Home U.S. Coin Forum

25th Anniversary ASE set

Comments

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    What is MCM offering over the Mint Price ?
    Just read MCM's promise for offer.. they were saying sellers should not expect to make a kill selling sets to MCM . Hmmmmm.. don't sell too early... these sets will hot for the holidays. The 2006 gold sets went up steadily for 6 weeks after issue . I would not sell on on 1st sell day
    Better you make a kill.......... not dealers..
  • hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    They check all orders before filling them. If they see you have over ordered or used the same card/address they will just cancel the order on you. . >>

Do they cancel both orders, or just one? >>

Why don't you let us know when it happens? image >>

Perhaps you should start another redundant thread.image
  • commacomma Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    You can have multiple addresses in your "address book" on your Mint account.
    The stipulation is 5 per household, not 5 per credit card. Doesn't that mean you could send 5 more to another address in your book? Or no?
  • ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>OK, just one final question image
    If someone wanted to buy more than 5 sets and had more than one credit card with different billing addresses, BUT they had similar names and I was using the same computer (same IP address) would that work or no? Just curious if anyone else has encountered this with ordering online with the mint.
    Not trying to be "greedy" and don't even know if I want more than 5 sets, just want to see what my options are image
    thanks guys >>

You aren't the only person who wants more than 5 sets, look at the offers from MCM and the like and it's your business what you do with them anyway. Probably the safest way is to ask a friend or family member (not living at the same address) to order under their name, address, and credit card and reimburse them. Good luck! >>

Great Advice.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    But was the hype in 2006 the same as it is now?

I'd vote for more hype back then. For 10 years people had watched the 95 grow into a multi-thousand dollar coin. image
  • dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭
    Not to mention, the unemployment rate has doubled over that time. Does anyone think the condition of the economy has any material effect on these issues? I have bought a lot of coins from people over the last few years selling collections to raise cash. Don't get me wrong, I think these are going to be great sellers, I just think a 300% return might not be in the cards this time.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<The stipulation is 5 per household, not 5 per credit card. Doesn't that mean you could send 5 more to another address in your book? Or no?>>

No. And I'm speaking from first hand experience here...my wife and I have separate Mint accounts using completely different credit cards and different shipping addresses. However, for limited run issues, the Mint has almost always managed to cancel one of our orders due to the commonality of the billing address on our credit cards.

In fact, I live in a very large apartment complex...and they've also been known to cancel one of my orders because another collector is using the same mailing address (but different apt. number). So I now have a note on my account that I'm not related in any way to this other person.

Hope this clarifies the situation.
  • So, if I put in my 5 on 5 seperate orders all using the same CC, shipping and billing address I'll be okay. But if I put in a 6th the site will accept it then the mint will cancel? Am I understanding that correctly?

Also, is it possible to just have first strike on some coins in a submission or does it have to be on everything?
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    I just want my sets to free of spots. All 5 sets of my 20th anniversary coins developed spots. All stored in same
    manner as the rest of my coins and the 20th anniversary are the only coins that have spotting issues.
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<So, if I put in my 5 on 5 seperate orders all using the same CC, shipping and billing address I'll be okay. But if I put in a 6th the site will accept it then the mint will cancel? Am I understanding that correctly?>>

Yes, in all likelihood, the Mint will cancel the order days or even weeks later.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just want my sets to free of spots. All 5 sets of my 20th anniversary coins developed spots. All stored in same
    manner as the rest of my coins and the 20th anniversary are the only coins that have spotting issues. >>

I have several hundred of these coins and none of them have spotted, could it be that I live in a relatively dry climate that causes this?
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

The only silver coins that have ever spotted for me were the ATB's and only those that I got from A-Mark.
    Coincidentally, those were also the only ones that I was unable to wash in acetone. Unfortunately, I won't be able to
    give these a bath unless I'm willing to forgo the labels on 3 of the 5, and we all know how important that label can be
    when it comes time to sell. image

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi

• << <i>

<< <i>I just want my sets to free of spots. All 5 sets of my 20th anniversary coins developed spots. All stored in same
    manner as the rest of my coins and the 20th anniversary are the only coins that have spotting issues. >>

I have several hundred of these coins and none of them have spotted, could it be that I live in a relatively dry climate that causes this? >>

I've wondered the same thing. I live in a dry climate as well and just don't see spotting.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I just noticed the PCGS pop report shows 26,507 2011-S unc ASE's have been graded???
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Those are probably without the "S" mintmark sent in unopened monster boxes.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    2011 - seems like the year of any and every kind of SAE. The only two missing is the 2011-s proof, both with and w/o the mint mark. image
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2011 - seems like the year of any and every kind of SAE. The only two missing is the 2011-s proof, both with and w/o the mint mark. image >>

Yeah, goes to show how industry / business incrementally keeps slicing up the product pie to keep you make buying a smaller and smaller niche / variation of the same 'ol thing.

