Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 - So if these typically only came in mint sets then it must have been a mint dump?! After they reached their goal for sets and had leftovers?!

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

CoinscratchFever: I don't believe those ATB's were only offered in Mint Sets. I'm pretty sure all P & D ATB's circulated via rolls & bags as well. Given that these weren't found in customer-wrapped rolls, I'm thinking either:
    (a) someone collected those nice older date specimens & they were eventually turned back in & somehow managed to roll together at the companies that machine-roll new & used coins together in "String" wrappers or the like (but what are the odds of THAT?), or
    (b) maybe they were sitting around somewhere in the Mint's vaults & finally released/dumped in with other, newer issues to the same rolling companies (possible, but, again, unless a TON of each of those coins was dumped, what are the odds I'd get them all in 1 or 2 rolls?).

Further leading me away from that second option is the fact that I found those older ones with both P & D mintmarks. If from the Mint/vaults wouldn't those rolls likely either be all P or D? Or if excess go to storage to be released later, do they all go from both Mints to the same storage/distribution center?

I'd welcome any thoughts on this.

-- Dave :/

• Options

So, besides when they roll them in their own unique rolls/paper when selling them on their website, does the MINT actually roll minted coins for any other reason, or just BAG them, and leave it to the middle-men (distributors) to roll them any way they like before distributing them to banks across the nation? It would seem to have to be the latter, if those rolls had both D & S mintmarks............. I'm confused. But a good education opportunity!

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    So, besides when they roll them in their own unique rolls/paper when selling them on their website, does the MINT actually roll minted coins for any other reason, or just BAG them, and leave it to the middle-men (distributors) to roll them any way they like before distributing them to banks across the nation? It would seem to have to be the latter, if those rolls had both D & S mintmarks............. I'm confused. But a good education opportunity!

Here's a thread I did pretty recently on coin distribution... https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1051188/how-coins-get-distributed-from-the-mint-im-only-5-miles-from-the-denver-mint

I'm guessing there are some coin vending locations, like ocean currents, where more mint marks often get mixed :wink:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next...

Searching for the missing letters mostly. Doubled letters are cool as well. That's from the President's. The other varieties from the other two dollars are to be hunted too. 4 rolls, hopefully at least ONE variety coin would be satisfying. Esp. The Cheerios. Lol

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

Next...

Searching for the missing letters mostly. Doubled letters are cool as well. That's from the President's. The other varieties from the other two dollars are to be hunted too. 4 rolls, hopefully at least ONE variety coin would be satisfying. Esp. The Cheerios.

Good luck Joey!!!
    Find that die scrape so we can claim a variety! :smiley:

I'll add one to your list...the special rinse variety, according to Fred Weinberg it's got a distinctive olive colored hue to it. I'm guessing it's pretty tough to spot!

Also here you go... great resource smalldollars.com

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

Kurisu: Thanks for that thread & link! NOW I get it!! :)

Next on my list is to figure out how everyone is able to copy the body of another person's response into their own post, like you did mine into yours (with @DBSTrader2: .........) :/

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Kurisu: Thanks for that thread & link! NOW I get it!! :)

Next on my list is to figure out how everyone is able to copy the body of another person's response into their own post, like you did mine into yours (with @DBSTrader2: .........) :/

Click "Quote
    I usually delete the links to photos when I do this so that I don't create giant responses with repeating images :smiley:
    Give it a try!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

👍👍👍

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2021 1:22PM

WHOA

What a good sign! Look what I found in the first coin of the first roll.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

WHOA

What a good sign! Look what I found in the first coin of the first roll.

Close rim! Fantastic!
    Those SBA's tend to survive in great condition as well!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 3:37PM

Super Low Mintage

1,820,000. that's lower than the 2020 W's
    2013d NIFC

Green Rinse variety?

How would I know if I have it?

1. It's Green like

2. It's the 2001

3. It's the Philadelphia

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Green Rinse variety?

How would I know if I have it?

Here's the thread that zoins had started...Fred had some good descriptions in there
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1049497/experimental-rinse-dollars-what-was-the-verdict

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 10:15PM

I had one of those graded recently just missed the mark at 66. Got it from a mint pack

https://images.pcgs.com/trueview/41041327_medium.jpg

Here is the TV 67 for comparison.
    Liberty looks stronger here.
    https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/39346577_194245083_2200.jpg

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I had one of those graded recently just missed the mark at 66. Got it from a mint pack

Nice try. Her cheek looks marvelous. I'm surprised you missed it. :*

• Options
    edited February 27, 2021 10:21PM

Nice NIFC

2011d Position B, Low Mintage

Missing Letters

2010 Buchanan

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Nice try. Her cheek looks marvelous. I'm surprised you missed it. :*

Mine always miss it...In terms of hits it should have made it but I think when you compare the overall look and strike with the other 67’s you’ll find it’s graded correctly. The TV 67’s look like 68’s to me.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 7:00AM

"Ask and you Shall Receive."

Well I completed the 4 roll hunt in the dollar coins. When I first started to open the rolls. I asked for at least ONE Variety in the bunch of 4 rolls. Lol, That's exactly what I received! One variety, the 1979p " Near Date", Susan B. Anthony Dollar. On the very first coin I looked at, nothing really after that. Except a few NIFC's and some "President Position B's and 1 "Missing Letters" dollar. Lol I'm satisfied. :)

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Good Luck, dude. Pick some SILVER. B)

Holy cow Joey!!! I literally could not tell you when was the last time I found a silver quarter in the wild.
    Besides that other post today of the V75 W and the cool orange toner from the morning quarter rolls... https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1053007/super-unusual-toning-to-me-anyway-in-a-super-fun-roll-with-a-v75-right-behind-it#latest

This was in the very last quarter roll, just now!
    Talk about feeling like a kid again! :blush: You wished me silver :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:

Holy cow Joey!!! I literally could not tell you when was the last time I found a silver quarter in the wild.

