Home Sports Talk
Options

The official 2022 NFL season thread

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can see why Houston is 1-11-1. Lovey Smith leaves field goals on the field. Smith does not play the percentages. It’s like he wanted Dallas to win.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trend in the NFL to go for it on 4th down needs to be reevaluated by lots of teams. I don't care what the analytics shows the NFL average to be and, hence, whether a team should go for it, there are clearly teams which should risk it and teams who need to try for the FG if they're close enough.

Another two QB's out with concussions and by the looks of things there might be a busy post-season Head Coach hunt going on as several teams, maybe 6-7 have HC's that don't seem to know what they're doing. But who do they hire??? With the way the game is played today, the rules changes that take place each off-season, instant replay and officiating the game is becoming unrecognizable and impossible to judge who will win based on past performance. That is highlighted here by the fact that the guys involved in the "picks" thread seem to be flirting with 50-60%, not very good.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2022 5:20PM

Tampa is off to its usual start. Brady and co. get a long touchdown play called back for holding. It’s tail dragging time again.

Brady is past his prime, but this Bucks offensive coaching team is the pits. They are responsible for this bad season as much as anyone.

Given how bad the NFC South is, Tampa will win it by default, but it will be one and out in the play-offs. If this coaching staff does not get the heave-hoe on Black Monday, the Tampa fans need to start rooting for Cleveland.

But, hey the Eagles took care of the Giants today, which takes them out of the running for the division title.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Tampa is off to its usual start. Brady and co. get a long touchdown play called back for holding. It tail dragging time again.

Brady is past his prime

Yeah, he sure is showing in this game. 35-0 in the 3rd, Jeez! But of course the Tampa defense is non existent today also.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns down two scores get the ball with about five minutes to go. For a quick second I was sure they would do it, Then I remembered Baker Mayfield is in L.A.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

You see, isn't this nice, everything in life is so much nicer when the Dallas Cowboys are winning football games, the coffee tastes better, the grass is greener, the sky is bluer, the eggs, everything is bigger in Texas.

• Options
    edited December 11, 2022 7:49PM

Ok, who's the smart aleck that created this meme, because it isn't funny!

• Options

Life sucks when the Cowboys win. When you can barely beat Houston with the Houston coaching staff helping you, a championship is not in your future.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@BillJones said:
    Tampa is off to its usual start. Brady and co. get a long touchdown play called back for holding. It tail dragging time again.

Brady is past his prime

Yeah, he sure is showing in this game. 35-0 in the 3rd, Jeez! But of course the Tampa defense is non existent today also.

The defense is off to a bad start when the offense is three and out, or two and out after the first series. The Tampa offense could not be successful in junior high school football.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

The going for it on 4th incessantly started mostly with Belichick, it's caught on with way too.msmy other teams and is foolish most of the time

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tua facing pressure two weeks in a row has showed his not the most accurate QB Tyrek Hill has ever seen. An fluky fumble recovery and a TD where the defender fell down was all Miami could muster. Tua’s arm strength was evident last night. If the timing of his passes in the middle are disrupted he’s as lost as ever.

@doubledragon Carolina controls their own destiny to win the NFC South. Did you ever think you’d say that after week 14?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2022 7:02AM

Carolina is in the worst division in the league. The lucky team that gets matched up with that team in the play-offs will think they are back playing in junior college. It will be one and done for the NFC South "champion."

The Bucks are pathetic.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Carolina is in the worst division in the league. The lucky team that gets matched up with that team in the play-offs will think they are back playing in junior college. It will be one and done for the NFC South "champion."

The Bucks are pathetic.

