Homeβ€Ί Sports Talk
Options

New England Patriots 2023 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding Meyers and Ju Ju, there is no question in my mind that Ju Ju has better hands

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

LB Mack Wilson re-signed on a 1yr/2M deal. Their entire 2022 LB core is returning for 2023.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    LB Mack Wilson re-signed on a 1yr/2M deal. Their entire 2022 LB core is returning for 2023.

LB position was strong so this is good

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

LB position was strong so this is good

98.5 doesn't think so and they're absolutely killing their free agent moves right now which is no surprise lol.

The LBs were so slow and they shouldn't have spent that 2M on Wilson returning.

Signing Jerome Robinson when they could re-sign Harris and just drafted two RBs last year even though Robinson would be the best option as a 3rd down back.

Signing 34yr old T Riley Reiff to a 1yr deal will apparently somehow hurt them in the long run.

Tendering CB Myles Bryant & OL Yodny Cajuste as if this means they're already signed to guaranteed money,which they're not.

πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

• Options

Waiting to hear how Rams FS Taylor Rapp's trip to Foxboro went today. He'd be a decent Mccourty replacement.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2023 3:20PM

As much as I want Jeudy no.way I'd give 1 & 2 picks for him, the 2nd with Harris is do able but not goi g to get it done I don't believe

As far as 98.5 they stir the pot to get more callers and hot button discussions going, if they said they loved every move it wouldn't draw as much ire lol

• Options

Big TE signing confirmed! Multiple reports out that Fins TE Mike Gesicki signed with NE on 1yr/9M deal.

Pats LS Joe Cardona re-signs on 4yr deal and also DT Daniel Ekuale,no details though.

• Options

So far....
    Additions:
    WR JuJu Smith-Schuster
    TE Mike Gesicki
    RB James Robinson
    OT Riley Reiff
    OL Calvin Anderson

Returning:
    CB Jonathan Jones
    S Jabril Peppers
    LB Mack Wilson
    ILB Raekwon McMillan
    WR/ST Matt SLater
    LS Joe Cardona
    DT CArl Davis
    DT Daniel Ekuale
    OL JamesFerentz
    OT Conor McDermott

Tendered:
    CB Myles Bryant
    OT Yody Cajuste

Lost:
    WR Jakobi Meyers
    S Devin Mccourty
    TE Jonnu SMith
    QB Brian Hoyer
    P Jake Bailey

• Options

Here's hoping BoB can turn them into a poor man's pairing of Gronk & Hernandez but at least better than the Hunter Henry/Jonnu Smith duo.

Their offense has slowly started looking much better with:
    Wr: JuJu/Parker/Bourne/Thornton/Montgomery
    RB: Stevenson/Robinson/Strong/K.Harris/Taylor
    TE: Henry/Gesicki/Sokol

My master plan going forward 😎
    Either trade for jeudy or draft another WR somewhat high
    draft a starting caliber LT or RT
    draft another young TE
    Use remaining picks on OL/DL depth and CBs
    re-sign Damien Harris cheap if possible.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Here's hoping BoB can turn them into a poor man's pairing of Gronk & Hernandez but at least better than the Hunter Henry/Jonnu Smith duo.

Their offense has slowly started looking much better with:
    Wr: JuJu/Parker/Bourne/Thornton/Montgomery
    RB: Stevenson/Robinson/Strong/K.Harris/Taylor
    TE: Henry/Gesicki/Sokol

My master plan going forward 😎
    Either trade for jeudy or draft another WR somewhat high
    draft a starting caliber LT or RT
    draft another young TE
    Use remaining picks on OL/DL depth and CBs
    re-sign Damien Harris cheap if possible.

Easier said than done, but I hope it comes to fruition. Pats are not meant to be AFC cellar dwellers.

• Options

It won't take much to out do the Henry/Smith fiasco

Henry/Gesieki sounds much better πŸ‘Œ

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

so far i am liking how this is turning out. I would love Jeudy. not at the expense of the 1st round pick though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2023 10:41AM

@craig44 said:
    so far i am liking how this is turning out. I would love Jeudy. not at the expense of the 1st round pick though.

Honesty I'd give a first for him but not a chance I'm including our 2nd pick as well

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Honesty I'd give a first for him but not a chance I'm including our 2nd pick as well

Agreed,we could get two very good players with those 14th & 46th picks,add a later pick in the 4-5th round with that 1st for Jeudy then ok.

We just signed former Giants LB Chris Board to a 2yr deal. Sounds like he's more of a special teamer than LB.

Also they released CB Jalen Mills.

• Options

@craig44 said:

Yeah,I'm good with who they've brought in and brought back too. If Bill can sign Rams safety Taylor Rapp to replace Mccourty that would be the cherry on top. He visited NE yesterday and was heading to Cincy today but the Bengals just signed another Rams safety Nick Scott earlier so hopefully that works in our favor.

