Hey at least its only a one possession game in the 4th lol, How long has it been since they could say that? (even though they're about to give up points here)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Techinically it would be McDaniels,Jimmy G,Brian Hoyer,Jakobi Meyers & Adam Butler in this Battle of the Exes.
    Hey at least its only a one possession game in the 4th lol, How long has it been since they could say that? (even though they're about to give up points here)

At least we didn't give up the TD, 23-10 would have felt insurmountable.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I dont know. 9 points seems insurmountable this season...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

9pts seems that way too lately. Mac is gonna need to step up here.

• Options

why are they taking so much time!?!?!?!?!

• Options

Now the defense needs to come through.

• Options

that drive was soooooooooooooooo long. lol

• Options

alright mac, your chance

• Options
  • Options

There's the 2023 Patriots that we all know and love. 😉

• Options

we most likely lose next 2. that'll be 1-7.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Cut Parker tomorrow! 🤬

got to have that catch

• Options

how do you take a safety?!?!?!?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Good, more losses the better lol. Right now we're in line for a top 4 pick, at 1-7 we're creeping into that top 3. 😉👍

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭

I'm actually watching my 1st game of the year tonight .
    Thankfully it's not the patriots as I didn't waste my money on the NFL package.
    The game on is the Bills game and I don't even remember who their opponent is.
    That's how much interest I have in football this year!

• Options

there is absolutely no fight in that dog.

Mac may not be able to deliver us a win, but i have confidence he can deliver us the number 1 pick in next years draft and our next QB!!!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I'm actually watching my 1st game of the year tonight .
    Thankfully it's not the patriots as I didn't waste my money on the NFL package.
    The game on is the Bills game and I don't even remember who their opponent is.
    That's how much interest I have in football this year!

the Bills are playing the Giants. they may have a 3-2 record, but Buffalo is a very good team.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Good, more losses the better lol. Right now we're in line for a top 4 pick, at 1-7 we're creeping into that top 3. 😉👍

At that point, I still think we will mess around and win a few 👎👎

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Thats ok, 3-14 was good enoiugh for the #1 pick in recent years so a few more wins should land us around picks 2-4.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭

On 2nd thought I think I will watch the Rangers and Astros baseball game.
    This will be the 1st playoff game I watched too so it's baseball game I have no interest in over a football game I have no interest in either.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Thats ok, 3-14 was good enoiugh for the #1 pick in recent years so a few more wins should land us around picks 2-4.

A top 5 pick, at a minimum, would do wonders for off season talk.

And either way, we just got Jeff Van Gundy...#18 confirmed.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Give BB the chance to draft top 5 in every round while moving on from Mac and he'll likely turn this team around pretty quick.
    As long as Mac Jones is around i expect BB to do the bare minimum to put pieces around him.

And either way, we just got Jeff Van Gundy...#18 confirmed.

Yessir!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Literally nothing excites me about this team.

It's all good though, as the losses add up Kraft will see the writing on the wall

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Give BB the chance to draft top 5 in every round while moving on from Mac and he'll likely turn this team around pretty quick.
    As long as Mac Jones is around i expect BB to do the bare minimum to put pieces around him.

Not if he drafts anything like he did last year This is a roster that he has drafted. Hes making the decisions

What would be the logic to continue to set up a QB to fail?

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

Umm for the record I do NOT
    want Bill to handle the drafting anymore

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s amazing

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    It’s amazing

Look, like I've said a lot, after 28-3, it's all gravy...

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Not if he drafts anything like he did last year This is a roster that he has drafted. Hes making the decisions

Between Kraft making the pic,not Belichick, to take Mac at 15 in the 2021 draft and then Mac stirring up drama behind the scenes last year, Bill's ego won't allow him to go out of his way to develop Mac Jones or put pieces around him that could help him succeed. That has been clear as day to people following this team since Mac got drafted.

it's Bill's logic, Bill's ego and it would be that same ego that would eventually rid his hands of Mac Jones and then use every resource possible to rebuild this team asap. I have no doubt that Belichick will improve in his draft selections once he's not trying to placate the powner and a QB who obviously isn't that good.