There’s always one division. AFC South has been. NFC East has been notoriously bad besides the Cowboys. This year it’s the NFC South

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mahomes was pathetic yesterday, this is the most I’ve been disappointed in the Chiefs in a long time. No killer instinct, the QB playing like a brain dead idiot, they’ll
    Be one and done in the playoffs.
    Leave it to mahomes to throw into very tight coverage with a 27-0 lead and also with a 27-7 and 27-14 lead.
    Commercial boy better start concentrating on football instead of his endorsement deals. And leave it to the chiefs defense to make Wilson look great again.
    Well we suck hope you guys favorite teams aren’t as lousy as mine.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@Darin said:

>

Leave it to mahomes to throw into very tight coverage with a 27-0

If Coach Reid would quit drawing mustaches on him might help - :D
    (Great commercial by the way!)

• Options

@Darin said:
    Mahomes was pathetic yesterday, this is the most I’ve been disappointed in the Chiefs in a long time. No killer instinct, the QB playing like a brain dead idiot, they’ll
    Leave it to mahomes to throw into very tight coverage with a 27-0 lead and also with a 27-7 and 27-14 lead.
    Commercial boy better start concentrating on football instead of his endorsement deals. And leave it to the chiefs defense to make Wilson look great again.

They got lazy cruising through what was a potential easy beat down.

That's the NFL for you though, Chiefs betters were counting the money and in classic fashion stuff that shouldn't happen just happens.

They won and that's all they needed to do and they all knew it.

The Chiefs will be fine, I'm not even a fan really but I sure do like Mahomes, he will be fine.

• Options

@Darin said:

They just played down to the competition. Sometimes you can’t turn it back on. Hence the playoff game vs Cincinnati. That 3 points before half would have deflated Cincinnati, instead gave them a spark. Kansas City will be just fine. A W is a W and in the NFL every one of them is hard to get.
    Example Dallas vs Houston. That was Houston’s super bowl and Dallas thought they could just show up. If it wasn’t for piss poor coaching at the end Houston wins that game. But that’s one of the reasons they are 1-10. But O’BRIEN is the main reason that team was dismantled

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Perk and deuces,
    If mahomes hasn’t learned by now that he doesn’t have to force passes into tight coverage with a huge lead then he’ll never learn. And speaking to the media after the game it’s always the same “eliminating the poor decisions is something I have to work on” etc.
    That game should have been 42-0 after 3 quarters but mahomes let Denver back into it all by himself.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing down to your competition, the famous old adage. It doesn't always mean that a team won't advance far, or even win the SB. But it is very problematic. Eventually a team has to win a game (as in playoffs) that they are overwhelmingly expected to win.

• Options

@2dueces said: Example Dallas vs Houston. That was Houston’s super bowl and Dallas thought they could just show up.

Houston right now isn't a very good team but they are a very dangerous team. The Chiefs, Titans, Jaguars and Colts all better be careful. One of the worst games in the NFL is playing a one win/no win team at the end of the season, a "trap" game waiting to happen. All it takes is 1-2 stupid mistakes by the better team and funny things start to happen.

• Options

Not that it matters this year but Kyler Murray is done for the year.

"Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray will miss the remainder of the 2022 NFL season due to a torn ACL"

• Options

Will Atlanta or Carolina win the division over TOMPA?

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Not that it matters this year but Kyler Murray is done for the year.

"Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray will miss the remainder of the 2022 NFL season due to a torn ACL"

GOOD ! The little scampering rat is gone. Maybe they will trade him to a college team now.

..signed.. Phoenix born Cardinals hater.

• Options

@Ridethelightning said:
    GOOD ! The little scampering rat is gone. Maybe they will trade him to a college team now.

Maybe next year the NFL will let him put lifts in his cleats.

• Options

Tough week for QB's with three concussions and one torn ACL.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Tua facing pressure two weeks in a row has showed his not the most accurate QB Tyrek Hill has ever seen. An fluky fumble recovery and a TD where the defender fell down was all Miami could muster. Tua’s arm strength was evident last night. If the timing of his passes in the middle are disrupted he’s as lost as ever.

@doubledragon Carolina controls their own destiny to win the NFC South. Did you ever think you’d say that after week 14?

I can't believe we're still in the mix, but I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm sure we'll find a way to screw it up.

