Home Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, the rout is on. Hootie just got surprised by a two point play, and it wasn’t even “the Philly special.” Hootie is embarrassing himself.

Yes, I know. “What have you done for me lately?” Is not fair for a coach who was a winner for two decades. BUT Brady left three years ago, and things have only gotten worse. Mac Jones doesn’t have what it takes. Given the number of players that Hootie has dumped, his patience with this mediocre quarterback is amazing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

28-3.

Mat Jones just threw another touchdown pass for Dallas. It’s too bad the NFL doesn’t have the mercy run.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Looks like Bob Kraft's bet with Jerry Jones isn't going well and he'll be paying for the happy endings this time around. 😎

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    We used to make other teams look dumb.

those were the days!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

call to the bullpen, dont worry, be Zappe!

• Options

do we have an official QB controversy on our hands?

• Options

man alive is this ugly. Mac is not the guy.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad we wasted draft picks on a kicker and punter.

In an imaginary world where we have a better roster, we'd still be sloppy and undisciplined, with poor coaching.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will Mac Jones ever improve or is this as good as it gets?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

nope, this is as good as it gets. noodle arm and poor decision-making. He kept rolling to his right and trying to throw across the field like he had John Elways arm attached to his right shoulder.

• Options

Just heard on the telecast that this is the worst loss of Hoodies career as a head coach.

• Options

Hopefully Judon's elbow and Gonzalez shoulder aren't longterm. Neither looked good.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Hopefully Judon's elbow and Gonzalez shoulder aren't longterm. Neither looked good.

I agree. both would be devastating

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@Steven59 said:

nope, this is as good as it gets. noodle arm and poor decision-making. He kept rolling to his right and trying to throw across the field like he had John Elways arm attached to his right shoulder.

His arm strength is fine and its not entirely his fault. I know some people got upset with me for being critical of the Pats draft using their first three picks on defense and a 4th rounder on a kicker, but Jones needs help and weapons that they just arent giving him. Hes not going to be elite or a HOFer but hes also not getting any help with their roster. The best QBs all have weapons and only a few can elevate average guys into very good guys

• Options
    edited October 1, 2023 7:57PM

Mac could have had Jerry Rice and Randy Moss out there to throw to but it wouldn't have mattered. Go back and look at the three turnovers.
    the fumble recovery for a TD had Mac running forward then getting hit from behind and the ball got scooped up on the way to the endzone. He should have had better pocket awareness that close to the endzone.

His pick 6 and his other INT had the defensive back breaking for the ball,on both plays, the second that he looked in that WR's direction.

Yes,I absolutely agree that BB could/should have drafted better players at the skill positions but those turnovers where all on Mac for not taking in the overall picture.

• Options

Having Rice and Moss would have absolutely mattered. A below average QB could be good if not very good with those two when all you have to do is throw the ball up and let the WRs do the work. Mac was elite in college because he had those WRs and RBs

If you put Mac on the Dolphins, Bills, or Jets he would be a good QB. Hes not a world beater but the lack of weapons basically assures he will fail

• Options

Mac has regressed. He played a terrible game. There is plenty to complain about , but he was a big part of the problem.

• Options

No it wouldn't have mattered at all, go actually watch those INTs again.

The first one Mac was out to the right and looking back across the field for Bourne(?) and the CB had a running start to get there in time for the pick. I don't know if Mac was just feeling comfortable because they ran a similar play before that where Mac was out to the right and hit Gesicki back near that same area as that interception for a 1st down.

Then on the 2nd INT he was throwing it to Juju with the DB in between them. It was an absolutely horrible throw from Mac.

I AGREE that this team has needed better players at the skills positions, Us Pats fans have beating this drum longer than you've been around Basebal but today those horrible decisions were all on Mac not some WR.

• Options

It would have mattered tough. INTs arent always on the QB. Rice was elite at running routes and Moss could take the top off the defense at will. Its obviously not really realistic to expect to have that kind of talent but WRs and a sketchy line do contribute to INTs. Dallas basically lined up saying we know were better than you and were jumping routes the WRs were probably telegraphing with how they ran them.