• Options

SI.com’s Albert Breer reports that the Cardinals are seeking β€œa second-rounder plus something else of value” or β€œsimilar to what the Texans got for DeAndre Hopkins” in 2020.
    The Cardinals’ deal with the Texans was getting Hopkins and a fourth-round pick in exchange for a second-rounder, a fourth-rounder and running back David Johnson.

Hopkins would have to definitely renegotiate his contract if BB made a deal for him when he's due to count for 30/26M over the next two seasons.

• Options

I don't think Hopkins is the right move.

• Options

Hopkins is an elite talent, he just happens to be on AZ

Not sure I'd pay huge money for him at this point, he is or will be 31 I think

• Options

Down here in Tex, it's a little Pats reunion with Cooks and Gilmore.

I'm out of the loop ...who's going to be doing our punting? ~per the norm, I'm askin for a friend

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Down here in Tex, it's a little Pats reunion with Cooks and Gilmore.

I'm out of the loop ...who's going to be doing our punting? ~per the norm, I'm askin for a friend

With four 6th rounders plus a 7th round pick they'll likely find someone.

• Options

I am sitting right by the phone waiting for BB to call. I have been practicing. When I really get into one, I can punt it a solid 15-20 yards!!

I will even sign for the veteran minimum.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2023 6:52PM

overpaying for Nuk would be a mistake imo

he's missed 13 games the past two seasons and is on the wrong side of 30

but signing craig to punt would be the stuff of legend

• Options

RB Damien Harris signed a 1yr deal with the Bills

• Options

I have a sneaking suspicion that the next time we make a playoff run it's going to feel a little like it did during the 85 season. I am not talking about the way it ended, but rather the idea of it being unexpected and bringing much joy to the fan base.

We will all buy our 'kill the Bills' shirts, and our 'don't sweat the Jets' hats, and get down to business.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the next time we make a playoff run it's going to feel a little like it did during the 85 season. I am not talking about the way it ended, but rather the idea of it being unexpected and bringing much joy to the fan base.

We will all buy our 'kill the Bills' shirts, and our 'don't sweat the Jets' hats, and get down to business.

I think we will need "Squish the Fish" shirts more than Bills or Jets shirts

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I still see Josh Allen as the real threat...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I don't, he wears down towards the end d of the season both physically and mentally, by no means do I think Tua is better but overall the Fins will have a much stronger team this year I believe

• Options
    edited March 21, 2023 12:14PM

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

I don't, he wears down towards the end d of the season both physically and mentally, by no means do I think Tua is better but overall the Fins will have a much stronger team this year I believe

I smell what you're cookin. πŸ‘πŸ‘

Edited to change your to you're

• Options
    edited April 4, 2023 11:08AM

I am not surprised

Obviously there is a major breakdown Between Mac and Hoodies staff

Mac's value is low I'm thinking

• Options

@perkdog said:

I am not surprised

I was listening to Gresh & Fauria and they think that this is nothing but clickbait and don't believe any of it. That if the Raiders were really interested they would have just made a deal for him rather than paying Jimmy G's 72M over 3 years where Mac is due to make roughly 9M in 2023-24.

The worst part about all of this is that the media covering this team will drag this drama out for as long as they can. It does kind of suck that his trade value is as low as it is because I'd say just cut bait and start over with Zappe until they can find a better option.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I am not surprised

I was listening to Gresh & Fauria and they think that this is nothing but clickbait and don't believe any of it. That if the Raiders were really interested they would have just made a deal for him rather than paying Jimmy G's 72M over 3 years where Mac is due to make roughly 9M in 2023-24.

The worst part about all of this is that the media covering this team will drag this drama out for as long as they can. It does kind of suck that his trade value is as low as it is because I'd say just cut bait and start over with Zappe until they can find a better option.

I'm hoping that Zappe gets a real shot if Mac fails miserable, I'm not rooting for Mac to fail though

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I am not surprised

I'm hoping that Zappe gets a real shot if Mac fails miserable, I'm not rooting for Mac to fail though

I'm not either but its turned into Days of Our Lives down there in Foxboro over the past year and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. Bill needs his 18 wins to pass Shula then if the rumors are true Jerod Mayo would take over as HC that next offseason.

I just want to see them pick their guy then do everything they can to help him succeed,be it Mac,Zappe or whoever.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I am not surprised

I'm not either but its turned into Days of Our Lives down there in Foxboro over the past year and doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. Bill needs his 18 wins to pass Shula then if the rumors are true Jerod Mayo would take over as HC that next offseason.

I just want to see them pick their guy then do everything they can to help him succeed,be it Mac,Zappe or whoever.