• Options

Because I'm going through Aaron Rodgers meme withdrawal symptoms.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

I can't believe we're still in the mix, but I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm sure we'll find a way to screw it up.

You’re not just “in the mix”. Carolina controls its own destiny. That’s more than on the mix. Sam Darnold steps up and makes the playoffs and my Darnold rookie cards sky rocket.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

You’re not just “in the mix”. Carolina controls its own destiny. That’s more than on the mix. Sam Darnold steps up and makes the playoffs and my Darnold rookie cards sky rocket.

What about Atlanta? Can they slide in if they win out and Tampa And Carolina lose a game? Or are division records in play here?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

What about Atlanta? Can they slide in if they win out and Tampa And Carolina lose a game? Or are division records in play here?

Yes. But they don’t control their own destiny. If Carolina wins out they are NFC South champions

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

I'm taking it one game at a time, we got the Steelers up next at home, a very winnable game, and I like Sam Darnold and want to see him make the most of this opportunity. We have to go out there and prove we want this, we got a second chance and we need to make the most of it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I have to admit though, after the way the season started, it is exciting to be in this position, to have hope again!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

Mariota acts like a b&tch after getting benched is taking his ball and going home. He won’t be back in Atlanta next year and I seriously doubt he will ever get another starting quarterback job in the NFL.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ex-Jet QB's, Geno,Sam, are enjoying a bit of a renaissance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Ex-Jet QB's, Geno,Sam, are enjoying a bit of a renaissance.

Add ex Ram QB Jarod Goff. Just because the offensive guru didn’t like him people thought he was trash. He has a few short comings but the Lions are laying 30+ on every one

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Despite the Panthers controlling their playoff berth destiny, I would be utterly shocked if it isn't the Bucs representing the NFC South. I'm not saying the Bucs will 100% be playoff bound and in it, but I would not count out Brady until he is retired for real. Anyone remember 2014? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2215366-embarrassing-mnf-blowout-loss-to-chiefs-sounds-death-knell-for-patriots-dynasty

• Options
    edited December 15, 2022 5:40AM

@thisistheshow said:
    Despite the Panthers controlling their playoff berth destiny, I would be utterly shocked if it isn't the Bucs representing the NFC South. I'm not saying the Bucs will 100% be playoff bound and in it, but I would not count out Brady until he is retired for real. Anyone remember 2014? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2215366-embarrassing-mnf-blowout-loss-to-chiefs-sounds-death-knell-for-patriots-dynasty

The best part of that was the after game press contest and Bills expression when dome idiot reporter asked "Does the QB position need to be evaluated?" LOL

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2014/09/30/bill_belichick_mocks_the_idea_of_a_quarterback_con/

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

I remember. I remember Brady at 37, not 45 and BB not this current coaching staff

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

I remember. I remember Brady at 37, not 45 and BB not this current coaching staff

Yes, this is not apples to apples. But I still feel it is relevant. Time will tell

• Options

What the hell is going on - Indy over Minnesota 17-0 in the FIRST quarter.............????????

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Vikings may be the most fraudulent 10-win team in the history of football

• Options
    edited December 17, 2022 12:25PM

23-0 30 - 0 - 2nd Q

• Options

• Options

Viking either win by 3 or get blown out.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Have you ever seen a bigger bunch of quitters than the Indianapolis Colts? Yea, Atlanta, in the Super Bowel against the Patriots. And Matt Ryan was the losing quarterback in both.

• Options

The Colts - Vikings overtime game will be over quickly. The Vikings won the toss, and the Indianapolis arm tacklers will quickly let them match down the field. Would anyone like to wager how many offensive plays will be needed? I’d say under five.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    the Vikings may be the most fraudulent 10-win team in the history of football

11 win team.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Viking either win by 3 or get blown out.

Good call on the 3 point win.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

And that's why I gave up picking or betting on the Colts - :D:D:D

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    And that's why I gave up picking or betting on the Colts - :D:D:D

Line was +3.5. You still would have won. 😂

W.C.Fields