Home U.S. Coin Forum

Resources: Books-Links to read on numismatic series, errors, and varieties

13»

Comments

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mega Red Book 1st Edition (printed 2015) expanded focus on Half Cents and Large Cents
    Mega Red Book 2nd Edition (printed 2016) expanded focus on Flying, Indian, Lincoln Cents
    Mega Red Book 3rd Edition (printed 2017 ) expanded focus on Shield, Liberty, Buffalo, Jefferson Nickels
    Mega Red Book 4th Edition (printed 2018) expanded focus on Dimes
    Mega Red Book 5th Edition (printed 2019) expanded focus on Quarters
    Mega Red Book 6th Edition (printed 2020) expanded focus on Half Dollars

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• cccoinscccoins Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

@HashTag said:

The Confident Carson City Coin Collector
    by Rusty Goe
    3 volumes, 2500+ pages and 21lbs.

Just received them today as I live in Texas.
    If you’ve read any of the many publications or books by Mr. Goe I’m sure you’ll gain a wealth of knowledge from this set. My plans are to read them this week cover to cover to cover to....I’ll let you know just how fantastic they are after reading them.

My copy arrived yesterday. What an amazing set!

• 1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen the new 3 volume set from I believe Amos Publishing on the subject of the Carson City Mint and its coins? Priced around $300 so want to make sure it merits that expenditure. Any thoughts welcomed.

• opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 8:40AM

sold out by me

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

Making the Grade by Coin World is a must have book.

It covers every series in detail. The section on statehood and territorial quarters alone, make for tremendous value.

Outlines in color the highpoint (as in strike) of both the obverse and reverse so to look for weakness in strike or circulation.

Then it also highlights in red, orange, green etc... where to look when grading and what multiplier to use for deductions

I have bought nearly every grading book ever written.

NCI Grading Guide by Halperin is very good and similar, but this is updated.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

The So-Called Dollar Book has a second edition now. Updated prices also, as I have heard some complaints about too high prices in the first edition. Don't know where I stand on that, but still have both books.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2021 3:26PM

Anybody remember the thread here in the forums a couple of years ago about a brass piece that looked like an undated Seated Liberty Quarter but with strangely concave fields? It is in Judd and has traditionally dated to about 1840? I know one of the previous owners, and tried to buy it from him without luck. It fascinated me.

Well, I was amazed to see it in Roger Burdette's new book "Fads, Fakes & Foibles," where Roger convincingly attributed it to 1857 and the pre-Civil War experiments with very thin and/or concave coinage to discourage crooks from hollowing out gold and silver coins. The book covers a wide range of 19th Century experimental pieces. I highly recommend the book. Here is a press release on it:

PRESS/MEDIA RELEASE

For Release June 15, 2021

Seneca Mill Press LLC proudly announces release of the latest numismatic book by Roger W. Burdette:
    Fads, Fakes & Foibles.
    Most nineteenth century Americans thought of coins and currency in two practical ways: a concern that their pieces of coin or paper currency would be accepted by merchants for purchases and a desire to have more.
    For those few involved in economic policy and politics, other, more esoteric aspects of coinage were of concern. Their three principal subjects were prevention of adulteration or counterfeiting, direct equivalence of international gold coins, and use of metric weights for coins. Underlying each of these were certain economic assumptions and profit opportunities that pushed governments toward decisions.
    Adulteration and counterfeiting were of concern to all because bad coins meant that merchants and banks would reject the money a person offered in payment. In this regard, it must be remembered that gold coins were simply convenient tokens containing a certain weight of pure gold. Banks and merchants could, and occasionally did, reject legitimate gold coins because they appeared heavily worn or were lighter than official standards. This was the focus of James T. Barclay and his obsession with preventing degradation of the national coinage.
    Nickel mining maven Joseph Wharton went to great lengths to promote alloys of nickel and copper for minor coins valued up to ten cents. Here, he cracked skulls with persistent mint officers who thought of base metal coins only as temporary Civil War substitutes for silver dimes and half dimes.
    Businessman Dana Bickford, alternatively, was concerned with the ability of travelers to easily know the value of their American money in certain European currencies. His idea for a gold international coin was not intended as a standard of value, but as an equivalency calculator. His changes were of design, not content although much of the work was facilitated by George Dunning, former Superintendent of the New York Assay Office.
    Silver producers of the 1870s wanted to stop the decline in silver value compared to gold. Others wanted a bimetallic standard so that gold and silver would circulate equally. Backers of standard international coinage wanted to follow principles of the Latin Monetary Union and have the gold coins of all major nations exactly equal one another. Further, many idealists across the world wanted all coin weights expressed in grams of pure gold or silver and coin diameters and weights to be whole numbers. Here we find Wheeler Hubbell proposing a bimetallic coinage alloy and U.S. coins of metric weight. He was neither first not last to advocate these measures, but was certainly the one most favored by a Congressional committee. Nicholas Veeder, on the other hand, wanted not an alloy but a mechanical union of the two metals much like modern bimetallic coins.
    Others proposed to protect coins by adding an iron ring, or striking pieces with one or more holes to permit a convenient diameter while aiding the blind in identifying a coin’s value.
    Fads, Fakes & Foibles brings together a strange crew of idealists and opportunists – creators of the best known, but little understood coinage proposals. The author, building on original archival sources separates fact from fancy while providing today’s collectors with a delightful journey through some of the oddest coinage proposals ever made.
    Fads, Fakes & Foibles is available from Wizard Coin Supply (www.wizardcoinsupply.com‎). Cover price for the 8½x11-inch book containing 273 full color pages is $29.95. Purchasers may also request a complete digital index edition at no cost. This will facilitate subject searches and provides a convenient copy for use on smart phones, tablets, and similar portable devices.

