Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card of the Day

Comments

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, there's a lot of great picks today. I'm going with a 93 Holojams insert.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Looks like the market has finally caught on to the difficulty of finding this card. I've been blown away by the recent auction closes for raw and what the current one has been bid up to ...

A tough 2nd year UK magazine issue, back from a recent sub.

Shouldn't that be "Perforated" not "Hand Cut"?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

Yes, the pop report is a mess on this set.

• Options

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

A card I thought would kill two birds, I could add both Evers and Chance at once to my HOF players collection. But they said no. Then I requested a new set be added for Hall Of Famers that had cards only during their playing time as I do not like to be lumped in with collectors who buy a $2.00 card of Babe Ruth and it counts in the set. They said no. Now I will ask for a HOF set with only players that played in MLB. I wonder what answer I would get. Anyway...

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    Looks like the market has finally caught on to the difficulty of finding this card. I've been blown away by the recent auction closes for raw and what the current one has been bid up to ...

Ive caught a uk tiger by his toes!

• Options

@artee said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Ive caught a uk tiger by his toes!

Awesome, looks like a solid 7, maybe 8, and it's got the bottom nick in the right place, but not as pronounced as my copy.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    This is a card I don’t own anymore. Not by choice either. I sent it in for a review about two years after I purchased and came back altered. Apparently someone tried to whiten up the left side if I recall and it wasn’t caught on the initial sub. Sucks too. I loved this card. Got a refund back but only for what I paid for originally, not the then going rate which was even more unfortunate because the card certainly had risen in price by that time. I need to pick up another copy eventually.

Curious - how did you or they know what you paid for the card? I always assumed the guarantee would give something approaching SMR.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Planned to post this yesterday for Halloween, but couldn't locate my scan ...

That's because it's a ghost.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2019 12:29PM

@JoeBanzai said:
    That's because it's a ghost.

Probably had more to do with never adding it to my registry and complete disorganization of my scans otherwise ;)

Around the world with Babe, she's in Finland today ...

I really need to remedy the fact that there's no player registry for her one of these days. Pop 1, total.

• Options

babe yastrzemski didrikson zarathrusta, III. but you can call me al.

could only imagine the compilation set requests of additions, subtractions and merging going on with that set.

definitely worthy though!

• Options

@artee said:

could only imagine the compilation set requests of additions, subtractions and merging going on with that set.

The eBay search string "(babe,mildred) (didrikson,didrickson,diedrikson,zaharias)" :D

• Options
    edited November 6, 2019 2:13PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@artee said:

The eBay search string "(babe,mildred) (didrikson,didrickson,diedrikson,zaharias)" :D

Very few of us have experienced the joys that coincide with creating, constantly adding & evolving, re-spell checking and then actually adding an intentional misspelled name for that exact ebay “saved search” criteria.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice Rookie card from the modern end of my collection. This dude could pitch. Filthy arsenal and rose to the occasion - big time. I wonder if we get three in a row without El Duque in the mix.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    A nice Rookie card from the modern end of my collection. This dude could pitch. Filthy arsenal and rose to the occasion - big time. I wonder if we get three in a row without El Duque in the mix.

That was not what I was expecting when I saw your name as 'Most recent' ;)

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Time for a Bob Hope rookie ...

Awesome card! I didn't even know a card like this even existed! From 1939 too!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@magicpapa said:
    Yes, Another...………….

1999 Upper Deck
    Upper Deck had Ken Griffey, Jr. autograph 100 copies of his landmark 1989 Upper Deck card, and inserted them into Series One packs. To differentiate this card from an ordinary 89 UD card (and to confirm the authenticity of Griffey's autograph), each card contained an additional hologram.

I love the nice clean perfect signature on that one. I have had my eyes on an auto 89 UD for a bit now. Something to add to my PSA grade run. That one in a PSA case is what I need! Thanks for posting.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Dude, had a heart attack recently and walked himself to the hospital........

