Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The PCGS Counterfeiters are getting too good. Watch out!

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I came upon this California commemorative on eBay (it's listed now and by a seller whose two negatives out of 12 total were for selling counterfeit coins):

Seller's pictures:

The insert looked a bit off. For example, on all other coins graded by PCGS, the spacing between the grade and the type is not equal to what is shown on the counterfeit.

I did a little bit of digging and found the original coin, sold back in 2018:

If you are doubtful as to my claims (and this is why I am not listing the actual auction), there is also slight toning on the real coin vs. the bright white appearance on the counterfeit.

Your thoughts?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow! I see the differences in the Barcode now that @ricko pointed it out... dayum!!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

The label is a big tell. The relief on the bad coin is also different.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does seem to be a very deceptive holder alright.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add this thread to the forum resource list. If anyone else knows of similar threads that explain these type of fakes, please let me know or post them here. I feel explanations like this could help educate buyers.

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse is rotated on the 'new' version as well.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

The coin looks cloudy and the holder very filmy, coin is horrible

• Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2022 5:18PM

@ricko said:
    The barcode appears to be different also.... Cheers, RickO

Good catch!
    Thats why I always spend the extra 5 for gold shield and scan every barcode I get!

(l8-)>>

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, this one isn’t particularly dangerous. The label isn’t even close.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    To me, this one isn’t particularly dangerous. The label isn’t even close.

Neither is the coin

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting - a good reminder to be careful. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2022 8:14AM

Any experienced player would likely pickup that as coin fake by its poorly struck / lack of detail appearance.

However that is a scary situation. It’s important to know how to grade, look at the coins plus be familiar with the series.

If your skills are so weak you can’t even tell from that coin you should be focusing on lower ticket material.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I scan the barcodes all the time. It's important for sure. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    So I came upon this California commemorative on eBay (it's listed now and by a seller whose two negatives out of 12 total were for selling counterfeit coins):

Seller's pictures:

The insert looked a bit off. For example, on all other coins graded by PCGS, the spacing between the grade and the type is not equal to what is shown on the counterfeit.

Your thoughts?

Okay, let me ask about those sealed plastic pockets the counterfeit is in, is there a place that does those for genuine coins in genuine grading holders?
    The reason I ask is because I've only seen them twice and in both case the coin and the slab was counterfeit.

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2022 2:44AM

One aspect of wrong spacing/font on labels and wrong barcodes has always puzzled me -
    why don't the counterfeiters make a better copy of the entire label?
    It's sitting there on Heritage.

I guess it's because they can buy the fake empty slabs, fake holo sticker and counterfeit coin probably all from China,
    but they don't have the skill to make a good copy of the label from a photo.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

These counterfeiters are getting better and better. Pretty soon, they'll have a counterfeit forum to go along with their other fakes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file