New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Basebal21 said:

@thisistheshow said:
    As of now, I like us to win double digit games. Some will call that delusional.

We were an 8 win team last year, and we should show significant improvement in enough ways to add 2 more.

Even adding 2 likely just keeps it at 8. Those 2 wins from the Jets are very likely gone. Its almost impossible for Rodgers to be as bad as their QBs were last year and those were still close one score games. They also have to play the Eagles and Chiefs, Chargers arent exactly a pushover either but generally find a way to lose.

Theres rumors the Pats will lose a home game that will be played in Germany as well

Your lack of belief in the Patriots is just going to make this upcoming season all the sweeter!

And youll be more than welcome to say I told you so if they pull off the impossible. I have them finishing 4th now that the Jets have a real QB that just has to be average and will likely be better than that. Maybe 3rd since I dont really believe in Tuas ability to play a full season and the Dolphins are a different team when hes hurt.

Even if they get the German game that can be a whatever since both teams have to travel there, but theres no way around the fact that KC and Philly both being on the schedule is an issue. Steelers arent what they once were but having to go there is hardly ideal as well.

Short of everyone else getting a ton of injuries I dont see anyway they could win the division

Yes, they will be in Germany. Playing the Saints.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@Basebal21 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Basebal21 said:

@thisistheshow said:

We were an 8 win team last year, and we should show significant improvement in enough ways to add 2 more.

Even adding 2 likely just keeps it at 8. Those 2 wins from the Jets are very likely gone. Its almost impossible for Rodgers to be as bad as their QBs were last year and those were still close one score games. They also have to play the Eagles and Chiefs, Chargers arent exactly a pushover either but generally find a way to lose.

Theres rumors the Pats will lose a home game that will be played in Germany as well

Your lack of belief in the Patriots is just going to make this upcoming season all the sweeter!

And youll be more than welcome to say I told you so if they pull off the impossible. I have them finishing 4th now that the Jets have a real QB that just has to be average and will likely be better than that. Maybe 3rd since I dont really believe in Tuas ability to play a full season and the Dolphins are a different team when hes hurt.

Even if they get the German game that can be a whatever since both teams have to travel there, but theres no way around the fact that KC and Philly both being on the schedule is an issue. Steelers arent what they once were but having to go there is hardly ideal as well.

Short of everyone else getting a ton of injuries I dont see anyway they could win the division

Yes, they will be in Germany. Playing the Saints.

That turns what should have likely been a win into a very lose able game

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

We actually should have won 10 or had a very good chance at 10 Wins, the Raiders game that they literally gave away, and the Cincy game where they fumbled

• Options

My girlfriends brother in law is an iron worker and he is working at Gillette, check out the size of this scoreboard...

• Options

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-qb-power-rankings-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-both-crack-top-10-in-first-rundown-of-all-32-starters/

Mac Jones not seeing any love on this list. Atleast they put him above Baker...but he's still below all of the unproven rookies.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-qb-power-rankings-lamar-jackson-aaron-rodgers-both-crack-top-10-in-first-rundown-of-all-32-starters/

Mac Jones not seeing any love on this list. Atleast they put him above Baker...but he's still below all of the unproven rookies.

I think that that list is pretty fair after how his second season played out. Pats fans saw how each and every play called by the OC went down,saw him get hurt then benched first game back and know it wasn't all his fault.
    All of the other NFL fans watched postgame clips of him throwing an INT then read the boxscore and assumed it was all his fault alone when the Pats lost.

I'm on record saying that I think they'll be much better offensively than last season and their win total will reflect that, how many more wins than 2022 remains to be seen.

• Options

I will say that its really odd seeing Geno Smith ranked in the top half of those rankings. He went from playing horrible for the Jets to bouncing around the league as an afterthought to now seeing the Seahawks sort of buidling around him. Good for Geno for persevering and Pete Carroll for putting in the time with him to get him to this point. I don't play FF but with the passing targets he now has I'm assuming he'd be considered a solid fantasy pick at QB.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2023 3:00AM

@thisistheshow said:

Pretty solid list overall.

Couple things do jump out. Young should be ahead of Fields but since Carolina doesnt plan on playing Young this year I can see dropping him down. Wilson was so bad last year he really should be in the Jones Baker area but theres some QBs that are probably going to be really bad behind him so really isnt worth nitpicking.

