Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A short list of known modern US Mint varieties ... (revised)

LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
edited November 7, 2022 12:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum
Tried to make the title search engine friendly image

Found this on the web, thought you litesiders would enjoy some linkage:

note: What follows was authored by Go_Bills on TreasureNet.com. I do not aim to benefit from their work, just "sharing" as one does these days by reposting content with links to the original. Please click the linkage and visit the original website if you are inclined ~Nick

Update 11/07/2022: Revised title and content to replace "error" with "variety" per CU forumite suggestions. Specific date edits per @rec78 .

" Introduction:

I wanted to create a quick reference sheet for my dad, who does some light CRH and also handles a fair amount of loose circulated change. He knows that the "older stuff" (IH, seateds, barbers. etc) are worth money if he ever stumbles across some, so I wanted to focus on the newer stuff in circulation. I made this fit with on a single sheet in M$ Word (9pt Arial, margins .4") which is my goal, a 1 page quick and handy reference guide.

If anyone has any additions please list them in replies. I realize huge entire books like the cherrypickers guide are written to cover this topic and perhaps my quick reference sheet doesn't do justice, but it's the best attempt to date from this neophyte numismatist.

Quick Guide:

HALVES

Varieties
1974 D – Double Die
1987 P and D half dollars were only made for mint sets

Notes
1965-1970 are 40% silver
1964 and older 90% silver.
2002-2020 were not made for circulation and are worth keeping.
*All "S" mintmarks are proof coins

QUARTERS – Washington, State

Slightly Scare Dates on State Quarters:
1999 Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut
2001 Kentucky, 2002 Tennessee, 2003 Illinois
2009 All have 50-70% less overall mintage than the prior 9 years

Varieties:
2004 Wisconsin
2005 Kansas, Minnesota

Notes
Pre 1965 have silver content

DIMES - Roosevelt

Varieties
1982 No Mint Mark Roosevelt Dime

Notes
Pre 1965 have silver

NICKELS - Jefferson

Scare Dates
1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S, 1950-D

Varieties
1939, 1942D, 1943P, 1945P
2005-D Speared Bison

Notes
1942-1945 are 35% silver
Pre 1960 are worth keeping
Jefferson Nickels dated 1971 or later, with the S mintmark, are always Proof coins

PENNIES – Wheat, Lincoln

Scare Dates
1909-S, 1909-S V.D.B., 1914-D, 1922, 1931-S, 1955 Doubled Date; Scarce dates: 1910-S, 1911-S, 1912-S, 1913-S, 1914-S, 1915-S, 1922-D, 1922-D, 1924-D

Varieties
1969-S Lincoln Cent With a Doubled Die Obverse
1970-S Small Date Lincoln Cent With a Doubled Die Obverse
1972 Lincoln Cent With a Doubled Die Obverse
1984 Doubled Ear
1999 Wide "AM" Reverse Lincoln Cent
1995 Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent

Sources I used:
http://www.bestcoin.com/united-state...cing-guide.htm
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,54523.0.html

Link to Download of the Quick Start Guide in Word:
http://rapidshare.com/files/307978047/Quick_Guide.doc
(after you click the link, choose free user and you can download the file) "
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options

I believe I have the 3rd known 1982 d (small) error penny it weighs 3.1g and I have studied the differences between the large and small for about 4 hours total and I truly believe it’s the small d error penny

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2022 5:34PM

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2022 5:40PM

@Theluckyone871 said:
    I believe I have the 3rd known 1982 d (small) error penny it weighs 3.1g and I have studied the differences between the large and small for about 4 hours total and I truly believe it’s the small d error penny

It doesn't take anywhere 4 hours. :/ I'm guessing you "studied" so long that you saw things you wanted to see.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, the list in the original post has a few "mistakes". It's a good start for a checklist of things to look for.

For examle, everything that is called an error is actually a variety.

• Options
    DallifeDallife Posts: 71 ✭✭

Thank you so much for posting this!

