Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

§-§-§ 2020 Mayflower 400th Ann. US-Great Britain Gold (20XC) & Silver (20XD) Sets 11/17/20 9 AM ET

Comments

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@goldenboy101 said:
    The collaboration with the royal mint and low mintage is not significant then huh

The mintage really isn't that low. Gold commems often don't sell more than 10,000. Look at the Basketball commem from earlier this year.

The UK set might have some value if there are people who want to collect both. This happened with the Pride of Two Nations set, but the UK set has one-tenth the supply. And, it really is just one set of coins.

Welcome to the world of modern Mint issues.

Sure but who cares about basketball?

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

was gonna say, I had abt as much interest in the basketball commem as I have for monnaie de paris' smurf coins 🥱

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@goldenboy101 said:
    From the Royal Mint Website:

"Chris Costello has cleverly incorporated multiple stylistic elements into the coins' designs that help tie them together. For example, the same font is used on both the U.S. and UK coins: compare the word ‘Mayflower’ on the UK coin and the word ‘Plymouth’ on the U.S. coins, as well as the dates 1620 and 2020. Additionally, the presence of the North Star in the UK coin's design connects to the image of the sun in the U.S. design, helping to symbolise a new day. That symbolism is also a reference to the Wampanoag Nation, the indigenous people who befriended the Pilgrims and helped them survive."

Seem's strange this description wasn't included in the US Mint description. It adds much more character and value to the coin set.

Agree, on the gold set, what a great story these four sides tell on these two coins: from leaving the monarchy (the form of government all across Europe at the time), the harrowing voyage across the sea, arrival at a New World with new peoples and new foods, and finally the first steps toward building a nation. Impressive storytelling in these four sides and nice designs too boot! Regardless of the ‘flipper’ value, this seems a set destined to be treasured for true coin collectors.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goldenboy101 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@goldenboy101 said:
    The collaboration with the royal mint and low mintage is not significant then huh

The mintage really isn't that low. Gold commems often don't sell more than 10,000. Look at the Basketball commem from earlier this year.

The UK set might have some value if there are people who want to collect both. This happened with the Pride of Two Nations set, but the UK set has one-tenth the supply. And, it really is just one set of coins.

Welcome to the world of modern Mint issues.

Sure but who cares about basketball?

Globally, a LOT more people care about basketball than the Mayflower.

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    was gonna say, I had abt as much interest in the basketball commem as I have for monnaie de paris' smurf coins 🥱

Basketball has international interest. It is second only to soccer in global interest.

If you don't like BB, look at the mintages of gold spouses, or even proof gold eagles.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

Basketball has international interest. It is second only to soccer in global interest.

If you don't like BB, look at the mintages of gold spouses, or even proof gold eagles.

to each their own

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

if yo

to each their own

That is true. But if you are trying to assess the size of the mintage, it doesn't really matter what you or I like, but what the broad populace likes.

Look at mintages of gold commems over the last 10 years, they have been consistently dropping.

The AGE is actually a collected series, but only the 1/10 oz coin sells over 10,000 these days.

• Options

And, I don't want to crap on the gold sets. I think they are pretty. But close to 100 of each (2 coin & RP) came available this morning as the order cancellations continue.

• Options

didn't see the silver set become avail this am

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 4:35AM

I haven't seen the Mayflower silver set come up again since opening sales day.

As noted in earlier posts, here are two options for acquiring this set (higher than $150 US Mint price) other than eBay:

1. UK Royal Mint at 195 bp (US $259). Suggest you might add the unc coin for 10 bp (US$13.27) for total 205 bp and qualify for free shipping.
      https://royalmint.com/our-coins/events/mayflower/400th-anniversary-of-the-mayflower-voyage-silver-proof-coin-and-medal-set/

2. Presale at APMEX for US$249.99 - ships on 12/11/20
      https://apmex.com/product/224869/2020-gb-2-coin-ag-400th-anniversary-of-the-mayflower-proof-set

Again both costs > US Mint price of $150 but these sets don't seem to be appearing in the am.

edited to fix link.