I'm not saying Mac is anything better than average to good and he wouldnt be my first pick, but to put all the blame on him in a situation that no QB would flourish in isnt fair to him either.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the replay of the post-game press conference with Belichick.

For a moment there, I thought he might go "postal" on the reporters. 😲

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Steven59 said:

His arm strength is fine and its not entirely his fault. I know some people got upset with me for being critical of the Pats draft using their first three picks on defense and a 4th rounder on a kicker, but Jones needs help and weapons that they just arent giving him. Hes not going to be elite or a HOFer but hes also not getting any help with their roster. The best QBs all have weapons and only a few can elevate average guys into very good guys

His arm strength is not fine, he is an effort thrower and really needs to wind up to get the ball out with any velo. his "deep" balls are inaccurate and seldom used in the game plan because his arm is weak and he has to really load up to get the ball out past 35-40 yards and cannot put any touch on those passes because he has to effort them out.

deep outs are also not in the arsenal because it is too dangerous for him to throw them because he doesnt have the velo on the ball. no arm strength to throw off his back foot when under pressure. definitely not the arm strength to roll out and throw across the field. when he needs to really whistle a ball into a small window, he needs to load up so much to get that velo that his accuracy is shot and he gets overthrows or throws behind the receiver. Even Zappe (who is not good) has more zip on his ball than Mac. Mac is limiting the game plan because he is incapable of making some passes accurately due to having to load up so much to generate the velo to deliver the ball.

If you watch the games, you will see what I am seeing. A noodle armed QB.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2023 5:44AM

@erikthredd said:
    No it wouldn't have mattered at all, go actually watch those INTs again.

The first one Mac was out to the right and looking back across the field for Bourne(?) and the CB had a running start to get there in time for the pick. I don't know if Mac was just feeling comfortable because they ran a similar play before that where Mac was out to the right and hit Gesicki back near that same area as that interception for a 1st down.

Then on the 2nd INT he was throwing it to Juju with the DB in between them. It was an absolutely horrible throw from Mac.

I AGREE that this team has needed better players at the skills positions, Us Pats fans have beating this drum longer than you've been around Basebal but today those horrible decisions were all on Mac not some WR.

I am going to agree here. Mac made some terrible decisions. The Int. were just horrible. The coaching staff agreed when they pulled him.

Mac is very very average at best and terrible at his worst.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom line is Bob Kraft needs to hand the keys to Jonathan and Jonathan needs to have a very frank discussion with Hoodie on how he wants his exit to go, then start completely over.

I'm actually glad they got stomped rather than losing another close game where they were in it all game, the team is a disaster and it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later..

They might win 5 games this year.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    The bottom line is Bob Kraft needs to hand the keys to Jonathan and Jonathan needs to have a very frank discussion with Hoodie on how he wants his exit to go, then start completely over.

I'm actually glad they got stomped rather than losing another close game where they were in it all game, the team is a disaster and it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later..

They need a team to evaluate draft talent and a dedicated GM.

plus they lost their top 2 defenders yesterday. I heard Judon has a torn bicep

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is my unbiased take. the game has passed Belichick by. the Patriots are devoid of talent on the field, and he made a number of dubious coaching decisions throughout that game yesterday. it's time for him to go so that franchise can start fresh. and next season is the perfect time to do it. the college ranks are loaded with QB prospects who will be available in next year's draft. i know this probably won't happen, but if BB was jettisoned and a new coach with a fresh approach rolled in and got his hands on one of the stud signal callers that are coming out, that would be the first step in the road to recovery for New England.

but as long as BB is around, it's not gonna happen.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

They need a team to evaluate draft talent and a dedicated GM.

** plus they lost their top 2 defenders yesterday. I heard Judon has a torn bicep**

They're currently down their top 4 cornerbacks. Marcus/Jack Jones are on IR, Jonathan Jones hasn't played since the opener and Gonzalez just had a dislocated shoulder in that Dallas game. Losing Judon most of all is going to hurt.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    this is my unbiased take. the game has passed Belichick by. the Patriots are devoid of talent on the field, and he made a number of dubious coaching decisions throughout that game yesterday. it's time for him to go so that franchise can start fresh. and next season is the perfect time to do it. the college ranks are loaded with QB prospects who will be available in next year's draft. i know this probably won't happen, but if BB was jettisoned and a new coach with a fresh approach rolled in and got his hands on one of the stud signal callers that are coming out, that would be the first step in the road to recovery for New England.

but as long as BB is around, it's not gonna happen.