Edited to add: Here is the piece in question. Judd-110. Looks like Judd was wrong and Adams-Woodin were right.
    https://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net/j110p123.html

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luscious leftovers is an apt description of Roger's new book, "Fads, Fakes & Foibles". It is the accumulation from many years of archival research resulting in many interesting sideline stories he discovered in his travails, and now packaged together in this book. I recall Roger stowing away information over 5 years ago when we were researching the NARA, and it is now included in the first chapter on Dr. Barclay's experimental coinage. His research on other chapters goes back even more years. You won't find this stuff written about anywhere else. Great book, great price.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all the recommendations here, especially those with a huge working knowledge of numismatics like Burdette and Bowers, too bad they didn't team up on a major book. We have a lot of books that were more marketing ventures than erudite discussions of coins. In another hobby I read hundreds of chess books on every aspect of the game, but the books that had a historical perspective were among the most interesting.

There is no way to separate numismatics from US history and would like to see more books such as Burdette has written.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HashTag said:

The Confident Carson City Coin Collector
    by Rusty Goe
    3 volumes, 2500+ pages and 21lbs.

Just received them today as I live in Texas.
    If you’ve read any of the many publications or books by Mr. Goe I’m sure you’ll gain a wealth of knowledge from this set. My plans are to read them this week cover to cover to cover to....I’ll let you know just how fantastic they are after reading them.

My copy arrived yesterday. Wow, what a book and the research is phenomenal!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I highly recommend any book by Roger Burdette. He knows his stuff and his books are highly entertaining, too.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can look around but I only think there may be one book left for sale at NICS. There were two books I found while at the WFoM 8/11/2021... but I bought this one so there is only one left (maybe).