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dallife said:

Um... What part are you thankful for? This post has a list of things that are rare. You won't find them. That's what "rare" means.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LochNESS said:
    Tried to make the title search engine friendly

Found this on the web, thought you litesiders would enjoy some linkage:

note: What follows was authored by Go_Bills on TreasureNet.com. I do not aim to benefit from their work, just "sharing" as one does these days by reposting content with links to the original. Please click the linkage and visit the original website if you are inclined ~Nick

" Introduction:

I wanted to create a quick reference sheet for my dad, who does some light CRH and also handles a fair amount of loose circulated change. He knows that the "older stuff" (IH, seateds, barbers. etc) are worth money if he ever stumbles across some, so I wanted to focus on the newer stuff in circulation. I made this fit with on a single sheet in M$ Word (9pt Arial, margins .4") which is my goal, a 1 page quick and handy reference guide.

If anyone has any additions please list them in replies. I realize huge entire books like the cherrypickers guide are written to cover this topic and perhaps my quick reference sheet doesn't do justice, but it's the best attempt to date from this neophyte numismatist.

Quick Guide:

HALVES

Errors
    1974 – Double Die
    1987 P and D half dollars were only made for mint sets

Notes
    1965-1970 are 40% silver
    1964 and older 90% silver.
    2001-Present were not made for circulation and are worth keeping.
    *All "S" mintmarks are proof coins

QUARTERS – Washington, State

Slightly Scare Dates on State Quarters:
    1999 Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut
    2001 Kentucky, 2002 Tennessee, 2003 Illinois
    2009 All have 50-70% less overall mintage than the prior 9 years

Errors on State Quarters:
    2004 Wisconsin
    2005 Kansas, Minnesota

Notes
    Pre 1965 have silver content

DIMES - Roosevelt

Errors
    1982 No Mint Mark Roosevelt Dime

Notes
    Pre 1965 have silver

NICKELS - Jefferson

Scare Dates
    1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S, 1950-D

Errors
    1939, 1942D, 1943P, 1945P
    2005-D Speared Bison

Notes
    1942-1945 are 35% silver
    Pre 1960 are worth keeping
    Jefferson Nickels dated 1971 or later, with the S mintmark, are always Proof coins

PENNIES – Wheat, Lincoln

Scare Dates
    1909-S, 1909-S V.D.B., 1914-D, 1922, 1931-S, 1955 Doubled Date; Scarce dates: 1910-S, 1911-S, 1912-S, 1913-S, 1914-S, 1915-S, 1922-D, 1922-D, 1924-D

Errors
    1969-S Lincoln Cent With a Doubled Die Obverse
    1970-S Small Date Lincoln Cent With a Doubled Die Obverse
    1972 Lincoln Cent With a Doubled Die Obverse
    1984 Doubled Ear
    1999 Wide "AM" Reverse Lincoln Cent
    1995 Doubled Die Obverse Lincoln Cent

Sources I used:
    http://www.bestcoin.com/united-state...cing-guide.htm
    http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...c,54523.0.html

Link to Download of the Quick Start Guide in Word:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/307978047/Quick_Guide.doc
    (after you click the link, choose free user and you can download the file) "

I search coins rolls everyday. There are a lot more coins to search for that are not on that list. I suggest you purchase the 5th edition (which is the current 2021 edition) of "Strike it Rich with pocket change" by Ken Potter and Brian Allen.
    This is the reference book for coin roll searchers. Your list is very partial and misses a lot of modern day errors and varieties. And has some errors. The Kenndy half dollar from 1974 with the DDO is the 1974-D not the 1974-P. The NIFC(Not Intended For Circulation) dates are 2002-2020 for Kennedy half dollars (2001 Kennedy's are not NIFC).
    I suggest watching a few RFT(Robfindstreasure) videos to help you learn.
    Also there are 2019 and 2020 "W" mint (West Point) quarters which sell for a good amount of money and error 2021 quarters (Washington crossing the Delaware die caps and 2021 Tuskagee Airmen burning building coins (I found one of these) and they sell for up to $300.00 or more.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

@Dallife said:

Um... What part are you thankful for? This post has a list of things that are rare. You won't find them. That's what "rare" means.

The list highlights what to look for. Not everyone is clued in to that. The list should be titled, "A List of Rare Coins You Probably Won't Find"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2022 4:33AM

@LochNESS ... Thanks for your efforts in posting this information. There are suggestions above that you should incorporate since they specify errors/additions. It will be helpful to those starting out collecting... however, there are more to be added - and it would be helpful to include a list of reference material for those inclined to acquire publications for study. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

@Dallife said:

Surely not with that attitude. Rare does not mean nonexistent. I once found a major doubled die in my pocket change—it happens.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@jonathanb said:

@Dallife said:

Doesn't matter if I'll ever find one. I'm thankful people are nice enough to take their time and post information like this for others.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LochNESS said:

2005-D Speared Bison

Plus a Speared 2000-P Sacagawea Eagle. But I thing these are varieties not errors.