The big one is Purdy at 12. Thats preposterously high. He started a couple games, was okay in a loaded offensive, was average at Iowa state and drafted last for a reason. If for no other reason he also just had a UCL surgery which is also known by Tommy John. His surgery was delayed with inflammation and while not a complete replacement and QBs recover faster than pitchers, hes still several weeks away from being able to throw a football. This isnt a HOF guy or 1st pick where you could say the talent level keeps him there, its an average QB coming off a serious UCL injury in his throwing arm. Theres just no way to say he should be 12 or even in the top half at all. The injury alone should put him in the bottom at the very least until he proves hes can play again. Theres a couple I would take a chance on him over, but its a very small list

• Options

Regarding that list of QB's I think Trevor Lawrence breaks into the top 5 this season

• Options

Sounds like Bob Kraft is planning to honor Brady at the home opener later this year, I wonder if Tom is going to sign with the Pats so he could retire with them. If Brady does sign with NE how cool would it be to see BB let him take over one drive during that game or if we get into the redzone let him run a few plays to see if he can get them into the endzone. Could this al happen without Mac becoming an emotional wreck afterwards lol?

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Sounds like Bob Kraft is planning to honor Brady at the home opener later this year, I wonder if Tom is going to sign with the Pats so he could retire with them. If Brady does sign with NE how cool would it be to see BB let him take over one drive during that game or if we get into the redzone let him run a few plays to see if he can get them into the endzone. Could this al happen without Mac becoming an emotional wreck afterwards lol?

Sounds epic but no way hoodie would ever consider that and Brady would laugh if that was actually on the table.

Overall it's great they are going to honor him, it should be rocking there once he is announced, it would be nice if Edelman and Gronk are there as well, maybe a couple other guys would add to the fun.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2023 10:34AM

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Sounds epic but no way hoodie would ever consider that and Brady would laugh if that was actually on the table.

Overall it's great they are going to honor him, it should be rocking there once he is announced, it would be nice if Edelman and Gronk are there as well, maybe a couple other guys would add to the fun.

We need to find some very obscure record that Brady can reach on one series then let Bill know about it. He's the same guy that put Vinny Testaverde into a game just to throw at least one td for a record 20 straight seasons. He also put Flutie in a game to perform the first drop-kicked extra point in like 40-50 years.

How about this one, let Mac throw a TD to Brady lol? 😎
    Actually Tom may end up like this kid, NVM. 😉
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuPd4L7_0uQ

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking about the drop kick. they should sign him for a game and let him come in and perform a drop kick.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I'm seeing Brady is in talks to buy into the Raiders.

• Options

DeAnder Hopkins just got released by the Cards. Back when he was available in trade these were the teams that he listed he'd like to go to but those cap numbers have likely changed by now.
    I'd say NE is a real longshot especially when they have roughly 13M in cap space but 3 of their top draft picks to still sign.

• Options

I would see him going to the Chiefs or Bills, with them funding a way to make it work.

• Options
    edited May 26, 2023 3:32PM

@erikthredd said:
    DeAnder Hopkins just got released by the Cards. Back when he was available in trade these were the teams that he listed he'd like to go to but those cap numbers have likely changed by now.
    I'd say NE is a real longshot especially when they have roughly 13M in cap space but 3 of their top draft picks to still sign.

Cap space really ever isnt an issue. You can always restructure contracts and turn money into signing bonuses as one way to get around it. The NFL isnt a hard cap and its more of a gentleman agreement with owners not to take complete advantage of it but some owners still will do it here and there.

If I was him Jones wouldnt be the guy I wanted to go sign with now that I can go anywhere, but cap space wont be the issue if it doesnt happen.

Aside from huge differences in money my guess will be he will want to go somewhere that he thinks he can win it all. The number of WRs really shouldnt be much of an issue most places as he is better than a lot of them and would just push them out of their role if he signed

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Cap space really ever isnt an issue. You can always restructure contracts and turn money into signing bonuses as one way to get around it. The NFL isnt a hard cap and its more of a gentleman agreement with owners not to take complete advantage of it but some owners still will do it here and there.

If I was him Jones wouldnt be the guy I wanted to go sign with now that I can go anywhere, but cap space wont be the issue if it doesnt happen.

