Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2022 NFL season thread

Comments

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beginning of Chargers-Browns game, Brown offense on field. Chargers defense was embarrassing in the first drive, this team needs to learn how to tackle apparently even tho they are supposedly pro's - multiple plays multiple missed tackles yikes. This defense is gonna haveta improve if the Chargers want to be in the championship mix............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said: Beginning of Chargers-Browns game, Brown offense on field. Chargers defense was embarrassing in the first drive

Not to worry, with Joe Woods running the defense and Kevin Stefanski calling the plays on offense the Browns have bailed the Chargers out in admirable fashion.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2022 12:49PM

If this keeps up, Rogers will be watching the playoffs at home.

In the mean time, the Tampa Bay Bucks are looking to collapse in the 4th quarter.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the heck is up with the Lions today, one of the best offenses in the NFL and they can't even put up a field goal. I'm very disappointed in the Lions.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brandon Staley is the worst coach in the NFL. I hope the Chargers sign him to a 15 year contract. B)

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

I'm sure Josh Allen could have broken a few passing records if it wasn't such a blowout.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he have about 343 yards passing in the first half?

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Having Sunday ticket is really nice except when you're trying to watch 3 games at the same time.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    edited October 9, 2022 3:02PM

The Dolphins without Tua.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well so much for Trevor Lawrence improving with Meyers not being the coach anymore.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

BAKER MAYFIELD PICKA SIXA! :D

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@Steven59 said: Well so much for Trevor Lawrence improving with Meyers not being the coach anymore.

There are quite a few bad HC's and equally bad QB's playing right now.

• Options

OK then, do the Rams really suck this bad or is Dallas a better team without Dak? Hmmmm......

• Options
    edited October 9, 2022 4:08PM

@doubledragon said:
    The Dolphins without Tua.

Well sometimes when you go for the meat it ends up smelling like fish.......... cigarettes are just taking the place of perfume :o

• Options

Well here ya go - I think Stafford was hanging out with Mayfield way too much during the offseason. Me thinks he's gone back to being the Lions Stafford.

• Options

Kyler committed two dorfus maneuvers within 10 seconds. Please send the little scamperer back to pee wee league, but in another state.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Well here ya go - I think Stafford was hanging out with Mayfield way too much during the offseason. Me thinks he's gone back to being the Lions Stafford.

After Goff’s performance the Rams don’t want him back either but Denver is looking for loop holes to get two #1’s and two #2’s back from Seattle

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@Ridethelightning said:
    Kyler committed two dorfus maneuvers within 10 seconds. Please send the little scamperer back to pee wee league, but in another state.

The scamper king showed his lack of knowledge in big situations. Football is more than running around making plays. It’s cerebral and Murray missed the home film session

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

I've had enough of this man, I can't deal with him anymore!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I've had enough of this man, I can't deal with him anymore!

You warned me not to bet on Carolina wins last year. I still did. You warned me not to bet on Carolina wins this year. I still did. The definition of insanity?
    Maybe the QB isn’t the problem. Maybe, no not maybe the coach is. If the owner is smart he’s firing him Monday. Everyone can’t suck this bad without help

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if any of you guys watched the late game tonight. There's been a lot of talk about Lamar Jackson improving as a thrower, but his overthrows were the story of the game. It also looks like he is significantly hampered by pressure in the pocket. I'm sure some people will say that he might regret turning down that money, but the reality is he will get paid a ton either way. Even if he drops off from this point. Based on the analysis I've read, his overall game had come into fruition. But those couple of overthrows were egregious. Lat drive of the game, when they just needed to get into FG range, he did look pretty formidable running the ball. Watching Burrow I noticed that he often didn't do his receivers any favors with his ball placement. Accuracy really is so key to consistently getting things done as a QB. All the players are so good, and yards after catch with a perfect pass can often be all the difference.

