Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad we were able to get another L today. feels bad today, but oh so good on draft day!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

that was a great run by Stevenson today

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    That was bad, especially since Washington traded away half their D line at the deadline.

Side note Washington deserves to lose every game as long as they have that horrible name.

Rumor mill is really swirling today though. Reports from "sources" that if Bill doesnt have a big turnaround this is likely his last year and they will just eat the contract. Others have Washington interested in him if hes gone and supposedly Vrable would be the preferred replacement by far.

Could all just be reporters trying to throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks and I wouldnt hold my breath over any of it

why did that moron kraft extend this fraud?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see Mike Vrabel replace Belchick as HC and have his OC be Josh McDaniels & DC be Jerod Mayo. At that point I'd hope Bob Kraft would be willing to spend to find the best fit to run their front office and make the decisions of player personnel.

the only knock against that trio forming is I bet that there have been whispers to both McDaniels & Mayo in recent years hinting that that may get the head coaching job at some point.

• Options

Using Tankathon's draft order,we're currently sitting 5th.
    https://www.tankathon.com/nfl

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I'd love to see Mike Vrabel replace Belchick as HC and have his OC be Josh McDaniels & DC be Jerod Mayo. At that point I'd hope Bob Kraft would be willing to spend to find the best fit to run their front office and make the decisions of player personnel.

the only knock against that trio forming is I bet that there have been whispers to both McDaniels & Mayo in recent years hinting that that may get the head coaching job at some point.

That would be Vrabel coming in as HC, overstepping two guys that we have heard at different times were promised that spot. In a vacuum, or a perfect world, it would be great.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

That would be Vrabel coming in as HC, overstepping two guys that we have heard at different times were promised that spot. In a vacuum, or a perfect world, it would be great.

I'm less worried about who will be the next HC and more worried about who will be the next GM. This is going to be a very important offseason for this franchise in more ways than one.

• Options

^^^^^^ this. if we are going to have a high pick, I really dont want BB making it.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

Speaking of McDaniels apparently the Pats are part of why he got fired

• Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    They should beat Washington today?

Right?

The only comforting thought after the Washington game is that the 2-7 Giants are the only team in the league that has scored less points than the 2-7 Patriots.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Giants’ coach gets really upset when he loses a game. He slams the headset in frustration. It doesn’t seem to matter to BB.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The Giants’ coach gets really upset when he loses a game. He slams the headset in frustration. It doesn’t seem to matter to BB.

bill is excited because he will soon set the record for most losses!

imagine how stupid it is if one guy holds both records :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

Cy Young does! He has over 300 losses!

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

Connie Mack has both in MLB. He also managed like 60 years and owned the team. I'm not a Bill guy by any means but there is kind of a weird badge of honor to be hired enough that you get the most losses ever instead of being fired before that. There is a decent chance though that Bill gets the most losses and not the most wins or that Reid passes his wins even if Bill held that record for a couple years

• Options
    edited November 7, 2023 5:40AM

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

BB will be like baseball pitcher Cy Young who won 511 games, but lost 315 which is a record. Connie Mack won 3,731 games but lost 3,948. Both are records.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Rumors are swirling that Belichick will be fired soon if he loses in Germany this weekend.

I'm coming around more and more to the possibility of him being fired without the record.

But a mid-season firing? That doesn't feel right to me.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Rumors are swirling that Belichick will be fired soon if he loses in Germany this weekend.

I'm coming around more and more to the possibility of him being fired without the record.

But a mid-season firing? That doesn't feel right to me.

I wouldn't believe any rumors getting thrown around right now other than BB is on the hotseat which we all know is true.

Yesterday there was supposedly a quote on STR that Bob & Johnathan Kraft told a local journalist that they view Mike Vrabel as a potential "home run hire."
    So Vrabel is under contract with the Titans yet the Kraft's have no problem telling some random guy with the local newspaper how they feel about hiring him?

There's a ton of BS being thrown around right now and I wouldn't believe any of it. One day Belichick will be traded to Dallas then the next he's going to Washington. Let's just send him to the Jets and come full circle. 🤣

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 10:06AM

Rumors are rumors but in my opinion there is ZERO chance Belichick gets fired publicly in the middle of the season, no freaking way Kraft tarnishes the legacy this way, let Bill finish off the season with the worst record in the league and then move on behind closed doors.

• Options

If he were going to get fired during the season, it should have been weeks ago. The seasons already lost at this point, I do believe the rumors that they want Vrabel as the replacement which would make even less sense to fire Bill during the season. The Titans arent going to trade their coach during the season which would leave the Pats with an interim HC. Id be shocked if Bill doesnt finish the season

• Options

BB will finish the season.

