Home U.S. Coin Forum

How coins get distributed from the Mint...I'm only 5 miles from the Denver Mint...

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2021 10:33AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I was going to post this in the coin roll hunting thread but @CoinscratchFever fever and I were having a little discussion about this and I thought this was interesting information.

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/how-coins-are-made-bringing-coins-into-circulation

It does in fact seem that my Chase branches are getting some of the coins coming right from the mint into the coin vending services (Loomis is what I'm always seeing from Chase).

...The Mint makes the new pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters for circulation.
-Mint transports the coins to the Federal Reserve Banks.
-Armored cars and trucks take the coins from the Philadelphia or Denver Mint facilities to the Reserve Banks’ 28 branch offices and more than 100 private sector coin terminals. The coin terminals are operated by armored carrier services contracted by the Federal Reserve.
-Federal Reserve Banks distribute to depository institutions.
-The Reserve Banks’ depository institutions place orders for coins. The armored carriers transport the coins from the coin terminals to the depository institutions.
-The coins enter circulation and cycle between banks, businesses, and people.
-The depository institutions place the new coins in circulation by exchanging them with their customers, both businesses and individuals. They also give the coins to other banks that aren’t depository institutions with the Reserve Banks.
...The new coins then become part of the circulation cycle.

Some coins I got yesterday from a favorite teller at Chase who told me she had some new looking rolls, but not 2021...yet!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

I'm only about 15 miles from the Philly Mint, so it's about 99.9% "P" mints in circulation here. There used to be a fed window near Independence Mall & the Philly Mint back a decade or more when I still worked downtown, which my co-workers & I used to walk to at lunch to get state quarter rolls as they were each released. They closed that down sometime in 2000 or 2001, I believe. Oh, the memories!............

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

We reserve the Official Coin Roll hunting finds thread for real finds :D
    And close calls but no parking lot trash allowed there, lol.

• SenateSaloonSenateSaloon Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

When the Denver Mint store is open (I assume it’s closed now due to Covid) you can go in and not only buy various precious metal coins and sets but they also have a simple quarter change machine (like you’d see at a laundromat) where you can exchange your old bills for some brand new quarters. I’ve gotten some early arrival quarters there in the past.

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SenateSaloon said:
    When the Denver Mint store is open (I assume it’s closed now due to Covid) you can go in and not only buy various precious metal coins and sets but they also have a simple quarter change machine (like you’d see at a laundromat) where you can exchange your old bills for some brand new quarters. I’ve gotten some early arrival quarters there in the past.

Yup still closed...can't wait until it's part of our new normal...it'll be a while. But it is a wonderful place to visit! During college in the early 90's I lived just a few blocks away!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Philly and 'P' coins are the predominant coins I see in change. But, in an odd turn of events, a good number of 2020-D Roosevelt dimes have shown up in my change in recent weeks, far more than any new Denver coin I've seen before. Scratching my head over why this might be, 'cause I haven't found a single 2020-D Jeff nickel yet, and maybe one 2020-D Lincoln cent.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2021 1:53PM

@Kurisu said:

-Federal Reserve Banks distribute to depository institutions.
    -The Reserve Banks’ depository institutions place orders for coins. The armored carriers transport the coins from the coin terminals to the depository institutions.
    -The coins enter circulation and cycle between banks, businesses, and people.

Note that the armored carriers get new coins from coin terminals only as needed. They are constantly picking up and re-wrapping older existing coins. They will obtain new coins and get them into circulation with their deliveries of boxed rolls to their customers when their supply of older coins runs low. This means that if estimates for new coins into the future were high thrn new coins are piling up at the terminals. This will result in an adjustment in new coin production estimates to keep the pile at the terminal to a minimum.

I've been getting quite a few sealed boxes of rolled coins from my local bank branches for the past year. The new coins normally appear only in a box that is nothing but new coins. Often there will be a few older coins in the new coin rolls that were left in the rolling tub when the new coins got dumped in. On average I only see one box of new coins out of every 25 boxes. But, when one branch gives me a new box there usually more new boxes at other branches on the carrier's route.

The only way to make an economic system truly stable is to permit the free market to take over.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in New Hope, Bucks Co Pa and the Wawa here is serviced by Garda. They fill their change machines with rolls of new 2021 coins. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here in mid NYS, Catskill Mountains... I see mainly Philadelphia mint coins... though probably 15 percent Denver... and it goes in cycles. Have yet to see a W quarter, or even hear of one in this area. I have several friends (non-collectors) watching for them....Cheers, RickO

I see of course mostly D's in my rolls but plenty of P's as well, new and old. I see very few circulated S's and zero new ones.
    Now I'm remembering in the late 70's when I first started roll searching with friends in North East Indiana seeing an S was like finding gold!

Coins are Neato!

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to periodically scope out the BEP gift shop (in Washington DC) to locate numismatic items that would be of interest to resell (of course with a mark-up). Anything of interest at the other US Mint/BEP gift shops? I used be an uncut currency sheet reseller with the BEP supplying my inventory.

@DrDarryl said:
    I used to periodically scope out the BEP gift shop (in Washington DC) to locate numismatic items that would be of interest to resell (of course with a mark-up). Anything of interest at the other US Mint/BEP gift shops? I used be an uncut currency sheet reseller with the BEP supplying my inventory.

I'll let you know after the Denver Mint shop opens back up...They were arguably darn smart and ahead of the curve when they closed the shop and tours mid last March.
    I'm guessing they won't be one of the first things to re-open either, and I'm good with that :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭

Namvet69: My wife stops at Wawa for coffee, and brings home her change for me to check thru. They seem to be my go-to source for recent 2020 coins as well - - WAY more that I'm seeing in rolls I get from my bank!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file