Aside from huge differences in money my guess will be he will want to go somewhere that he thinks he can win it all. The number of WRs really shouldnt be much of an issue most places as he is better than a lot of them and would just push them out of their role if he signed

Yeah,i agree that NE would be far from his first choice or even his 5-6th for that matter. I only mentioned the Pats cap number because even though BB could obviously make more room,its not likely going to happen due to certain factors.
    I haven't checked which of their draft picks haven't signed yet but I do know its mostly the higher picks plus Bill likes keeping a certain amount of just in case cap space available for use throughout the season.
    With Hopkins, he'd probably have to overpay to get him to agree to a deal compared to other teams giving him a better shot at winning and the time for freeing up that type of cap space has passed.

• Options
    edited May 27, 2023 3:21AM

D Hop wants a real shot at a ring,

Pats won't even be on his radar

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

Yeah,i agree that NE would be far from his first choice or even his 5-6th for that matter. I only mentioned the Pats cap number because even though BB could obviously make more room,its not likely going to happen due to certain factors.
    I haven't checked which of their draft picks haven't signed yet but I do know its mostly the higher picks plus Bill likes keeping a certain amount of just in case cap space available for use throughout the season.
    With Hopkins, he'd probably have to overpay to get him to agree to a deal compared to other teams giving him a better shot at winning and the time for freeing up that type of cap space has passed.

The thing with NFL cap space is it just doesnt matter, its whatever the owner is willing to spend. You can do the deals and turn salary into signing bonuses lowering the cap hit and extending out the contract etc if you really want too. I wouldnt do that right now if im Kraft since I dont think they have any chance to win it all, but they easily could if they wanted just as any team could. No team has ever missed out on a player because of cap space in a system designed to be manipulated, unless the owner isnt interested in doing so. A lot of the owners will do so if they are winning a lot or feel this could put them over the edge, but none will if they think theyre going to be middle of the pack or lower

Hes already said he wants to play with Maholmes, Herbert, Hurts, Allen, or Jackson (not sure why he wouldnt want Burrow on that list but I guess those were his favorites). The weird one is Herbert, hes a stud but he said on I AM Athlete podcast (Brandon Marshalls podcast) he wants a great defense too and well thats just not the Chargers who always find a way to lose, but I guess hed make an exception there.

• Options
  • Options

Id love to get him here. It seems unlikely to me, as I would think he wants to go to a contender.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Id love to get him here. It seems unlikely to me, as I would think he wants to go to a contender.

Visiting the Titans & Patriots may say otherwise. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

Visiting the Titans & Patriots may say otherwise. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Or...he knows that we are going to ball out...🤷

• Options

I highly doubt D Hop will be a Patriot, poor guy has been thrown to the wolves in AZ, at this point I'm sure he wants to be on a contender but if he is visiting the Titans then maybe I'm wrong.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I highly doubt D Hop will be a Patriot, poor guy has been thrown to the wolves in AZ, at this point I'm sure he wants to be on a contender but if he is visiting the Titans then maybe I'm wrong.

I have a feeling it might be more about money than it would be about winning. He was due to make some good money this season (IIRC over 30M) but now he's trying to find a team after most,if not all,have already spent their cap space during free agency. I could see a scenario where he signs a one year deal somehwere that he thinks may lead to a big statistical year then next offseason he finds that last big contract.

Or he could just sign with a contender. 🤷‍♂️

• Options

Raekwon McMillan has a torn achilles and is done for the season months before its even started.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Raekwon McMillan has a torn achilles and is done for the season months before its even started.

Apparently I'm not dialed in, because I didn't even know who he is.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

One of their backup LBs that played in 16 games last year lol.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

One of their backup LBs that played in 16 games last year lol.

Yeah, I looked him up before posting that, so I knew I was embarrassing myself, but...I have a certain, special way of watching things and not always seeing what everyone else does, so I will sometimes cone away lacking pertinent information. And the last one or two or ten years, I have not been great with this sort of thing. Lol

• Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZw8GYnlGC0
    My first thought after hearing Mac take this subtle shot at Belichick was good for you,kid and had me thinking back to the scene in Goodfellas where Spider forgets Tommy's drink then after they start arguing about it Tommy shoots him in the foot.
    Then the next time they all get together for a card game Tommy starts teasing Spider,
    who then tells Tommy to go F himself
    which leads to Jimmy giving him a nice tip and saying something like Good for you for standing up for yourself
    which then angers Tommy before he, ah, ends Spider's part in this story.
    NSFW - VERY STRONG LANGUAGE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO0pASt4IIU
    All I want to know is,which guy covering the Pats is going to play Jimmy here and instigate some conflict between Mac & Billy B? 😎🤣😉

