Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I know for a fact that they don't recycle all returns. I sent back one NP1 that was not received until after they went dark.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Even if they are sold out, orders before the sellout are still in their queue and one of these returns may still be recycled.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Therefore, I believe what happened in 2008 lends some credence to the idea that the Mint does not recycle returns??? >>

I posted a few pages back about a mint customer service rep speaking of this matter, saying something like, "we do not resell returns, we melt them down"

I believe I got one response on this, something to the effect of, "HA"

I'd like to hear some more people weigh in on this.

Do yawl think the mint melts their returns? >>

I wouldn't doubt that a mint employee looks at the return and consigns the coin to the melt bin only if there is an obvious or serious defect. Otherwise, it gets repackaged and resold. >>

I believe if you you state the reason for the return is damage/poor quality, then someone may look at it and decide where it should go, the melting pot or back for resale. But, if you mark "Changed Mind" or some of the other options (this is all from memory - so hopefully I am not way off base), I bet they go right back in the stack to be sold.

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

I believe if you you state the reason for the return is damage/poor quality, then someone may look at it and decide where it should go, the melting pot or back for resale. But, if you mark "Changed Mind" or some of the other options (this is all from memory - so hopefully I am not way off base), I bet they go right back in the stack to be sold. >>

On the packing slip, the return options, and resolution options are:: ("[ ]" represents a checkbox)..

Reasons for Return
    [ ] The Merchandise arrived too late.
    [ ] The US Mint shipped the incorrect item.
    [ ] Changed my mind.
    [ ] The product arrived damaged
    [ ] The product packaging arrived damaged.
    Please describe the nature of the damage

The Resolution options are
    [ ] Replacement.
    Items(s)_______________
    [ ] Refund.
    Item(s)________________
    [ ] Exchange for new item:
    Item(s)________________

The return period used to be thirty days.. I don't remember when they changed it, but for at least the past couple of years, I think, it's been seven days.. so if you want to return something, you have to hustle.. and pay the return freight, and then ask them to refund what it cost you to return it, which they will do, depending on which reason you gave for returning it.. I'm pretty sure "changed my mind" won't get your return Postage back, but the others will..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way yo really prove that the Mint recycles its products is for every member here that returns a puck to put a small black ink dot on the edge of the coin that is permanent. And then see if anyone gets one that ordered late....
  • Options
    So much for the sellout this week....

<< <i>"Through the reporting date of June 12, 2011, the United States Mint recorded sales of 20,511 units for the 2010-P Yosemite National Park Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin. The product initially went on sale on June 9, meaning that after only a few days 76% of the maximum authorized mintage has been sold. While this is an impressive start, it is below the initial sales levels of the previous two releases. After a comparable sales period, the Hot Spring National Park issue had sold approximately 25,000 units and the Yellowstone National Park issue had sold 24,626 units. These two releases both eventually reached a sell out after roughly 15 days of sales. It seems likely that the Yosemite release will also reach a sell out, but perhaps after a longer period of availability." >>

WWW.COINUPDATE.COM
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The only way yo really prove that the Mint recycles its products is for every member here that returns a puck to put a small black ink dot on the edge of the coin that is permanent. And then see if anyone gets one that ordered late.... >>

During the ASE 2008 w/rev. of '07 craze it was clear the many of the coins which I received from The Mint had been gone through and sent back by other Mint cusomers. I thought that they only melt ones returned as damaged.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Two of my three have shipped (well the info has been transmitted)...They should definitely be in my hands by the end of the week...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The only way yo really prove that the Mint recycles its products is for every member here that returns a puck to put a small black ink dot on the edge of the coin that is permanent. And then see if anyone gets one that ordered late.... >>

During the ASE 2008 w/rev. of '07 craze it was clear the many of the coins which I received from The Mint had been gone through and sent back by other Mint cusomers. I thought that they only melt ones returned as damaged. >>

There was an enormous thread about the 2008 Reverse of 2007 error.. you may be correct, however in that thread, there were reports (I don't remember how people found out such things).. that when the Mint discovered they had made 46,318 of the error coins using 15 wrong Reverse dies during three shifts, in a single day (a FOIA request was submitted to the Mint, and the Mint's reply was scanned and posted.. the FOIA request cost hundreds of $.. many of us PayPalled the FOIA requester a few bucks to cover the cost).. where was I.. oh..