• T

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839

Standard Edition

“Buy the book before the coin.” Sage advice if there is a book to buy. Every coin series in U.S. history has a book dedicated to it except one, Classic Gold. Minted from 1834 to 1839 and falling between the series of the old standard preceding it and the newer series that followed, Classic Gold quarter eagles and half eagles are betwixt and between. No comprehensive and authoritative reference guide has been written about these beautifully designed coins. Their story has never been told, until now.
    United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839, a book written by Daryl J. Haynor, presents information about every aspect of the Classic Gold quarter eagle and half eagle series that a collector needs to knowledgeably and confidently collect them. The work assembles for the first time a complete die marriage listing for every date in each series, emission sequencing, and a detailed system for identifying marriages with high quality color photographs. Rarity ratings of each die marriage are given, backed by an exhaustive search of thousands of records of gold coin sales.
    The book includes an analysis of the characteristics of Classic Gold coins by date, including luster, color, strike, and other die characteristics. It provides estimates of the survivors of each date broken down by grade ranges based on statistical analysis of third- party population reports and auctions. It also documents reasons why several official mintage figures of the U.S. Mint need to be adjusted.
    Mr. Haynor has conducted an exhaustive study of the finest examples of each date, and a condition census list with detailed provenance records is included. In many cases this information will be published for the first time. Most listings include high quality color photos.
    But Classic Gold is much more than a reference book. The 1830’s was perhaps the most dynamic decade in the history of the U.S. Mint, and economically one the most traumatic for the country. The book explores the economic and political context of the 1830's by "following the money" through these turbulent times, including President Jackson's push for a bimetallic monetary system, the Second Bank Wars and its ultimate demise, and changing the gold standard. It chronicles the role of the gold in French indemnity payments, the relocation of Native Americans, and the Panic of 1837. And it explores U.S. Mint operations which went through big changes during that decade, including the introduction of the steam toggle press, the opening of the new Philadelphia Mint, Christian Gobrecht’s arrival as Engraver, and the construction of branch mints in Charlotte, Dahlonega, and New Orleans.
    Classic Gold coinage was the tool Jackson used to implement his financial policy based on specie. It was the first coinage under a new gold standard, the first to create a public uproar over the omission of E PLURIBUS UNUM on U.S. coinage, the first coinage struck at the Branch Mints, and the first U.S coinage with a mintmark on the obverse.
    The historic section of the book is based on hundreds of hours of research involving documents probably never read by anyone with a numismatic interest for two hundred years. The book includes facsimiles of many exciting and never before published archival documents such as a new allegorical drawing by Engraver William Kneass of Miss Liberty, a letter from President Andrew Jackson accepting the first Classic Head gold coin minted, and Gold Bullion Mint Certificate No. 1 issued by the Charlotte Mint on the first day of operations.
    Classic Gold includes many other documents for the first time, including those surrounding the striking of rare Proof Classic Gold coins. The book includes an analysis of these coins, detailing their provenance and telling stories of some of their most famous collectors, featuring the King of Siam Presentation Set which is perhaps the most famous and most valuable set of U.S. coinage ever assembled.
    The book will debunk some widely accepted tales of numismatic history that are not accurate, but are “numislore”, that: old tenor gold was melted in masses by the U.S. Mint as a result of changing the gold standard in 1834; E PLURIBUS UNUM was removed, as well as the cap from Miss Liberty, in order to distinguish the change in weight of U.S. gold coins; in 1835 Christian Gobrecht took over all activities as engraver after the debilitating illness of William Kneass.
    This work contains valuable materials gathered by John McCloskey, respected author of works on other coin series, whose ground-breaking articles about Classic Gold aroused Mr. Haynor’s interest. Mr. McCloskey researched Classic Gold for over twenty years. He discovered and reported new die marriages, and many had been eagerly awaiting his book. Unfortunately, Mr. McCloskey passed away in 2018, but his family has generously turned his materials over to Mr. Haynor. His seminal research will be acknowledged and memorialized through the naming regime of die marriages detailed in the book.
    Professional Coin Grading Services (PCGS) and the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) have adopted the HM (Haynor-McCloskey) attribution system and will attribute Classic Gold coins submitted through their services. Stack’s Bowers and Heritage Auctions now attribute their auction listings using the HM system.
    Mr. Haynor has been an avid collector for decades. He has compiled a collection of Classic Gold that is the finest ever known, and is near completion of the first ever collection to include every die marriage in both series. He would have found a book like this one invaluable, but none existed. Instead he was compelled to undertake a rewarding but at times arduous research over twelve years into all aspects of Classic Gold. He is now prepared to pass on this knowledge in one comprehensive work so that collectors finally will be able to “buy the book before the coin.”
    The hardbound book is 368 pages in length, printed in full color with over 700 full color high-resolution illustrations. United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839 by Daryl J. Haynor, with John W. McCloskey, is available from Wizard Coin Supply at Wizardcoinsupply.com. The book is priced at $95, but is now available for a limited time at a discounted pre-release price.
    A limited-edition leatherette version of only 75 copies is priced at $195 but also available at a pre-release price.
    For more information, or to order, see: United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839 (https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/united-states-classic-gold-coins-of-1834-1839)

Deluxe Edition

This is an incredible resource that I go to with every Classic Head gold coin I am considering for purchase. The attention to detail is amazing. The photo quality makes if very easy for this novice to match coins in hand to each variety. Well done Mr. Haynor. This book is an instant classic of Classic's. Thank you for the countless hours this must have taken and your dedication to these two series (Quarter Eagle and Half Eagle Classic Head Gold).

• Can anyone tell me how this works I have some coins would love to know if I have ones that are worth anything at all in this hard times.pleass and thank you so much

@Powers6969 said:
    Can anyone tell me how this works I have some coins would love to know if I have ones that are worth anything at all in this hard times.pleass and thank you so much

You have posted this in the book thread and it will not be seen by very many people. I would suggest starting a new thread (not in this book thread) and ask for help with the coins you have. You will be asked to post photos of the coins. That is the only way someone can tell you values of what you have.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@Ronyahski said:

