Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2022 NFL season thread

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2022 4:51PM

i watched last night's game and not that anyone cares, but here's my dos centavos

Patriots: looked the part of a .500 team. can probably take out bottom-dwellers more often than not, but not enough playmakers on the roster to regularly hang with upper-echelon teams.

Bills: i still love the way Allen plays. it's like controlled reckless abandon. "f this pop tarts, i'm about to make a play" is the look he has out there. i personally dig it, but on occasion he will come very close to crossing the proverbial line by either putting himself in harm's way (when running) or uncorking an ill-advised throw or 3 into an extremely tight window.

but my biggest takeaway for Buffalo was the wiggle that both Cook and Singletary showed out of the backfield. for Buffalo to win the SB this year they HAVE to have that. it creates balance, it keeps the opposing D on its toes, and it prevents Allen from entering full-blown Super Man mode out there trying to win the game by himself...........which is not a recipe for success. if those guys provide consistent production on the ground the way they did last night, then i still say the Bills are going to be a very, very tough out come playoffs time.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i watched last night's game and not that anyone cares, but here's my dos centavos

Patriots: looked the part of a .500 team. can probably take out bottom-dwellers more often than not, but not enough playmakers on the roster to regularly hang with upper-echelon teams.

Bills: i still love the way Allen plays. it's like controlled reckless abandon. "f this pop tarts, i'm about to make a play" is the look he has out there. i personally dig it, but on occasion he will come very close to crossing the proverbial line by either putting himself in harm's way (when running) or uncorking an ill-advised throw or 3 into an extremely tight window.

but my biggest takeaway for Buffalo was the wiggle that both Cook and Singletary showed out of the backfield. for Buffalo to win the SB this year they HAVE to have that. it creates balance, it keeps the opposing D on its toes, and it prevents Allen from entering full-blown Super Man mode out there trying to win the game by himself...........which is not a recipe for success. if those guys provide consistent production on the ground the way they did last night, then i still say the Bills are going to be a very, very tough out come playoffs time.

Cook is finally learning the offense and McDermitt is trusting him with the ball. Knox was held with no catches because he mostly remained in the back field as an extra blocker. He a lot bigger than a back for blitzing linebackers and Buffalo didn’t have to trust Cook with the assignment.
    It was a different offense watching them grind out a 10 minute drive and a bunch of 3rd and shorts.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2022 8:00PM

James Cook looks to be getting better each week, I wonder if they saw that as well as his potential upside and didn't go full on for McCaffrey for those reasons?

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns - Tejanos halftime. Watson has a very long way to go, he looks like he should be in a Tejanos uniform to fit in to how terrible they are this year. I dunno which qb is worse in this game, yikes.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Oh...........

"Yahoo Sports
    Lamar Jackson ruled out for Ravens game after leaving with knee injury"

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Oh Oh...........

"Yahoo Sports
    Lamar Jackson ruled out for Ravens game after leaving with knee injury"

Yep, here's the video of the play, it looks like he was injured on a tackle from Jonothan Cooper.

• Options

My goodness, the Titans offense looks like crap today, they're on the verge of back to back losses.

• Options

My God, the Broncos are absolutely hideous.

• Options

So KC drives right down the field for a TD andnow leads in the 3rd quarter.......... C'mon Burrow, time to step it up :)

• Options

WOW! - Burrow throws a perfect pass to a wide open receiver in the end zone and the bum drops it. Field goal ties it at 17

• Options

I have to give Aaron Rodgers credit for one thing, he owns the Bears.

• Options

He was stoned on psychedelic mushrooms, he was munching them down the entire game!

• Options

With the Chiefs and Dolphins loses the Bills are now the #1 seed in the AFC with 3 home games against AFC East opponent on the schedule. Mixed in is a game against the Bears and a very exciting showdown with Cincinnati week 17.
    A few thoughts:
    The Dolphins last 5 games against subpar defenses gave the illusion Tua was something he wasn’t. Good football team but not the elite they were billed as.
    What is it about Cincinnati that has Kansas City’s #? Did they also build a team to beat the Chiefs?
    Is the 49ers season over?
    Baltimore’s too?
    Looks like White isn’t the answer in New York but damn they are a feisty team. Minnesota is a heart attack team for sure.
    Aaron Rodgers still owns the Bears.
    Tennessee is still a pretender but will get at least one playoff game. Ugh.
    Philly still hasn’t been tested but can’t argue with their record.
    No way Jerry Jones let’s the NFL flex the Cowboys out of prime time.
    Is the NFL East the least tested division?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    He was stoned on psychedelic mushrooms, he was munching them down the entire game!

Thank you for this. I really needed to see this on a Monday morning!!!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched...lol...and at the end of your clip he says the Cowboys are at least making the NFC Championship. Listening to a bit of local sports radio this morning, I can attest that Cowboys fans and media are feeling pretty good this morning. It's been culminating for awhile.

