Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

§-§-§ 2020 Mayflower 400th Ann. US-Great Britain Gold (20XC) & Silver (20XD) Sets 11/17/20 9 AM ET

Comments

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

The restocking fee is a good idea, but would really rub me wrong if I received a defective product.

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:
    The restocking fee is a good idea, but would really rub me wrong if I received a defective product.

Usually restocking fees exempt defective items, or prevent claims of a defective product to get around the restocking fees by replacing the item with the same item.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 3:51PM

I received my Silver Reverse Proof Sets today,,,,,,, I like them.

Anyone had the 2 coin Silver Set ship yet?

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@Dollar2007 said:

@Halfpence said:

Usually restocking fees exempt defective items, or prevent claims of a defective product to get around the restocking fees by replacing the item with the same item.

Ya, but for coins, a defect is very subjective, so the Mint would have to default to the customer. An exchange could solve that, but for items that sold out ( like recent offerings), every exchange would amount to a refund. So, we’re right back where we started.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:

Define defective. Some people would claim defective if the coin they received was a 69.

• Options

@daltex said:

@Halfpence said:

Define defective. Some people would claim defective if the coin they received was a 69.

Exactly my point.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

If you can, please post a picture...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

my set from uk shipped ✈

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@Halfpence said:

Ya, but for coins, a defect is very subjective, so the Mint would have to default to the customer. An exchange could solve that, but for items that sold out ( like recent offerings), every exchange would amount to a refund. So, we’re right back where we started.

Yeah I thought about that. Not sure, but at least that would cut down on some speculative buying for certain things.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 5:08PM

I have a suspicion, that none of the 2 coin US silver proof sets have been shipped. Perhaps David Ryder hasn't finished autographing them. ;)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dollar2007 said:

@Halfpence said:

Hence the exchange option

• Options

@Halfpence said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@Halfpence said:

This is not true. If you return an item for exchange, there is no need to refund a sold out item. They simply give you a new one. The Mint strikes extra initially to handle returns anyway.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Halfpence said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@Halfpence said:

This is not true. If you return an item for exchange, there is no need to refund a sold out item. They simply give you a new one. The Mint strikes extra initially to handle returns anyway.

You're not thinking this through. The Mint would not strike nearly enough extras to handle the enormity of "exchanges". It would happen exactly as I described.

• Options

My 1st UK set arrived. It is #70 out of 500.

• Options

photos?

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    photos?

• Options

Got a couple silver ones, also. #811 and #818 out of 5000

• Options

@Halfpence said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Halfpence said:

@Dollar2007 said:

@Halfpence said:

You're not thinking this through. The Mint would not strike nearly enough extras to handle the enormity of "exchanges". It would happen exactly as I described.

No, it would not. You're not thinking this through at all. [Turnabout is fair play. LOL]

If it was that big a problem, they would never sell out anything now because they have the exact same issue now (you can return/exchange) only without the 20% restocking fee. How, exactly, would charging a 20% restocking fee cause MORE returns/exchanges than they currently have?

There have only been a few times where returns/exchanges got so out of control that they couldn't meet the demand with new coins. For example, the 2017 EU set which had 40,000 to 50,000 returns against a 225, 000 authorized mintage. In the end, they decided not to Mint anymore and ended up with only 215,000 mintage.

They mint 10-20% over the maximum mintage to cover returns. They can also mint more, if they need to. If they fail to be able to replace it, they can always choose to offer either a full refund or store credit.

• Options

looks great, @jmlanzaf! thanks for sharing some shots - congrats on the low # on the uk set

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the photos

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

Single AG & Single AU both shipped. Silver should be here this week.
    2 coin set remains processing. Sheesh, they aren't making Chicken Nuggets ! Those things are processed to h*ll and back.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Goldminers said:
    As a long term collector, I am disappointed that so many of the modern gold and silver coins like these, get bought and almost immediately returned, if the buyers don't think they will make big money on eBay in a week.

The 2020 AGE (non-privy) is another example. Hundreds listed on eBay by non collectors. It should never have sold out at the 7,000 mintage for around $600 above spot to begin with. I used to get 70's from dealers at a fair price for both of us, but now even dealers have to pay "bot" purchasers big bucks just to get enough to send in a batch.

The MInt could stop it instantly if they changed their return policy to either: 1) Exchange for same product or 2) Return with 20% restocking fee.

I flip. But if I buy something that languishes, I take my loss and move on. So far, I've never really lost any money because I'm pretty careful. But I've sold a few things at net cost.

I agree. I also flip certain offerings at a profit but I don't return items because I can't.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2020 10:03PM

Silver RP single showed up today. Gold shipped after Silver but showed up Tuesday. ?

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 4:13PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:
    Man does the RP gold look nice. I'm grateful to those who posted the first pics. I wasn't going to get it based on the pics on the Mint web site. When I saw actual pics I wanted one. I was able to order one morning.