Obviously we want what's best for our team so be it Mac or Zappe or whoever, I don't really care I just want it ironed out.

Last season was an utter disaster, I'm not looking forward to next season being a carbon copy of last year.

It's early, we got time and if Mac is definitely being shopped then the sooner the better so we can move forward

• Options

Belichick is going to be our coach for at least two more seasons.

I want to see if Mac can get back on the track he was on two seasons ago.

It sucks being relegated to the slums of the league, where all of the stories are drama and infighting.

Ah, the memories...

• Options

I am definitely not rooting against Mac, but my confidence in him is not high either. I would be willing to give him another chance with a real OC, but that would be it as far as I am concerned

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I am definitely not rooting against Mac, but my confidence in him is not high either. I would be willing to give him another chance with a real OC, but that would be it as far as I am concerned

Well I'm with you but have zero faith in Bill Obrien to be honest, plus if Bill is not a fan of this kid then the drama is just going to get worse

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Well I'm with you but have zero faith in Bill Obrien to be honest, plus if Bill is not a fan of this kid then the drama is just going to get worse

Well that one year that BoB did run the Pats offense in 2011 they finished with the 10th (at the time) highest scoring offense in history but since then that 2011 team has fallen to 17th best all time. He's not Josh McDaniels but imo he's not far behind him when it comes to running an offense.
    If we're being honest,he really doesn't need to pull any miracles here with this team just come in and do a steady job while helping to develop Mac. Where both Patricia & Judge had never run an offense before,by adding BoB its already been an improvement. BB stills needs to add another playmaker or two at the WR/TE positions though even if it means trading back in the first to add some additional picks.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2023 8:50AM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Well that one year that BoB did run the Pats offense in 2011 they finished with the 10th (at the time) highest scoring offense in history but since then that 2011 team has fallen to 17th best all time. He's not Josh McDaniels but imo he's not far behind him when it comes to running an offense.
    If we're being honest,he really doesn't need to pull any miracles here with this team just come in and do a steady job while helping to develop Mac. Where both Patricia & Judge had never run an offense before,by adding BoB its already been an improvement. BB stills needs to add another playmaker or two at the WR/TE positions though even if it means trading back in the first to add some additional picks.

Sure I get the BoB doing well with Brady and Co but he turned Houston into an utter disaster, I just can't see him having the patience to deal with Mac while Hoodie is barking at him, like Mac could be putting BoB and Hoodie at odds and all this could add to the drama but who knows what's really going on.

As I said I don't expect a Playoff appearance especially if Rodgers comes to the Jets, the AFC East could be one of the toughest divisions in the NFL with the Pats looking up at everyone

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Sure I get the BoB doing well with Brady and Co but he turned Houston into an utter disaster, I just can't see him having the patience to deal with Mac while Hoodie is barking at him, like Mac could be putting BoB and Hoodie at odds and all this could add to the drama but who knows what's really going on.

As I said I don't expect a Playoff appearance especially if Rodgers comes to the Jets, the AFC East could be one of the toughest divisions in the NFL with the Pats looking up at everyone

But in Houston he was the head coach and in an entirely different role. Some coordinators that have been great here then went elsewhere and weren't that good as the HC...BoB,McDaniels,Patricia,Judge,Romeo Crennel,Charlie Weis. Running a certain unit is an entirely different beast than being responsible for everything.

I thing the BB barking at Mac stuff has been way overblown,in fact its really been the exact opposite where it came out that he didn't want to do that with Mac like he did with Brady. With Tom it was, he treats Brady like he does everyone else and Brady had no problem with that if it helped keep the team in line.
    We know Belichick didn't like that Mac went for advice outside of the team but that all came out after the season ended so there never was a retaliation moment from BB towards Mac.

As for your last part,then so be it. This will be the fourth season removed from Brady and we knew all along that there wasn't going to be a quick flip back to being a top 1-3 contender in football. Last year was a setback but so far this offseason they've done a good job to this point at improving the coaching staff and roster.
    IMO,the only real needs heading into the draft are a starting caliber Tackle,a talented WR and a rotational CB. One more pass catching TE and a late round punter would be nice too.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2023 9:49AM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

But in Houston he was the head coach and in an entirely different role. Some coordinators that have been great here then went elsewhere and weren't that good as the HC...BoB,McDaniels,Patricia,Judge,Romeo Crennel,Charlie Weis. Running a certain unit is an entirely different beast than being responsible for everything.

I thing the BB barking at Mac stuff has been way overblown,in fact its really been the exact opposite where it came out that he didn't want to do that with Mac like he did with Brady. With Tom it was, he treats Brady like he does everyone else and Brady had no problem with that if it helped keep the team in line.
    We know Belichick didn't like that Mac went for advice outside of the team but that all came out after the season ended so there never was a retaliation moment from BB towards Mac.