You can ask What would be the logic to continue to set up a QB to fail? and my reply would be what was the logic behind BB not drafting a starting caliber OLineman in the 1st round when a Left Tackle was clearly needed?

in all of the years that Brady was here except for maybe that last season here, belichick went out of hi way spending high draft picks on putting pieces around Tom.

2001: Matt Light 2nd round
    2002 Daniel Graham 1st/ Deion branch 2nd
    2003 Bethel Johnson 2nd
    2004 Ben Watson 1st
    2005 Logan Mankins 1st
    2006 Laurence Maroney 1st/ Chad Jackson 2nd
    2007 no picks that really helped but he did go get WRS Randy Moss,Wes Welker & Donte Stallworth
    2009 Sebastain Vollmer
    2010 Gronk 2nd
    2011 Nate Solder 1st/Shane Vereen 2nd
    by then BB had his nucleus to put around Brady with plenty of good Olinemen being coached by Dante Scarnecchia and his main passing targets in Edelman & Gronk.

Just look at BB's offensive draft picks in the past 3 drafts. In Mac's 2nd season BB kind of tried even though many b!tched about the names taken but after all of the drama from Bill's failed OC experiment and Mac's reaction to that by going outside of the organization,Bill Belichick was PO'd. His starting QB needed a starting Left Tackle and #1 WR and he got neither.
    🤷‍♂️Its Belichick's ego and if he's still around by draft time and Mac isn't,I fully expect Bill's draft decisions will be made with the intent to actually improve the team.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Between Kraft making the pic,not Belichick, to take Mac at 15 in the 2021 draft and then Mac stirring up drama behind the scenes last year, Bill's ego won't allow him to go out of his way to develop Mac Jones or put pieces around him that could help him succeed. That has been clear as day to people following this team since Mac got drafted.

it's Bill's logic, Bill's ego and it would be that same ego that would eventually rid his hands of Mac Jones and then use every resource possible to rebuild this team asap. I have no doubt that Belichick will improve in his draft selections once he's not trying to placate the powner and a QB who obviously isn't that good.

You can ask What would be the logic to continue to set up a QB to fail? and my reply would be what was the logic behind BB not drafting a starting caliber OLineman in the 1st round when a Left Tackle was clearly needed?

in all of the years that Brady was here except for maybe that last season here, belichick went out of hi way spending high draft picks on putting pieces around Tom.

2001: Matt Light 2nd round
    2002 Daniel Graham 1st/ Deion branch 2nd
    2003 Bethel Johnson 2nd
    2004 Ben Watson 1st
    2005 Logan Mankins 1st
    2006 Laurence Maroney 1st/ Chad Jackson 2nd
    2007 no picks that really helped but he did go get WRS Randy Moss,Wes Welker & Donte Stallworth
    2009 Sebastain Vollmer
    2010 Gronk 2nd
    2011 Nate Solder 1st/Shane Vereen 2nd
    by then BB had his nucleus to put around Brady with plenty of good Olinemen being coached by Dante Scarnecchia and his main passing targets in Edelman & Gronk.

Just look at BB's offensive draft picks in the past 3 drafts. In Mac's 2nd season BB kind of tried even though many b!tched about the names taken but after all of the drama from Bill's failed OC experiment and Mac's reaction to that by going outside of the organization,Bill Belichick was PO'd. His starting QB needed a starting Left Tackle and #1 WR and he got neither.
    🤷‍♂️Its Belichick's ego and if he's still around by draft time and Mac isn't,I fully expect Bill's draft decisions will be made with the intent to actually improve the team.

I disagree a bit about Mac since Kraft didnt force him to keep Brady and wanted them to work out their issues. I do agree that ego could lead Belichick to doing such things I just dont think theres a logic to it in terms of a coach doing that. Mac clearly needed help and just got none in the last draft.

Wouldnt you say though that if a coaches ego is dictating a draft maybe its time for someone else to take over and hire a GM or move on to some one new?