Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

§-§-§ 2020 Mayflower 400th Ann. US-Great Britain Gold (20XC) & Silver (20XD) Sets 11/17/20 9 AM ET

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 11:36AM

My gold Mayflower set from the UK Royal Mint was just "despatched" from Cardiff to the Royal Mail office in Heathrow. They ship very fast, too.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    The RP is very nice with the ocean contrast and the ships. Edited to say I ordered this yesterday and received it this morning. That is some seriously good shipping and handling. One of the few times overnight was actually overnight. A big :) for the Mint handlers in Memphis for this one.

Man that looks so much nicer in person in it did on the website if I knew it looked at nice I would have bought on

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

This was celebration of an event that is of national significance. With the study of history going to down the drain, it would have been nice if more collectors could have been involved, but the mint was interested in issuing another "modern rarity." I am really tired of this game.

I’m sure the mint thought 5,000 would be enough. But these are unprecedented times for the mint it seems with sellouts. Also most kids learn of this event in 3rd grade, doubt many 3rd graders would spend $1,500 to learn about it when most people just check out Wikipedia now if they are interested in something.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@Goldminers said:
    The RP is very nice with the ocean contrast and the ships. Edited to say I ordered this yesterday and received it this morning. That is some seriously good shipping and handling. One of the few times overnight was actually overnight. A big :) for the Mint handlers in Memphis for this one.

Man that looks so much nicer in person in it did on the website if I knew it looked at nice I would have bought on

They are so much more impressive in a photograph than the "images" on the Mint site.
    Why doesn't the Mint hire a photographer?
    I bet it would improve sales.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rip_f said:

@Raufus said:

@Goldminers said:

They are so much more impressive in a photograph than the "images" on the Mint site.

The Mint posts the artwork before the coins are struck

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@rip_f said:

@Raufus said:

@Goldminers said:

The Mint posts the artwork before the coins are struck

Yes, and a picture is worth 1,000 words.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 3:27PM

I’m sure the mint thought 5,000 would be enough.

No, the mint people knew that 5,000 would not be enough from the go-get. That is the mintage for "rarities" like the Jackie Robinson $5 gold coin in Uncirculated.

The game was exactly as they played it. It was another set for flippers to make money. That seems to be the game these days. To hell with collectors; take care of the flippers.

This one more reason why collecting U.S. coins has much of its luster for me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2020 3:55PM

As far as that 2020 gold Mayflower reverse proof, when I opened it up, my better half looked over and said, "That is really nice, I especially like the ocean waves and how the sun and ship stand out ." Edited to say the coin in hand is better looking than my 2 second, shaky phone picture above.

I can say for sure that was a major first, as usually my coin purchases get no respect, at all.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Look how long it took them to sell a lousy 20,000 silver medals.

still on sale!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

still on sale!

Exactly!

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

still on sale!

Medals are not coins. There is huge difference in collector demand.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2020 6:00PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

No, the mint people knew that 5,000 would not be enough from the go-get. That is the mintage for "rarities" like the Jackie Robinson $5 gold coin in Uncirculated.

The game was exactly as they played it. It was another set for flippers to make money. That seems to be the game these days. To hell with collectors; take care of the flippers.

I half agree. They could have minted 5,000 but authorized 10,000 or something. But, in general, there is fairly tepid demand for these oddball gold issues. 10,000 is usually enough. 5,000 gold commems is not like issuing 5,000 AGEs.

If you look at the 2019 issues, for example, they are still selling the 2019 Liberty medal and have only sold 10,295 after a year. They've only sold 5800 2019 1 oz Gold proof eagles, and that is part of a series! [Although they also sold 7600 4 coin proof sets.]

How can you "half agree?" We all pay taxes that fund the mint, and yet it spends much of its time making coins for flippers, not collectors. Ten thousand might have satisfied demand long enough to satisfy collector demand in a couple of days with a sell out. But, oh no. The whole thing got sold in ten minutes. The mint treats collectors like garbage. Flippers mean far more to that government agency.