Nice find! The chances are slim for sure. Do you guys ever ask for customer wrapped rolls on the quarters?
    Obviously no chance in finding a W there but, you may load up on silver albeit the right place at the right time.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:

Nice find! The chances are slim for sure. Do you guys ever ask for customer wrapped rolls on the quarters?
    Obviously no chance in finding a W there but, you may load up on silver albeit the right place at the right time.

Thanks!!!
    I actually did ask for any customer rolls at my last pickup...in my last photo of the rolls if you look you'll see they only had 2 for me. They were nothing special but there were pretty much no newer quarters in those rolls, so maybe next time! I agree...I'm going to keep asking about customer rolls and hope for dump!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:

Thanks!!!
    I actually did ask for any customer rolls at my last pickup...in my last photo of the rolls if you look you'll see they only had 2 for me. They were nothing special but there were pretty much no newer quarters in those rolls, so maybe next time! I agree...I'm going to keep asking about customer rolls and hope for dump!

If only we had saved 5,147 rolls of silver quarters back in the 70’s, 80’s, or even the 90’s when they could easily still be had. Keep stacking ;)

• Options

1 down and 205,866 to go :D plus or minus Joeys hourly rate to check’em all, proceeds from finds, and packing & shipping costs. And then factor in my 51% for ownership :D
    There’s gotta be a better way...

• Options
    edited February 28, 2021 9:44PM

Do you guys ever ask for customer wrapped rolls on the quarters?

Yes, I do ask for cust. wrapped rolls. Yes, there were some 2020's in the quarter rolls I got. but no w's.
    Tomorrow, I'm going to ask for any half dollar customer wrapped rolls! This is from a Chase Bank, not my bank. :)
    Here is my new quest, starting tonight.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this in pocket change.
    Am I asking too much of the eye beam? (floating roof)

• Options

After yesterdays somewhat epic search I couldn't resist...had to go out to pick up a new cable box anyway...
    Not only do the tellers enjoy seeing the pics of the cool stuff I've found, but now they save things for me!
    Be nice, and sometimes bring cookies...it pays off lol...ok so does banking at the same branches for about 30 years lol!

She said I've got something different in the vault if you want them, I don't know why we got them...YES PLEASE!!!!!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Good Luck!

Here are my new acquisitions.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 3:56PM

Out of 50$ in quarters and 12$ in nickels I got two war nickels, a 1947 nickel, 1954 d nickel, and a 2019 W San Antonio quarter ender.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    Out of 50$ in quarters and 12$ in nickels I got two war nickels, a 1947 nickel, 1954 d nickel, and a 2019 W San Antonio quarter ender.

I would say you did quite well.
    ~ 1% war nickels is crazy good. :)

• Options

Results from the 4 rolls. Nothing, really this time. But still cool NIFC's.

• Options

Here is the photo of the west point ender that I couldn’t post yesterday.

Congrats. Very COOL! Show us the 39 in that row, as well. Lol Wishful thinking? :D

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Congrats. Very COOL! Show us the 39 in that row, as well. Lol Wishful thinking? :D

In all my searching the most W I found in one roll was 8 and that was in 2019...I have never heard of anyone getting higher than 10 in a roll. I do keep the W enders though and have many rolls of them. I am willing to trade if anyone has any interest.😉

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Was it a Tallgrass roll or a different one?

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was actually from a circulation roll, my bank never had bran new rolls. It was a San Antonio. I still need the river of no return, the bat, wire farms, salt river bay, and tall grass prairie.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the coffee is for the "teller" as you seem to be at the bank a lot. So you know a person who knows a person who is a teller! LOL :) You still need one more find for a complete roll as I recall. ;)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

You still need one more find for a complete roll as I recall. ;)

Yes, actually I'm 2 short of the magic 40. Boy, been on a real tough dry spell finding anymore W's. In this last roll, I posted, the Samoa's. Nothing. Can't remember when I found any W? Maybe this is a sign of the W's disappearing? I'm pretty sure they're still out there? I hope. Lol. About the banks. Yes, I frequent many, many. Mostly on my way to work. No gas wasted. I go to so many, I tend to forget which ones have cool tellers? Lol. Don't get OLD. :D Thanks.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@WAYNEAS said:

You still need one more find for a complete roll as I recall. ;)

Yes, actually I'm 2 short of the magic 40. Boy, been on a real tough dry spell finding anymore W's. In this last roll, I posted, the Samoa's. Nothing. Can't remember when I found any W? Maybe this is a sign of the W's disappearing? I'm pretty sure they're still out there? I hope. Lol. About the banks. Yes, I frequent many, many. Mostly on my way to work. No gas wasted. I go to so many, I tend to forget which ones have cool tellers? Lol. Don't get OLD. :D Thanks.

:):):)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    edited March 3, 2021 3:43PM

Anybody ever see this company?

Or are these just a coin wrapper co.?

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Anybody ever see this company?
    Or are these just a coin wrapper co.?

I believe it's actually another Loomis like coin vending service.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2021 11:55PM

Joey-

In reference to your initial post WAY back on top-Variety Vista lists no Kennedy half dollar doubled dies after the 1992-S proof. You can go there to check your '71-Ds but the best of those are found in Mint sets and more desirable because they are early die states and the doubling is easier to see.

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file