His pursuit of the HC wins record might drag out on another team. This is the first time I am saying this. I never thought it possible that there would be a scenario other than him being allowed to stay in and coach.

It would be interesting to see him go elsewhere, in the sense that he was so good, and perhaps it would give him enough spark to re-find the glory for a bit of a run.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill sucks . Mac most likely sucks , Zappe sucks and they stomped on him all off season for no reason

Bill has lost his marbles with anything offense related. Running Myers out of town then dumpster diving to replace him , drafting useless special teams players . Teams literally dont need any special teams players at all any more.
    The OL is trash and everyone knew it and they did nothing why?

any QB we might have had would still be running for his life. Running game sucks too

Bill is a defense guy supposedly so why is the defense wretched also?

• Options

I think it is time to tank and duke it out with chicago for the first pick next season

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I think it is time to tank and duke it out with chicago for the first pick next season

bill would draft another special team stiff #1 overall

• Options

I don't ever see Kraft or Belichick tanking even though its probably their best move going forward.
    Kraft loves the limelight too much and he can't gain anymore clout picking at the top of the draft.
    In Belichick's case its probably sacrilegious to tank football games when he's been groomed from a young age to do all you can to win that next game.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

bill would draft another special team stiff #1 overall

No,Bill would trade back 11 times so he could draft an entire special teams unit. 😎

• Options

kraft is is a bigger attention w***e than jerry jones

oh lets build a lighthouse instead of signing top end free agents

then him and bill point fingers at each other over whoose fault it is

what is keeping bill here at all but attention seeking behavior?

he is clearly past it he doesn't deserve to weekend at bernies his way to a record

fire him and no one would hire him to get the rest of the wins

kreepy kraft can retire to his strip mall massage parlor and let his kid take over

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

Don't forget the new Jumbotron so people at the game can watch the game like they were at home. 🤣

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Don't forget the new Jumbotron so people at the game can watch the game like they were at home. 🤣

i know right? :D big tv set thats what we need

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

i know right? :D big tv set thats what we need

That Lighthouse/Jumbotron renovation cost the team about 250M.
    That 250 could cover:
    an All-Pro caliber Left tackle
    a Pro bowl caliber right Tackle
    a #1 wideout
    a #1 TE
    plus all of the S/T's role players that Bill could ever imagine.

Thanks Bob Kraft!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just saw on the news that the townspeople holding torches have gathered around the house of Bill Belichick.

• Options

:D Bill is a joke , the whole superbowl run was 99% tom
    he cant draft offense at all
    coaching staff is all relatives or idiots
    for some reason he thinks special teams is still part of the game
    pays up for special teams long snapper , matt slater , meanwhile special teams were awful yesterday
    players all have to kneel and kiss his fraudulent rings (that tom won) so anyone who spoke up about his idiotic joe and pat show last year was run out of town
    juju takes myers spot for the same money and he is injured from the get go myers is having a decent year it looks like

Parker? what does this clown even do? contested catch! who wants that anyway? No one
    butchered the QB position 4 years running and treats the QB's horribly anyway. Cam sucks up to him he fires him over refusing the death Vax , brings in Hoyer (who is awful) cuts him loose for speaking up , throws mac under the bus last year then throws Zappe under the bus this year off season brings in some goofball for a day cuts him loose
    drafted a QB this year cut him

I think bill is brain damaged , his whole existence is fraudulent , everything he was credited for was actually won by Tom brady or Bill Parcells

6 or 8 penalties a week? :D

running game is bad Oline is bad , idiots bring guns to logan airport (better keep that guy :D )

Fire this idiot now

• Options

@craig44 said:

bro we currently have 1 & 2. do not muck this up for us. we're more than capable of doing that ourselves. if we draft the top two highest rated players coming out, we'll completely emasculate those kids within 2 years

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@craig44 said:

bro we currently have 1 & 2. do not muck this up for us. we're more than capable of doing that ourselves. if we draft the top two highest rated players coming out, we'll completely emasculate those kids within 2 years

hahahaha I dont know. I think we may give you a run for your money this year!