It was reported by some, and I don't remember how they got the information, that when the Mint realized it had made all those error coins, which were made in a single day, and were in capsules, in boxes, on warehouse shelves, ALONG WITH NORMAL COINS.. awaiting shipment, that they furiously dug through the un-shipped boxes looking for those error coins, and, when they found any, they took them out of the capsules, and sloppily replaced them with normal coins.. people received packaging with half-open capsules, or coins completely out of their capsules, because the whole thing was done in such a hurry.. the Mint doesn't like to make errors..

So.. it's doubtful that all 46,318 of them (the figure 47,000 is commonly used, but is wrong.. the FOIA request totalled to exactly 46,318 error coins made.. it even detailed how many were struck by each die, along with the dies' serial numbers!).. it's doubtful that they all got out into the hands of collectors..

A follow-up letter to the Mint was sent, asking how many actually DID get out, but the Mint never responded to it..

Sooooooooooo.. no one really knows how many 2008 Reverse of 2007s are out there, but it is SOME number less than 46.318.. it could be WAY less.. or not..

After the discovery, the slabbing began.. MCM sold MS69s for $99.99 and MS70s for either $199.99 or $299.99 when they first got their hands on them (NGC and PCGS slabbed).. then jacked up the price about 50% for the second bunch, and then up and up and up they went after that..

The error coins are still holding their value pretty nicely, although not at the peak they were three years ago, they haven't imploded.. a raw, or an MS69 still fetches in the neighborhood of $400.00 to $450.00 on eBay, and an MS70, about double that.. label attributes like "Early Releases" or "First Strike" bump up the price a bit.. the ones on eBay that sell for the most money are the ones that are listed as "Buy it Now" with the "Best Offer" option.. the ones that sell for the least are the "true auctions" people start at $1.00 or $9.99 and pray for bidders.. that strategy doesn't work.. the other one does..

(Edited for content and misspellings.. always proofread so you don't any words).. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mine shipped.

now only if my Olympics would get here
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Mine went from on hold this morning at 7am ... to in process at about 10am .. to shipped at 3 pm

have to love the Mint
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Did anyone receive a YO NP3 today, thought some were shipped on Monday? image
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Well, my UPS info shows this now -

Shipped/Billed On:
    06/14/2011
    Type:
    Package
    Weight:
    1.00 lb

Shipped By

UPS Next Day Air®

So it ought to be here tomorrow, I think.
  • Options
    Mine are all coming today before 1030....now the trek to pick them up from my two friends (each is 50 miles away...in opposite directions)..
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    Both of mine shipped yesterday, 14 June.

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mine are all coming today before 1030....now the trek to pick them up from my two friends (each is 50 miles away...in opposite directions).. >>

$40-$50 just for gasoline?image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>

<< <i>Mine are all coming today before 1030....now the trek to pick them up from my two friends (each is 50 miles away...in opposite directions).. >>

$40-$50 just for gasoline?image >>

Yes - but meeting with old friends - priceless.
  • Options
    I just reported in the other thread (I wish we (I) could decide which one to use..one of my Yose's arrived with some small marks on the obverse...enough to keep it from a 70 but not enough to return...

Now my trek to get the other two begins...I hope it's worth it...
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I have one coin arriving this morning and one tomorrow morning .
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    06/15/2011 6:50 A.M. Out For Delivery
  • Options
    Received mine, in hand this morning.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the last day to ship the Yellowstone to PCGS?

I would like to send the Yellowstone and Yosemite in at the same time. Yosemite is out for delivery today.

• Options
    Looks like the SP70 market has perked up. Sp70s going upwards of $700 now. SP69s half that, though YS doing better then HS in that regards.
  • Options
    I also saw some PCGS graded P pucks selling for $272-280

When you add the cost of grading to the $279.95 THAT looks like a negative cash flow....

Maybe some submitters should have actually looked at their coins before submitting.....
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I will try to make my 70s.

