Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card of the Day

Comments

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

This was a TTM (Through The Mail) that I received back in 2018 after several attempts. Was very happy to get this one back - especially due to his age. Auto is very shaky which is sad to see.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Nothing better than:

• a buddy giving up a scarce card period
    • getting it signed while visiting a tournament
    • sending pics of him signing it
    • expecting nothing in return

There are some really great people in this hobby and I'm proud to call several of them friends.

You're one of those great people Kyle. You know what I'm talking about. ;)

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    This is my card of the day.

Great looking Wilt. I never get tired of seeing it.

Bobby, that card would not look out of place in an 7.5 holder. Beautiful copy.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

For a small school I have very high expectations for the friars this year. Here is a card from when I was in high school and they made a memorable run to the elite 8.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chad you know I love that Shammgod and I love our Friars! I really hope Diallo has a big year.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    For a small school I have very high expectations for the friars this year. Here is a card from when I was in high school and they made a memorable run to the elite 8.

Great card, Chad. I actually played against his high school a few times. Fun fact about Shamgod Wells (as he was called back then) is that he was high school teammates with Ron Artest (who also changed his name, to Metta World Peace) at LaSalle Academy. LaSalle Academy went on to win the NY CHSAA title my senior year - we lost to them in the quarterfinals.

I wish that undersized point guard (Shamgod) had stayed in college longer; his game needed a little more polish.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@eagles33 said:

Great card, Chad. I actually played against his high school a few times. Fun fact about Shamgod Wells (as he was called back then) is that he was high school teammates with Ron Artest (who also changed his name, to Metta World Peace) at LaSalle Academy. LaSalle Academy went on to win the NY CHSAA title my senior year - we lost to them in the quarterfinals.

I wish that undersized point guard (Shamgod) had stayed in college longer; his game needed a little more polish.

Thank you for remembering his name was Shammgod Wells! And yes, I said at the time and always maintained that it was a huge mistake for him to come out 2 years early.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

My first T206, a gift in the CU Secret Santa years ago. I love the yellow on this card. I eventually collected the whole Providence team set.

Yaz Master Set

@DBesse27 said:
    My first T206, a gift in the CU Secret Santa years ago. I love the yellow on this card. I eventually collected the whole Providence team set.

Is there still a CU Secret Santa?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Fascinating cards! <3 that Staubach!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 89 Fleer Griffey Buyback auto is so cool and the Staubach is just gorgeous!

Today I went with another classic MJ insert.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

I purchased this card raw on eBay a few years ago for a couple of bucks and happened to get it signed IP before he went on to Milwaukee and become a star.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nod to @DBesse27 on this, the 51st anniversary of Gino's 1000th career point!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still a big fan of mid-90's Pinnacle products

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked this one up recently. Garvey collectors will know how scarce this one is.

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

I always love sharing this oddball card:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

still crack up at this email every time i see a pic of gritty.

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

1997 Score Regional Team

Each of the 150 different Regional Team cards are available in the following parallels.
    Platinum Team
    Premier Team
    Based on calculations, there are roughly 137 Premier cards and 711 Platinum cards per player.

@MLBdays said:
    @wrestlingcardking ...I'm tempted to begin collectin' those awesome wrestling cards.....

The viewpoint on wrestling cards have changed over the years.....low supply compared to other sports and so many of those guys from the 1980s are a huge part of our childhood. It's fun and you do not have to complete against a lot of different brands and or insets, etc. I really do not collect much past 2000 except for a few things but the 80s and early 1990s is pretty fun. I actually have a lot of early wrestling stuff from the 1800s and even the Parkhurst wrestling sets in the 1950s. People just don't know who most of those wrestlers are though. Thanks for the post.

Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Speaking of PC point guards
    @1951WheatiesPremium @eagles33

Yaz Master Set

Happy Veteran's Day to all!

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

• burghmanburghman Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Took a chance on a really strong looking raw OPC set on eBay and just got this one back from PSA - was expecting a 7 so I'm very happy with the results.

Jim

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
    edited November 11, 2019 3:00PM

Today’s pick inspired by the Neil Young tune playing when the truck cranked up this am:

Born this day in 1891! He finished 12th in the league's MVP voting is 1933 at the age of 41 despite hitting .218 with 104 hits and no homers. My how things have changed.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'

1998 Donruss
    Production Line
    Power Index is exclusive to Series One Hobby packs, Slugging to retail, and On-Base to Jumbo packs.

"Marvelous" Marv! In 1962 he hit a triple against the Cubs but Ernie Banks yelled for the ball and the umpire then touched second and said to Marv that you missed the base. Out came manager Casey Stengel to argue but the ump stopped him and said "no use Casey he missed first too"

edited November 12, 2019 9:04PM

1930 Sweet Acres #36 RH Bettington

• thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    This is my card of the day.

This is just awesome. It's also precisely the kind of card that makes it very difficult to remain focused. Makes me want to go hunt for every great looking mid grade cornerstone card that has nothing to do with the sets I'm trying to complete. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

Anyways - thanks for sharing

Been a Fan of Alice
    since the beginning

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

Really like the 72 Dan Gable never saw it before
    Nice Roger in a 10
    Nice Gino. I think Al has more nice inscriptions on afl players than I have cards.

The 61 Wilt. Nice. Maybe some day for me Ill get one.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@DBesse27 said:
    Speaking of PC point guards
    @1951WheatiesPremium @eagles33

Solid college player, hows he doing in the NBA? Don’t watch much NBA...