Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2022 NFL season thread

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2022 2:53PM

Panthers win 37-23 over the Lions, our running game was the story today, Chuba Hubbard and D'onta Foreman combined for almost 300 yards on the ground, the Lions just couldn't stop it.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles up 17-14. It looks like it’s going to be one of those knock down, drag out fights.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@doubledragon said:
    Panthers win 37-23 over the Lions, our running game was the story today, Chuba Hubbard and D'onta Foreman combined for almost 300 yards on the ground, the Lions just couldn't stop it.

Yes, the Panthers might nose out the sleepy Bucks.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@2dueces said:
    Best bet of the day. Frigid temperatures against a dome team. Saints are 1-6 on the road. Watson finding his legs and Nick Chubb.

Well, never underestimate the ability of the Browns to screw things up.

Tipped pass and a go ahead TD. Watson is no better than Brissett and Cleveland mortgages the house. But Denver said “Hold my beer”

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:

Yes, the Panthers might nose out the sleepy Bucks.

Told ya don’t give up on the kittens. I still have a working $100 wager on over 6 wins with 2 games to go.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@perkdog For all the great things Stevenson has done could he possibly have had 2 worse weeks. Man I soooo was rooting for the Pats. The Bengals were toast.
    I really thought the whistle should have blown with forward progress

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

The Vikings with their stash of four leaf clovers and horseshoes

• Options

The Bills answered a couple of questions yesterday albeit it was against the Bears. Could they run the ball 250+ yards and could they contain the hottest running QB, 7 carries 11 yards. Could they win even from an off game from Allen although an off game is 2TD passes and 1 TD rushing.
    James Cook is the break away speedster needed, Hines ability to catch passes and kickoff and punt returns. Bills won by 22 even though Diggs had 2 catches for 26 yards. On to Cincinnati

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Looks like the cream puff schedules for both teams manifested into a 7-7 flag football game. Both records are an illusion that the NFL loves. Dallas sells more merchandise and Eagles fans pack their stadium to beat up opponents fans and pelt Santa Claus with ice balls.
    My Christmas wish is one or the other plays San Francisco and gets the s… kicked out of them. One and done for both.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Heck of a game between the Packers and Dolphins, is Aaron Rodgers going to spoil Christmas in Miami, we shall see.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2022 3:53PM

Miami proved that they don’t belong in the play-offs this year. The quarterback had a terrible game in the second half.

As for Rogers, I wouldn’t start getting his finger fitted for a Super Bowl ring until he’s beaten a real contender.

As for the second game, it looks like the Denver Ponies are ready for the glue factory.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Heck of a game between the Packers and Dolphins, is Aaron Rodgers going to spoil Christmas in Miami, we shall see.

Where are the happy time mushrooms?

• Options

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:

Where are the happy time mushrooms?

Probably in LA, the Rams are destroying the Broncos 31-3, this one's over.

• Options

We can officially put the MVP for Rua talk to bed. Of course he can still be in the discussion because he did hit 3 wide open Packers with the game on the line.
    Tyrek Hill says Tua’s the most accurate passers he’s ever seen. The Packers secondary seconds that motion.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Unbelievable how bad the Broncos stunk it up on Christmas, yikes.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

I’ll give you $250M and a few #1’s for that car.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@doubledragon said:

Looks like an American Motors product. Spare parts are hard to find.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2022 7:07PM

Will the Tampa Bay Bucks become the Buckboards in this game? Probably. The pundits are saying the Bucks will win. They said the same for Miami.

The Tampa Buckboards are off and running. Can this season end soon enough for them? I hope they fire the coaching staff, but that will take a few losing seasons.

One yard, three shots. The Buckboards don’t get it. Same play, same runner. Their offensive coordinator is the village, no check that, the NFL idiot. Fire these clowns now! Don’t let them finish the season!

Byron Leftwich is the NFL’s offense coordinator idiot. Fire him now!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    We can officially put the MVP for Rua talk to bed. Of course he can still be in the discussion because he did hit 3 wide open Packers with the game on the line.
    Tyrek Hill says Tua’s the most accurate passers he’s ever seen. The Packers secondary seconds that motion.

The crazy part is Tua still had a passer rating of 81! Higher than Rodgers at 78.
    I’m going to start giving QBR much more importance than passer rating.

The reason Tua’s rating was a respectable 81 is because of 12.5 yards per attempt. Clearly not enough importance placed on 3 picks with the game on the line.
    QBR was around 22 which makes more sense.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2022 6:59PM

@Darin passer rating is crap. it is derived from aggregate stats rather than detailed analysis of each play a QB is involved in. it does not put plays into any context; they are treated equally by the passer rating formula. there is no attempt to make one play more or less important than another, which is absurd. and a large part of a QB's performance -- sacks, fumbles, designed runs, scrambles, etc -- are completely ignored.

meanwhile, QBR incorporates ALL of a QB's contributions to winning. far more comprehensive.

