Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2022 NFL season thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's time, preseason starts next Thursday, football is back baby! Below is a nifty little schedule and you can find your team on the far left column and see all of their matchups each week.

Comments

• Options

I just realized how doomed the Panthers really are this season.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

I think the Panthers will be just fine this year with Mayfield. Maybe not a playoff team but they could push the envelope to 8-9 or 9-8.
    I haven’t heard about any lingering effects from his non throwing shoulder surgery so a healthy Mayfield might bring you some joy for a few months.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Yes 10 days and counting until the Hall of Pretty Good preseason game.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

I think the Panthers will be just fine this year with Mayfield. Maybe not a playoff team but they could push the envelope to 8-9 or 9-8.
    I haven’t heard about any lingering effects from his non throwing shoulder surgery so a healthy Mayfield might bring you some joy for a few months.

No sir, I have suffered long enough, I will not be satisfied with anything less than a playoff appearance, even if we're the stinkiest team in the playoffs.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2022 11:44AM

So the Swami has stated the AFC West will be the most competitive division in football this year. Now remember my opinion and $1.50 gets you a cup of coffee at Waffle House.
    Following that with Miami’s resurgence and Baltimore being healthy those divisions are pretty good too.
    That brings me best odds in the NFL. The NFC West L. A. Rams will repeat as division winners. Zero question, hands down the only sure bet you can make and I’ll explain why.
    L. A. Rams. Matt Stafford
    Arizona Cardinals Kyler Murray- D Hop for 6 games and a history of late season collapse. If the victories don’t come early or late where are they?
    Seattle Seahawks Geno Smith?
    This brings us to
    S. F. 49ers. The gift that keeps on giving. No not to their fans but to the division. They are trying to dump a QB that’s 35-11, an overthrow from a Super Bowl victory for Trey Lance who couldn’t break into the starting roll last year.
    Not sure if you’ve ever seen his throwing motion but google his College highlights. He throws from his hip. It’s a long wind up that MLB relief pitchers would love.
    So this division went from one of the stronger QB rich to Stafford and a far distance second.
    At $125 to win $100 it’s by far the best odds. I’m shocked that it’s even that close. When I looked I was thinking +$200. Maybe Vegas knows something I don’t but I like those odds

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

No sir, I have suffered long enough, I will not be satisfied with anything less than a playoff appearance, even if we're the stinkiest team in the playoffs.

No matter what you say, your suffering is far from over. You’ll be a Panthers fan for life and no matter how bad they are you’ll be there rooting on the home team every game. Trust me as a long suffering Bills fan I know the feeling

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    It's time, preseason starts next Thursday, football is back baby! Below is a nifty little schedule and you can find your team on the far left column and see all of their matchups each week.

I like this schedule.

• Options

As I've stated,my Pats are a year away. From winning the division.

If anyone bets on anyone winning it all other than the BUCS it's a mistake, imo.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tejanos: 9-8, will surprise all of the naysayers - Caserio is brilliant and Lovie is the man that men can believe in.
    Chargers: 14-3 (Herbert MVP), on to SB
    Vikings: 6-11

You heard it here first folks.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@doubledragon
    Aaron Rodgers showed up for training camp looking like Cameron Poe !!

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    As I've stated,my Pats are a year away. From winning the division.

If anyone bets on anyone winning it all other than the BUCS it's a mistake, imo.

I just saw that the Bucs signed former Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph in the past week. He won't replace all of Gronk's production but he should be part of a decent 1-2 punch w/ Cameron Brate at TE for them.

• Options

Julio Jones also signed with the Bucs.

The 49ers’s announced they have officially moved on from Jimmy G. ending any QB controversy that would have occurred. Good luck 49ers fans.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Joe Burrow has surgery expected to miss some time.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Julio Jones also signed with the Bucs.

The 49ers’s announced they have officially moved on from Jimmy G. ending any QB controversy that would have occurred. Good luck 49ers fans.

That's a great pickup of Julio Jones adding him to their WR core of Mike Evans,Chris Godwin,Russell Gage,Scotty Miller and lesser known players in Cyril Grayson Jr & Breshard Perriman. I kind of want to see Tom convince Gronk to team up with Kyle Rudolph & Cameron Brate for one more season.