• Options

@ebizgobro said:

As noted in earlier posts, here are two options for acquiring this set (higher than $150 US Mint price) other than eBay:

1. UK Royal Mint at 195 bp (US $259). Suggest you might add the unc coin for 10 bp (US$13.27) for total 205 bp and qualify for free shipping.
      https://royalmint.com/our-coins/events/mayflower/400th-anniversary-of-the-mayflower-voyage-silver-proof-coin-and-medal-set/

https://apmex.com/product/224869/2020-gb-2-coin-ag-400th-anniversary-of-the-mayflower-proof-set

Again both costs > US Mint price of $150 but these sets don't seem to be appearing in the am.

already bought the price gouged uk version of the set, waiting to see sold out on mint site before I go to ebay or apmex - although if apmex came out w it for 200 I may consider that shortcut

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@ebizgobro said:

already bought the price gouged uk version of the set, waiting to see sold out on mint site before I go to ebay or apmex - although if apmex came out w it for 200 I may consider that shortcut

Likely to be cheaper a year from now, if you are patient. Might even be under $150. Very few Mint commems maintain their value.

• Options

After almost 90 minutes, there are still 46 RP gold coins left and 28 2 coin gold sets.

QED

• Options

@ebizgobro said:

It is interesting that the UK set still hasn't sold out.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

jmlanzaf...Your link to APMEX presale does not compute...Perhaps they took it down & will increase the presale price.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    jmlanzaf...Your link to APMEX presale does not compute...Perhaps they took it down & will increase the presale price.

It's not my luck. I was quoting someone. Maybe try the link in the original post

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

You can solve all the issues with flippers on every offering fast....
    NO RETURNS
    That’ll do it

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:
    You can solve all the issues with flippers on every offering fast....
    NO RETURNS
    That’ll do it

while rare, I've had undeniably defective coins which should have been waffled and melted. I'd hate to stick someone with less than junk sold with a premium premium.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those reverse proof gold really do look nice. Anyone have the reverse proof silver?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Danno44Danno44 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Those reverse proof gold really do look nice. Anyone have the reverse proof silver?

Mines still processing, ordered it on day of release..

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    And, I don't want to crap on the gold sets. I think they are pretty. But close to 100 of each (2 coin & RP) came available this morning as the order cancellations continue.

Let the cancellations continue,,,,,,,, at some point maybe these could be the record low mintage commemorative gold coin.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Let the cancellations continue,,,,,,,, at some point maybe these could be the record low mintage commemorative gold coin.

Until next year's offerings...

The demand keeps slipping.

I feel badly. I kind of like these.

• Options

Does anyone know if PCGS is slabbing the UK sets as UK sets?

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

I got the shipped email 11/19. The Ag set and RP Au still show Processing.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

It's not my luck. I was quoting someone. Maybe try the link in the original post

My mistake...my comment should have been directed to: ebizgobro

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Sorry - here's the link for the Mayflower Silver 2 piece set at APMEX @ $249.99 pre-sale. (Only 10 sets available when checked.)

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do the two silver sets differ?

• Options

@Onastone said:
    How do the two silver sets differ?

Are you referring to the UK set and the American set? If so, the only difference is the outer packaging

• Options

Well, today's offerings came at 7:38 EST. They are really starting to eff with the times.

There were (minimum) 2 gold End of WW II $25 coins
    There were (minimum) 30 gold 2 pc Mayflower sets
    There were (minimum) 23 gold Mayflower RP

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything Mayflower is available as of this writing, including the 2020 unc. 1 oz. AGE.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Everything Mayflower is available as of this writing, including the 2020 unc. 1 oz. AGE.

Not the 2 coin silver set. But the other stuff is hardly moving. Crazy after such a fast sellout.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 6:06AM

@morgansforever said:

Not the 2 coin silver. I haven't seen that come available at all since the 1st day. I wonder if there was some special arrangement with the Royal Mint where they don't mint any excess or something.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@morgansforever said:

Not the 2 coin silver

Didn't realize there was a two piece silver set.

• Options

They are definitely getting a lot of cancellation of the Mayflower gold coins.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 6:11AM

I had a counter offer of $3k for the 2020 unc. gold AGE, these are a tough sell, especially when available at $2490 right now.

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@morgansforever said:

Not the 2 coin silver set. But the other stuff is hardly moving. Crazy after such a fast sellout.