• Options

Galaxy, I started reading a lengthy article about QBR the other day but haven’t finished it yet.
    It said ESPN came up with it.
    I think it’s a pretty complicated formula, I noticed right after a game is over I can get a qb’s passer rating immediately but the QBR takes 30 minutes or so to show up.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    edited December 25, 2022 7:46PM

The statistics that should really count is, how many turnovers does the quarterback commit? If he turns over the ball regularly, everything else he does is meaningless. Jamis Winston proved that during his time with the Bucks.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2022 7:34PM

“Everything is out of sorts” (with Tampa).

It’s because the Head Coach and the Offensive Coordinator are incompetent. Fire them now! To hell with this season. It’s over! Fire them!

Go back to old school football and let Brady call the plays. He could never do worse than Leftwich. The guy has failed since the third game of the season. The only reason why the Bucks did well early on was the hangover from previous years.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't see Brady closing out his career like this. The idea of Brady going to the Bucs in the first place was out of left field. So there is no way to honestly know for sure what will happen.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2022 7:50PM

Washed up Brady throws another interception!

Get ready, @doubledragon. Your Panthers are going to the playoffs. Tampa can’t win another game this season.

Washed up Tom misses another easy pass for a first down. Is it Leftwich or Brady? Maybe it’s a combination of both.

• Options

@Darin said:

Galaxy, I started reading a lengthy article about QBR the other day but haven’t finished it yet.
    It said ESPN came up with it.
    I think it’s a pretty complicated formula, I noticed right after a game is over I can get a qb’s passer rating immediately but the QBR takes 30 minutes or so to show up.

all passer rating requires is some quick arithmetic...........that's why it is spit out immediately

when you glance at a statistic that fails to differentiate between a garbage time TD toss and a game-winning throw, that's two seconds of your life you deserve back

• Options

as for this game, it's just so incredibly painful watching Tampa Bay play. and this is how it has been all season. need i remind everyone that not only are they playing a team in Arizona that is using its 3rd-string QB, but also a team that has lost 11 out of its last 12 games at home (!!!)

and it is tied at half

i just wonder how many sad performances it is going to take for the resident Brady fans to finally admit that he is washed up

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I just don't see Brady closing out his career like this. The idea of Brady going to the Bucs in the first place was out of left field. So there is no way to honestly know for sure what will happen.

No, he’ll close his career like this. When you are washed up and come back foolishly, this is what happens. Then you get a lousy offensive coordinator, and the season is over.

As for “out of left field,” they did win a Super Bowl.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    as for this game, it's just so incredibly painful watching Tampa Bay play. and this is how it has been all season. need i remind everyone that not only are they playing a team in Arizona that is using its 3rd-string QB, but also a team that has lost 11 out of its last 12 games at home (!!!)

and it is tied at half

i just wonder how many sad performances it is going to take for the resident Brady fans to finally admit that he is washed up

I'll admit that he is not looking ... up to snuff.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2022 9:03PM

Off to bed. Brady should retire now and save himself from further embarrassment. A good offense coach might make a difference, but he doesn’t have that. The Bucks are done for 2022.

• Options

Brady is a lot better than Russell Wilson and Tom is 11 years older.

Russell’s QBR today was 3.6
    I figure 3 of that was just for walking on the field.

Wilson washed up at 34? 🛁

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Brady had 281 passing yards and probably 300 yards of YAC. His line isn’t giving him time or he’s tired of being hit. Either way Arizona played 6 players in the box to stop the swings and quick outs. If JJ Watt wasn’t 33 and ran out of gas in the 4th quarter Tampa loses that game but we all knew how it would turn out.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Yes, Russell Wilson is officially washed up, the Rams even based their whole gameplan on it yesterday.

• Options

DoubleD thanks for the morning laugh. 😁

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@2dueces said:

His line isn’t giving him time or he’s tired of being hit.

this had nothing to do with it. he wasn't sacked a single time the entire game.

bottom line is that he's a 45-yr-old man attempting to play quarterback.........nothing less, nothing more. he's thrown multiple INTs in 3 consecutive games for the first time in 20 years. watch his games and he's missing throws that he'd complete in his sleep years ago.

i'm sure there will be those who say "vintage Brady" this morning, but that could not be a more inaccurate assessment of what happened last night. he plays on a bad team, and he's a bad quarterback. the Buccaneers were just very fortunate to be playing a pseudo NFL team last night. as i mentioned up above, Arizona had lost 11 out of 12 at home going into last night, and they rolled out their 3rd stringer against the Bucs. the mere fact that a Brady-led team with all of his available weapons found themselves down 10 in the 4th against a team like that speaks volumes, regardless of the outcome. congratulations, you narrowly dodged an ignominious defeat.

we have been discussing QBR. well, this is why i love that proprietary stat. a 4th Q comeback will not fool QBR, and that's why he put up a paltry 34.4 for the game

• Options

@Darin said:
    DoubleD thanks for the morning laugh. 😁

Glad to help! 🖒

• Options
    edited December 26, 2022 1:50PM

@galaxy27 I admitted that he hasn't looked up to snuff...what else do you want? 😂 You're perhaps laying it on too thick like Collinsworth last night.