Then again, which business doesn't do that. image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2011 - seems like the year of any and every kind of SAE. The only two missing is the 2011-s proof, both with and w/o the mint mark. image >>

I heard that the mint was going to start offering this stuff in rim proof versions too!!!!!image
    theknowitalltroll;
    at what point is credit card charged or authorized.. at time of order or shortly before shipping ?
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>at what point is credit card charged or authorized.. at time of order or shortly before shipping ? >>

shortly before shipping

Loves me some shiny!

• << <i>

<< <i>at what point is credit card charged or authorized.. at time of order or shortly before shipping ? >>

shortly before shipping >>

They will "probe" your CC right away, submit a charge, but not complete it.
    Then prior to shipping it, the transaction will be done a second time, this time
    it will be completed.

_Reset
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

shortly before shipping >>

They will "probe" your CC right away, submit a charge, but not complete it.
    Then prior to shipping it, the transaction will be done a second time, this time
    it will be completed.

_Reset >>

thanks.... my card expires at end of Nov

<< <i>thanks.... my card expires at end of Nov >>

Hum, this might be interesting as the expiration date will change. You are going to be on the borderline. If you have another card, I would get it on the Mint site now.

<< <i>

Hum, this might be interesting as the expiration date will change. You are going to be on the borderline. If you have another card, I would get it on the Mint site now. >>

yes indeed a new card will arrive on Wednesday.. wouldn't miss thursday

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hum, this might be interesting as the expiration date will change. You are going to be on the borderline. If you have another card, I would get it on the Mint site now. >>

yes indeed a new card will arrive on Wednesday.. wouldn't miss thursday >>

I'd call my CC company and see if they can extend the expiration date.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    They check all orders before filling them. If they see you have over ordered or used the same card/address they will just cancel the order on you. . >>

Perhaps you should start another redundant thread.image >>

I'll wait for others to do a few first, then I will do it. image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'll wait for others to do a few first, then I will do it. image >>

I can see it now...the "**OFFICIAL** have you been probed yet by the US Mint?" thread.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'll wait for others to do a few first, then I will do it. image >>

I can see it now...the "**OFFICIAL** have you been probed yet by the US Mint?" thread. >>

OP should update the title to this to "OFFICIAL" and I will gladly edit mine....I like there being 1 main thread for folks. If people are too lazy, esp in a prime flip like this, to read a thread and they start another thread with questions, then ... "oh well" to them image

But(t), pun-intended, I have no desire to get into a probing by the mint type of thread image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• << <i>What is MCM offering over the Mint Price ?
    Just read MCM's promise for offer.. they were saying sellers should not expect to make a kill selling sets to MCM . Hmmmmm.. don't sell too early... these sets will hot for the holidays. The 2006 gold sets went up steadily for 6 weeks after issue . I would not sell on on 1st sell day
    Better you make a kill.......... not dealers.. >>

Actually I think what I said was if you are flipping and going for the kill, IE $500 to $600 out of the gate per set, look elsewhere for that buyer it won't be us. Also that early eBay prices will not be an indicator of realistic prices (when are they?) and that we think our offer will be a good offer and many will sell to us, likewise many won't and that's all good.

John
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Good grief, tons of presales. Looks like high so far is $2,850 for 5 sets or $570 per set...Gonna be a real mess come Thursday, Flippers galore.
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

In the last day or two, ebay presales are running between $400-$450 for single sets.

ebay presales

After ebay and Paypal fees and postage, at $450 the seller will net about $70 on that sale, which makes a buy offer
    from a dealer @ $100 over issue look pretty darn good right about now. This may not be the big killing that some are
    anticipating. During 2006 credit was still abundant and real estate still flying high. Lots of changes since then.
    Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here - just trying to add a dose of reality. These sets will have to be graded
    and some 70's obtained for the 2 keys in order to make decent money. Submitting blind will be a real crap shoot.
    Lots to think about here.

imageimageimage

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gauntlet has been thrown down:

Dear ModernCoinMart/ JMRC Inc Customer,

The United States Mint is offering a product for $299.95 with a limit of 5 sets per person, per household on Thursday, October 27, 2011, at noon ET at their website. Here is the link that describes the product:

U.S. Mint Product Listing

We are in need of several hundred of these, and as we have done in the past are willing to pay a premium for you and your friends and family to buy them for us. We will pay a total of $360.00 for each 5-coin set we receive provided the US Mint price remains at the expected $299.95. That is $60.05 over your cost of $299.95 per set of 5 coins. Since each household may purchase 5 sets that is a profit of $300.25 over your cost of $1499.75. The sets must be shipped to us within two business days from your receipt.