• Options

More breaking news:

'PANTHERS RELEASE BAKER MAYFIELD.'

• Options

"With the Panthers out of playoff contention and Mayfield not part of the team's future, Carolina released the 2018 No. 1 overall pick to allow him to pursue a chance with a playoff contender. If they were planning to cut him before Sunday's slate of games, they would have done so a week ago heading into the Week 13 bye."

• Options

randomish thought after yesterday's action: Derrick Henry looked like he had aged 15 years since the last time i saw him tote the rock. not even remotely the back i had become accustomed to watching. that then led me to dig up his game log.

did the dude slam into the inescapable RB wall after week 9 ?

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Belichick has had three drafts to fix things and he hasn’t. It looks like his years with the Browns were more indicative of his talents than the great years with the Patriots. Brady was the spark. Jones is not the quarterback who will this team to more than mediocrity.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

let's put Russell Wilson's ineptitude in proper perspective, shall we

last night the Cowboys scored 5 touchdowns in the 4th quarter

since Halloween the Broncos have scored 3 touchdowns

you're welcome, i'll be here all week

• Options

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

Thank you for this. I really needed to see this on a Monday morning!!!!

You're welcome buddy, always glad to help!

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    randomish thought after yesterday's action: Derrick Henry looked like he had aged 15 years since the last time i saw him tote the rock. not even remotely the back i had become accustomed to watching. that then led me to dig up his game log.

did the dude slam into the inescapable RB wall after week 9 ?

I can foresee changes to draft structure/payscale/something regarding rookie running back contracts.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

So all of us knew when tayson hill had that ball knocked out of his hands on 3rd and 17 that the saints just lost the game even though they were ahead by 6 points right?

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

I enjoyed watching the Bucs comeback win.

• Options

I’m not a fan of Brady but I would have put 1k on the bucs winning when they started that final drive of the game.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:
    I’m not a fan of Brady but I would have put 1k on the bucs winning when they started that final drive of the game.

I felt it (the 2 TD comeback) in my gut when it was 16-3 and Tampa started the drive that made it 16-10. That was the time...but I am a fan, so perhaps it was just wishful thinking (muscle memory).

I think the losing record is a big issue. I've removed the "nonsensical" tag from it.

• Options

Showtime…. Amazing how the bucs offense was stagnant the whole game but came up big the last two drives. On our picks contest when it was 16-3 and the saints had the ball I had given myself a loss, but then when NO punted and Brady drove them downfield for a quick TD and it was 16-10 it was like well it’s not over yet!

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Tampa punting with 8 minutes left down 16-3 and the crowd booing. I said to myself, this ain’t over.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I missed the big comeback. The Bucks were so “typical” (no offense) of what they have been this season the I watched “National Lampoon’s Christmas Story” instead.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@Darin said:
    So all of us knew when tayson hill had that ball knocked out of his hands on 3rd and 17 that the saints just lost the game even though they were ahead by 6 points right?

This is correct. It felt inevitable.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Showtime…. Amazing how the bucs offense was stagnant the whole game but came up big the last two drives. On our picks contest when it was 16-3 and the saints had the ball I had given myself a loss, but then when NO punted and Brady drove them downfield for a quick TD and it was 16-10 it was like well it’s not over yet!

I think it is because they were running the hurry up and Brady is calling his own plays. Byron has been terrible calling plays this season. I dont know why they are playing up-tempo most of the game. I saw a stat that the bucs are top 5 in the league when running hurry up.

• Options

It is absolutely incredible that a 45-year-old quarterback is able to play at this level. I think everyone (self-included) just says "oh, its Brady. they will come back and win". But this is beyond even Nolan Ryan level here. A 45-year-old man playing QB at this level us completely unprecedented.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

I think it is because they were running the hurry up and Brady is calling his own plays. Byron has been terrible calling plays this season. I dont know why they are playing up-tempo most of the game. I saw a stat that the bucs are top 5 in the league when running hurry up.

I think that is lot of the Buck’s offense problems stem the play calling and the coach. I get sick of watching them on the one yard line calling for pitch out and then a run into the middle of the line. They end up losing 3 or 4 yards every time. Why make the running back run 5 yards when he only needs 1?

• Options

6 teams have byes this week in the NFL and only one , Washington, is a playoff contender. Not sure how it worked out this way this year.
    Do you think a late bye would have been better for teams like Miami, Seattle, KC etc.
    I’m thinking a late bye for playoff contenders would come just at the right time to get healthy for the late season push.
    Thoughts?

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2022 2:44PM

Does Seattle or Atlanta have any hope to win their divisions?

If they do I cash for $3K

• Options

@2dueces said:
    6 teams have byes this week in the NFL and only one , Washington, is a playoff contender. Not sure how it worked out this way this year.
    Do you think a late bye would have been better for teams like Miami, Seattle, KC etc.
    I’m thinking a late bye for playoff contenders would come just at the right time to get healthy for the late season push.
    Thoughts?