Did the 49ers cut Garoppolo or just name Trey Lance the starter?

• Options

@erikthredd
    Last week they allowed Jimmy G. to seek a trade partner. Today they just said they’ve moved forward with Trey Lance as their starter.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2022 3:17PM

@2dueces said:
    @doubledragon
    Aaron Rodgers showed up for training camp looking like Cameron Poe !!

You see, now isn't this great? This is what football season is all about, man I've never felt so alive. By the way, I tried to order a copy on DVD but they were sold out.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2022 7:26PM

First of all thank you DD for explaining the Cameron Poe reference.
    Had no idea that was the name of a Nicolas Cage character.
    Second spacehayduke if the Chargers go 14-3 its because of the cupcake schedule they have.
    They have the Raiders and Chiefs the first two games, after that its cupcake city for the next
    6 or 7 games. Their schedule gets tougher after that but they could have a lot of momentum
    going into the home stretch. If they go 1-1 against the Raiders and Chiefs the first two games
    then that 14-3 record you're forecasting becomes a possibility.
    Must be nice to root for a team that has it easy. The Chiefs play the Bills, Bucs, and Bengals,
    the 3 Killer B's and the Chargers don't have to play any of those three. They get the Falcons and Browns. :*

• Options

@Darin said:
    First of all thank you DD for explaining the Cameron Poe reference.
    Had no idea that was the name of a Nicolas Cage character.
    Second spacehayduke if the Chargers go 14-3 its because of the cupcake schedule they have.
    They have the Raiders and Chiefs the first two games, after that its cupcake city for the next
    6 or 7 games. Their schedule gets tougher after that but they could have a lot of momentum
    going into the home stretch. If they go 1-1 against the Raiders and Chiefs the first two games
    then that 14-3 record you're forecasting becomes a possibility.
    Must be nice to root for a team that has it easy. The Chiefs play the Bills, Bucs, and Bengals,
    the 3 Killer B's and the Chargers don't have to play any of those three. They get the Falcons and Browns. :*

Yes, and you'll also be happy to know that Aaron Rodgers has recently reached a state of Zen, a perfect balance between ying and yang, and is able to sense the slightest hint of troublemakers on social media.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2022 5:37AM

I guess it's about time to give this thread a bump, NFL season starts soon. In other news, it looks like Jimmy G will be taking a backseat this season. The 49ers and QB Jimmy Garoppolo are finalizing a new contract that will make him the highest paid backup in the NFL, sources tell Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo, a solution that keeps Jimmy G on the roster while making clear it’s Trey Lance’s team going forward.

• Options

Even though this new development in the Jimmy G saga paves the way for him to remain a niner, it also paves the way for him to be traded. He now has a more team friendly contract, and other teams are more likely to be willing to give up a pick/picks for him. The no trade clause was just a necessary caveat for him to agree to the new deal. He will be able to veto any destinations he doesn't feel comfortable with, and this comfort will be affected by opportunity and chance of a new deal I imagine. Now he will be available for any team that loses a starter and feels that they are still in contention.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2022 9:17AM

@thisistheshow said:
    Even though this new development in the Jimmy G saga paves the way for him to remain a niner, it also paves the way for him to be traded. He now has a more team friendly contract, and other teams are more likely to be willing to give up a pick/picks for him. The no trade clause was just a necessary caveat for him to agree to the new deal. He will be able to veto any destinations he doesn't feel comfortable with, and this comfort will be affected by opportunity and chance of a new deal I imagine. Now he will be available for any team that loses a starter and feels that they are still in contention.

Yes, if he is traded he has to be a part of the talks, it's a shame he won't be starting for the 49ers, I was looking forward to watching him beat Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs again, of course it really doesn't matter, because the outcome will be the same as it is every year for Rodgers, sitting in a bar watching the Super Bowl.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

Yes, if he is traded he has to be a part of the talks, it's a shame he won't be starting for the 49ers, I was looking forward to watching him beat Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs again, of course it really doesn't matter, because the outcome will be the same as it is every year for Rodgers, sitting in a bar watching the Super Bowl.

That's if they even make the playoffs, he literally has no WR to speak of

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

That's if they even make the playoffs, he literally has no WR to speak of

That's for sure, different ballgame now!

