The official 2022 NFL season thread

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super Bowl XX re-match tonight!!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Green Bay has laid 3 straight eggs, he's just got to be stressed.

And to right the Green Bay ship they get to come to Western New York on Sunday night.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

I'm hearing Zappe hour might be extended one more night.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Living in Cowboys country, there has been no escaping the enthusias surrounding Dak's return.

@Steven59 said:
    Same thing I posted on the "NFL picks" thread - this may leave more answers?????

"What the Hell? WTF is wrong with Green Bay, Tampa Bay, And the San Diego Chargers with everybody from last season annointing Herbert as the next Hall of Famer?????????"

I'd say it's definitely some combination of coaching, talent, execution, and personnel. 🤷🤣

Chargers fans are screaming for a new HC and OC.

showtime- I've been saying for a long time, the Chargers coach just makes some crazy decisions, and fairly often!
    He should have cost them a win earlier this year after he went for a fourth down, didn't make it, and the opposing
    team was already pretty much in field goal territory. He escaped a lot of wrath that game because the other team
    missed the game winning field goal.
    And I'm sure last year he cost them at least two games by making the same type of foolish decisions. Just no common sense.
    I haven't really watched them a lot this year but their offense must not be clicking like last year because they're just
    not putting up the points this year.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@grote15 said:
    It's been a long time since the Jets were 5-2 after Week 7.

Its been a long time since grote has posted on this board consistently.
    Hoping that 5-2 record gets you to start coming around more often.
    Congrats on the Jets getting off to a great start. :)

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@perkdog
    I’m thinking of making a huge wager on the patriots tonight $1k. BB always pounds weak teams into submission and tonight looks like another of those games.

What’s your thoughts?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2022 5:56PM

@Darin said:

@grote15 said:
    It's been a long time since the Jets were 5-2 after Week 7.

Its been a long time since grote has posted on this board consistently.
    Hoping that 5-2 record gets you to start coming around more often.
    Congrats on the Jets getting off to a great start. :)

Thanks, Darin, I appreciate that and will try...I did coordinate an unopened group break over on the main forum so was busy over there for the past few weeks but I enjoy stopping by over here, too.

Of course, just as things are going swimmingly for the Jets of late, we lose one of our most dynamic players, maybe our best offensive skill set player, Breece Hall, to a torn ACL...I saw we traded for James Robinson to help Michael Carter out..not a bad trade as he usually puts up decent numbers for a guy who doesnt seem that impressive otherwise.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

NE's offense looks so more confident right now with Zappe in there over Mac.

• Options

That Pats Bears game was too much for me. I'll be back Thursday to make my picks. I need to decompress. Lol.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2022 3:28AM

@2dueces said:
    @perkdog
    I’m thinking of making a huge wager on the patriots tonight $1k. BB always pounds weak teams into submission and tonight looks like another of those games.

What’s your thoughts?

Joe, I almost tried to get my money back with Pats ML, Pats -2.5 and Pats -8 but decided to take my loss and not chase

I missed this post and I'm glad I did because I would have told you I supported your bet, I HOPE you didn't bet it, this game hurt alot of people I'm thinking

Please tell me you didn't touch it

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    @perkdog

What’s your thoughts?

Joe, I almost tried to get my money back with Pats ML, Pats -2.5 and Pats -8 but decided to take my loss and not chase

I missed this post and I'm glad I did because I would have told you I supported your bet, I HOPE you didn't bet it, this game hurt alot of people I'm thinking

I didn’t pull the trigger on the big bet as I questioned Mac Jones health. I did place these
    Patriots-8.5 for 50

2 team teaser for 50
    Patriots-2.5
    Over 34.5

I’m not sure what’s going on with the Patriots after last night but it’s apparent Mac is in Bills dog house. You don’t start your franchise QB for 3 series and pull him, ever! That was part of the plan says Bill? Ok whatever you say

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2022 4:57AM

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    @perkdog

What’s your thoughts?

I didn’t pull the trigger on the big bet as I questioned Mac Jones health. I did place these
    Patriots-8.5 for 50

2 team teaser for 50
    Patriots-2.5
    Over 34.5

I’m not sure what’s going on with the Patriots after last night but it’s apparent Mac is in Bills dog house. You don’t start your franchise QB for 3 series and pull him, ever! That was part of the plan says Bill? Ok whatever you say

Ok that's a much easier pill to swallow than a 1k number

My best judgment is to stay far away from the Pats, they are like a box of chocolates. No idea what your going to get, Tampa is with them now as well

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    @perkdog

What’s your thoughts?