United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839

Standard Edition

“Buy the book before the coin.” Sage advice if there is a book to buy. Every coin series in U.S. history has a book dedicated to it except one, Classic Gold. Minted from 1834 to 1839 and falling between the series of the old standard preceding it and the newer series that followed, Classic Gold quarter eagles and half eagles are betwixt and between. No comprehensive and authoritative reference guide has been written about these beautifully designed coins. Their story has never been told, until now.
    United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839, a book written by Daryl J. Haynor, presents information about every aspect of the Classic Gold quarter eagle and half eagle series that a collector needs to knowledgeably and confidently collect them. The work assembles for the first time a complete die marriage listing for every date in each series, emission sequencing, and a detailed system for identifying marriages with high quality color photographs. Rarity ratings of each die marriage are given, backed by an exhaustive search of thousands of records of gold coin sales.
    The book includes an analysis of the characteristics of Classic Gold coins by date, including luster, color, strike, and other die characteristics. It provides estimates of the survivors of each date broken down by grade ranges based on statistical analysis of third- party population reports and auctions. It also documents reasons why several official mintage figures of the U.S. Mint need to be adjusted.
    Mr. Haynor has conducted an exhaustive study of the finest examples of each date, and a condition census list with detailed provenance records is included. In many cases this information will be published for the first time. Most listings include high quality color photos.
    But Classic Gold is much more than a reference book. The 1830’s was perhaps the most dynamic decade in the history of the U.S. Mint, and economically one the most traumatic for the country. The book explores the economic and political context of the 1830's by "following the money" through these turbulent times, including President Jackson's push for a bimetallic monetary system, the Second Bank Wars and its ultimate demise, and changing the gold standard. It chronicles the role of the gold in French indemnity payments, the relocation of Native Americans, and the Panic of 1837. And it explores U.S. Mint operations which went through big changes during that decade, including the introduction of the steam toggle press, the opening of the new Philadelphia Mint, Christian Gobrecht’s arrival as Engraver, and the construction of branch mints in Charlotte, Dahlonega, and New Orleans.
    Classic Gold coinage was the tool Jackson used to implement his financial policy based on specie. It was the first coinage under a new gold standard, the first to create a public uproar over the omission of E PLURIBUS UNUM on U.S. coinage, the first coinage struck at the Branch Mints, and the first U.S coinage with a mintmark on the obverse.
    The historic section of the book is based on hundreds of hours of research involving documents probably never read by anyone with a numismatic interest for two hundred years. The book includes facsimiles of many exciting and never before published archival documents such as a new allegorical drawing by Engraver William Kneass of Miss Liberty, a letter from President Andrew Jackson accepting the first Classic Head gold coin minted, and Gold Bullion Mint Certificate No. 1 issued by the Charlotte Mint on the first day of operations.
    Classic Gold includes many other documents for the first time, including those surrounding the striking of rare Proof Classic Gold coins. The book includes an analysis of these coins, detailing their provenance and telling stories of some of their most famous collectors, featuring the King of Siam Presentation Set which is perhaps the most famous and most valuable set of U.S. coinage ever assembled.
    The book will debunk some widely accepted tales of numismatic history that are not accurate, but are “numislore”, that: old tenor gold was melted in masses by the U.S. Mint as a result of changing the gold standard in 1834; E PLURIBUS UNUM was removed, as well as the cap from Miss Liberty, in order to distinguish the change in weight of U.S. gold coins; in 1835 Christian Gobrecht took over all activities as engraver after the debilitating illness of William Kneass.
    This work contains valuable materials gathered by John McCloskey, respected author of works on other coin series, whose ground-breaking articles about Classic Gold aroused Mr. Haynor’s interest. Mr. McCloskey researched Classic Gold for over twenty years. He discovered and reported new die marriages, and many had been eagerly awaiting his book. Unfortunately, Mr. McCloskey passed away in 2018, but his family has generously turned his materials over to Mr. Haynor. His seminal research will be acknowledged and memorialized through the naming regime of die marriages detailed in the book.
    Professional Coin Grading Services (PCGS) and the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) have adopted the HM (Haynor-McCloskey) attribution system and will attribute Classic Gold coins submitted through their services. Stack’s Bowers and Heritage Auctions now attribute their auction listings using the HM system.
    Mr. Haynor has been an avid collector for decades. He has compiled a collection of Classic Gold that is the finest ever known, and is near completion of the first ever collection to include every die marriage in both series. He would have found a book like this one invaluable, but none existed. Instead he was compelled to undertake a rewarding but at times arduous research over twelve years into all aspects of Classic Gold. He is now prepared to pass on this knowledge in one comprehensive work so that collectors finally will be able to “buy the book before the coin.”
    The hardbound book is 368 pages in length, printed in full color with over 700 full color high-resolution illustrations. United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839 by Daryl J. Haynor, with John W. McCloskey, is available from Wizard Coin Supply at Wizardcoinsupply.com. The book is priced at $95, but is now available for a limited time at a discounted pre-release price.
    A limited-edition leatherette version of only 75 copies is priced at $195 but also available at a pre-release price.
    For more information, or to order, see: United States Classic Gold Coins of 1834-1839 (https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/united-states-classic-gold-coins-of-1834-1839)

Deluxe Edition

This is an incredible resource that I go to with every Classic Head gold coin I am considering for purchase. The attention to detail is amazing. The photo quality makes if very easy for this novice to match coins in hand to each variety. Well done Mr. Haynor. This book is an instant classic of Classic's. Thank you for the countless hours this must have taken and your dedication to these two series (Quarter Eagle and Half Eagle Classic Head Gold).