It is disgusting and wrong. I'll bet that the mint would have more sales if it cared about its loyal customers, it doesn't.

A mintage of 1,945 was totally ridiculous for a U.S. coin with a population of millions of people. It was a rip-off from the beginning. The mint of 5,000 makes two collector rip-offs in a raw. It's another thumb to the eye for collectors.

• Options

it would have sold out in seconds with a functioning web site.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2020 5:54PM

@BillJones said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

I half agree. They could have minted 5,000 but authorized 10,000 or something. But, in general, there is fairly tepid demand for these oddball gold issues. 10,000 is usually enough. 5,000 gold commems is not like issuing 5,000 AGEs.

If you look at the 2019 issues, for example, they are still selling the 2019 Liberty medal and have only sold 10,295 after a year. They've only sold 5800 2019 1 oz Gold proof eagles, and that is part of a series! [Although they also sold 7600 4 coin proof sets.]

How can you "half agree?" We all pay taxes that fund the mint, and yet it spends much of its time making coins for flippers, not collectors. Ten thousand might have satisfied demand long enough to satisfy collector demand in a couple of days with a sell out. But, oh no. The whole thing got sold in ten minutes. The mint treats collectors like garbage. Flippers mean far more to that government agency.

I agree that they could have minted a few more. But 5000 isn't a ridiculously short run for what it is, unlike the 1945 mintage of the gold eagle. There is not going to be a lot of flipping of these. They cost $1500 and are selling on eBay for $1700 - that's a $30 profit on a $1500 investment.

• Options

I calculate a loss at $1700 without a store. (?) can you show me the math?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

I agree that they could have minted a few more. But 5000 isn't a ridiculously short run for what it is, unlike the 1945 mintage of the gold eagle. There is not going to be a lot of flipping of these. They cost $1500 and are selling on eBay for $1700 - that's a $30 profit on a $1500 investment.

Do why did they bother? Are they that hard up for $30?

It’s for those who want to sell the certified PR-70 coins.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BillJones said:

Do why did they bother? Are they that hard up for $30?

It’s for those who want to sell the certified PR-70 coins.

I think they better hurry up on the 70s. Unless they are scarce relative to 69s, I don't think the premium will last.

I think people bought them thinking they would be huge. 5000 is short for a coin but not a medal or a medal-like commemorative. They may also make a couple percent by buying with a cash back credit card which is another $30 to $50. Disclaimer: I bought a couple that I'll be selling trying to make $50 to $100.

Have I mentioned that coin margins suck? LOL

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

With a store and top-rated seller discount and priority insured shipping, my net is $1540.

You're right. If you don't have a store and are paying 10% + 3% PayPal, you're screwed. Your net after insured shipping is about $1470 - although if you have a cashback credit card, you might break even.

Honestly, it would be stupid to sell a $1700 coin without a store. The discount on closing fees for that single coin are more than the cost of the store. Even if you don't normally have one, you should sign up for one just to sell that coin.

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 6:38PM

@BillJones said:

It is disgusting and wrong. I'll bet that the mint would have more sales if it cared about its loyal customers, it doesn't.

A mintage of 1,945 was totally ridiculous for a U.S. coin with a population of millions of people. It was a rip-off from the beginning. The mint of 5,000 makes two collector rip-offs in a raw. It's another thumb to the eye for collectors.

Flippers buy the items just like all other customers, and a lot of people here got in on both of the high demand issues these last two weeks. If the mint made everything to demand the modern mint would go the way of the stamp program. How is the mint profiting off flippers when they took a hit by only selling 5,000 or 1,945 of an item when they could have easily sold 7,500+ of? I think this mint director enjoys these rarities, and I do too. You don’t speak for all mint customers. Or tax payers, which not sure why that has anything to do with this.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

With a store and top-rated seller discount and priority insured shipping, my net is $1540.