• Options

The biggest obstacle(s) for Jackson is that the Ravens don't have any dependable receivers outside of Mark Andrews and John Harbaugh is his HC.

• Options

@Maywood said:
    The biggest obstacle(s) for Jackson is that the Ravens don't have any dependable receivers outside of Mark Andrews and John Harbaugh is his HC.

Greg Roman’s offense is the reason they Ravens are built this way.He’s the reason Hollywood Brown is a Cardinal. Jackson saved Harbaughs job in 2018.
    Don’t look for any outside help next year unless it’s from a rookie. Jackson will get paid

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2022 5:12AM

But how about Justin Tucker? The guy is automatic. Has there been a GOAT kicker thread any time recently here?

ETA: I am not saying he is my choice necessarily...

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    But how about Justin Tucker? The guy is automatic. Has there been a GOAT kicker thread any time recently here?

Mr Automatic. With the Ravens offense stumbling he’s their best scoring weapon.
    Jackson has his flashes of brilliance but continues to miss easy throws. Against the Bengals two of them were easy TD’s. Just can’t have someone wide open and miss them by 5 yards.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

Mr Automatic. With the Ravens offense stumbling he’s their best scoring weapon.
    Jackson has his flashes of brilliance but continues to miss easy throws. Against the Bengals two of them were easy TD’s. Just can’t have someone wide open and miss them by 5 yards.

Those overthrows were really bad. The two close together plus the interception as well I believe. Overthrows happen, we all know that. Garoppolo has that recent over throw in the SB that would have won it. Watching Jackson last night, it looked to me as though he wasn't getting his feet set right. He has a very powerful arm and just launched those things.

• Options

So here are the ratings for the 6 highest drafted rookies from last year who are starters last and this year through 5:

Draft Pick # - Name - Overall Rank (QB rating) - QBR - QB rating

1rst - Trevor Lawrence - 15th - 52.4 - 88.0
    67th - Davis Mills - 24th - 32.1 - 80.6

15th - Mac Jones - 29th - 34.8 - 76.2 (3 games this year)
    2nd - Zac Wilson - 30th - 54.3 - 73.9 ( 2 games this year)
    11th - Justin Fields - 31rst - 37.0 - 73.1
    3rd - Trey Lance - 33rd - 38.4 - 55.0 (2 games this year)

So far, it does not look great for that qb class. Recall both Mahomes and Herbert by their sophomore year were looking elite with much better numbers than this. Lawrence has put up some good games, but then some bad games, inconsistent. Mills just ain't throwing enough TD's to move up in rankings. The other 4? Well, 3 of them have played ≤ 3 games. But one has to wonder if any of them will end up being elite and in the league as a starter in say 5 years. Maybe some of them will improve, there is still time.

For comparison:

Garoppolo - 7th - 41.2 - 97.8
    Mayfield - 32nd - 16.5 - 71.9

So Garo is almost up there with the big boys, Mayfield is even worse than what I expected this year, surely he won't be a starter again ever (out for a couple weeks now)?

Biggest + surprise has been Geno Smith, 32 years old, suddenly looking elite and #1 in QB rating, 4th in QBR, what's in the water in Seattle? Is that why Wilson was so good up there and now so bad?????????

Best, SH

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Reff that called the roughing the passer against the chiefs should be fired and never be allowed to be a referee again, at any level

Absolutely ridiculous

• Options

perkdog- If I could like your post 10,000 times I would sit here all night and do it.

I completely agree with Troy Aikman, he said roughing the passer calls need to be able to be reviewed.
    That would have been a huge turning point in the game if the correct call was made.
    Chiefs won and I'm still about as ticked off as when it happened.
    Great play Chris Jones!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

So how many fantasy points would you get for Travis Kelce, 25 yards receiving but 4 touchdowns! :p
    Never played fantasy but those are some weird stats.

