Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    Now, I'll have to ask for new boxes along with customer wrapped ones.
    Coin Quest 2021 - Are you in?

Not for me. Hard enough to get my bank to give me quarter boxes. I can't imagine trying to get a box of each denomination. Also, kinda mad PCGS didn't include quarters in their contest.😤

Quarters matter too you know!🤣😂

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 11:35AM

Bank box half dollars UPDATE:

First of all, NO enders in both boxes. On both sides. BAD sign. Lol.
    Gone through about 2/3 of one box. NO Silver but did come across 4 interesting ones. 2 are 1971d's. Possible DDO? And 2 NIFC's. One 2004d. Not bad shape. It does have a ding. The other is a stunner! 2019p. Check em out.

1971d's Possible DDO's?

NIFC's

2004d

2019p PL?

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins What's a NFIC?
    Just trying to get you to talk more for the giveaway :D

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

Not for me. Hard enough to get my bank to give me quarter boxes. I can't imagine trying to get a box of each denomination. Also, kinda mad PCGS didn't include quarters in their contest.😤

Quarters matter too you know!🤣😂

I probably won't even see any 2021 change until way after the May date.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got very excited for moment there...Taking a final closer sans-loupe look at the halfs from my measly 2 rolls...
    Notice anything about the reverse?!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited February 19, 2021 1:31PM

@Kurisu said:
    I got very excited for moment there...Taking a final closer sans-loupe look at the halfs from my measly 2 rolls...

Severe strike doubling?
    Is that the same as machine Doubling?

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Kurisu said:

Severe strike doubling?

It's more than the usual bit when you find it...it's all around the entire reverse on the letters to varying degrees and even on the left wing and right leg! Too bad there aren't many collectors lol, but it's a great example!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Kurisu said:

Severe strike doubling?

It's more than the usual bit when you find it...it's all around the entire reverse on the letters to varying degrees and even on the left wing and right leg! Too bad there aren't many collectors lol, but it's a great example!

I heard here once that people sell them on the bay, not only as a scam but some people knowingly buy them.

• Options
    edited February 19, 2021 8:36PM

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Kurisu said:

Severe strike doubling?

I heard here once that people sell them on the bay, not only as a scam but some people knowingly buy them.

I could always put it on Etsy for $45,000 :smiley:

Yup same...strike doubling, shelf doubling, shift doubling, machine doubling, mechanical doubling. Well, almost identical in appearance anyway.

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 4:51PM

Starting My 2nd Bank Box

Found a couple more NIFC's 2008p One of the Lowest Mintage, lower than the 2020 W Quarters, Strike through or grease filled 1989d and a nice 1996d and 1983d.

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Today is penny day. Because...pennies.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu Same here. I have some catching up to do and need to knock these out before Monday my favorite day to restock.
    Let's see what you find :)

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Kurisu Same here. I have some catching up to do and need to knock these out before Monday my favorite day to restock.
    Let's see what you find :)

The easiest way to knock those out in a day would be to ship most of them to me :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 7:00PM

To the left and lower portion of the picture are the two Bank boxes I bought a few days ago. In which I'll be completing soon. Then, to the right is Part 16, of my Bank Boxes. Ready to be searched.
    The Half box and penny box were so far, skunks. Lol. This Cent Box was picked up at a branch I never been to. We shall see?

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

no as I do not get out much any more and all transactions by my wife are cc purchases lol

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Wow, just found my BEST...

Yep, finally something after 2000 Kennedys! Fantastic toned Proof 1986! Unbelievable.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2021 8:26PM

I took some time to go through a $100 face bag of silver I had laying around. I found a few neat coins.

Clipped planchet - I'm guessing it's not PMD

1963 Type B reverse - found several

Machine doubling, i think

1941-S - Large S

Potential DD

1941 DDR - 801

Potential DDR

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

no as I do not get out much any more and all transactions by my wife are cc purchases lol

I think you can buy bags from the mint just get the credit card back while she’s sleeping :D

• Options

Another Find

Wow, am I now on a bit of a roll?

NIFC

• Options

I found my first 2000 Wide AM. Not a looker so I’ll post a pic later.
    I feel like someone is about to find a 92 Close AM, beating the odds must be getting closer.

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 9:30PM

Strike-Through?

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    I took some time to go through a $100 face bag of silver I had laying around. I found a few neat coins.

You did well for just S100 bag. :)

Tomorrow I’ll be checking for one of these. I’ve been throwing similar looking wheaties into a jar thinking they were all just clipped pieces stuck to the date. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/24808513_151960163_2200.jpg

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    Strike-Through?

It almost went all the way through :D
    @Kurisu would know.

• Options

Today's finds...

Zit on nose.🙂

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@joeykoins said:
    Strike-Through?

It almost went all the way through :D
    @Kurisu would know.

I'm giving you a solid maybe on that one :blush:
    It doesn't have the shape of anything in particular and could probably be duplicated with a metal tool dropped on it juuuuust right...so yeah, that's a "I'm gonna tell my friends it was a strikethrough" lol!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited February 20, 2021 10:50PM

@Jimmytheartist said:
    Today's finds...

Zit on nose.🙂

Looks like a Koala bear to me. Need to call in @emeraldATV on this one. He is the expert on these.

• Options

On the last few rolls of the second Bank box halves. Going out with a BANG! Check this out.

Here's the BANG PART.

1964p 90%

• Options

Look at you! Nice! When does the Great American Coin Hunt 2021 start?

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

As soon as you find one...The 2021 P Cent has already been had. You need to turn in the best set by May 15th.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinquest

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

As soon as you find one...The 2021 P Cent has already been had. You need to turn in the best set by May 15th.

