Home Sports Talk

The official 2022 NFL season thread

Comments

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said: Chase Claypool can't catch a break let alone a pass. From the hapless Steelers to probably a worse situation in Chicago?

I couldn't disagree more, now with Claypool the Bears will probably win 2-3 games more than without him. He came at a bargain rate and Pittsburgh probably figured they'd never resign him after next season anyway. He'll make an immediate difference with Chicago.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog said: Chase Claypool can't catch a break let alone a pass. From the hapless Steelers to probably a worse situation in Chicago?

I couldn't disagree more, now with Claypool the Bears will probably win 2-3 games more than without him. He came at a bargain rate and Pittsburgh probably figured they'd never resign him after next season anyway. He'll make an immediate difference with Chicago.

Because Justin Fields is such a prolific passer 🤣🤣🤣

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just finished the latest Bill O’Reilly book, Killing the Legends. Reading the part about Muhammad Ali’s last fight, when he landed 10 punches in ten rounds, Aaron Rogers looked like that in the first three quarters against the Lions.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually watched the Panthers play today, you want a game summary, here you go!

Bills are FRAUDS

I don't know if the Bills are frauds, but my thoughts after watching that game are simple: Buffalo seems to have spent too much time figuring out what to do about the Kansas City Chiefs and they've forgotten how to take care of business in their Division. In that 4th quarter the Jets just came out and sucker-punched the Bills.

Other thoughts on today's NFL action: why is so much attention paid to what's happening in Green Bay/Aaron Rodgers and Tampa Bay/Tom Brady?? There are too many good things going on in the NFL for all the attention to be wasted on those teams. If everyone doesn't pay attention to teams like the Eagles and the Jets they're gonna be really surprised come January.

I also think the Raiders are toast and Derek Carr is really overrated.

Weird schedule this week, only two 4:30 games.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFCE is the only division with four teams over .500 while combining for the most total wins with 23. Its been awhile since that could be said about this division.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills running back Josh Allen had a really good game today.
    Bills Quarterback Josh Allen well not so much.

His passing has been terrible the last two games, QB rating of 46 today. :#
    Should have had 3 picks but the defender couldn't catch an easy one right in his chest.

Kupp just burned the Bucks. What else is new? It’s tiresome.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited November 6, 2022 3:31PM

The Packers lost to the Lions today, Aaron Rodgers threw two interceptions in the endzone, both his fault, and he was livid on the sidelines, this is the best season ever!

while combining for the most total wins with 23.

NFC East has 24 although one team is sub-.500.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tommy!!! another comeback in the books!!! overcame at least 6 drops today

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@Maywood said:
    while combining for the most total wins with 23.

NFC East has 24 although one team is sub-.500.

Oops. Nice catch Al!

The Bucks had a big game today. They won with 16 points which was 2 beyond expectations, they won!

They won “the Disappointing Bowl”, but the season is still the pits.

Do you think that Bucks rub their butts on the floor like cats?

It looks like that loss to the Patriots yesterday was the last straw for Frank Reich, he's been fired.

man, does he look haggard in that photo

@craig44 said:
    man, does he look haggard in that photo

Indeed, he looks like a broken man, it can be a very tough profession when things aren't going good.

Patrick Mahomes had to come up with around 510 yards of offense to pull out the win last night.
    440+ yards passing and 68 running. What I don't understand is when trying to run the ball up the middle
    isn't working why don't we try running outside. We've got McKinnon and Pacheo, both speedsters, run a QB
    option and pitch them the ball and they're probably going to get to the outside and gain some good yardage.
    But no, we try to run it right up the middle every play. How about a little creativity in the play calling Chiefs?
    Give our speed guys a chance to make things happen in open space. Mahomes had to literally put the team
    on his shoulders to get that win.
    I've said this before on another thread, but that Titans coach is one of the best in the game.
    The team adopts his tough attitude and plays with a lot of heart. Tough team to beat.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems to me he's walking off the field trying to figure out what to do with the 9 million he's making this year, plus didn't he just sign an extension till 2026? Wonder if that is gauranteed ?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

A couple of enjoyable stats....

The Raiders have blown a 17 point lead 3 times this season. :p

Mahomes record when the Chiefs are trailing by 10 or more points is 13-9 for a 59% winning percentage
    which is No. 1 all time.
    No other QB in history has a winning record when trailing by at least 10 points.
    Tom Brady is a dismal 39-65 for a 37.5 percentage.
    Russell Wilson is 16-37 30.2%
    Those two are the active QB's who rank second and third behind Mahomes and they aren't even close.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

Mahomes record when the Chiefs are trailing by 10 or more points is 13-9 for a 59% winning percentage
    which is No. 1 all time.
    No other QB in history has a winning record when trailing by at least 10 points.