I am so glad that you find the book useful. Yes, countless hours went into the work behind the scenes, but I would not have done it any other way.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • retirednowretirednow Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very educational on the environment surrounding the evolution of recognizing GOD on our coinage.

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two books that I published shares information of a previously unknown US Mint medal series.

Complementary letter from D. Wayne Johnson, Author: Medallic Reference Literature, Co-Founder: Signature Art Medals, Corporation Historian: Medallic Art Co.

Complementary emails from John T. Dean, Author: National Commemorative Medals of the United States Mint.

Great compliments from Mr. Johnson and Mr. Dean, both medal authors and medal enthusiast.

I donated copies of my second book, published in 2015 to: The Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum and The Richard M. Nixon Presidential Library & Museum. I'm honored to have a book that is part of these presidential libraries.

For the Richard M. Nixon Presidential Library & Museum, I inquired about an appreciation medal that President Eisenhower gifted to then Vice-President Nixon and sent them a draft copy of a chapter from my second book. The draft copy aided the presidential library in understanding the history of the medal. They graciously said that my draft chapter will be part of their historical records. I did them one better and sent a copy of my book once I published it.

I'm working on a third book with updated research findings. One has to remember about this US Mint medal series, I organized, cataloged, named, presented basic numismatic information, and presented specialized numismatic information for the first time, 56-years since the US Mint first struck these medals. The greatest findings from my research were the uncovering the individual medals and their mintages, designers, and destruction inventory, all with records from the National Archives.

One last tidbit. Overlooked? More like discovered.

https://coinweek.com/education/numismatic-books/numismatic-researcher-writes-reference-for-overlooked-united-states-mint-medal-series/?fbclid=IwAR0h-rNNzk-G7_yd2C6H_al_jol_1ZqFhufyJkQb61ktfl3LNeZ5p7zM5M4

There are other individuals who complemented me on these books and I thank them. I would have never imagined that a full-time working engineer (me), as a part-time numismatic researcher.

• opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 8:40AM

Sold out by me

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2022 8:32AM

Special thanks to @LanceNewmanOCC for many hours of work compiling and editing this list for this thread. It was added to the 1st original post under the authors list.
    Thank you Lance, you are a credit to the hobby and this community.

Organized list courtesy of @LanceNewmanOCC
    Comprehensive Sites - 1909-Present
    http://varietyvista.com
    http://doubleddie.com/
    https://koinpro.tripod.com/ - ken potter - scroll down for great info

1/2c
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555403 - NNP: American Half Cents: The "Little Half Sisters" (Second Edition) - Roger S. Cohen, Jr. (1982)

1c
    http://coppercoins.com
    https://early-copper.com/ - looks useful ?
    http://lincolncentresource.com

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/530759 - NNP: The Cent Book: 1816-1839 - Wright, John D. (1992)
    Updates:
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/614807 - Cent Book (1825 N-25 Insert) - Wright, John D. (2022)...
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/614808 - Cent Book (1839 N-5, N-10 Insert) - Wright, John D. (2022)...
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/614809 - Cent Book (Errata) - Wright, John D. (2022)...

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/586931 - NNP: Die Varieties of United States Large Cents - Grellman, John Robert (2020)

2c

3c

H10c
    https://518616078926146539.weebly.com - Capped Bust Half Dimes (on site Weebly) appears someone put together this info and acknowledges at bottom.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555401 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dimes - Al Blythe (1992)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/581451 - NNP: Liberty Seated Half Dime - Top 100 Varieties Set - Cummins, Clint (2020)

5c
    http://shieldnickels.net/
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555394 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Shield & Liberty Head Nickels - Gloria Peters, Cynthia Mohon (1995)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555290 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Buffalo Nickels - David W. Lange (1992)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/526116 - NNP: Buffalo Nickels: The Abraded Die Varieties - Pope, Ron (2006)

10c
    http://richardsrooseveltreview.net/
    http://seateddimevarieties.com/index.htm

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555400 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Dimes - Brian Greer (1992)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555294 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Barber Dimes - David Lawrence (1991)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555399 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes - David W. Lange (1993)