• Options

This seems odd. JC Jackson missed curfew at the team's hotel last Saturday and now won't be making the trip to Germany even though he played versus Washington on Sunday. Bill Belichick must be slipping because in previous years Jackson would have never suited up for that Commanders game.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38848328/source-patriots-not-expected-take-jc-jackson-germany

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2023 11:26AM

did i dream this up or is Belichick being linked to Washington

if so, why, why, why would he do that. he has more money than he could possibly spend at this point in his life, and he'll die before he ever accomplishes anything in that football wasteland. seriously, the only plausible reason why he'd do such a thing if is he had a mini-stroke like bronco said.

i can see it now, a little Commodes fan talking to his dad. "hey pops, is that that Belichick guy?" that's him son. he's been our coach for 3 years. bless his damn heart, if it weren't for beating the Chicago Bears four times he'd still be winless

• Options

no way. We just played washington and lost to the coach they have now. How does that conversation even work? Lets hire a guy who sucks even more than the guy we are dumping

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

How does that conversation even work?

something like this

we don't know what we're doing, you don't know what you're doing, let's just skip the interviews so we can start focusing on how we're going to royally f*** next season up

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@bronco2078 said:

How does that conversation even work?

something like this

we don't know what we're doing, you don't know what you're doing, let's just skip the interviews so we can start focusing on how we're going to royally f*** next season up

Please, all of you, forgive this off-track indulgence of mine ...

but as I read through that imaginary conversation, I thought of these (obscure) song lyrics...

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    did i dream this up or is Belichick being linked to Washington

if so, why, why, why would he do that. he has more money than he could possibly spend at this point in his life, and he'll die before he ever accomplishes anything in that football wasteland. seriously, the only plausible reason why he'd do such a thing if is he had a mini-stroke like bronco said.

i can see it now, a little Commodes fan talking to his dad. "hey pops, is that that Belichick guy?" that's him son. he's been our coach for 3 years. bless his damn heart, if it weren't for beating the Chicago Bears four times he'd still be winless

Not really being linked in a mutual way, more that Washington has interest in him if hes available

If money was the the motivator he would have retired a decade ago. These guys love coaching. Saban at Alabama is in his 70s, Pete Carrol is in his 70s, Dusty Baker came back to the Astros after being retired and is in his 70s, Bruce Bochy is almost 70 and just came back to the Rangers winning a World Series after being retired a few years as some examples. Every one of them could have walked away a decade or more ago and been fine financially

Bill will likely coach as long as people are willing to give him a head coaching job regardless of where it is

• Options

the emperor bill has no clothes

this guy is such a complete fraud. 20 years of coat tail riding tom brady

every press conference is a delight with this drama queen. He behaves like a 12 year old girl

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

every press conference is a delight with this drama queen. He behaves like a 12 year old girl

It's so true!! 😄😄😄

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

Such a fraud. He had the Patriots contending for almost 20 years. Brady played and won under Belichick. Belichick was the coach and directed everything. Brady and Belichick worked out great for the Patriots .I can not remember any team being that good for 20 years. I don't think Brady would have been that good for 20 years playing with another organization.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2023 7:40AM

@pdoidoi said:

@bronco2078 said:

Such a fraud. He had the Patriots contending for almost 20 years. Brady played and won under Belichick. Belichick was the coach and directed everything. Brady and Belichick worked out great for the Patriots .I can not remember any team being that good for 20 years. I don't think Brady would have been that good for 20 years playing with another organization.

Why wouldn't he? He had so many different Offensive Coordinators and success followed every time, he goes to the Bucs and directed them to a Super Bowl win, Belichick has been steering a sinking ship the moment Brady left

• Options

@perkdog said:

@pdoidoi said:

@bronco2078 said:

Why wouldn't he? He had so many different Offensive Coordinators and success followed every time, he goes to the Bucs and directed them to a Super Bowl win, Belichick has been steering a sinking ship the moment Brady left

And before Brady arrived, with Cleveland (-1), and NE.

Some will just never see the light.

The guy is sub .500 without Tom.

It would be rude to say he’s embarrassing himself now so I won’t go there, but it could get there soon.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2023 8:24AM

@perkdog said:

@pdoidoi said:

@bronco2078 said:

Tom would have been great most anywhere. Think of what his stats would have been had he played on the teams Peyton Manning played on. both colts and broncos. In a dome with the colts.

• Options

I understand the idea that Brady could have been great anywhere, but at the same time I still feel like Brady and Belichick were the perfect storm. You just don't know how Brady would have been somewhere else.

Think of this. Before the Pats started winning SBs during the 2nd half of the dynasty, we used to hear a lot of talk about how many SBs another QB could have win if he played in NE. Manning and Rodgers were often talked about. Looking back, that was silly. And I never agreed. But it was the narrative.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2023 8:38AM

@thisistheshow said:
    I understand the idea that Brady could have been great anywhere, but at the same time I still feel like Brady and Belichick were the perfect storm. You just don't know how Brady would have been somewhere else.

