Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    Bill has to go , he can not be allowed to draft ever again

The thing is that he will without a doubt be doing the drafting this upcoming offseason. And we just might have a very high pick. And we know we will have a lot of cap space. Many teams work around not having cap space. We don't. Anyway, ...

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Bill has to go , he can not be allowed to draft ever again

The thing is that he will without a doubt be doing the drafting this upcoming offseason. And we just might have a very high pick. And we know we will have a lot of cap space. Many teams work around not having cap space. We don't. Anyway, ...

Normally Bill likes letting players walk in free agency so he could gain some comp picks but with all of that cap space its likely to negate BB from getting any,or all, of those picks. It would be better for the team if they were sellers at the deadline, that way they still end up with a bunch of draft picks no matter what.

But its Bill though making that call. 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 12:02PM

Can we finish off the Bills?????!!!!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 12:59PM

@perkdog said:
    Can we finish off the Bills?????!!!!

Sadly, no. The Pats gave it a great try.

And yea, I started this post before Buffalo got the winning score. The zebras helped out Buffalo.

But the Patriots season is over anyway.

One thing for certain. Buffalo is overrated.

Amazing! A lead with 12 seconds left … Can the Patriots hold Buffalo for 12 seconds?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Nice W!!!!

• Options

Who are these Patriots and where the hell have they been all year?

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 1:04PM

Too bad Gronk isn't available so hoodie can put him in as the deep man

• Options

Awesome victory, I'm happy for these guys

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Awesome victory, I'm happy for these guys

They played with some pride today. They may not win many more games this year but this was on of those games on their schedule that you hoped would be a win.

• Options

@perkdog said:

For those who don’t recall, the Patriots blew a game to Miami a few years ago when they scored a TD on one of those hand-off, lateral plays. Bill put Gronk in the backfield as the last line of defense, but the Dolphins ran by him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

When you are a down trodden team, sure to miss the payoffs, you can still find joy in simultaneously hoping for a high draft pick AND unexpectedly beating a division rival.

It's never a bad time to beat the Bills.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy for Pats fans. I am not a fan of Buffalo at all. For many non sports related reasons, which will remain unsaid here, so I can keep my job here. :D

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

For those who don’t recall, the Patriots blew a game to Miami a few years ago when they scored a TD on one of those hand-off, lateral plays. Bill put Gronk in the backfield as the last line of defense, but the Dolphins ran by him.

I knew that would ring a bell for some of you lol

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Happy for Pats fans. I am not a fan of Buffalo at all. For many non sports related reasons, which will remain unsaid here, so I can keep my job here. :D

I actually can't stand the Bills, they have screwed me a few times betting on them against basic layups and they lose

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

coming in late on this one. I am torn. it is foreign for me to be rooting for my team to lose, but I really want a high draft pick. I just dont see the value in this win as the season is already over.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    coming in late on this one. I am torn. it is foreign for me to be rooting for my team to lose, but I really want a high draft pick. I just dont see the value in this win as the season is already over.

I thought of that too but the players who have been fighting every week deserve a good win against McDermott and the Bills

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2023 2:16PM

Looks like Belli will be around as long as Kraft is alive

Unless he retires or decides he doesnt want to draft anymore its going to be him for a while

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I thought of that too but the players who have been fighting every week deserve a good win against McDermott and the Bills

I am trying my very best to look at this in the long term. I just think this could be a huge offseason. if we play it right.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

Unless he retires or decides he doesnt want to draft anymore its going to be him for a while

Nothing said there was surprising at all, I've been saying for weeks now don't underestimate that relationship between BB & Kraft because there's alot of things we don't know or see. Belichick signing a lucrative multi-year contract over this past offseason is evidence of that. The team was pretty awful last season yet Kraft reupped Bill's contract for god only knows how many years. If I had to guess it was probably in the 3yr/60-70M range. Now we all get to see how it plays out.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

I just didnt see him getting fired. been around too long and done too much

• Options

@craig44 we all want a high draft pick, but the reality is that I don't think we were getting the first pick with or without a win today. Beating this Bills team is a sweet victory.

• Options

I will admit a new extension like that is definitely surprising for me. I did think his leash was getting shorter with an older owner wanting to win again but I guess Kraft decided hed won enough and the relationship was more important which I can respect. Hopefully for Pats fans sake someone at least had a talk with him about drafting before he signed that

• Options

Yes, I don't trust Belichick with draft picks any more.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @craig44 we all want a high draft pick, but the reality is that I don't think we were getting the first pick with or without a win today. Beating this Bills team is a sweet victory.

It is an odd feeling though. On one hand we all want to see the tank for the highest pick possible but when they were midway thru the 4th with a lead its hard not rooting for them in that situation lol. Especially with how this season has gone and it being the Bills. Definitely sweet.

• Options

Actually, looking at the current draft standings NE won this game and it didn't change their previous position at #4.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

It is an odd feeling though. On one hand we all want to see the tank for the highest pick possible but when they were midway thru the 4th with a lead its hard not rooting for them in that situation lol. Especially with how this season has gone and it being the Bills. Definitely sweet.