20c
    http://doubledimes.com/Book-cover.html

25c
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555291 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Barber Quarters, Second Edition - David Lawrence (1994)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555293 - NNP - the Complete Guide To Barber Quarters
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555397 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Washington Quarters - John Feigenbaum (1994)

50c
    http://maibockaddict.com - early halves
    http://franklinlover.yolasite.com

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555396 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Liberty Seated Half Dollars - Randy Wiley, Bill Bugert (1993)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/529686 - NNP: A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties, Volume I, San Francisco Branch Mint - Bugert, William B(arton) (2009)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/529687 - NNP: A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties, Volume II, Carson City Branch Mint - Bugert, William B(arton) (2010)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/529688 - NNP: A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollars, Volume III, New Orleans Branch Mint 1840-O to 1853-O NA - Bugert, William B(arton) (2011)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/529689 - NNP: A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties, Volume IV, New Orleans Branch Mint 1853-O WA to 1861-O - Bugert, William B(arton) (2013)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/585798 - NNP: A Register of Liberty Seated Half Dollar Varieties, Volume V - Bugert, William B(arton) (2016)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555292 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Barber Halves - David Lawrence (1991)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/555398 - NNP: The Complete Guide to Franklin Half Dollars: Updated Second Edition - Rick Tomaska (2002)

100c
    http://earlydollars.org/index.asp
    http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/Home
    http://vamworld.com/wiki/Home
    http://smalldollars.com/ - useful, goes here?

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/601210 - NNP: Silver Dollars & Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia Vol. 1 - Q. David Bowers (1993)

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/601211 - NNP: Silver Dollars & Trade Dollars of the United States: A Complete Encyclopedia Vol. 2 - Q. David Bowers (1993)

$1

$2.5

$3

$5

$10

$20
    (1)https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559680 - NNP: Type I Double Eagles, 1850-1866 - Douglas Winter, Adam Crum (2002)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559681 - NNP: Type Two Double Eagles 1866-1876, Second Edition - Douglas Winter, Michael Fuljenz (1999)

Gold By Mint
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559683 - NNP: Gold Coins of the Carson City Mint - Douglas Winter (2001)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559678 - NNP: Gold Coins of the Dahlonega Mint 1838-1861, Second Edition - Douglas Winter (2003)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559677 - NNP: Gold Coins of the New Orleans Mint 1839-1909, Second Edition - Douglas Winter (2006)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559675 - NNP: Gold Coins of the Old West: The Carson City Mint 1870-1893 - Douglas Winter, Lawrence E. Cutler (1994)

Catalogs - Auction, other?

Colonial
    https://coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinContents/Introduction.html
    https://coins.nd.edu/fugio/Newman1-24/ - From Stone's List
    https://coins.nd.edu/title.html

Books/Supplies/
    http://collectorscorner.org
    http://danscoalbumstore.com
    https://abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?vci=53552&vcat=Numismatics&vcatn=Numismatics
    https://amosadvantage.com
    https://coinbooks.org
    https://forums.collectors.com/home/leaving?allowTrusted=1&target=https://brooklyngallery.com/coin-books.html
    https://jakesmp.com/Coin-Supplies_c_790.html
    https://jpscorner.com
    https://numislit.com
    https://valleycoin.com/supplies-books-cd-dvd-s.html
    https://whitman.com/
    https://wizardcoinsupply.com

Coin Info Melt/Size/Weight etc
    https://coinflation.com
    http://coininfo.com

Census Threads on Slab Generations-Various
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/977463/the-official-pcgs-white-label-rattler-census-71-listed-as-of-11-22-19
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/967317/the-new-doily-census-2016

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/785123/ngc-black-slab-census-now-42-documented
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/842362/the-official-ngc-1-0-2-0-and-2-1-slab-population-census-197-2-1s-listed

Counterfeit
    http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
    http://cccbhcc.com

A look at a counterfeit operation
    http://ncna.club/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Counterfeit-Coins-Article.pdf
    https://money.org/uploads/Counterfeit Detection Vol.2.pdf

Counterfeit info/reporting
    http://numismaticcrimes.org
    https://acefonline.org

Counterfeit PCGS slab information
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1075720/the-pcgs-counterfeiters-are-getting-too-good-watch-out

Counterstamps/Maker'sMarks

Errors
    http://cuds-on-coins.com
    http://maddieclashes.com
    http://rotateddies.com
    http://traildies.com
    https://error-ref.com
    https://minterrornews.com/index.html