I don't think @LochNESS has been here for a while.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @LochNESS ... Thanks for your efforts in posting this information. There are suggestions above that you should incorporate since they specify errors/additions. It will be helpful to those starting out collecting... however, there are more to be added - and it would be helpful to include a list of reference material for those inclined to acquire publications for study. Cheers, RickO

The original post is from 2013, and LochNESS has not logged in since Feb 2021.

• Options

@Dallife said:

@jonathanb said:

@Dallife said:

Doesn't matter if I'll ever find one. I'm thankful people are nice enough to take their time and post information like this for others.

Yes, share the knowledge. There's been talk about an elongated ray something?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Dallife said:

@jonathanb said:

@Dallife said:

Huh?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber.... Thank you... I overlooked the fact it was an old post.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Surely not with that attitude. Rare does not mean nonexistent. I once found a major doubled die in my pocket change—it happens.

All sorts of things happen. Some people happen to win the lottery. In fact, it's far (FAR!) more likely to win $100 on a scratch ticket than it is to find a coin on this list that is worth $100.

When you found that doubled die -- did you already know what a doubled die looked like, or did you take photos of every 1995 cent that you found and post them in a discussion group one at a time asking, Is this a doubled die?

@Dallife said:

I'm thankful when people post useful and accurate information. This list wasn't accurate when it was posted 9 years ago and it certainly isn't accurate now. I'd say it's actively harmful now, for not including the coins struck in the last 9 years that would be worth finding and are much more likely to be found at this point.

Coin roll hunting can be a fun, enjoyable part of the hobby -- for a person who doesn't treat it as a get-rich-quick scheme.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

All sorts of things happen. Some people happen to win the lottery. In fact, it's far (FAR!) more likely to win $100 on a scratch ticket than it is to find a coin on this list that is worth $100.

Okay, but this isn’t a gambling forum. It’s a coin collecting—and occasionally—a politics forum

When you found that doubled die -- did you already know what a doubled die looked like, or did you take photos of every 1995 cent that you found and post them in a discussion group one at a time asking, Is this a doubled die?

Actually, I was aware of what dates to look for on which denominations very much because of a list like the original one in this post. What’s your point?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edited May 9, 2022 9:41AM

@jonathanb said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Dallife said:

I'm thankful when people post useful and accurate information. This list wasn't accurate when it was posted 9 years ago and it certainly isn't accurate now. I'd say it's actively harmful now, for not including the coins struck in the last 9 years that would be worth finding and are much more likely to be found at this point.

Coin roll hunting can be a fun, enjoyable part of the hobby -- for a person who doesn't treat it as a get-rich-quick scheme.

I didn't know it was not accurate and didn't realize it was posted so long ago. So I guess I'm not thankful lol 🤦‍♀️

• Options
    edited July 5, 2022 8:43PM

@Dallife said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Dallife said:

@jonathanb said:

@Dallife said:

Huh?

http://www.smalldollars.com/

• Options

@jonathanb said:

@Dallife said:

Wow @jonathanb why such a Debbie Downer? Do you troll often?

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

As stated in OP, this is not my list. I didn't author it, and I didn't revise it. Also, the author plainly admits that this list is incomplete and written by a "neophyte."

Instead of criticizing me for mistakes or omissions, how about starting a new thread with your more comprehensive and more accurate list.

Or, if you believe this thread is special and needs to become the reference for error strikes, then tell me what to change and I'll see if I get around to it.

Where have I been? Certainly not logging in daily to read criticisms.

• my "job"… my music lessons studio, expanded to a retail location which has grown steadily since 2019;
    • a second child, who recently turned 3
    • other priorities

Here's hoping I can "get back into coins" without too much drama. :wink:

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

@rec78 said:

There are a lot more coins to search for that are not on that list … Your list is very partial and misses a lot of modern day errors and varieties … I suggest watching a few RFT(Robfindstreasure) videos to help you learn …

Hi @rec78 , I suggest you read OPs before responding. It's not my list and it doesn't claim to be complete or thorough. But, I do value accuracy. I have revised the list accordingly. Have a great Monday.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file