Please be advised in case of price changes, we will adjust our purchasing amount accordingly. If the price by the US Mint goes up, we will increase our purchasing price. If the price goes down, we will decrease our purchasing price.

The coin set(s) must be sent unopened in the original US Mint packaging or we will return the coins to you.

The boxes must remain sealed for two reasons:

1) No tampering of coins can take place
    2) The grading services we use require the coins be sent to them in sealed outer boxes.

The shipper’s address on the package from the US Mint will appear as

PBGS, Plainfield IN 461268

and not as US Mint. PBGS is hired by the US Mint for fulfillment.

Insurance and shipping charges are your responsibility, unless you are selling us five or more sets. In that case, we will pay your actual shipping & insurance cost – not to exceed $35.00. Our payment to you mails by First Class within 48 hours of our receipt of the coin. Overnight payment is available upon request.

If you are interested in this opportunity, please respond to britta@moderncoinmart.com and she will then email you step by step instructions, otherwise you will not hear from us again about this opportunity.

Throughout the year opportunities like this present themselves and sometimes you can make a quick and easy profit. It isn’t too good to be true, it’s 100% real and quite simple to understand. When the U.S. Mint makes a product that has anticipated high demand and restricts the number that can be bought to everyone including dealers, we need your help. Why you say? Because we have 15,000 active customers that want new and exciting issues and aren’t willing to grade the coins themselves or wait months only to hope for the matched graded set they desired. We've been doing this now for years with no problems; it is straightforward and backed by our longstanding reputation.

Best Regards,

John Maben
    CEO, JMRC/ ModernCoinMart
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
    MCM is offering $60.50 over issue price for each set ship to them at this point. They are great people to deal with.

I guess Miles beat me to it!!!

On a side point, if this the profit to be realized, is it worth chasing after them?
    I still think after the dust settles, maybe 2-4 weeks after the sale, these are going to get a lot higher. Especially when large numbers of people decide they want one, didn't hear about the release, and realize they are sold out and there are only 100K. Just my opinion.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    SERIOUSLY, is there any reason to think the RP and S won't do as well as the UHR has. Yes, the 25th mintage is double the UHR, but the price is lower and the ASE collector base will create many times more demand than the UHR. I won't be quick to sell mine. I see the price on these steadily climbing along with the world economic recovery.
  • EggerEgger Posts: 418 ✭✭

Most are not offering more than what was given to the ATB P Pucks and Demand for these will be insane !!!!!! Guess I just dont get it.

Looks like ebay for my sets, plan on getting 25 of them. I have some friends ordering for me

I am going to wait until in hand to list if they are not preselling for enough or I might send in some sets and have fun breaking even if I don't get any 70's, but would love to hit the lottery !!! Disneyland for the Kids!!!!!!!

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the last day or two, ebay presales are running between $400-$450 for single sets.

ebay presales

After ebay and Paypal fees and postage, at $450 the seller will net about $70 on that sale, which makes a buy offer
    from a dealer @ $100 over issue look pretty darn good right about now. This may not be the big killing that some are
    anticipating. During 2006 credit was still abundant and real estate still flying high. Lots of changes since then.
    Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here - just trying to add a dose of reality. These sets will have to be graded
    and some 70's obtained for the 2 keys in order to make decent money. Submitting blind will be a real crap shoot.

imageimageimage >>

<< <i>SERIOUSLY, is there any reason to think the RP and S won't do as well as the UHR has. Yes, the 25th mintage is double the UHR, but the price is lower and the ASE collector base will create many times more demand than the UHR. I won't be quick to sell mine. I see the price on these steadily climbing along with the world economic recovery. >>

just a guess, without taking into account insane demand

the RP and S should be a 150.00 to $200 coin, if you only get $50 for the other 3, thats $150

So $450.00 to $550.00 minus about $50 ebay/paypal fees = 100.00 to 200.00 profit.

