Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

§-§-§ 2020 Mayflower 400th Ann. US-Great Britain Gold (20XC) & Silver (20XD) Sets 11/17/20 9 AM ET

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a pending charge on my CC for the gold and silver sets which I ordered on 11/17 and for which I received an order confirmation email but when I go to my CC now, the pending charge is gone. I still see the order listed in my Mint account, though. Has anyone experienced this? I have not gotten any emails or notifications from the Mint since I got the email confirmation.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    I had a pending charge on my CC for the gold and silver sets which I ordered on 11/17 and for which I received an order confirmation email but when I go to my CC now, the pending charge is gone. I still see the order listed in my Mint account, though. Has anyone experienced this? I have not gotten any emails or notifications from the Mint since I got the email confirmation.

I just checked, same for me, the CC charge has disappeared and I’ve received nothing mint-wise since the confirmation email. Strange...

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

@trbyrne said:
    Here's what the UK sets look like. They came by DHL even before the US RP I ordered from the US mint the day it was available.

are the sets individually numbered like the usa sets?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of Nov. 22
    Silver set 8,727 (473 left)
    Gold set 4,844 (6 left)
    Gold RP 4,991 (9 left)
    Silver RP 16,278 (3,722 left)

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    As of Nov. 22
    Gold set 4,844 (6 left)
    Gold RP 4,991 (9 left)

The silver RP just may sell out yet! I think that's a strong number for a medal.

Nice to see the gold nearing sell-out.

Interesting that the silver set has so many left as it NEVER comes available in the morning. Still hope @ECHOES

• Options

I know trashing the Mint is a popular hobby. I would say, however, that they pretty much got this 4 coin series right on all accounts.

The coins are quite attractive with nice designs. And the mintages appear to be spot on so that there wasn't a huge excess demand but is small enough that the coins might hold some value.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Kliao said:
    As of Nov. 22
    Gold set 4,844 (6 left)
    Gold RP 4,991 (9 left)

The silver RP just may sell out yet! I think that's a strong number for a medal.

Nice to see the gold nearing sell-out.

Interesting that the silver set has so many left as it NEVER comes available in the morning. Still hope @ECHOES

:#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 8:47AM

Does the Royal Mint releases their own version of the Sales figure?

I would be surprised to say if 500 gold sets, for example, didnt encountered any CC or delivery issues.

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    Does the Royal Mint releases their own version of the Sales figure?

I would be surprised to say if 500 gold sets, for example, didnt encountered any CC or delivery issues.

There web site only has final figures through 2017. LOL

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm out of town. When I get home the 2 coin gold set awaits. The RP gold is on the way.

I'm keeping the RP as I just love how it looks and I like the subject.

I'm planning to send the gold set back. Is there any reason that any of u can see the gold set being worth much over melt in the future?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2020 10:10AM

I think the 2 coin's problem is the price, not the coins.

If you are afraid of melt, I'd say all 3 gold are going to melt or none are going to melt.

the gold kennedy was a disaster to flip, but you can't buy them for melt.

these 2 coin sets are not flippable but that is all.

you may try to BST them at cost. There may be someone here who missed out. (also, returns now count against you at the mint.)

Oh, and if you have to open the shipping box to get at the 2 coin set, post the COA number you received.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@RedStorm said:

@grote15 said:

I just checked, same for me, the CC charge has disappeared and I’ve received nothing mint-wise since the confirmation email. Strange...

I'm wondering if this happened because it has been 1 week since the charge was first pending and will be charged again once the sets are shipped.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2020 11:10AM

Mint ze-mails zemails

@grote15 said:

I'm wondering if this happened because it has been 1 week since the charge was first pending and will be charged again once the sets are shipped.

i was wondering the same thing. you can call the CC company to see what their policy is.

1st you get an email with this subject line: "We've received your U.S. Mint order"

2nd, you get Another E-Mail with the subject: "Your U.S. Mint order has been confirmed!"

after that it is a waiting game.

if there is an order number, I suggest calling to ask if the order is in process.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@RedStorm said:

@grote15 said:

All merchants will place a tentative debit on the c c used to make sure the charge will be accepted. That temp. or tentative hold normally will drop off after 3 days. US Mint will not charge the cc until the item is mailed.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@grote15 said:

@RedStorm said:

@grote15 said:

All merchants will place a tentative debit on the c c used to make sure the charge will be accepted. That temp. or tentative hold normally will drop off after 3 days. US Mint will not charge the cc until the item is mailed.

This,
    Has happened always with my orders...

• Options

Going out on a limb here,
    The Silver Reverse Proof I received has more of a Matte finish than a 'Proof'

• Options

Thanks, guys, for all the info!

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    I think the 2 coin's problem is the price, not the coins.

If you are afraid of melt, I'd say all 3 gold are going to melt or none are going to melt.

the gold kennedy was a disaster to flip, but you can't buy them for melt.

these 2 coin sets are not flippable but that is all.

you may try to BST them at cost. There may be someone here who missed out. (also, returns now count against you at the mint.)

Oh, and if you have to open the shipping box to get at the 2 coin set, post the COA number you received.

Thanks!

What is the return penalty?

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

No penalty. Shipping is on you, and you have 7 days to return.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2020 12:44PM

one order here and they won't get you, but if you are buying to sell then returning several cold items then that's a different story. I've never heard of a true penalty imposed yet.

their policy on excessive returns:

https://catalog.usmint.gov/faqs/shipping-and-returns/

The United States Mint reserves the right to limit or refuse a return or to charge a fee for excessive returns. In addition, the Mint reserves the right to suspend accounts of customers with a pattern of excessive returns.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    one order here and they won't get you, but if you are buying to sell then returning several cold items then that's a different story. I've never heard of a true penalty imposed yet.

their policy on excessive returns:

https://catalog.usmint.gov/faqs/shipping-and-returns/

The United States Mint reserves the right to limit or refuse a return or to charge a fee for excessive returns. In addition, the Mint reserves the right to suspend accounts of customers with a pattern of excessive returns.