You're right. If you don't have a store and are paying 10% + 3% PayPal, you're screwed. Your net after insured shipping is about $1470 - although if you have a cashback credit card, you might break even.

Honestly, it would be stupid to sell a $1700 coin without a store. The discount on closing fees for that single coin are more than the cost of the store. Even if you don't normally have one, you should sign up for one just to sell that coin.

Incredibly, look how many flippers are selling the V75 AGE w/o a store!

• Options

What time did these pop back up today? 08:00 EST? Thanks

• Options

@Raufus said:
    What time did these pop back up today? 08:00 EST? Thanks

7:45

• Options

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Incredibly, look how many flippers are selling the V75 AGE w/o a store!

It's insane. But people don't necessarily know or do the math.

I have a friend who does a couple hundred thousand per year selling collectible on eBay. A few years back, I was talking to him about the store fees. Turned out he didn't have a store. When I pointed out that the final value fee differences were several percent, he signed up immediately.

• Options

From the Royal Mint Website:

"Chris Costello has cleverly incorporated multiple stylistic elements into the coins' designs that help tie them together. For example, the same font is used on both the U.S. and UK coins: compare the word ‘Mayflower’ on the UK coin and the word ‘Plymouth’ on the U.S. coins, as well as the dates 1620 and 2020. Additionally, the presence of the North Star in the UK coin's design connects to the image of the sun in the U.S. design, helping to symbolise a new day. That symbolism is also a reference to the Wampanoag Nation, the indigenous people who befriended the Pilgrims and helped them survive."

Seem's strange this description wasn't included in the US Mint description. It adds much more character and value to the coin set.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

still no addtl silver sets coming available ....

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 5:52AM

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    still no addtl silver sets coming available ....

But a whole lot of gold... LOL

• Options

Incredible that no silver sets have become available while both golds have.

• Options

@Raufus said:

I think you have a lot of cancellations on the gold when the price failed to pop. Silver is actually flippable with prices at $200+, so no need to cancel.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

I think you have a lot of cancellations on the gold when the price failed to pop. Silver is actually flippable with prices at $200+, so no need to cancel.

Even if no returns I'd think would be some due to credit cards, etc resulting in canceled orders.

• Options

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

Even if no returns I'd think would be some due to credit cards, etc resulting in canceled orders.

There's usually a few, but they don't have to extend past the day after the sale.

I don't know. There was a time when they wouldn't dribble out the coins daily. You'd have a few bigger drops once they had an accumulation of cancellations/returns.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

There's usually a few, but they don't have to extend past the day after the sale.

I don't know. There was a time when they wouldn't dribble out the coins daily. You'd have a few bigger drops once they had an accumulation of cancellations/returns.

Did the silver ever become available again?

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

uk silver sets still avail on royalmint, so frustrating the us silver coin/medal set is so difficult to acquire at issue price --- kicking myself for forgetting time offset at 9a launch -_-

• Options

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:

Did the silver ever become available again?

I'd have to check the dates on my orders. I thought I got one the day after, but I might be misremembering.

Between the WWII coins and the 4 Mayflower coins, I've been trying to monitor too many things in the morning. LOL

The poor RP medal has been available the whole time. While I know it's a medal and medals are always tough, I would have thought 20,000 was about the right number to sell out.

• Options

I know people have been complaining about mintages and sellouts etc. But I kind of felt these were mostly the right numbers before the release, and I still kind of feel that way.

The basketball gold coin has sold 7,500 proofs and 5,000 uncs. So, I would think that 5,000 on the gold Mayflower coins is about the right number.

The silver 2 coin set might be a little scarce at 14,200 (9200 US). But 20,000 on the RP medal seems about right (still not sold out, by the way).