Those two are the active QB's who rank second and third behind Mahomes and they aren't even close.

28-3 28-3 28-3 Come on @darin you know I have always respected your boys, but I see you trying to get that Mahomes chatter in to squash some of the Allen mania. That beig said... nothing beats 28-3

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

which is No. 1 all time.

28-3 28-3 28-3 Come on @darin you know I have always respected your boys, but I see you trying to get that Mahomes chatter in to squash some of the Allen mania. That beig said... nothing beats 28-3

39-65 like I said not even close to .500 or a winning record like mahomes. Allen is squashing Allen mania all by himself he doesn’t need my help. MVP talk sure faded fast.

@Darin said:

which is No. 1 all time.

when he gets to 100 games trailing by 10 or more, those numbers will normalize back to the mean. too small a sample size.

Mahomes and Allen and Lamar (and all other running QB) will eventually take significant damage that will temper their effectiveness. It happens to all of them unless they stop running. It is unfortunate because they are fun to watch, but it happens to all of them eventually.

At some point they will all take that one big hit and miss significant time or get an injury that will linger for their career.

It is dangerous enough in the pocket, but when you leave and LB and safeties can get a running start, things start breaking.

@thisistheshow said:
    That beig said... nothing beats 28-3

I'd say beating the Chiefs in the SB while playing on your homefield definitely deserves to be up there. I doubt that we see that ever happen again.

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:
    That beig said... nothing beats 28-3

I'd say beating the Chiefs in the SB while playing on your homefield definitely deserves to be up there. I doubt that we see that ever happen again.

Well, for a Pats fan, anyway. Yes I truly enjoyed that Bucs SB run. It stung, but I enjoyed it.

I would concur with the statement "NOTHING beats 28-3"

It was the worst 1st half followed by the best 2nd half of any football game i can remember. such joy at the end.

28-3 will always have my vote

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

which is No. 1 all time.

when he gets to 100 games trailing by 10 or more, those numbers will normalize back to the mean. too small a sample size.

Craig… thank you for the legit response that actually addressed what I wrote, that mahomes is the only qb in history with a winning record when being down by at least 10 points. You could be correct, time will tell.

Technically shouldn’t it be 3-28? You guys make it seem like they were ahead 28 to 3.

edited November 10, 2022 6:19PM

@Darin said:
    Technically shouldn’t it be 3-28? You guys make it seem like they were ahead 28 to 3.

Good call!

Regarding Mahomes, there isn't much more to be said other than he is the best QB in the NFL, and yes I think he is better than Allen

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Good call!

Regarding Mahomes, there isn't much more to be said other than he is the best QB in the NFL, and yes I think he is better than Allen

28-3 is the accepted name. Yes, Mahomes is the best in the league.

@darin don't get cranky about "legit" responses. My point was that you can't brag about Mahomes ability to come back in games, while citing a Brady stat, without me saying that Brady has the most impressive comeback ever.

This is just some horrible luck for 49ers CB Jason Verrett, just when he's about to finally comeback from a 2021 ACL injury he tears his achilles.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-world-reacts-to-terrible-49ers-news/ar-AA13YCxM?ocid=winp2fptaskbarmouseenter&cvid=259974b960804dd5a0233ebefe44e1a7

Anyone watching the Germany game??

@thisistheshow said:
    Anyone watching the Germany game??

Yep. The Bucks were able to hold Seattle off. Brady and running game were much better, but they don’t look like a play-off team aside from the fact they are in a weak division.

The Cowboys - Packers is “the game of week.” That is based on years past. I imagine the Packers fans will be none too happy.

I'm watching the Vikings vs Bills game. Well, I don't believe my eyes but Josh Allen is starting the game.

edited November 13, 2022 11:13AM

Oh wow, the Vikings just marched right down the field and scored on the Bills, it's 7-0.

The Bills just marched right down the field and scored on the Vikings, we got a game here, it's 7-7.

It's 17-10 Bills lead over the Vikings, good game so far.

Josh Allen certainly doesn't look injured to me, The bills look like themselves again, it's 24-10 Bills lead.

It's 27-17 Bills lead over the Vikings right now.

The Vikings just scored but missed the extra point, it's 27-23 Bills lead.

It's 27-23 Bills lead but the Vikings are in Bills territory with 1:18 left in the game.

1st and goal Vikings.

edited November 13, 2022 2:08PM

4th and goal Vikings, this is it.

edited November 13, 2022 2:09PM

Oh oh!

edited November 13, 2022 2:13PM

Oh my god, the Bills couldn't get it out of the endzone, touchdown Vikings, the Vikings win.

Bad snap in the endzone and the Vikings got on top of it, the Vikings win, unbelievable.