• Options

That's the kind of drama that bad teams have. We need to start winning. Lol

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    That's the kind of drama that bad teams have. We need to start winning. Lol

Exactly

• Options

I'm on Mac's side if this drama is in fact going on, granted Jones hasn't progressed like everyone hoped BUT his supporting cast of coaches and offensive weapons hasn't been all that great and Hoodie owns part of that, I'm glad Mac is sticking up for himself and not caving to Bill and his militant way

• Options

I doubt that there's any additional drama going on over that Mac quote. That was NBC Sports Boston's lame attempt at trying to cause up a stir, maybe the STR idiots tried keeping it going but I haven't listened to any of them to find out.
    My Goodfellas comparison was just posted for a laugh.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I doubt that there's any additional drama going on over that Mac quote. That was NBC Sports Boston's lame attempt at trying to cause up a stir, maybe the STR idiots tried keeping it going but I haven't listened to any of them to find out.
    My Goodfellas comparison was just posted for a laugh.

In all seriousness, I can interpret Macs comments as a passive aggressive way of pointing out last year's flailings. I don't necessarily agree that it shows the best maturity level on his part, if thats the case. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that putting Patricia in charge of the offense was a major mistake.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2023 5:48PM

NE extended DeVante Parker at 3yr/33M w/just14M guaranteed plus a ton of room for incentives. His restructure gives the team about 3.7M in extra cap space.
    Also sad news regarding former Pats QB Ryan Mallett who drowned while out swimming.
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37924883/former-arkansas-nfl-qb-ryan-mallett-dies-35

• Options

Parker is either on the downside of his career or a product of the Pats inept passing attack, hopefully he can step up more now that Ju Ju is lining up on the other side.

Sad about Mallet

• Options
    edited June 30, 2023 3:09PM

Here's another minor restructure/extension with LB Ja'Whaun Bentley who has been pretty good in recent years. He's now signed thru 2025.
    https://www.patspulpit.com/2023/6/30/23779571/patriots-jawhaun-bentley-contract-extension-analysis

The full details aren't available yet but between this extension and the DeVante Parker one, its sounds like BB is trying to free up more cap space for a possible DeAndre Hopkins or Dalvin Cook offer. Reports were that they already made Hopkins an offer,this could mean there could be a slightly higher second offer coming.

• Options

I do like Bentley

• Options

I'll be watching preseason , starting Aug 10th, but I am sort of avoiding the daily news out of camp. It seems to be a bit in the negative side, lol, specifically regarding the offense.

I'd like to let everything come together a bit, watch the preseason, see who we have on the final roster and practice squad, and go from there.

I don't think this year is all about the record. It's about making progress. Meaning cleaning up mistakes, special teams, situational football, ...all the things we used to do well.

Correct me if im wrong, but I don't believe we had any one score game's last year. A subpar team with a bunch of close losses can turn it around during the subsequent season pretty regularly. Based on our schedule, and the QBs we will face, I can see us only winning 8 or fewer games, even 6. But if we look right doing it, I will feel confident for the next year.

If we can split the division, that will be huge. Heck, even going 2-4 in division might be considered good.

I've obviously lost some hope for the year. Lol.

• Options

Ezekiel Elliott is coming to Foxboro for a FA visit. If BB isn't going to sign/trade for a #1 wideout then I'm ok with building up the RB group. Zeke or Cook would make for a decent 2nd option in a tandem with Stevenson.
    Where Bill missed out on Hopkins even though he freed up enough cap space to sign him,he could use some of the space on of the RBs. Maybe give one a decent one year salary.

I just checked and they own all of their 2024 draft picks so BB could also trade for a player with some salary as another option.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

We haven't even seen them play yet lol. Way to early to give up hope.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

We haven't even seen them play yet lol. Way to early to give up hope.