As for your last part,then so be it. This will be the fourth season removed from Brady and we knew all along that there wasn't going to be a quick flip back to being a top 1-3 contender in football. Last year was a setback but so far this offseason they've done a good job to this point at improving the coaching staff and roster.
    IMO,the only real needs heading into the draft are a starting caliber Tackle,a talented WR and a rotational CB. One more pass catching TE and a late round punter would be nice too.

After I posted I realized that BoB was the HC not the OC so maybe your right

As far as Hoodie vs Mac and their drama if thete id any lets hope it gets sorted out before training camp

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

As far as Hoodie vs Mac and their drama if thete id any lets hope it gets sorted out before training camp

If we see BoB call three straight screen passes then I'll grab my stake & pitchfork and we can head down to Foxboro. πŸ˜‰

• Options

I don't have much to add (for now, gotta do the dishes) other than...remember this classic moment? ...and I think that the fact that Mac was not Belichick's guy is important. Seems like it was a Kraft pick. 🀷 But I still have hope for a turnaround, if the Mac Attack can get back on track (and up off the clearance rack).

https://youtu.be/Gy7U6rbnZpM

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

If we see BoB call three straight screen passes then I'll grab my stake & pitchfork and we can head down to Foxboro. πŸ˜‰

I'm taking a break from the dishes. I tend to be overly slow with these sorts of tasks. Anyway, let me know if we are doing some sort of football related civil disobedience at Foxboro. Give me some advance notice so I can make my way North. Thank you in advance. 😜🏈 πŸ’£βš”οΈπŸš”πŸ‘€πŸ€¬πŸ€¦πŸ™

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I'm taking a break from the dishes. I tend to be overly slow with these sorts of tasks. Anyway, let me know if we are doing some sort of football related civil disobedience at Foxboro. Give me some advance notice so I can make my way North. Thank you in advance. 😜🏈 πŸ’£βš”οΈπŸš”πŸ‘€πŸ€¬πŸ€¦πŸ™

That all depends on if our fearless leader lets everything go t!ts up again. πŸ‘Ώ

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

That all depends on if our fearless leader lets everything go t!ts up again. πŸ‘Ώ

One of my main disappointments of the post Brady years has been the sloppiness of the team and seeming lack of situational preparation, etc. The fundamentals and discipline are what always buoyed the team. I imagine there has been a lack of effort and buy in. That happens when the team is not winning and the expectation is no longer SB or bust. Still, I also imagine that sone of this is top down, meaning as a direct result of changes to Belichick's attitude, or ability to control guys, or...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

One of my main disappointments of the post Brady years has been the sloppiness of the team and seeming lack of situational preparation, etc. The fundamentals and discipline are what always buoyed the team. I imagine there has been a lack of effort and buy in. That happens when the team is not winning and the expectation is no longer SB or bust. Still, I also imagine that sone of this is top down, meaning as a direct result of changes to Belichick's attitude, or ability to control guys, or...

I think most of that has to do with losing Brady,who was like another OC on the field,then losing McDaniels. That was alot of stability at the top who had literally been in every situation possible on offense,then last season we had 2nd year Mac and two coaches in Patricia & Judge who had never been in that OC role before.

The offensive side of the ball didn't have that veteran type voice to turn too like it had in the past. James White was closest to possibly taking on that role but he retired early last season. Ideally we'd like to see Mac take the reins but between the team dropping the ball on his development in year two and getting injured only to return to then get benched first game made it hard for him to take on that leadership role.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Deal πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I think most of that has to do with losing Brady,who was like another OC on the field,then losing McDaniels. That was alot of stability at the top who had literally been in every situation possible on offense,then last season we had 2nd year Mac and two coaches in Patricia & Judge who had never been in that OC role before.

The offensive side of the ball didn't have that veteran type voice to turn too like it had in the past. James White was closest to possibly taking on that role but he retired early last season. Ideally we'd like to see Mac take the reins but between the team dropping the ball on his development in year two and getting injured only to return to then get benched first game made it hard for him to take on that leadership role.

The Mac benching was wild.

Anyone remember the movie Brewster's Millions? 1985. John Candy. Richard Pryor. Looking it up just now, I was shocked to see how many versions were made throughout the 20th century prior to that one. Anyway, in the movie (as far as I recall) Richard Pryor has to spend 30 million to get 300 million. But there are rules. He can't just give it away, etc, and he can't tell people what he's doing. So as the movie goes on, he looks like he is just wasting away the money. He is forced to find ways to lose it. Anyway ...

Thinking about Belichick and the Pats reminded me of this. Imagine Belichick is tasked with giving away his legacy, and position of respect within the team. What decisions would he make? Bench Mac like he did? Bring in Patricia? Judge? Etc. Etc. And what is he doing it for? 🀷🏈🀬🀣