Concerning the game, I don't know why the Chiefs went for 2 when they're ahead 30-23.
    Just kick the extra point and the Raiders have to get a TD and a 2 pointer just to tie.
    Almost backfired on the Chiefs.
    And the last play of the game is going down as one of my favorite plays of all time.
    Seeing two Raider receivers going deep and they run into each other and both come crashing to the ground.
    Oh man that was hilarious! What an amazing way to end the game. B)
    If I can get a decent pic of that it might be my avatar for a few weeks.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    So how many fantasy points would you get for Travis Kelce, 25 yards receiving but 4 touchdowns! :p
    Never played fantasy but those are some weird stats.

Concerning the game, I don't know why the Chiefs went for 2 when they're ahead 30-23.
    Just kick the extra point and the Raiders have to get a TD and a 2 pointer just to tie.
    Almost backfired on the Chiefs.
    And the last play of the game is going down as one of my favorite plays of all time.
    Seeing two Raider receivers going deep and they run into each other and both come crashing to the ground.
    Oh man that was hilarious! What an amazing way to end the game. B)
    If I can get a decent pic of that it might be my avatar for a few weeks.

I agree about questioning why the Chiefs went for 2 there. It seems like in the NFL you almost always want to take the points.

• Options

@Darin said:
    perkdog- If I could like your post 10,000 times I would sit here all night and do it.

I completely agree with Troy Aikman, he said roughing the passer calls need to be able to be reviewed.
    That would have been a huge turning point in the game if the correct call was made.
    Chiefs won and I'm still about as ticked off as when it happened.
    Great play Chris Jones!

I'm glad the Chiefs won, that penalty was absurd on every level

Blatantly wrong

• Options

@doubledragon No matter how the Panthers and Bills try to squash the rumors of CMC they keep popping up again.
    The Panthers have Mayfield and Darnold on short turn contracts. It may be time to get what they can for CMC and Robbie Anderson and start over.
    As far as CMC coming to the Bills if they get him for the price Arizona DeAndre Hopkins ( what was it a 5) they might bite and ship Zack Moss to the Panthers. Other than that the Bills won’t bite on a player that missed 25 of the last 33 games

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    @doubledragon No matter how the Panthers and Bills try to squash the rumors of CMC they keep popping up again.
    The Panthers have Mayfield and Darnold on short turn contracts. It may be time to get what they can for CMC and Robbie Anderson and start over.
    As far as CMC coming to the Bills if they get him for the price Arizona DeAndre Hopkins ( what was it a 5) they might bite and ship Zack Moss to the Panthers. Other than that the Bills won’t bite on a player that missed 25 of the last 33 games

I love CMC, I really do, but he just misses a lot of games. If he can stay healthy he can help you guys a lot, but he needs to actually play. I'm ok with the Panthers cleaning house, this season is a bust anyway.

• Options

You know what kind of game it is when Wentz is the best quarterback on the field.
    Jeff Bezos called. He wants his money back

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or have there been a lot of injuries to kickers this year? Hard to tell but it just seems that way. Anyone have any insight or stats on this?

• Options

@VikingDude said:
    Is it just me or have there been a lot of injuries to kickers this year? Hard to tell but it just seems that way. Anyone have any insight or stats on this?

I've noticed some, but I'm curious as well.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2022 5:22AM

it takes a special kind of terrible to lose a game like the Bears did last night. but unfortunately for me, that's the best way to describe my team.

not only did they have an almost 2:1 yards advantage for the game, but they got inside Washington's 5-yard-line on three separate occasions and walked away with a grand total of.................wait for it...............wait for it...............zero points on those three drives.

Fields showed glimpses, but he's very inconsistent. he'd make a play with either his arm or legs, then turn around and botch the next one. he missed one of the easiest throws you'll ever see from the Washington 3 and his TE wide freaking open in the end zone. in his defense, however, his weaponry is scraping the bottom of the barrel. seriously, pull up the box score and look at the guys he throws to.

i have never thought much of Carson Wentz, ever, but i think even less of him today. he is supremely awful. i don't think he even threw for 100 yards last night.

i knew that game was going to mirror Colts/Broncos, yet i still didn't take the under. maybe one day i'll stop being terrible, too.