Sweet until draft day lol. But on the bright side the Bears did a Bears thing and they won too so did the Giants so that cancels it out a bit. Just start rooting for the Cardinals now. The first pick is probably out of question anyways as the Bears seem to have that locked down from the Carolina pick and they just have 0 weapons on offense after trading them all away. I'm not sure I would would the first pick in this draft anyways. All the pressure will be to take Caleb who struggles against top teams, they really just need to not mess it up enough to fall out of a really high pick

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Sweet until draft day lol. But on the bright side the Bears did a Bears thing and they won too so did the Giants so that cancels it out a bit. Just start rooting for the Cardinals now. The first pick is probably out of question anyways as the Bears seem to have that locked down from the Carolina pick and they just have 0 weapons on offense after trading them all away. I'm not sure I would would the first pick in this draft anyways. All the pressure will be to take Caleb who struggles against top teams, they really just need to not mess it up enough to fall out of a really high pick

They started the day in the 4th worst record in the standings and are still there after this win so,as for today,it hasn't hurt them. I never really thought that NE would end up with the #1 pick anyways when we could see days like this when they're able to put it all together and beat a really good team like the Bills. With 10 more games to go there's going to be at least a few more of these types of games.
    Many of us Pats want to see that tanking but thats never going to happen because purposelly losing games isn't in BB's DNA, Ultimately I'll be just happy if we can end up with a top 8 pick. That way they're either high enough to grab a Qb or an elite WR or TE, OR they're in that area where dropping down 2-4 spots should still land them an impact type player with extra picks.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bill-belichick-agreed-secret-lucrative-contract-extension-patriots

Bill Belichick agreed to secret 'lucrative' contract extension with Patriots: report

(sorry if this was already posted)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

They started the day in the 4th worst record in the standings and are still there after this win so,as for today,it hasn't hurt them. I never really thought that NE would end up with the #1 pick anyways when we could see days like this when they're able to put it all together and beat a really good team like the Bills. With 10 more games to go there's going to be at least a few more of these types of games.
    Many of us Pats want to see that tanking but thats never going to happen because purposelly losing games isn't in BB's DNA, Ultimately I'll be just happy if we can end up with a top 8 pick. That way they're either high enough to grab a Qb or an elite WR or TE, OR they're in that area where dropping down 2-4 spots should still land them an impact type player with extra picks.

I havent checked, but, had they lost today wouldnt they have moved up from the 4th position? Yes, it "feels" good to beat Buffalo today. but that is just it. today. come april, how will it feel? I agree that BB doesnt like to lose. but dont you think it is short-sighted to play so hard for a win that ultimately is meaningless? and actually detrimental to the future of the franchise?

I guess that is my frustration with todays win.

• Options

They would have moved up to 3rd if they stayed with 1 win. Theres a bunch of 2 win teams at the moment where some tie breakers would happen if the season ended today. I get that NFL players will never tank given the short career and really no professional player will tank in any sport to help get someone to replace them, its up to the coaches to make questionable decisions for that other than the NBA.

As mentioned Bill isnt going to do that even with his new contract. As fans you just kind of have to hope that they dont shoot themselves in the foot winning some meaningless games that just drops their draft position. It is possible to root for players being good while also hoping that they lose.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I havent checked, but, had they lost today wouldnt they have moved up from the 4th position? Yes, it "feels" good to beat Buffalo today. but that is just it. today. come april, how will it feel? I agree that BB doesnt like to lose. but dont you think it is short-sighted to play so hard for a win that ultimately is meaningless? and actually detrimental to the future of the franchise?

Basebal21 is correct,had they lost they would have only dropped to 3. Looking at next weeks schedule the bottom 4 teams are likely looking at losses.

As far as tanking goes,the players are never going to tank and stop playing hard,that never happens and especially in a contact sport like this where you could get hurt on any given play.

NE tanking would require the HC/GM sitting Mac or just trading him outright. Then they'd be trading literally any player on the roster for more draft picks. There could be instances where maybe close to coming off of IR and the team decides to let him sit longer.

I think the team hit rock bottom as a whole during that Cowboys/Saints 2 week stretch then started turning it around against the Raiders before playing great today by beating the Bills. Its tough though because with just 10 games left,I could see a scenario where they go like 2-8 but also another where they finish 5-5. We won't know until it all plays out.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

we would have a better draft if they take that job away from Bill and put Joe Biden in charge of it

plus have him take over the press conferences they would be more lucid

• Options

It's interesting to note that in 2002, which was the Patriots first Super Bowl winning season, they were 3 and 4 over the first 7 games. I'm not saying that they are going to run the table this time, but there's still a chance.

• Options

Here's some interesting info on Belichick's contract. https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/patriots-week-7-upset-bills-changes-narrative-bill-belichick/560746/
    Kraft wants Jerod Mayo to be the next guy and reportedly Belichick & Mayo's current contracts both end after the 2024 season.
    Also back in august Kraft was asked in regards to BB's future “Is he gonna stay for another X number of years or he can stay forever?” Kraft's answer: “I’ll let you ask him. He has to decide what’s right for him,”

While it seems like Bill does have some say on whether or not he stays on in his current role,if this season goes bad enough Kraft would only have to payout one year's salary to BB if he makes the switch to Mayo.

