Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was found in the wild, yesterday. Pocket change.
    2021 P U.S. 10 Cent, Dime.
    PS, one of two. The other is a 2020 Dime. I just have to get to it, and that was found at the same location on Thursday.
    FYI, Notice the spur, it looks like a C on the trunk of the left branch.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

FINALLY!

Found TWO W's in one roll. Finally. Lol
    Rockefeller
    1st one

2nd one

3 coins more to check to finish that roll. Lol
    FINALLY

Congratulations!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2021 9:43AM

Found recently. What is this called? Die Cap? It runs from 7:00-11:00. Thanks
    Warning: Many Pics

Toner

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

@In4apenny said:
    I still have rolls of pennies and nickels unsearched from 10 years ago. Plus the change I threw in jars over the years, unsearched as well. Of course instead of searching those I am doing the Half dollars. I might hit another branch that I go to to pick up another box of half dollars. They are bigger and easier on these old eyes.

Do you find much silver in the half dollars rolls? Franklyn's? Thanks Joe

• Options

Found a 2019W River of no return quarter yesterday - Not a big deal as I have 6 from new rolls that I kept..

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    This was found in the wild, yesterday. Pocket change.
    2021 P U.S. 10 Cent, Dime.
    PS, one of two. The other is a 2020 Dime. I just have to get to it, and that was found at the same location on Thursday.
    FYI, Notice the spur, it looks like a C on the trunk of the left branch.

Cool. But it does look like just machine doubling to me. The spur looks like maybe just a tiny die chip.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@joeykoins said:

That rim...Railroad rim, a die clash error?
    I'm not the expert but that would be my first thought.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited February 6, 2021 7:13PM

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:

That rim...Railroad rim, a die clash error?
    I'm not the expert but that would be my first thought.

Thanks. Nice catch on the dollars. ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2021 8:31PM

On the Reverse of a 2016d Jefferson.

A Normal Reverse

• Options

I know, Foreign. But This was in an american bank roll. Lol

Only 500,000 Mintage.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    Made a last second Saturday afternoon run today to my bank...asked about small dollars and they had this many :blush:
    Only one single find...another pretty nice barely circulated proof.

About 5 more Sacagawea and Presidential proofs found in rolls and I'll have a complete roll of them!
    Then I'm going to xylene them all, Muaahhahahahaaaa hmmm yeah :smiley:

Does that work well? I’ve had some luck dipping silver proofs in jewelry cleaner. The only thing I’ll dip a Lincoln in anymore is a flip ;)

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@In4apenny said:
    I still have rolls of pennies and nickels unsearched from 10 years ago. Plus the change I threw in jars over the years, unsearched as well. Of course instead of searching those I am doing the Half dollars. I might hit another branch that I go to to pick up another box of half dollars. They are bigger and easier on these old eyes.

Sadly no silver at all. I did find a lot of NIFC though. 2018-47ea, 2017-5 ea. 1 ea. of 02,03,04,05,09,10,11,and 14.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2021 11:56PM

Found this tonight in change a 1962 cent clean also.
    One thing caught my eye and threw me for a loop.
    The edge is well rounded compared to the flat edge, as to stand a coin up, is the only way to explain this.
    The edge seems to be cleaner or the luster bomb of the coin.
    Skip the value part. What was the cause of this ?

• Options

Found this 1973s. At first, I thought Proof?

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    Found this tonight in change and 1962 clean also.
    The edge is well rounded compared to the flat edge, as to stand a coin up, is the only way to explain this.

Cool coin. Maybe just wear? :*

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Does that work well? I’ve had some luck dipping silver proofs in jewelry cleaner. The only thing I’ll dip a Lincoln in anymore is a flip ;)

Well, it's not really a dip...more like acetone. Some prefer it or use it after using acetone. It's incredibly strong, incredibly fast to completely evaporate, of course highly flammable, and will scramble your brains if not used well ventilated and safely.

It works like acetone, even stronger, and removes all moisture among just about everything else biological, but doesn't effect toning much (depending). Extremely pure Xylenes are available to order from chemical supply companies which is what I use. Xylene you can get in some hardware stores...
    My Dad is a PHD in physical chemistry and was a very well known researcher in detergents and soaps, he recommended it to me many years ago. You'll find that some of the chemistry folks here like it quite a bit and it's definitely a product that is used sometimes in proper coin restoration. It smells incredibly strongly and similar to amyl nitrate (old school model glue base, but you really don't want to be sniffing this, or old model glue either lol!).

Coins are Neato!

• Options

It just very eye catching and smooth almost like polished. The edge only.
    Thanks Joey,
    Meanwhile, back to the hunt.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2021 11:49PM

Check this monster out. Not listed in CPG? What?
    1961d Jefferson
    Gotta check Variety Vista

• Options

Hmmm? Nickel Roll?