Patriots-8.5 for 50

2 team teaser for 50
    Patriots-2.5
    Over 34.5

Ok that's a much easier pill to swallow than a 1k number

My best judgment is to stay far away from the Pats, they are like a box of chocolates. No idea what your going to get, Tampa is with them now as well

Tampa was already on that list along with Atlanta. I can honestly say I’ve lost zero dollars on these two teams in 3 years.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2022 3:52AM

@doubledragon said:
    The Packers have lost 3 straight games, Aaron Rodgers has got to be stressed out right now.

“Take three mushrooms and call me in the morning.”

This demonstrates how difficult football is as a game and how hard it is to maintain excellence. Brady and Rogers are both old for the game, and they are distracted with many outside interests and distractions. Neither of them are really focused. Add to that supporting players who aren’t that good or who also over the hill, and you see two teams that represent the changing of guard. The Jets, Giants and Eagles are on the rise, and the Packers and Bucks are fading.

The Lions, however, remain the same. :D

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:
    The Packers have lost 3 straight games, Aaron Rodgers has got to be stressed out right now.

“Take three mushrooms and call me in the morning.”

LOL. You should have seen him at a recent press conference, he was basically wearing his bathrobe.

• Options

• Options

I thought about Rodgers and Brady last night. Granted both have gotten off to slow starts but can we really count them completely out? We’ve seen Brady struggle, call him over the hill at 40 years old. Rodgers has had some slow start. Not quite this slow.
    I don’t think we’ve seen the last from either one of them and that kinda scares me for Sunday night.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Man the Raiders suck, they're getting spanked by the Saints right now.

• Options

The Steelers look like crap today against the Eagles.

• Options

Yep, the Raiders are definitely about to lose to the Saints. A live look at Raiders owner Mark Davis....

• Options

Oh yeah, the Eagles are putting a beating on the Steelers now, the Eagles sideline is happy, they're hugging eachother, kissing, strutting their tailfeather, you go girlfriend!

• Options
    edited October 30, 2022 1:13PM

Well, the stink butt Panthers lost to the Falcons, back to business as usual, Booger Mayfield strikes again.

• Options

• Options

Unfortunately DD, your “little cats” may have found a way to pull defeat out of jaws of victory today. They scored a miracle “Hail Mary” touchdown on Atlanta, then the receiver took his helmet off in celebration. The resulting penalty caused the kicker to miss the extra point. So game goes to overtime.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Jets got screwed on a roughing the passer before halftime. Should have been 17-3. Flag came out as the defender was running by the line of scrimmage. I don’t know what to think of that late flag calling back an 84 yard pick six

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Seattle gets stipped of the ball on the 2 and the Giants walk in with a gift TD - then just now Giants fumble a return punt and now Seattle is in the Red Zone - fun stuff right before end of 1st half!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

The 49ers are leading 24-14 over the Rams in the 4th, it's ridiculous how the 49ers own the Rams in the regular season, own them!

• Options

Touchdown 49ers, this one's over.

• Options

Thriller in Indy. Fun game

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

Note to Self - "Quit picking the Colts to win" -

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@2dueces said:

Note to Self - "Quit picking the Colts to win" -

I'll have to make a note of that myself!

• Options

It's good to see Christian McCaffrey have a good game for the 49ers today, if he can stay healthy then he's really going to help them, I'm glad the kid found a team that can actually compete.

• Options

In honor of the greatest horror movie ever made, happy Halloween everyone!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    It's good to see Christian McCaffrey have a good game for the 49ers today, if he can stay healthy then he's really going to help them, I'm glad the kid found a team that can actually compete.

Ran,caught and threw touchdowns in his second game in SF, just wait till he picks up the offense.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Ran,caught and threw touchdowns in his second game in SF, just wait till he picks up the offense.

He's like a swiss army knife, he can do it all, he's going to be a real weapon once he settles in, I just hope he can stay healthy.