<< <i>

<< <i>In the last day or two, ebay presales are running between $400-$450 for single sets.

ebay presales

imageimageimage >>

image >>

I think it will take some time for the public to know these are out there. then to the moon. if the set would have been announce back in January, things would be different.

Question: when was the lincoln Chronicles set announce and finally release. granted price point was different, but those were selling for 4X 5X issue price for a while
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>SERIOUSLY, is there any reason to think the RP and S won't do as well as the UHR has. Yes, the 25th mintage is double the UHR, but the price is lower and the ASE collector base will create many times more demand than the UHR. I won't be quick to sell mine. I see the price on these steadily climbing along with the world economic recovery. >>

Double the UHR??? I think not. The UHR came in around 115K +- a couple K. The RP and S are at 100K each. So if we're going to go by numbers, then they are absolutely in the same league as the UHR. And if we assume that the SAE collector base is much higher than the gold issues (I think it's a rather safe assumption), the demand is going to kick these 25th SAEs much higher. As always, JMHO (so basically, we are assuming the same, I just wanted to clarify your numbers ;-)

I'm plan to acquire as many as I can, keep some sealed, cherry pick some RP and S for grading, and trickle them out over the next few months. If I'm lucky enough to land a 70 or two, they'll be the first to go.

• << <i> I think it will take some time for the public to know these are out there. then to the moon. if the set would have been announce back in January, things would be different. >>

Didn't someone report earlier that the Mint price announcement got 70,000 "likes" on Facebook? Sounds like a lot already know....

If all of those try to buy just two sets each that will be 40,000 over mintage.

...and a lot more people don't use Facebook (me)

edited for spelling issues

<< <i>

Double the UHR??? I think not. The UHR came in around 115K +- a couple K. The RP and S are at 100K each. So if we're going to go by numbers, then they are absolutely in the same league as the UHR. And if we assume that the SAE collector base is much higher than the gold issues (I think it's a rather safe assumption), the demand is going to kick these 25th SAEs much higher. As always, JMHO (so basically, we are assuming the same, I just wanted to clarify your numbers ;-)

I'm plan to acquire as many as I can, keep some sealed, cherry pick some RP and S for grading, and trickle them out over the next few months. If I'm lucky enough to land a 70 or two, they'll be the first to go. >>

Me too, I have 30 Proof eagles from 2010 and 2011, those I can part with to save more 25th sets for me : ) I know which I would rather have

The chronicles set was on the mints road map all year, people knew about it in april, the 25th set has only been about 2+ months.

<< <i>

<< <i> I think it will take some time for the public to know these are out there. then to the moon. if the set would have been announce back in January, things would be different. >>

Didn't someone report earlier that the Mint price announcement got 70,000 "likes" on Facebook? Sounds like a lot already know....

edited for spelling issues >>

I wonder how many of the purchasers of these sets have acquired "flipper's fever"?
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> I think it will take some time for the public to know these are out there. then to the moon. if the set would have been announce back in January, things would be different. >>

I wonder how many of the purchasers of these sets have acquired "flipper's fever"? >>

The "Likes" is for the whole mint site, not just the 25th set

<< <i>

That was me, but someone else posted that # is/was the total for all likes of the US mint website.
  • johnjinxjohnjinx Posts: 365 ✭✭✭

ebay presales

imageimageimage >>

How did you come up with that $70 figure? Ebay and paypal fees are around 12% combined if you do a regular auction. If you sell it for $450 a set, that makes the profit at $96 per set before shipping. What kind of shipping costs around $26 a set? The profit is even greater if it sells as a fixed auction. I do believe that it's not worth the trouble to sell on ebay if you sell it goes for around $400 a set though.

Also, I don't see any dealers offering $100 over issue price. If you know any, please share with us. image
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware of counting profits before they're hatched. image

<< <i>Most are not offering more than what was given to the ATB P Pucks and Demand for these will be insane !!!!!! Guess I just dont get it.

Looks like ebay for my sets, plan on getting 25 of them. I have some friends ordering for me

I am going to wait until in hand to list if they are not preselling for enough or I might send in some sets and have fun breaking even if I don't get any 70's, but would love to hit the lottery !!! Disneyland for the Kids!!!!!!! >>

25 for the 25th image

I think with 25 sets, your ebay profits can definitely pay for a disney trip, if you play your timing right
    700image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file