• Options

Uh oh, Aaron Rodgers took a swipe at the NFC North.

• Options

Isn't that @Hydrant's wife's cousin with Rodgers at the bar a few pics up?

• Options

I think that Rodgers does himself a disservice saying things like this. Yes, he has a good record when it comes to winning his division. But he just sets himself up to be compared to the GOAT in that regard and he pales in comparison to what Brady did in NE.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

I hope Minnesota wins that division!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

I hope Minnesota wins that division!

That's a very real possibility this year, especially since Rodgers doesn't have Davante Adams. I was considering picking the Vikings to win this week but since I poke fun at Rodgers so much I figured I owed it to him to pick the Packers!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I think that Rodgers does himself a disservice saying things like this. Yes, he has a good record when it comes to winning his division. But he just sets himself up to be compared to the GOAT in that regard and he pales in comparison to what Brady did in NE.

He just put more pressure on himself by saying that, it's going to be interesting to see if he can back up his words!

• Options
    edited September 8, 2022 10:51AM

A couple of games with dramatic storylines this week, Denver vs Seattle, Russell Wilson vs his former team, and of course the Browns vs Panthers, Baker's revenge game.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's official, the Panthers are in first place.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:
    It's official, the Panthers are in first place.

Damn skippy, go cats!

• Options

@doubledragon
    A female reporter walked too close to CMC this morning and he landed on the injured report. Team sources say he may be available after February 20th but it’s too early to say.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    @doubledragon
    A female reporter walked too close to CMC this morning and he landed on the injured report. Team sources say he may be available after February 20th but it’s too early to say.

• Options

@2dueces, Congrats on the victory last night, solid performance!

Bills - 31
    Rams - 10

• Options

Love this Josh allen stiff arm.

• Options

I don't know what this was all about, I guess it was some protesters that ran onto the field with smoke flares.

• Options

It’s only 1 game. But it was against the Super Bowl champions, in their building, raising the banner.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

One thing that hasn’t been talked about. The Rams mortgaged their future and all their draft choices and cap to win last year. Congratulations. Now comes years of paying for it. They looked old, very little new blood. They play the toughest schedule and I think we will see a different NFC champion this year. But again it’s only one game.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    It’s only 1 game. But it was against the Super Bowl champions, in their building, raising the banner.

For Bills fans, I know it felt great. Also, I know it's nice to get a great win while also seeing your team not play a super clean game. That way there is plenty to point out in the film sessions and no way to get complacent.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

For Bills fans, I know it felt great. Also, I know it's nice to get a great win while also seeing your team not play a super clean game. That way there is plenty to point out in the film sessions and no way to get complacent.

They won’t win many games with 4 turnovers. But 9/10 on third downs and zero punts again. The defense made a statement. McDermitt keeping 9 defensive linemen has been his strategy throughout. Keep ‘em fresh and hungry. We heard all the talk about starting a rookie CB but the Bills played zone and kept everything in front of them. Cupp is gonna get his against everyone but Robinson was non existent and Higbee had 39 yards. The running game was non existent. I’m happy for the win but you don’t win a SB with one win. Honestly I wish Allen wouldn’t run so much but he’s just such a competitor he can’t help it. He’s just a kid. A 6’5” 240 lb kid.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

They won’t win many games with 4 turnovers. But 9/10 on third downs and zero punts again. The defense made a statement. McDermitt keeping 9 defensive linemen has been his strategy throughout. Keep ‘em fresh and hungry. We heard all the talk about starting a rookie CB but the Bills played zone and kept everything in front of them. Cupp is gonna get his against everyone but Robinson was non existent and Higbee had 39 yards. The running game was non existent. I’m happy for the win but you don’t win a SB with one win. Honestly I wish Allen wouldn’t run so much but he’s just such a competitor he can’t help it. He’s just a kid. A 6’5” 240 lb kid.

When I was watching the game I was thinking of you and I wanted to tell you that I was SO impressed by the Bills defense. SO impressed. Wow. They looked great. Looks like you play with two deep safeties lot and don't let anything go over the top. And then make this strategy work with really good tackling, etc.