I haven't given up hope. Just lost some. That's why I say I am going to avoid too much Pats media. It all seems negative.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Ezekiel Elliott is coming to Foxboro for a FA visit. If BB isn't going to sign/trade for a #1 wideout then I'm ok with building up the RB group. Zeke or Cook would make for a decent 2nd option in a tandem with Stevenson.
    Where Bill missed out on Hopkins even though he freed up enough cap space to sign him,he could use some of the space on of the RBs. Maybe give one a decent one year salary.

I just checked and they own all of their 2024 draft picks so BB could also trade for a player with some salary as another option.

How cheap would Zeke be? There's been, as far as I know, literally zero interest in him, with any and all stories just smoke shows by his people.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

How cheap would Zeke be? There's been, as far as I know, literally zero interest in him, with any and all stories just smoke shows by his people.

I honestly don't know,I just saw the headline that he was coming to Foxboro for a visit. I was thinking a 1yr/5M type of deal which would give him the 13th highest RB salary for 2023.
    Or do the same with Dalvin Cook,it gives them a decent salary for the season and gives them a chance to have a good year then hit the market again. Obviously teams aren't beating down the doors to signs these RBs right now.

NE freed up enough cap space to potentially sign a couple of the better free agents still out there,the only question is would Bill do that? There's some decent players still sitting around waiting for teams to call.
    https://nfltraderumors.co/top-100-2023-nfl-free-agents-list/

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I honestly don't know,I just saw the headline that he was coming to Foxboro for a visit. I was thinking a 1yr/5M type of deal which would give him the 13th highest RB salary for 2023.
    Or do the same with Dalvin Cook,it gives them a decent salary for the season and gives them a chance to have a good year then hit the market again. Obviously teams aren't beating down the doors to signs these RBs right now.

NE freed up enough cap space to potentially sign a couple of the better free agents still out there,the only question is would Bill do that? There's some decent players still sitting around waiting for teams to call.
    https://nfltraderumors.co/top-100-2023-nfl-free-agents-list/

I love the idea of mostly not paying much for RBs and just cycling through them in rookie deals. Maybe re-signing some dependable ones on the cheap.

How Zeke got so high on that list is a head scratcher, imo.

The last time I looked at it, I liked the look of our RB room. I'd like to see us address some veteran depth at OT.

• Options

Speaking of Zeke...if I had to guess he won't play in the league again.

There's a lot of miles on those tires. I enjoyed watching him with the Cowboys. He did have a stretch of being quite out of shape, which was disappointing. And he completely conned Jerry Jones into giving him that huge contract unnecessarily early.

But he was fun to watch. Lacked discipline it seemed. Coming out of college, there were rumors/actually more like verified reports that he was a heavy partier/ drug user (I'm not talking just marijuana).

At one time he was super motivated and exceptional. One of his more famous plays that perhaps some here haven't seen...check out this hit, as a true freshman, playing ginner on special teams. This is with his team up I think 49-0. Very different than the guy who was seen quitting on turnovers in the NFL.

https://youtu.be/Xt99HRQx3Xo

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

There's a lot of miles on those tires. I enjoyed watching him with the Cowboys. He did have a stretch of being quite out of shape, which was disappointing. And he completely conned Jerry Jones into giving him that huge contract unnecessarily early.

But he was fun to watch. Lacked discipline it seemed. Coming out of college, there were rumors/actually more like verified reports that he was a heavy partier/ drug user (I'm not talking just marijuana).

At one time he was super motivated and exceptional. One of his more famous plays that perhaps some here haven't seen...check out this hit, as a true freshman, playing ginner on special teams. This is with his team up I think 49-0. Very different than the guy who was seen quitting on turnovers in the NFL.

I think that they could use one more RB. They let Damian Harris walk and the RB that they signed in free agency to a 2yr deal,James Robinson,has already been waived with what I'm assuming to be injury/health concerns.
    I honestly don't care if its Zeke or Cook or even Fournette,we're talking about, whoever it is being the 2nd option behind Stevenson so its not like the player would be expected to shoulder a #1 RB's workload. If Bill can't find a #1 WR then they should hang their hat on the run game until seeing what Mac looks like with BoB calling the plays.

That was a great hit in that video. 👍

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

He'll play again if he wants too. He should have enough money he doesnt have too though. Itll just depend on if hell be willing to take a lower salary and be a backup type situation. Hes got 7 years already and if he can get 10 itll max out his retirement pension. Hed probably actually be better in a more part time role at this point anyways