Think of this. Before the Pats started winning SBs during the 2nd half of the dynasty, we used to hear a lot of talk about how many SBs another QB could have win if he played in NE. Manning and Rodgers were often talked about. Looking back, that was silly. And I never agreed. But it was the narrative.

But Manning and Rodgers had far better supporting casts than Brady did before Moss and Welker arrived, obviously he didn't win one with those guys but his offensive weapons were far less for his first 3 Super Bowl wins

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong, I'm a very big Tom Brady fan. I just respect and appreciate what Belichick did for the Patriots. In the early years would the Patriots have won without Adam Vinatieri ? Many people also say it was the Patriots defence that won for the Patriots. May be Belichick does not win without Brady, but I also think Brady is lucky to win half of what he did without Belichick. The Patriots really clicked well with Brady and Belichick and cast. Just remember and be careful what you wish for because you just might get something much worse .

• Options

I wonder if Bulls fans feel so much love towards Phil Jackson the way some Pats fans do towards Belichick.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

But we do know how Brady was somewhere else...

He came to the Bucs and took a losing team that hadnt even been to the playoffs in 12 seasons to a Super Bowl victory. At age 43. In a season where he was learning a brand new offense. During a season when he had no training camp or preseason to learn the new players/playbook.

I feel pretty confident that Brady in his younger years could have done the same, when he had far less mileage and wear and tear on the body.

• Options
    edited November 9, 2023 10:50AM

@pdoidoi said:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a very big Tom Brady fan. I just respect and appreciate what Belichick did for the Patriots. In the early years would the Patriots have won without Adam Vinatieri ? Many people also say it was the Patriots defence that won for the Patriots. May be Belichick does not win without Brady, but I also think Brady is lucky to win half of what he did without Belichick. The Patriots really clicked well with Brady and Belichick and cast. Just remember and be careful what you wish for because you just might get something much worse .

The year before Brady took over for Bledsoe, the BB led Patriots went 5-11 I believe. in 2008, one year removed from the perfect regular season, after losing TB12 in the first game, the BB led patriots missed the playoffs with basically the same roster as the previous season. in 2020, the year after Brady had the patriots in the playoffs, BB's patriots again missed the playoffs.

So... the year before TB started, BB missed the playoffs. the one year TB missed due to injury, BB missed the playoffs. the season after TB left, BB again missed the playoffs.

I am beginning to think this was not luck...

And quite possibly not BB...

• Options
    edited November 9, 2023 5:28PM

@craig44 said:

@pdoidoi said:

The year before Brady took over for Bledsoe, the BB led Patriots went 5-11 I believe. in 2008, one year removed from the perfect regular season, after losing TB12 in the first game, the BB led patriots missed the playoffs with basically the same roster as the previous season. in 2020, the year after Brady had the patriots in the playoffs, BB's patriots again missed the playoffs.

So... the year before TB started, BB missed the playoffs. the one year TB missed due to injury, BB missed the playoffs. the season after TB left, BB again missed the playoffs.

I am beginning to think this was not luck...

And quite possibly not BB...

Exactly. Definitely not luck for Brady in terms of their wins. The luck for Brady was Bledsoe getting hurt. Drafting a major college program QB to be the backup at the end of the draft is pretty standard if you need one. Bill would have never played him if he wasnt forced too from an injury and he would have spent a couple years on the bench and never have been known.

In terms of winning Bill was the one that got lucky Bledsoe got hurt. NFL coaches dont win games, they can lose them though. Good coaching with strategy is important, but they arent out there calling offensive adjustments or running the plays. If coaching were to be more important which some fans do think than they should just be able to plug any players they want into the system and keep winning if the system is more important than the players

• Options

Quite the game so far. LOL

• Options

End of 3rd qtr. Patriots on the move, down 7-3.

Zeke looks like 2016. lol

• Options

There's the Mac Jones that we all know & love. 🤣😂🤣😂

• Options

There's the Mac Jones Bailey Zappe that we all know & love. 🤣😂🤣😂

• Options

@erikthredd said:

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Definitely not for Bobby K. I doubt that he'll be making that quick trip over to Amsterdam for some rest & relaxation now. 😎

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

That’s on BB. You put a QB in that hasn’t played all season with no time outs at your own 14? That was a serious head scratcher.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Definitely not for Bobby K. I doubt that he'll be making that quick trip over to Amsterdam for some rest & relaxation now. 😎

I think you are just setting up the punch line...no, he will be, because now he really needs it.

• Options

Does anyone think that BB will be the Patriot’s coach in 2025? I hope not. He’s washed up.

Jones should gone too. He’s not an NFL quality quarterback.

Next year will be a tough a tough rebuilding year, but at least the Patriots will be rebuilding, not going down the drain.

• Options

So this is what we now call the Patriot Way

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to Craig on the loss🥳