Hobos
    http://hobonickels.org

Patterns
    https://Uspatterns.com
    https://uspatterns.stores.yahoo.net

SCD?
    https://socalleddollar.com/

Slabs
    https://sampleslabs.com/index.php
    https://coinauctionshelp.com/page16.html
    https://sampleslabs.com

Actual vs PMD
    http://conecaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/StrikeDoublingFlyer-1.pdf
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1008645/error-vs-post-mint-damage

Tokens - CWT, HTT, General
    http://tokencatalog.com/index.php
    http://hardtimestokens.com/HT261HT280.html

World

PCGS LINKS
    https://www.pcgs.com/apps
    https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices - APR
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/stats
    https://www.pcgs.com/grades/
    https://www.pcgs.com/holdermuseum - slab generations
    https://www.pcgs.com/news - new events, special coins, articles, etc
    https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-expands-variety-attribution-service
    https://www.pcgs.com/photograde/
    https://www.pcgs.com/pop
    https://www.pcgs.com/prices
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry
    https://www.pcgs.com/Statistics - graded/crossed/counterfeits etc
    https://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq

MISC NEED SORTED

https://coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=341965 - RPM/OMM
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1008812/making-money-error-vs-pmd
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016608/digital-deception-by-use-of-image-editing-software
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1021539/free-collection-of-digital-numismatic-books-us
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1075720/the-pcgs-counterfeiters-are-getting-too-good-watch-out
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1077119/1-1883-o-over-dip - A thread on over dipped coins.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Special thanks to @LanceNewmanOCC for many hours of work compiling and editing this list for this thread. It was added to the 1st original post under the authors list.
    Thank you Lance, you are a credit to the hobby and this community.

Organized list courtesy of @LanceNewmanOCC

And thanks to you aspie for starting the newest iteration of an extremely useful and much needed compilation of numismatic knowledge and much thanks to the many contributors, especially lilolme for those book links via the NNP and to the NNP for their seemingly compendium of all things nusmismatics; more than any 100 people could hope to absorb/recall in a lifetime.

i really wasn't quite sure how diverse i should go, so feel free to add/remove/edit that list as desired/needed.

i didn't add it to the list but it is probably worth of honorable mention, though i've not used it yet: notefacts, the brother to coinfacts. there are for sure some more pcgs site links to be added, imo but i wasn't able to find/think of them during this weekend project.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2022 11:49AM

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/785122/pcgs-regency-slab-census-updated-january-2021

edited to add: conder101's OLD pcgs generations thread for posterity and recognition of one of the many members to do early work on this forum that is so popular these days.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/222533/as-promised-the-pcgs-generations-with-pictures-very-long-updated-10-27-06

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco
    In the first post we now have a lot of duplication. I essentially updated the entire first post. So when you added it we now have duplication.
    Go down to where you see this and you will notice it is essentially the same as the very top of the post:

You can delete out everything below that except this chart below because it is a duplication of the stuff above.

Keep this chart below

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A brand new 4 book series is available on Half Cents. These limited edition books are hard cover, full color, smyth sewn binding, and top quality in every way. They come fully loaded with updates and valuable information on die varieties, die states, mint errors, grading, attribution, rarity, prices, cherry picking tips, new discoveries, and a whole lot more. Everything is laid out in a clear and concise manner. A must have for novice, advanced, and expert level collectors.

The books can be purchased individually or as a set. The Draped Bust book is $105. The Classic Head & Braided Hair book is $100. The Liberty Caps book is $125. The Errors and Oddities book is $115. Shipping is included with these prices. For ordering information or if you have questions, please contact Ed Fuhrman at: Guitarman68@optonline.net

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ChevyroseChevyrose Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Went for a run today and found this one in the little free library. Lots of beginner information, but also much well researched history

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2023 11:34PM

These are some of my favorite books that I have read and will go back to many times. As you can guess, biased to gold coins. I included an auction catalog because I find them an invaluable source of information -- some already known, some new -- and the HA archives are a great place to get comments on famous, expensive, or rare coins for various types. Many of the comments in the HA archives are from various catalogs over the years/decades.

I would add that the QDB book on LIBERTY HEAD DOUBLE EAGLES (not shown) is very good reading but it is NOT a year-by-year review and analysis of Liberty Head DEs like the Whitman Red Book. But considering its rarity, the author, and the lack of other books on (Liberty Head or Saint) double eagles....if you can find it....buy it. :)

Was just sent this book by a collector friend. Will be a valuable resource as I grow my early gold collection.