Thanks!!!

I've bought many items w my last return being years ago.

• Options

@Halfpence said:
    No penalty. Shipping is on you, and you have 7 days to return.

Thanks! I hear it takes weeks to months to get refunded.

• Options

I sent a return once, and it didn’t take long for the refund.

Just don’t neglect to send it registered mail. It’s the only service that insures bullion.

• Options

my latest return
    received by them - 10/23
    processed email received - 11/16

• Options

@ECHOES said:

Oh, no! Not another "light finish" like the Kennedy a few years back. Could be a rare error!

• Options

@Halfpence said:
    I sent a return once, and it didn’t take long for the refund.

Just don’t neglect to send it registered mail. It’s the only service that insures bullion.

I only sent in a return once. It took me 2-1/2 months to finally get paid. FWIW.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ECHOES said:

Oh, no! Not another "light finish" like the Kennedy a few years back. Could be a rare error!

We shall see...
    The 'mirrored' surfaces, if I am saying this correctly, have a Matte finish.

• Options

pics!

• Options
    edited November 24, 2020 1:59PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    pics!

Have only iphone 11, will try...

• Options
    edited November 24, 2020 4:23PM

it's easy to see on the hat and the woman's forehead.

perhaps you do have an error coin.

time and other pictures of other coins will tell.

• Options

Although it's on a b.o. status (date unk.) I decided to add the rev. silver proof to my collection. B)

• Options

@ECHOES said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    pics!

Have only iphone 11, will try...

Interesting. In the photo it is reminiscent of the "light finish" Kennedy.

• Options

I hope others who purchased this issue will chime in.

• Options

Funny eBay story:

I've got a Gold RP coin listed for $825 on eBay. I get a message asking how I can afford to sell it so cheaply and asking if I'm losing money. I responded that, no, at that number I was making $40.

I get a follow-up message saying that I'm the lowest price on eBay. He doesn't understand why I would list a coin "with only 7,500 made" so cheaply and wasn't I hurting the market for the coin.

My response was: The market is bigger than me. If I'm too cheap, it'll sell quickly. If I'm too expensive, it won't sell at all. Ask yourself: If my price is too cheap, why hasn't the coin sold yet?

LOL.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 4:49PM

@ECHOES said:

looked at mine the other day - here are the [bad] shots I took

I didn't notice matte in the proof areas, but ill pop it open and look again

edit to say, opened back up and maybe [?] I can see that the proof areas certainly aren't mirror-finished and appear to ha e a 'softer' proof finish, but in relatively new at this and not sure my bad photos are helping 😅

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@ECHOES said:

I didn't notice matte in the proof areas, but ill pop it open and look again

edit to say, opened back up and maybe [?] I can see that the proof areas certainly aren't mirror-finished and appear to ha e a 'softer' proof finish, but in relatively new at this and not sure my bad photos are helping 😅

• Options
    edited November 24, 2020 5:04PM

the shiny proof areas should be like mirrors on modern issues. no satin or soft light reflection at all. the mirror glare should be unmistakable in hand.

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@ECHOES said:

I would expect a proof to appear as @ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ example at top,
    My example is not as 'bright' but matte in comparison.

• Options

Sending back tomorrow.

Heard w COVID refunds taking forever. Seems variable based on info above. Thanks for the info.

• Options

• Options

spectacular.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

ats a pretty coin

• Options

and that's the proper shine of a mirrored modern proof.

• Options

I think we're about to see a LOT of returns on these. I was just looking at eBay and there are a bunch of listings "ended" by the seller.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I think we're about to see a LOT of returns on these. I was just looking at eBay and there are a bunch of listings "ended" by the seller.

The gold or silver one?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 12:22PM

As a long term collector, I am disappointed that so many of the modern gold and silver coins like these, get bought and almost immediately returned, if the buyers don't think they will make big money on eBay in a week.

The 2020 AGE (non-privy) is another example. Hundreds listed on eBay by non collectors. It should never have sold out at the 7,000 mintage for around $600 above spot to begin with. I used to get 70's from dealers at a fair price for both of us, but now even dealers have to pay "bot" purchasers big bucks just to get enough to send in a batch.

• Options

No doubt that returns are dominating this product. I was tempted to buy the gold two-coin set because I liked the Great Britain design, but the premium was just too exorbitant. I settled for the two coin silver set, which is still "processing".

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two coin silver is also still processing in Memphis, along with the RP silver. I think my gold set from the UK arrives today. Overpaid, but the UK needs the money, too. After all the Pilgrims and everything, they still didn't get to keep our country.

• Options

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The gold or silver one?

gold

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    As a long term collector, I am disappointed that so many of the modern gold and silver coins like these, get bought and almost immediately returned, if the buyers don't think they will make big money on eBay in a week.

The 2020 AGE (non-privy) is another example. Hundreds listed on eBay by non collectors. It should never have sold out at the 7,000 mintage for around $600 above spot to begin with. I used to get 70's from dealers at a fair price for both of us, but now even dealers have to pay "bot" purchasers big bucks just to get enough to send in a batch.

The MInt could stop it instantly if they changed their return policy to either: 1) Exchange for same product or 2) Return with 20% restocking fee.

I flip. But if I buy something that languishes, I take my loss and move on. So far, I've never really lost any money because I'm pretty careful. But I've sold a few things at net cost.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file