It just arrived. Thought UPS would miss us today. Just before 6 pm it arrived. The driver had left it at the door and was walking away (so much for the signature). I'm glad I caught him. I immediately noticed that the box was totally open on one end. Thought the coin had been stolen. I asked him to wait until I inspected it which he did. Its amazing that it didn't just fall out.

In any case, its here. I'm so pleased. Its awesome looking.

Congratulations.
    I really like all 4 of the US coins. One of my favorite modern commems

Thank you!!!

Totally agree. I foolishly didn't order the silver set when I could have easily done so at release. I found one on ebay for $200. My $50 penalty for my mistake. I can't wait until it arrives.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

@Raufus said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Raufus said:
    Man does the RP gold look nice. I'm grateful to those who posted the first pics. I wasn't going to get it based on the pics on the Mint web site. When I saw actual pics I wanted one. I was able to order one morning.

It just arrived. Thought UPS would miss us today. Just before 6 pm it arrived. The driver had left it at the door and was walking away (so much for the signature). I'm glad I caught him. I immediately noticed that the box was totally open on one end. Thought the coin had been stolen. I asked him to wait until I inspected it which he did. Its amazing that it didn't just fall out.

In any case, its here. I'm so pleased. Its awesome looking.

Congratulations.
    I really like all 4 of the US coins. One of my favorite modern commems

Thank you!!!

Totally agree. I foolishly didn't order the silver set when I could have easily done so at release. I found one on ebay for $200. My $50 penalty for my mistake. I can't wait until it arrives.

ME TOO...!

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    Silver RP single showed up today. Gold shipped after Silver but showed up Tuesday. ?

My Mayflower silver reverse proof sailed off the end of the earth. Was suppose to arrive last Monday but it hasn't been scanned since it left Memphis.

• Options

@djm said:

@Kudbegud said:

My Mayflower silver reverse proof sailed off the end of the earth. Was suppose to arrive last Monday but it hasn't been scanned since it left Memphis.

Just when we thought the Earth was round...

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭

My silver set is still processing. Has anybody received theirs from the mint yet?

• Options

Mine is still processing too. It will complete my first day orders. The Ag set and both RP's.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:
    My silver set is still processing. Has anybody received theirs from the mint yet?

Both my silver and gold sets (ordered together on sale date) have yet to ship.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many/most of the 1 oz. non v75 gold examples are ending with no bids, eventually these will end up being returned, the best option for the casual flipper.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

I believe that NONE of the silver proof & medal sets have been mailed. I'm suspicious of ebay sellers claiming "IN HAND"

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭✭

I'm also processing for the silver sets. Kind of regret ordering these, lol.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options

@OPA said:
    I believe that NONE of the silver proof & medal sets have been mailed. I'm suspicious of ebay sellers claiming "IN HAND"

One of mine was shipped.

Interestingly, both my UK sets arrived. Apparently it is quicker to have them sent to London and then back to the U.S. ;)

• Options

@opportunity said:
    I'm also processing for the silver sets. Kind of regret ordering these, lol.

They are very pretty. I really like them. Looks great in hand.

Price holding at $200 on eBay for now. So it hasn't exactly collapsed in price, either.

If they come available again, I will buy more.

• Options

Coin World reports Silver Set delay cause. Says shipping starting today

• Options

LMAO. So the Mint has been counting from 1 to 9200 for the last month?

• Options

Seems so. Lets see who reports receiving a shipped notice.

• Options

dang - hopefully this means remainders pop at 730 est tomorrow

• Options

wait - how do they deal with returns / exchanges [melting down returns, using excess stocks to cover returns] with this 2 coin silver issue? specifically around the individually #d coas, and one of the coins in the set being foreign-made? 🤔

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

I'M IN....

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    wait - how do they deal with returns / exchanges [melting down returns, using excess stocks to cover returns] with this 2 coin silver issue? specifically around the individually #d coas, and one of the coins in the set being foreign-made? 🤔

They may recycle the packaging. They could reprint the COA. I'm betting they don't bother replacing them.

• Options

@ECHOES said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

I'M IN....

Get there early or I'll buy 100. ;)

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2020 8:48PM

Is anyone getting these graded with the COA? How will this be done? Mine still processing. I would guess they would remain "First Strike" eligible if you don't open the package.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I got a shipping notice on my Mint Sets,,,,,,,,,,

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@GiveMeProof said:
    Is anyone getting these graded with the COA? How will this be done? Mine still processing. I would guess they would remain "First Strike" eligible if you don't open the package.

I've made up my mind on these coas that I'm just going to open em so I can have that experience myself - can always get it sleeved later; dont need a slab for the trouble - curious how others are approaching this tho

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    Well, I got a shipping notice on my Mint Sets,,,,,,,,,,

hoping to see some forum members get some low cert #s

• Options

My suspicion has been confirmed. B) As such, I'll stop pestering the Mint with emails requesting status reports. BTW, nine is still processing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file