• I am pleased to announce the release of my fifth book in the Half Cent Handbook series; The Ultimate Grading Guide. This new book has a soft cover with a spiral binding. It is designed as an affordable and lightweight pocket sized guide (6"X9" format) that collectors can carry. It will help collectors of all levels quickly and easily grade any Half Cent they come across using the EAC (Early American Coppers) method of grading. The guide uses photos from the grading sections in the Handbook series and takes you step by step through the process how to arrive at a proper grade for any Half Cent. The book contains over 500 clear full color photos to assist you in learning to grade. This is the first of two new books containing supplementary material related to the Half Cent Handbook series. This is a limited print run so don't delay in ordering. At this price they won't last long. Please let me know if you'd like to reserve a copy. The book is $30 plus $5 shipping. The book is only available directly from me (the author). For ordering information or if you have any questions, I can be reached via email at: Guitarman68@optonline.net

• flyguyflflyguyfl Posts: 117 ✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    On doubling http://conecaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/StrikeDoublingFlyer-1.pdf

For free information on DDO DDR OMM RPM, die varieties and design varieties.
    http://www.varietyvista.com

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1011843/what-online-resources-do-you-use#latest

Another explanation of RPM/OMM
    https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=341965

Some great advice

@keets said:
    In no particular order:

1. Put some thought towards exactly what your collection will include. Haphazard purchasing will probably lead to a collection which eventually doesn't make sense and has no goal.
    2. Join a club or organization dedicated to your interests, something that will help put you in touch with like-minded collectors.
    3. Consider assembling a library of both general and specific areas of the hobby. Education is the key to success.
    4. Learn how to competently grade whatever it is you collect.
    5. Attend as many shows as possible and look at as many coins as possible, asking questions along the way.
    6. Try to establish a working relationship with at least one dealer.
    7. Find a Mentor. It doesn't matter if that person knows or not, a knowledgeable friend you can speak frankly with and ask help from will prove invaluable.
    8. Specialize in some area which attracts your attention and you seem to enjoy more than all else.
    9. Learn how to sell, don't become emotionally attached to your coins. They will be the source for better items.
    10. Subscribe to a trade related publication, it'll keep you informed and up-to-date on what's news in the hobby.

I hope these help avoid some mistakes I've made.

Al H.

A thread on Doubled Dies
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1074551/info-for-new-members-doubled-dies#latest

A thread on varieties and coin information
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/889137/a-neat-little-list-of-known-us-mint-errors-error-coins#latest

Old to most but New to me a novice. Much helpful info here and many thanks.

• I am pleased to announce the release of my sixth and final book in the Half Cent Handbook series; The Ultimate Attribution Guide. This new book has a soft cover with a spiral binding. It is designed as an affordable and lightweight pocket sized guide (6"X9"format) that collectors can carry. It will help collectors of all levels quickly and easily attribute the die variety of any United States Half Cent minted from 1793-1857. Why is attribution important? Very simply it allows you to determine if your coin is a common, scarce, or rare variety. And since rarity is one of the primary factors that will determine the value of your coin, proper attribution is very important!
    This book uses photos and specific descriptions to guide you step by step through the process of attributing any Half Cent. The book contains hundreds of clear full color photos to assist you in the attribution process. This is the second of two new books containing supplementary material related to the Half Cent Handbook hardcover series. This is a limited print run so don't delay in ordering. Copies are $50 shipped. This book is only available directly from the author. To obtain a copy email Ed Fuhrman at Guitarman68@optonline.net

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just found out that Larry Briggs' Liberty Seated Quarter book is online here:

http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/Briggs/chapters.htm

I've added the link to my attribution resource page.

edited October 27, 2023 8:43AM

Mega Red Book 1st Edition (printed 2015) expanded focus on Half Cents and Large Cents
    Mega Red Book 2nd Edition (printed 2016) expanded focus on Flying, Indian, Lincoln Cents
    Mega Red Book 3rd Edition (printed 2017 ) expanded focus on Shield, Liberty, Buffalo, Jefferson Nickels
    Mega Red Book 4th Edition (printed 2018) expanded focus on Dimes
    Mega Red Book 5th Edition (printed 2019) expanded focus on Quarters
    Mega Red Book 6th Edition (printed 2020) expanded focus on Half Dollars
    Mega Red Book 7th Edition expanded focus on Dollars
    Mega Red Book 8th Edition expanded focus on 2 and 3 cents, 20 cents, gold $1, $3, and $4
    Mega Red Book 9th Edition expanded focus on $2.50 Gold

Felt this needed an update

• This is the best post EVER! Thank you to all the contributors!

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 5:15PM

Alot of books are not being updated anymore -- either at all or in print format -- and I was wondering if THE STANDARD GUIDE TO SMALL SIZE US PAPER MONEY and the STANDARD CATALOG OF US PAPER MONEYare still being updated ? No announcements that they are going to stop ?

I have the 9th and 27th Editions, respectively.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file