• Options

It looks like the LA Rams might not make the post season. That would be most enjoyable. B)

• Options

Meanwhile in Buffalo.

• Options

I think it's (sports) shameful for defenses to celebrate takeaways, everytime, the way they do now... particularly when your team is down big.

• Options

The Bengals laid an egg last night. @perkdog if you remember our conversation about first place schedules and me predicting the Bengals would miss the playoffs all together. 4-4 and their last 7 games are brutal. Under 10 wins seems like a gift now.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

My entire futures bets
    NY Jets over 5.5 for $250
    Broncos under 10 for $250
    Bengals under 10 for $200
    Bills over 11.5 for $200
    Patriots under 8.5 for $100
    Cardinals under 10 for $100
    Cowboys under 10.5 for $100
    Rams over 10.5 for $100
    Eagles over 8 for $100
    Raiders over 8.5 for $100
    Panthers over 6 for $100

Panthers, cowboys and Rams look pretty iffy after 8 weeks
    Raiders are dead.
    . Patriots have a tough 7 games closing out the season but still might pull off 9 wins.
    The big ones, Jets, Broncos, Bills and Bengals look promising

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bengals problem(s) aren't their schedule, it seems to be injuries and the management's inability to fix the offensive line.

I like to consider how one player can change the entire dynamic of a team, in this case, Ja'mar Chase being on the field and the way it would have affected the Browns defense. Cleveland blitzed more last night and played successful man-to-man coverage simply because Chase wasn't playing. That also severely affected the Bengals running game and almost eliminated those swing passes to their RB's.

I'm not sure what's wrong with the Cincy defense but they didn't play well. Part of that, a large part, was the play of Jacoby Brissett who was exceptionally on target last night. He typically has a streak every game where he's just off but last night he threw maybe two bad passes. The nicest one was the crossing ball to Amari Cooper where Brissett hit him in stride at full speed. The Browns QB has filled in and managed things nicely.

This season has been a strange one in the NFL and nobody, aside from maybe the Bills and the Chiefs, are doing what we expected them to do.

• Options

Miami trades for Denver pass rusher Bradley Chubb.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34925836/sources-dolphins-trade-broncos-lb-bradley-chubb

Miami got three first round picks when SF traded up for QB Trey Lance in the 2021 draft. They turned those three firsts into Jaylen Waddle,Tryeek Hill and Bradley Chubb.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Vikings are going for it. today they upgraded at TE and traded for T.J. Hockenson.

no reason at all for them not to sniff 28-30 points regularly, as they've got all kinds of playmakers on the offensive side of the ball

• Options

A frenzied Tuesday trade deadline. Bills acquired Hines from the Colts for Zack Moss, who’s been a healthy scratch the last 3 games and a 6th round draft choice. Hines us know as a good pass catching back.
    I knew Moss was gone and McDermitt didn’t want to risk an injury after 3 weeks inactive.
    Hines just adds one more 3rd down weapon until James Cook learns the pass blocking trade.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2022 2:31PM

Chase Claypool can't catch a break let alone a pass.

From the hapless Steelers to probably a worse situation in Chicago?

• Options

W.C.Fields
  • Options

A few days ago the Chiefs traded for another receiver, LaDarius Toney.
    He's supposed to be a pretty good playmaker when healthy, and one NFL analyst even
    said he is now the Chiefs best receiver.
    We'll see. Right now I'll just be happy if he stays healthy.
    He made a good first impression on Mahomes which is always nice since he's the guy who will get you the ball.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Calvin Ridley traded to jags. He’s been suspended indefinitely but can apply to get back in February. He missed 5 games due to mental health issues and then suspended for gambling. When and if he’s healthy and ready to play he’s a very talented receiver. Win, win for the Jaguars for a late round draft choices that could turn out to much more if he pans out

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I picked Minnesota over Washington this week, as I am sure many did, but the more I look at it I'm thinking Washington has a good chance here.

• Options
    edited November 5, 2022 5:53AM

The Bucks are playing the Rams in one of the late (4:30) games on Sunday. I’m sure the scheduler thought that one would be a prime candidate for The Game of the Week when he scheduled it. As it is, it’s going to be “The Disappointment Bowl” staring the “over the hill gang” vs. the “underperforming squadron”. Perhaps Brady and company will have a big day and score 14 points.