So, I think they got 3 out of 4 right. I mean, if you are the Mint, you want mintages were the coins sell out, but just barely. If they are too scarce, people won't chase them. If they are too common, they don't hold their value and people wait for the price to drop to pick them up.

• Options

The 2 gold issues were up for quite a while today. Now they are all unavailable again. I wonder how long this will go on.

• Options

@Raufus said:
    The 2 gold issues were up for quite a while today. Now they are all unavailable again. I wonder how long this will go on.

There were over 100 of each when they first went up.

• Options

The RP silver went to "Backorder". LOL. I think that means they sold more than the Mint thought they would.

• Options

Not sure why people are knocking the value of the gold coin set. They're selling for 1K over premium on eBay.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 5:34PM

@goldenboy101 said:
    Not sure why people are knocking the value of the gold coin set. They're selling for 1K over premium on eBay.

Those aren't the prices I see. A 2 coin gold set just sold for $1650. That's $150 over the Mint price, which should just about cover the eBay fees.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400th-Anniversary-of-the-Mayflower-Voyage-Two-Coin-Gold-Proof-Set-20XA-CONFIRMED/224238109963?hash=item3435a2050b:g:QUUAAOSwTnpfs~DI

• Options

Several have sold in the past day ranging from 1900-2500$ on eBay.

• Options

@goldenboy101 said:

Most have sold at $1700 to $1900. The only one that was at $2500 had "Best Offer Accepted".

This set isn't really flippable at those prices.

The last 10 sales I see are:

$1650 (today 15:28)
    $1675 (today 11:44)
    $2990 (today 11:35) but includes the RP gold coin also
    $1750 Best offer accepted (today 09:44)
    $2550 Best offer accepted (today 08:36)
    $1989 (today 06:52)
    $1799 (today 06:46)
    $1750 Best offer accepted (today 05:25)
    $1800 Best Offer accepted (today 03:44)
    $1749 (today 00:10)

Any remotely objective evaluation puts the set value at $1700 against a $1500 purchase price.

[Disclaimer: I bought one and two of the UK sets for $1710 each. But I'm a realist.]

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@goldenboy101 said:

Most have sold at $1700 to $1900. The only one that was at $2500 had "Best Offer Accepted".

Any remotely objective evaluation puts the set value at $1700 against a $1500 purchase price.

[Disclaimer: I bought one and two of the UK sets for $1710 each. But I'm a realist.]

I got mine for less than $1,500 on the us mint website. Why didn't you purchase from there?

• Options
    edited November 19, 2020 6:06PM

@goldenboy101 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@goldenboy101 said:

I got mine for less than $1,500 on the us mint website. Why didn't you purchase from there?

$1500 was the price on the US Mint website when released. They repriced them at $1475 on Wednesday.

The UK sets were always $1700 at the Royal Mint and could not be purchased more cheaply.

Not to mention, if you paid $1475, $1700 on eBay is still not a flippable retail price. Dealers are probably already offering less than $1475 to purchase.

The reason most of us are "down" on these sets is that if they are at $1700 upon release, they will likely be $100 over melt by next year.

• Options

Maybe it will be a minor increment over melt three or four years from now.

• Options

The collaboration with the royal mint and low mintage is not significant then huh

• Options

I may send the gold set back. Have to c it.

I think the RP gold looks awesome. Will keep it just for that reason.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen. This set might be the "sleeper" set for 2020. Low mintage & quick sell-out, somewhat inexpensive compared to the gold with little or no marketing. The "big boys" may have been left at the "train station" for this one.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2020 7:59PM

@goldenboy101 said:
    The collaboration with the royal mint and low mintage is not significant then huh

The mintage really isn't that low. Gold commems often don't sell more than 10,000. Look at the Basketball commem from earlier this year.

The UK set might have some value if there are people who want to collect both. This happened with the Pride of Two Nations set, but the UK set has one-tenth the supply. And, it really is just one set of coins.

Welcome to the world of modern Mint issues.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file