Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

$1 1883 O Over-Dip

lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

So years ago, back in late last century, I purchased some BU 1883 O dollars from a partial roll at a show. One of them I decided to dip it in multiple short dips (this is acidic dip like eZest). This to see how the coin changed as the dipping increased. Once it got to a point where it was clearly evident I stopped and saved it. I did not make note of how much cumulative time the dipping was but it was Not several seconds but a minute or more.

Well going through a old box of stuff I found it and thought I would post it. I still have a few of the others I bought that day. So, for comparison, I placed them side by side and took a picture. I then switched the position of the over-dipped one so that it was in all three positions (Center, Right, Left). This is because the lighting in each position was a little different. I did not change the lights or camera for each photo after the initial one to keep things as even as possible. I repeated this for the reverse.

I believe it looks most like the Right position in hand but can get the duller look when tilted at specific angles. Thought some might be interested in seeing the impact.

In the Center

Right end

Left end

In the Center

Right end

Left end

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting to see the luster disappear! Thanks for sharing. By the way, how did you store these?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread & nice presentation! :)

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that one really has its soul stripped away.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Interesting to see the luster disappear! Thanks for sharing. By the way, how did you store these?

The coins were in a Saflip. The Saflip were in a long box made for 2x2. In this case I was using the box the Saflips came in as I purchased a couple boxes of them. The box was in a safe that had a form of moisture control. Currently using one of these.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilolme... Very nice presentation and good pictures. Would also have been interesting if you dipped one in the same manner, then stored it in a less controlled environment. Probably would have tarnished quickly. Thanks for the information. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file