Maybe the Jefferson has a new design out? Similar to the Memorial Cent? Lol

• Options

@In4apenny said:

@Joe_360 said:

@In4apenny said:

Sadly no silver at all. I did find a lot of NIFC though. 2018-47ea, 2017-5 ea. 1 ea. of 02,03,04,05,09,10,11,and 14.

ANY in MS?

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@emeraldATV said:
    Found this tonight in change and 1962 clean also.

Cool coin. Maybe just wear? :*

When I was young, we used to hammer the edge of a silver coin with a heavy spoon to round it out so we could make a ring out of it. Your penny looks like it is in the beginning of the process. The 60's were a popular time to do this.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Hmmm? Nickel Roll?

Maybe the Jefferson has a new design out? Similar to the Memorial Cent? Lol

Lincoln cent struck on a nickel planchet. Hammer time :D

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Well, it's not really a dip...

Lol!!! I just noticed your wink...hah! Well hopefully someone else learned something :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Congratulations!

• Options

Congrats. For the "W" to you and to Tom Brady! Ironic title of the Quarter, "River of No Return ". Could this be the saying for Tom Brady as well? Will he "Return"? Lol

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:

@In4apenny said:

@Joe_360 said:

@In4apenny said:

ANY in MS?

Yes. Of the 47 2018 D's only about 15 showed wear and or dullness/imperfections. The rest have full shine but typical weakness around the chin/neck/above the eye areas from what I can tell for the Denver strikes. Maybe only about 5 or so might be MS 64/63 with the rest would be run of the mill 60's. Looks like these are rejects from searched bags/rolls. The 5 best however do have mostly clean fields in the Obverse. It seams all the reverses have excellent strikes with full neck feathers/arrows/stars with clear shields, kinda strange. Still happy to have them though.

• Options

Anybody know what da? Lamination flaps? Zinc rot? What da? Lol. Thanks guy's

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Anybody know what da? Lamination flaps? Zinc rot? What da? Lol. Thanks guy's

zinc rot

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plating bubble and zinc rot..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @WQuarterFreddie That looks like the type B reverse...

It does have the Type B reverse, as all 1937 to 1964 proof quarters have the Type B reverse. It just doesn't get a special variety designation for that, because all proofs from those dates have it.

As @joeykoins mentioned, the Type B reverse is also found on some 1956-1964 business strike quarters, and on those it is considered a less common variety, as most business strikes from those dates have the Type A reverse.

• Options

@IkesT said:

Let's also not forget the harder to find type quarter. The Type "C". 1964's.
    Nice Premium. ;)

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@IkesT said:

Let's also not forget the harder to find type quarter. The Type "C". 1964's.
    Nice Premium. ;)

That is one of my favorites. The 1964-D Type C quarter takes some good, hard searching to find. I searched a collection of ~10,000 junk silver quarters at the LCS and only found 1 Type C. Granted, they were mixed dates (not all 1964-D), but it still felt like a nice accomplishment to find the one.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2021 9:19PM

@CoinscratchFever said:
    I really need to find some better stuff.

MS67 not 68

That one that ends in ...308 looks closest to a 68 for me... just remember the quality of the surface & strike effects getting to 68 quite a bit as well as any existing spotting and hits on the rims. I say not bad though! Congrats!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited February 9, 2021 9:48PM

@Kurisu Thanks, I really thought 306 would hit 68.
    Here is my 67+ From a while back, I guess it has a better luster I didn’t think it was as good.

• Options
    edited February 10, 2021 4:03PM

@joeykoins said:
    Found 5 Babies in just 5 rolls.

That's amazing stuff right there, congrats!!!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

J_H_B said:
    Just found my first Wartime Nickel =D Gold Toned nice luster(camera can't do it justice) weighs 5.2 which is in the error margin and really really cool. This totally made my day, righteousness.

That looks sa-weet! Nice find!

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Found 5 Babies in just 5 rolls.

Look at you! Congratulations!

• Options

Persistence pays

• Options

@JoeyCoins.... You are finding a surprising amount of W quarters... must have something to do with your area. They just do not seem to show up here. Have checked a few quarter rolls when I saw how many you were finding... and nothing. Great finds and I hope you find many more. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice Catch!

SILVERRRR. B)

• Options
    edited February 11, 2021 8:45PM

Hey RickO

20 More Rolls!

Results: 6 More, baby.

You brought me Luck, RickO Thanks :D

#23, #24, #25, #26, #27 and #28.

• Options

Wow... The King of W quarter roll finds..... Congratulations Joey....Great finds. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file