This is not that unusual if the secondary market price doesn't spike. The problem with flippers is that they can kill an issue like this.

It happened with the 2017 EU set which still has one of the lowest mintage Jefferson nickels, Lincoln cents and Kennedy halves. The 2017 set sold out in a couple hours (225,000 mintage) and the price spiked to $60 overnight ($25 issue price, if I recall, or maybe it was $22.95). But the next day, a major retailer canceled a large order. That immediately created a chain reaction with flippers canceling another 30-40,000 orders. After that, it took weeks to go unavailable and they only got to 215,000 sales (they chose not to re-mint the other 10,000) and went "sold out" about 8 months later. Prices never recovered and you can probably still buy a set today at under the issue price.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 6:16AM

@morgansforever said:
    I had a counter offer of $3k for the 2020 unc. gold AGE, these are a tough sell, especially when available at $2490 right now.

Take it! LOL

They've only sold 7500 of the 1 oz proofs this year. I don't think 7,000 is scarce enough to make this thing pop. [In my ever humble opinion.]

• Options
    edited November 21, 2020 6:19AM

They were $29.95 a set, I bought 5, still have them, beautiful sets. I too remember that spike and then the drop off to basically issue price.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    It happened with the 2017 EU set which still has one of the lowest mintage Jefferson nickels, Lincoln cents and Kennedy halves. The 2017 set sold out in a couple hours (225,000 mintage) and the price spiked to $60 overnight ($25 issue price, if I recall, or maybe it was $22.95). But the next day, a major retailer canceled a large order. That immediately created a chain reaction with flippers canceling another 30-40,000 orders. After that, it took weeks to go unavailable and they only got to 215,000 sales (they chose not to re-mint the other 10,000) and went "sold out" about 8 months later. Prices never recovered and you can probably still buy a set today at under the issue price.

Wow. That’s interesting. I wasn’t following coins much that year so missed that.

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    They were $29.95 a set, I bought 5, still have them, beautiful sets. I too remember that spike and then the drop off to basically issue price.

I bought 200 sets. LOL. I actually made money by splitting them up and selling singles. You can pretty much still do the same thing. It was odd. The whole set goes for about $22 these days but you can still get $10-12 for the Lincoln and $10-12 for the Kennedy which makes the rest of the coins worth negative money!

• Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Wow. That’s interesting. I wasn’t following coins much that year so missed that.

Yes, it was interesting. And it really showed the down side to the mob mentality.

I think we're seeing something very similar on a smaller scale with the Mayflower gold. They have been coming available in large numbers (over 100 two days ago and close to 100 yesterday with 25-30 today). That most likely has to be cancellations as it is too late for CC problem and too early for returns. So I would guess the flippers are bailing on the issue because there is no pop in price and the cost is rather high. This can accelerate and create large numbers of returns and kill the secondary market on the issue.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Dollar2007 said:

Yes, it was interesting. And it really showed the down side to the mob mentality.

I think we're seeing something very similar on a smaller scale with the Mayflower gold. They have been coming available in large numbers (over 100 two days ago and close to 100 yesterday with 25-30 today). That most likely has to be cancellations as it is too late for CC problem and too early for returns. So I would guess the flippers are bailing on the issue because there is no pop in price and the cost is rather high. This can accelerate and create large numbers of returns and kill the secondary market on the issue.

Yeah I don’t like the way some of this new stuff is going. I like the limited releases and the new interest, but all these instant sellouts for coins that would before sit for weeks or never sellout isn’t good for anybody.

• Options

my silver rp showing up mon ✨

• Options

@ebizgobro said:
    Sorry - here's the link for the Mayflower Silver 2 piece set at APMEX @ $249.99 pre-sale. (Only 10 sets available when checked.)

That appears to be the UK set & not the US issued one.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

RP Arrived Today...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@OPA said:

@ebizgobro said:

That would be cheap for the UK set. They were 195# (about $258) each at release.

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

Got my silver RP today. Someone said it kinda had the look of old commems, I agree. Still waiting for my 2 coin silver set, has yet to ship.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@ebizgobro said:

That would be cheap for the UK set. They were 195# (about $258) each at release.

apmex usually has uk and french commems avail at v near, and sometimes less than, issue price - especially when factoring in intl shipping

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file