I was referring to the annual GAC not the PCGS Coin Quest

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

This? I did this a couple years ago and put some proof cents back into circ.
    https://www.greatamericancoinhunt.com/

• Options

For the non-collector nothing grabs your attention quite like a proof cent.

• Options

Lol. After further examining. I think I found out my recent CRH find may be the RPD variety? What do you guy's think? Thanks

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Yes! I mentioned it because it helps to explain why Joey found his Indian head penny in a bank roll because of people like you who are kind enough to put old coins back in to circulation. I learned about this program 2 years ago when I started collecting W quarters 😎

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Yes! I mentioned it because it helps to explain why Joey found his Indian head penny in a bank roll because of people like you who are kind enough to put old coins back in to circulation. I learned about this program 2 years ago when I started collecting W quarters 😎

I have found a few Indians in fed boxes figured it just happened by accident, who knows.

• Options

@joeykoins looks like the 1905 W and I think I have one too.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2021 4:15PM

How cool is this? This is what you get when you treat people well for decades...
    I stopped at my Chase branch while out running errands just to check for quarters on a whim.

One of my favorite tellers, "We just got the ones you brought back last time in, do you want new ones?"
    Me, "Oh you mean re-rolls of the same ones I searched?"
    Her "Yup...I can open a new box and give you new ones if you like?"
    Me "There are more cookies in your near future!" :smiley:
    She went and opened a fresh box of Loomis quarters for me.

I also showed her some photos of the cool stuff I found in the box of small dollars, and yes, they let me return about 980 small dollars from that box of a 1000 :blush:

This also tells me that at least at those bigger branches certainly know when they are receiving their own re-rolls and which ones they are. So that was super nice!
    I kept it reasonable since I still have a bunch of other rolls at the moment...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu Good Luck!

• Options

Today, I went to a bank that previously had produced zero customer wrapped rolls. Today however, the teller had one roll that she said an old man brought in, an old man :D He must've been pretty old cause I'm no spring chicken.
    I currently have the top spot in True View for my 82 D Bronze LD. Not the top coin yet, that would be a 67+ and mine is a lowly 66. (pictured) But here is a chance to up the ante.
    Looks like the old man was saving cooper :D

• Options

Well, I wish they were all cooper as several are 82 D SD's. Only 22 are cooper the other 28 are ziinc.
    Still a chance to upgrade the TV Pic and add/or upgrade some of my other 82's.

Did you know that the 82 D LD bronze holds value even in MS66 and the SD bronze even covers the cost of grading in a MS65.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2021 11:07PM

@CoinscratchFever
    Thanks but I'm cool, bro
    Love to have two, but I've found they have to be friends prior to, or they get jealous.

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Felt like I was playing "Go Fish" tonight, and "fished my wish" several times over!

My boys & I have a set each of ATB quarters, up-to-date now with the help of a few fellow Forum members thru 2020.

On a whim, as we've been going thru our old accumulated change and the few rolls at a time I get from occasional trips to the bank to search for needed dates for those collections (and maybe even a "W" - - although just 1 ever), just for fun, I've also been attempting to fill an ATB folder from circulation. 98% of what we find are "P" mint, our being just outside of Philly.

I got 4 rolls today from the bank. There were a lot (maybe 1/3 of all the coins) that were brand-spanking-new Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller "P" mint, along with 1 or 2 other more recent coins that filled a few more holes in that "whim" folder.

As I updated the list of remaining "needs", I noticed how they were mainly the early years (2010-2012). With their names still in my mind, as I started going thru rolls #3 & #4, THERE THEY ALMOST ALL WERE!! Not just there, but both "P" & "D" mintmarks of each of the ones I needed - - and they were all in BU condition!! Fresh & shiny as the day they were minted!
    Hot Springs, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, El Yunque, Chaco Culture, Hawaii, Perry's Victory, and others! Plus a few bucks face of Bicentennial Q's in nice condition as well (all P's). SOMEBODY must have cracked-open their mint sets at just the right time for me to find them!

So nothing earth-shattering, but pretty neat to find all those early year ones the folder needed, and in such pristine condition! Can't wait to see what I find in the dime, nickel & penny rolls I also picked up (just 2 of each, as really just looking to find 2020's & 2021's to keep us up-to-date).

I'm like a little kid again...... ;):)

Congratulations to you and your kids! So nice when things go your way!😎

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:

I'm like a little kid again...... ;):)

I know right! Isn't it just awesome :) Wish I had started as a kid, I would have a massive collection by now. I have a few different half completed quarter books I have picked up along the way but I'm not collecting that series. So, just let me know if there is a particular need for your set and I'll check and see if I have it for you guys.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021 7:38AM

Thanks for the offer, CoinscratchFever! This latest set is purely as we find them in the wild - - just for fun, so not actively looking. But it was cool to see such gems still out there all clumped together within a few rolls!

I also stand corrected..... they were not customer-rolled rolls either, they were "String & Son" rolls from one of the distributors - - which makes it that more amazing. Somebody may still have broken open Mint sets or similar, but then they would have had to have been dumped into Coinstar or a bank change machine, made their way to this middleman, and all made it together into my rolls - - OR they received shipments the Mint had been sitting on for a decade?!

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

-- Dave B)

P.S. I DID start out as a kid, and have a decent sized collection ...... just didn't know back then or in time to go after the VALUABLE stuff!! :o:(

• Options

Wish me luck!!! Went to a different branch, where they've still known me for a very long time...been a while since I've seen any customer rolls...she said an older lady just brought them in...that's either very promising or...not, lol!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Good Luck, dude. Pick some SILVER. B)

• Options

@Kurisu Best of luck 😎

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file