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    pays up for special teams long snapper , matt slater , meanwhile special teams were awful yesterday
    players all have to kneel and kiss his fraudulent rings (that tom won) so anyone who spoke up about his idiotic joe and pat show last year was run out of town
    juju takes myers spot for the same money and he is injured from the get go myers is having a decent year it looks like

Parker? what does this clown even do? contested catch! who wants that anyway? No one
    butchered the QB position 4 years running and treats the QB's horribly anyway. Cam sucks up to him he fires him over refusing the death Vax , brings in Hoyer (who is awful) cuts him loose for speaking up , throws mac under the bus last year then throws Zappe under the bus this year off season brings in some goofball for a day cuts him loose

I think bill is brain damaged , his whole existence is fraudulent , everything he was credited for was actually won by Tom brady or Bill Parcells

running game is bad Oline is bad , idiots bring guns to logan airport (better keep that guy :D )

Fire this idiot now

dude you are like that hot girl I threw away........I never knew what I had until you were gone

so glad you are back to put things in proper perspective 😂

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@bronco2078 said:

Fire this idiot now

dude you are like that hot girl I threw away........I never knew what I had until you were gone

so glad you are back to put things in proper perspective 😂

Yes!! 😄😄😄😄😄

• Options

the entire rise of the patriots was due to TB12

Bill would still be glaring at high school kids without Tom

• Options

TB12 the person

not tom's goofy metrosexual clinics with the duck antler juice injection and sleep hanging from the ceiling like grandpa munster routines

great football player but weird dude

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    TB12 the person

not tom's goofy metrosexual clinics with the duck antler juice injection and sleep hanging from the ceiling like grandpa munster routines

Agreed, I would have no interest in even meeting the guy

Another thing he was great at was when being asked a direct question he would literally talk in riddles and go completely in circles while talking and evade the question itself and leave the reporter questioning himself deciphering what Tom said lol

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:
    TB12 the person

Another thing he was great at was when being asked a direct question he would literally talk in riddles and go completely in circles while talking and evade the question itself and leave the reporter questioning himself deciphering what Tom said lol

Agreed. Tommy would make a great politician.

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:
    TB12 the person

Agreed. Tommy would make a great politician.

Before I read your comment I said the same thing.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

@Steven59 said:

His arm strength is not fine, he is an effort thrower and really needs to wind up to get the ball out with any velo. his "deep" balls are inaccurate and seldom used in the game plan because his arm is weak and he has to really load up to get the ball out past 35-40 yards and cannot put any touch on those passes because he has to effort them out.

deep outs are also not in the arsenal because it is too dangerous for him to throw them because he doesnt have the velo on the ball. no arm strength to throw off his back foot when under pressure. definitely not the arm strength to roll out and throw across the field. when he needs to really whistle a ball into a small window, he needs to load up so much to get that velo that his accuracy is shot and he gets overthrows or throws behind the receiver. Even Zappe (who is not good) has more zip on his ball than Mac. Mac is limiting the game plan because he is incapable of making some passes accurately due to having to load up so much to generate the velo to deliver the ball.

If you watch the games, you will see what I am seeing. A noodle armed QB.

Accuracy and strength are two different things. His "deep ball wrs" arent exactly great either. Theyre seldom thrown because they cant block long enough and they dont have the wrs to be throwing them often, When he had Devonta,and Jameson Williams his deep balls were just fine and Williams especially is significantly faster than anyone they have.

Hes not a noodle arm qb but I can understand wanting to put the blame on that. Theres at least 10 starting NFL qbs with weaker arms. Hes right in the middle of the pack which is just fine arm strength to succeed, not everyone has to be Jeff George throwing a 100 mphs every throw

• Options

right?
    the so called greatest coach of all time forgot that the O Line is what allows actual plays to be made. Jones could make throws if he had more time , they dont give him time , he cant do play action because he cant turn his back n the rush, they cant even run block either.
    Why do we still have trent brown? has he ever been a good fit or even available on a regular basis?
    I think bill had a stroke 10 years ago and its been weekend at bernies ever since