• Options

I knew I was a loser because I’m on a terrible streak but the Bears bailed me out with 3 trips inside the five, zero points and a muffed punt.
    @perkdog I know slumps. About 10 years ago I was super hot winning $3-4K a sitting at hold ‘em. Had 2 players dead on the River for a $6K pot and a one outer ace let them split the pot. I went on a two year losing streak, no matter how good the odds were for me someone drew out on me. Discouraging but it ended. Hang in there buddy

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2022 10:58AM

Two years in Fields can’t read the field. He doesn’t recognize an open receiver in the pro game. Hesitates, happy feet, one read and takes off. Without the right QB guru he will be just another bust unless he makes Josh Allen strides in year 3.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I knew I was a loser because I’m on a terrible streak but the Bears bailed me out with 3 trips inside the five, zero points and a muffed punt.
    @perkdog I know slumps. About 10 years ago I was super hot winning $3-4K a sitting at hold ‘em. Had 2 players dead on the River for a $6K pot and a one outer ace let them split the pot. I went on a two year losing streak, no matter how good the odds were for me someone drew out on me. Discouraging but it ended. Hang in there buddy

Thanks Joe, believe me I know we all go through it

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2022 7:58PM

Looks like the Panthers have McCaffrey on the trade block and are looking for multiple picks in return for him. NE owns CAR's 3rd & 6th rounders in this next draft, maybe BB can find a way to make a deal happen. I remember reading before his draft that BB had interest in him heading into draft day but a move up into the top 10 would be too costly for NE.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34801777/sources-panthers-listening-christian-mccaffrey-trade-offers

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Looks like the Panthers have McCaffrey on the trade block and are looking for multiple picks in return for him. NE owns CAR's 3rd & 6th rounders in this next draft, maybe BB can find a way to make a deal happen. I remember reading before his draft that BB had interest in him heading into draft day but a move up into the top 10 would be too costly for NE.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34801777/sources-panthers-listening-christian-mccaffrey-trade-offers

That's not a trade I'd like to see

• Options

Not sure what CMC’s contract is and if there’s a no trade clause but I highly doubt he’d go to New England with a 2nd year QB. My opinion is he’s like to win now and only a SB contender would suffice

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2022 9:59AM

Oh, I'm sorry to have to report this to you 2dueces, but I just read an article about a Bills radio host, I think his name is DiBiase, saying some pretty frightening stuff about the Bills potentially picking up Booger Mayfield in the offseason to back up Josh Allen, a terrifying thought indeed. If you want a good scare for Halloween, follow this link!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-baker-mayfield-free-agency/amp/

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

That's not a trade I'd like to see

I think he'd give us another weapon in both the rushing & passing game but I get the sentiment with his injury history over the previous two seasons. His salary over the this season (1M base salary) and next (11M base) wouldn't really hurt us overall.

@2dueces said:
    Not sure what CMC’s contract is and if there’s a no trade clause but I highly doubt he’d go to New England with a 2nd year QB. My opinion is he’s like to win now and only a SB contender would suffice

He doesn't have a No-trade clause and I doubt he'll have any say in where he gets dealt if it even happens at all.

• Options

The Ravens just messed around and got beat by the Giants 24-20.

• Options

Bailey Zappe has the Patriots rolling, they destroyed the Browns today 38-15. I believe he has a 100+ passer rating these past two games.

• Options

Meanwhile in Green Bay....

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Ravens just messed around and got beat by the Giants 24-20.

That is pretty much the story of the Ravens season. They had huge lead on Miami and blew it. I think that that Jackson is overrated as a quarterback.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Jets beat Green Bay
    Giants move to 5-1
    Who would’ve thought that Daboll would turn it around so soon?

W.C.Fields