• Options

Well the Malik Cunningham experience didn't last long, he was waived to hopefully make it back onto the practice squad.

• Options

I'm not sold on the idea of Mayo being the guy. Why not go and get someone offensive minded when it comes time?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm not sold on the idea of Mayo being the guy. Why not go and get someone offensive minded when it comes time?

Wasn't it Mayo calling the plays on D that led to a SB win vs the Rams in 2019?

I have no problem with Mayo landing the HC job as long as Kraft firsts brings in an experienced GM that has been successful elsewhere then finds a very good OC. Who knows maybe by then Josh McDaniels will be looking for a job again. He was the guy that I've always envisioned replacing BB.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Wasn't it Mayo calling the plays on D that led to a SB win vs the Rams in 2019?

I have no problem with Mayo landing the HC job as long as Kraft firsts brings in an experienced GM that has been successful elsewhere then finds a very good OC. Who knows maybe by then Josh McDaniels will be looking for a job again. He was the guy that I've always envisioned replacing BB.

I don't see any reason to go with a defensive HC. Obviously it can work, but still.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

WOW…… just…….. WOW
    Sometimes it’s hard to believe some things that are posted here but a die hard fan not wanting to beat a division foe?
    If you were a Chiefs fan you would have been kicked out of the kingdom.

• Options

Bad fan…. Bad fan 🤣🤣

• Options

I’m just giving Craig a little BS.
    But seriously, what if a team did tank on purpose and got the coveted draft pick and player they really wanted. And then that player turned into a complete bust in the NFL?
    And their second choice who they would have gotten if they hadn’t tanked turned into a superstar.
    My opinion…. Play hard and let the chips fall where they may.

• Options

@Darin said:
    But seriously, what if a team did tank on purpose and got the coveted draft pick and player they really wanted. And then that player turned into a complete bust in the NFL?
    And their second choice who they would have gotten if they hadn’t tanked turned into a superstar.

I agree, there is ZERO guarantee that a high draft pick let alone a top QB will work out

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

I agree, there is ZERO guarantee that a high draft pick let alone a top QB will work out

especially if bill makes it. Or anyone on the patriots really

• Options
    edited October 25, 2023 4:39AM

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Aside from injuries there are a lot of positions that are pretty predictable. QBs have a hit or miss rate at all levels mostly because of the situations they get put in. O Line and WRs have an extremely high success rate unless it was just a flat out bad pick

• Options
    edited October 25, 2023 6:08AM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Aside from injuries there are a lot of positions that are pretty predictable. QBs have a hit or miss rate at all levels mostly because of the situations they get put in. O Line and WRs have an extremely high success rate unless it was just a flat out bad pick

Look at Belichick and his WR drafting lol

• Options

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

WOW…… just…….. WOW
    Sometimes it’s hard to believe some things that are posted here but a die hard fan not wanting to beat a division foe?
    If you were a Chiefs fan you would have been kicked out of the kingdom.

What is more valuable to the franchise: a meaningless win in October, or a higher draft position in April?

middle of the pack is the worst place to be. it is better to be fantastic or terrible.

I am more concerned about the long term view.

• Options

@Darin said:

It is true, there are not many guarantees in the NFL draft. I would rather my team at least have a chance at a franchise altering player than an 8-9 season.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

It is true, there are not many guarantees in the NFL draft. I would rather my team at least have a chance at a franchise altering player than an 8-9 season.

In my opinion, you have to split the difference.

We are not getting the top pick. You know we are going to win a few. Beating the Bills is always in style.

• Options

If they're going to finish roughly in the 3-14 to 5-12 range then I'd want to see them beating some of the better teams on their schedule. Buffalo/Miami/Pittsburgh/KC all fall in that group, Philly would have been another one.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

If the front office isn't deadset on a certain QB with their 1st round pick then I have no problem with drafting an elite Left Tackle that will shore up that position for hopefully the next 8-10 years. Then go grab a QB with their 2nd rounder,maybe even trade up if needed.

WR on the other hand has really been BB's achilles heal in the draft since coming to NE. While he's found a few that developed into big game standouts like Deion Branch,Julian Edelman & David Givens, there have been so many that have turned into busts .
    N'Keal Harry,Chad Jackson,Aaron Dobson,Bethel Johnson,Brandon Tate,Taylor Price,Josh Boyce,Malcolm Mitchell (the jury is still out on Tyquan Thornton but its not looking good.)
    All taken in the 1st to 4th rounds and while some of the blame could be put on Brady,his circle of trust was a real thing for most of the 2010s and he had a short lease with young wrs, none of those wrs ever really made an impact in NE or just developed any type of conisistency.

BB has also never drafted what many would consider to be a standout #1 WR. Branch & Edelman eventually became that guy in their own way as slot wideouts but to come out of the draft with someone that gives you a 80/1000/10 season right from the start,that would be like finding a Unicorn in NE lol. Pure fantasy.