You are right that he is missing throws. But your point that he didn't get sacked does not discredit the awful line play that @2dueces pointed out. Brady was the greatest ever at avoiding sacks despite his lack of mobility, so it isn't beyond reason that he can avoid sacks and still be playing behind a terrible line. Their play calling us awful, they can't run the ball, and they are missing key players.

I know he doesn't look great. But I still have faith in him to be able to put a great season together if he decides to keep playing.

But like I said, he doesn't look great. So there's that...

• Options

The Titans firing their GM was the strangest think I’ve seen this season. Tannehill is a game manager if everything is perfect. They were the #1 seed in the AFC last year. They lost to Philly. AJ Brown had a big game but they had a 4 game lead in the division and Jacksonville was no where in site. Really strange.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2022 2:33PM

@thisistheshow i wasn't directing my comments toward you. i'm just candidly relaying what i have witnessed having watched him play a number of times this season. and i'm not going to sit here and mince words, especially when i've been subjected to the incessant praise that has been bestowed on him for years. if he is going to be placed on a pedestal, then it's open season when the time comes to criticize him. and that time is now. he's a shell of himself, and anyone who thinks he has a chance to even come close to reverting back to his glory days at some point in the future is delusional.

he hasn't thrown a touchdown pass to the best wide receiver on the team since week FOUR. allow that one to marinate for a few. let me guess, the O-line's fault? Todd Bowles' fault? Aaron Rodgers' fault? anyone's fault but his, right? he doesn't have it anymore, my friend.

i say the exact same thing to people who think Tiger Woods will win another major...............it's time to step outside for some fresh air

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @thisistheshow i wasn't directing my comments toward you. i'm just candidly relaying what i have witnessed having watched him play a number of times this season. and i'm not going to sit here and mince words, especially when i've been subjected to the incessant praise that has been bestowed on him for years. if he is going to be placed on a pedestal, then it's open season when the time comes to criticize him. and that time is now. he's a shell of himself, and anyone who thinks he has a chance to even come close to reverting back to his glory days at some point in the future is delusional.

i say the exact same thing to people who think Tiger Woods will win another major...............it's time to step outside for some fresh air

I know you weren't directing them at me. I'm just playing around. But see, you admitted that the praise skewed your attitude. Well, you say it caused you not to mince words. But if I had to guess, it did skew your attitude. But that's natural. It's finally open season on Brady, and people are on the hunt I get it. But I give that the truth lies on the middle. Just my opinion.

Here's a comparison that might make sense. Brady, during his time with the Patriots, eventually became like a well-seasoned CEO...but he started in the mailroom. When his time was up there, after helping them achieve unbridled success, he was hired by a company that was only one piece away. He was that piece. They hit the pinnacle. But then the company started falling apart a bit across the lower levels, as long as seeing great change in upper management. Brady is still the CEO, but his experience is no longer enough. The other cogs are damaged. If Brady wants to see the same success, he needs to find another company that is only one piece away. He can no longer will things to happen like he could as a Patriot.

Ok. I'm od'ing on Brady Kool aid.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon Have you seen these yet? They're hilarious and go back to previous seasons too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd55S-QSN3Q

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I say Brady has lost all faith in Mike Evans.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Knowing what i know about Brady, this makes me think that he never really had it in the first place.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Knowing what i know about Brady, this makes me think that he never really had it in the first place.

Possibly but he did have a pretty good season when they win the Super Bowl, since then he has been very inconsistent, he dropped obe of the easiest TD catches early on in the year and since then Brady pretty much avoids him, like the other night when he threw that INT and Evans had his back to him when he underthrew it from a hit, probably not Evans fault but Brady was HEATED

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Possibly but he did have a pretty good season when they win the Super Bowl, since then he has been very inconsistent, he dropped obe of the easiest TD catches early on in the year and since then Brady pretty much avoids him, like the other night when he threw that INT and Evans had his back to him when he underthrew it from a hit, probably not Evans fault but Brady was HEATED

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it din't take much to break that trust. So it wasn't really solidified. I might be wrong, of course. lol

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it din't take much to break that trust. So it wasn't really solidified. I might be wrong, of course. lol

Tough to.earn his trust in the first place so yea your probably right

• Options
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2022 1:00PM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Oh, Brady had confidence in him, but like Brady, Evens has lost a step and now can't get open.

The number of Bucks' departures and retirements is going to make the fans' heads spin at the end of the season.

In the mean time, the Bucks have a big match-up against the "little cats" this weekend. The cats aren't so little any more, and falling behind to them early could be fatal. Carolina is now a well coached team despite the earlier moves which made it look like they were bagging the season.

Maybe the Bucks can find a better coaching staff. They are going to need it for the rebuilding program.

• Options

Have you ever seen such a rapid decline as Mike Evans and Julio Jones at WR?

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Have you ever seen such a rapid decline as Mike Evans and Julio Jones at WR?

Randy Moss.
    2009 in NE 83/1264/13 in 16 games
    2010 in NE/MIN/TEN 28/393/5 in 16 games
    2011 in SF 28/434/3 in 16 games
    2012 out of the league