Baltimore could use it for Lamar but the rest of the teams are pretty healthy at the moment.

Injuries are nothing you can predict or plan for as you know, I do think a team that is playing well is fine pressing on while they are clicking

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Von Miller out for the year after surgery. Whats up with the Rams benching their starting QB after 1 series. Not injured. Line was set with him playing. After the first series Mayfield is plugged in. Wonder if the line would of been different with Baker starting. Even the announcers on the radio broadcast were of a suspicious tone. Hmmm.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Raiders are up to their old tricks blowing a nice lead. They’re trash.
    Hope Carr cries again.
    Cry baby cry!! 😥😭

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Carr throws a terrible pass as time expires in the first half. Bet those 3 points look good right about now.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I missed the game. I didn't know Baker would play. I figured he would start next game.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    So Von Miller out for the year after surgery. Whats up with the Rams benching their starting QB after 1 series. Not injured. Line was set with him playing. After the first series Mayfield is plugged in. Wonder if the line would of been different with Baker starting. Even the announcers on the radio broadcast were of a suspicious tone. Hmmm.

• Options

Does Cleveland with Watson continue its recent trend against Cincinnati this weekend? Mayfield and Keenan beat them last year. If Brissett was starting I’d be all over the upset but we don’t know what we get with Watson.
    Is there really a huge drop off from Jackson to Huntley against Pittsburgh. I’m sure the plan is to run Edwards and some options. Granted Huntley isn’t the break away run threat Jackson is but he can run the offense. This is a grind them out 17-13 game and gotta love the under.
    Minnesota at 10-2 goes to Detroit 5-7 and is a two point underdog. Justin Jefferson is going to have a field day against 2nd string corners. I see this as a 38-35 type game. Gotta love the over here.

Thoughts?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

The board has been kinda NFL dead this week. Are you tired of it? Remember we have 7 months without it. Enjoy it while you can. Ok

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Does Cleveland with Watson continue its recent trend against Cincinnati this weekend? Mayfield and Keenan beat them last year. If Brissett was starting I’d be all over the upset but we don’t know what we get with Watson.
    Is there really a huge drop off from Jackson to Huntley against Pittsburgh. I’m sure the plan is to run Edwards and some options. Granted Huntley isn’t the break away run threat Jackson is but he can run the offense. This is a grind them out 17-13 game and gotta love the under.
    Minnesota at 10-2 goes to Detroit 5-7 and is a two point underdog. Justin Jefferson is going to have a field day against 2nd string corners. I see this as a 38-35 type game. Gotta love the over here.

Thoughts?

Cincy has looked much better and with Jamar Chase back I think they will be too much for Watson and company,

Minnesota and Detroit should be a high flying affair, I'm reading that a lot of writers like Detroit, I think they will find a way to lose

• Options

lol @ Dallas losing to Houston junior college at home at half

there's a reason why the Cowboys haven't won squat in decades..........you cannot trust them, ever

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

there's a reason why the Cowboys haven't won squat in decades..........you cannot trust them, ever

No, you can never trust the Cowboys. I expect them to win this game, but things always feel just a bit off with them. As I always say, a lot of it comes down to Dak's inaccuracy. Failing to throw guys open, or hit them in stride, is costly.

Today's tv broadcast has Mark Sanchez making what I think is his debut as a color guy. Maybe I'm wrong. I know that he is infamous for the "butt fumble". But I actually remember him more for being perhaps the most important teammate of Dak's during that amazing rookie year. Anyone who thinks Romo was coaching up Dak is mistaken. But Sanchez was a constant coach and influence guiding Dak. I heard Sanchez being interviewed pregame today on local sports radio. It was a good listen. He mentioned the difference between accuracy and precision. I always say that Dak is not accurate. But maybe precision is what he is truly lacking. Either way, ... 🏈

• Options

How about the Lions, they're beating the Vikings 28-13 in the 4th. The Vikings are going to lose this game.

• Options

Ii think Deshaun Watson is going to need a massage after the Bengals game, better go incognito.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2022 1:42PM

The Eagles might be the hottest team in the NFL right now, they are stomping the Giants 34-14.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

No, you can never trust the Cowboys. I expect them to win this game, but things always feel just a bit off with them. As I always say, a lot of it comes down to Dak's inaccuracy. Failing to throw guys open, or hit them in stride, is costly.

Today's tv broadcast has Mark Sanchez making what I think is his debut as a color guy. Maybe I'm wrong. I know that he is infamous for the "butt fumble". But I actually remember him more for being perhaps the most important teammate of Dak's during that amazing rookie year. Anyone who thinks Romo was coaching up Dak is mistaken. But Sanchez was a constant coach and influence guiding Dak. I heard Sanchez being interviewed pregame today on local sports radio. It was a good listen. He mentioned the difference between accuracy and precision. I always say that Dak is not accurate. But maybe precision is what he is truly lacking. Either way, ... 🏈

How bout them Cowboys.