But yes, the turnovers were bad. What's up with your running back situation. I don't know too much about them. Should the turnovers be an issue or was this a one off situation?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

When I was watching the game I was thinking of you and I wanted to tell you that I was SO impressed by the Bills defense. SO impressed. Wow. They looked great. Looks like you play with two deep safeties lot and don't let anything go over the top. And then make this strategy work with really good tackling, etc.

But yes, the turnovers were bad. What's up with your running back situation. I don't know too much about them. Should the turnovers be an issue or was this a one off situation?

The Bills play 2 high safety exclusively. The strategy is nothing over the top. Make the offense March down the field dinking and dunking. A holding penalty or a sack puts them behind the chains and 3rd and 10 or more are really tough against this defense. The Bills rushed 4 all night, maybe blitzing once or twice because the front 4 got home do often they didn’t need it blitz.
    Devin Singletary is RB1 but I believe the Bills rotated to keep him fresh. It was hot in there and it was opening week. James Cook fumbled on his first NFL carry and never touched the ball again. He going to be an option in the pass game and has the breakaway speed Singletary does possess.
    Zack Moss had the late fumble but doesn’t have a history of it. They’ll be fine as the season progresses.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2022 7:16AM

my knee-jerk take on last night's game, if anyone cares. the Bills are going to be very formidable this season, but then again everyone with a pulse knew that already. defense looked great -- Von Miller adds another dimension and he proved it right out of the gate. run D was stout and they invalidated every receiver not named Cupp. as a completely unbiased observer i'm always concerned about the Bills' running game to give them balance (and lighten Allen's burden), and they did an okay job last night. i think Singletary had half a hundie on less than 10 carries. have no clue how good that one back is because he fumbled on his only carry and never touched the ball again. :D Allen looked like he was in mid-season form. great decision-making, great throws, and i like the way he spread the ball around.

as quickly as Buffalo created distance in the 2nd half, that final score could have been a lot uglier. they won by 21 and had 4 turnovers. and that leads me to.....

......fire hydrant's favorite team. or are the Bills his favorite now? i get confused. whatever the case may be, L.A. looked like a team that has regressed considerably since last year's champ squad. did anyone outside of Cupp make more than a single play all night? the defense was a sieve outside of the turnovers generated. Donald, Ramsey, Leonard Floyd............were those dudes even on the field? i know they were, but you get my point. no running game to speak of and Stafford looked terrible. top of the leaderboard in INTs here he comes again this season. i touted the acquisition of Robinson, but he was completely MIA as well. i will, however, show grace to him since it is his first game as a Ram. may take another game or two to get acclimated and build a rapport with his quarterback.

but honestly, the Rams looked like they had one good player on the entire roster. right off the bat they're finding out why there hasn't been a repeat SB winner in almost 2 decades -- because it's very difficult to look and play the same way two years in a row.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bills looked very good minus the turnovers. It is the first game though and that will tighten up I am sure. one of those picks wasnt on Allen anyways. receiver brick handed it.

It is so fun to watch Allen play. it looked like he just flicked that 50 yard TD pass off his back foot. I dont believe anyone has an arm that compares to his. holy cow. Reminds me of young Elway or Marino

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Matthew Stafford last night.

• Options

the day after the first NFL game of the season and minimal chatter

what on earth has happened to this place

• Options

@galaxy27
    but honestly, the Rams looked like they had one good player on the entire roster. right off the bat they're finding out why there hasn't been a repeat SB winner in almost 2 decades -- because it's very difficult to look and play the same way two years in a row.

I honestly didn’t see any new blood on the Rams last night. If Cupp is their only option teams will let him get his 10-100-1 and try zone against them. The real difference really is Von Miller. I watched closely and I saw them rush 5 once. Didn’t have to as the front four had 7 sacks. Von Miller has elevated the entire line. Now it’s only one game but if this continues it’s going to be tough to mount long drives against them.
    A holding call or a sack and 3rd long are going to be tough to overcome

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@galaxy27
    The real difference really is Von Miller. I watched closely and I saw them rush 5 once. Didn’t have to as the front four had 7 sacks. Von Miller has elevated the entire line.

yep, i touched on him. he may very well be the missing piece they needed to get to the top.

AND, all of that happened last night without White.

Buffalo is gonna be one tough cookie all season long