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

Plus, he’s always feeling Randy! 😉

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Burn Baby Bern
    1998 Super Rave

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

Curious - how did you or they know what you paid for the card? I always assumed the guarantee would give something approaching SMR.

You would think so right ...but no. I told them the amount I paid after they asked and then they requested a letter from the seller saying that he purchased from someone else and that he sold to me at such and such price. I'll just say lesson learned if that scenario ever happens again.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2019 9:12AM

@Vagabond said:

@brad31 said:

You would think so right ...but no. I told them the amount I paid after they asked and then they requested a letter from the seller saying that he purchased from someone else and that he sold to me at such and such price. I'll just say lesson learned if that scenario ever happens again.

Wow - I have no records like that. Had no idea that was expected. Thanks for answering me,

Now to keep with the spirit of the thread - here is a card of the day from me. Love the multi-player cards. Hard to beat this pair.

• Options

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that inscription, Todd!

One of my favorite TTM returns, from a truly elite ball player. I love the look of the blue ink on this card.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Thanks, Dan. And I love your '59 Kaline! The blue signature is perfect!

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fresh back from PSA today. Will probably send for the dual grading at some point to get rid of the God awful "Trading Card". Also, not sure why they slabbed it as "Billy". Oh well, super excited to have it and thanks to board member Ironmanfan!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I was able to obtain this 1988 Big Mac Fleer card signed on his last year as the Bench Coach for the Padres. He was actually really nice. Probably my favorite in-person auto I ever got up to now just because of how much I loved him as a player when I was a kid.

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Fresh back from PSA today. Will probably send for the dual grading at some point to get rid of the God awful "Trading Card". Also, not sure why they slabbed it as "Billy". Oh well, super excited to have it and thanks to board member Ironmanfan!!

Where I grew up, we all called it the ‘Billy Ripken F******e Card’ so maybe there’s some east coast humor involved. Be funny if you could swap out the word ‘trading’ for the censored word above. I know I’d pay up for that slab!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

Where I grew up, we all called it the ‘Billy Ripken F******e Card’ so maybe there’s some east coast humor involved. Be funny if you could swap out the word ‘trading’ for the censored word above. I know I’d pay up for that slab!

I would be fine if they tagged it as "F*ckface" as it's known. I would NOT be happy and have always hated when it's been referred to as the "RickFace" error.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

I would be fine if they tagged it as "F*ckface" as it's known. I would NOT be happy and have always hated when it's been referred to as the "RickFace" error.

PSA labels it as 'FF Error'.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Happy 81st birthday Jim Kaat! The last player from the fifties (1959-1983 )!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell Waltrip 1983 Uno rookie card

• Options

@artee said:
    Today’s pick hails from the baseball card villians site.

Worth a google for some cheap laughs if not familiar

Bday day. Pick this one accordingly:

All that and they didn't even give him an eye patch.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@artee said:
    Today’s pick hails from the baseball card villians site.

Worth a google for some cheap laughs if not familiar

Bday day. Pick this one accordingly:

All that and they didn't even give him an eye patch.

Yet! 😎

• Options

Today's groovy pick is another from my future grading pile.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Love that inscription, Todd!

One of my favorite TTM returns, from a truly elite ball player. I love the look of the blue ink on this card.

That is a great looking auto of one the all-time Tiger greats.

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Nice sig ...

Nice EVERYTHING!

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2019 3:12AM

1998 Pinnacle Performers
    Swing for the Fences
    Swing for the Fences Upgrade card
    Swing for the Fences Shop Exchange Card

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

@MikeyP said:
    My Reggie Jackson Rookie Card has officially been put to shame. Incredible.

No way, @MikeyP !!!

That Reggie is HOT - great centering!

I was thinking the same thing - displays way better than a 7.5

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not particularly rare, but these are my 2 favorite QBs in the NFL today.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Today I went with something shiny,a 96 Stadium Club High Risers.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shame on me for not posting Joe Louis card. Here is one of my favorites.

• Options

• Options

Much more in line with expectations ;)