For now, I will to give it my best shot. I will have 5 chances for each design. I will submit any possible 70 candidates for FS and True View for a possible registry set. $285 (initial cost from the mint)+$100 (shipping, grading/true view fees=$385} as compared to $650-$700 for buying MS 70s. For now, I will accept any self made 69s in my registry set. Though I am weary about buying 70s without looking at the actual coin before I buy, since the last one I bought in my opinion was not a 70.
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Im kinda lost on my order it says Order Status: Your order request is on hold but item status says "in stock and reserved"? I ordered mine on monday
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

My Yosemite is already on the way back to the Mint. Abrasions & a pinhole near Geo's hairline. Is it just me or
    is the quality of these heading south? My HS was good, my Yellow was marginal, but this resembles a warmed
    over JH puck. I think the Mint's optimistic production schedule is beginning to take its toll. I expect this will be
    quite favorable to those lucky enough to score a 70.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did anyone receive a YO NP3 today, thought some were shipped on Monday? image >>

Got my wife's YO NP3 today, "UPS Next Day" delivery. Fantastic looking coin, no marks, and great service from the Mint considering it was shipped yesterday.

I don't mind paying the standard shipping fee rather than buying something I don't want to get the order total over $300, as the $4.95 charge delivered in one day...

Cheers!

Bob

PS: mine is probably at the post office, as I used our PO Box for my shipment address.
    Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    My three should arrive tomorrow. I hope that they look good. Will be nice to be able to submit directly in Balto. instead of having to ship them to CA.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will try to make my 70s.

For now, I will to give it my best shot. I will have 5 chances for each design. I will submit any possible 70 candidates for FS and True View for a possible registry set. $285 (initial cost from the mint)+$100 (shipping, grading/true view fees=$385} as compared to $650-$700 for buying MS 70s. For now, I will accept any self made 69s in my registry set. Though I am weary about buying 70s without looking at the actual coin before I buy, since the last one I bought in my opinion was not a 70. >>

I had hopes of an MS69 or MS70 set of 5 bye ordering 2 of each design but that idea is quickly going downhill.

At least it wasn't as big a pipedream as my idea that I might get a set of 5 69 DMPL of the bullion version of the 2010's. I had to quit that one after only getting one 69DMPL coin out of 15.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine this morning...sending it back Friday morning.

Huge scratch on one of the trees plus lots of rim nicks.

Love that Quality Control.................NOT......image
  • Options

<< <i>Got mine this morning...sending it back Friday morning.

Huge scratch on one of the trees plus lots of rim nicks.

Love that Quality Control.................NOT......image >>

Thats what I love about not opening boxes image Never have to deal with the issues. Done with grading so life is good for me
  • Options
    Got 1 of 3 Yosemites today also ordered 2010 silver proof quarters. I like the look of the proof quarters much better than the blasted P puc`s. I think the mint is getting lazy and taking the easy way out on these.This yose looks good no dings that I can see but am afraid to send in for grading at this time,Wanted to leave it in box but had to open due to proofs.Will keep others in original package and grade later. Out of 3 Hot Springs 1 not worth grading, graded 2 (1)sp 69 (1)sp 66 The 69 looked perfect the 66 had 3 small dings on window sill or whatever it was at the top. Out of 2 Yellowstone (1) sp70 (1) sp69 both looked perfect to me. These puc`s were acetone dipped with my regrades that came back 67DM`s instead of 68 DM`s that went in,wish I had my 68`s back.
  • Options
  • Options
    There's a new article dated 15 June, 2011, about these "P"oins on numismaticnews.net, in Dave Harper's NN Blog..

Link

Harper, who is the Editor-in-Chief of NN, is also holding a live Webinar tomorrow, 16 June, 2011, on the subject of Investing in Silver.. pre-registration is required to get the a personalized link to attend.. I can't post mine.. it's linked to my email address..

If you get their emailed newsletters, then you already know about it.. I believe it starts at 1pm PT.. it's mentioned in his Blog..

If you miss it, you're going to have to PAY to listen to it later.. I attend various tech Webinars and Webcasts on the InterWeb, and I've NEVER seen one that forced you to pay to watch / hear it again later, or if you missed it.. they're always free.. but NN has held three Webinars with Dave in the past three months, or this is his third one.. and they charge to download the archived version of it.. I'll withhold comment about that..

• Options
    got mine today.

my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    any reports of strike doubling on these?

mine does not have it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    coinman,

Thanks for the pics. Looks like you have a very nice one!!
  • Options

<< <i>coinman,

Thanks for the pics. Looks like you have a very nice one!! >>

you`re welcome.image with a 10x loupe i see no flaws. i may send this one in.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Mine arrived at 8:15 am today. Quick look this evening, probably the best of the bunch. Off hand, an honest 69 with a true chance at 70. Did not see a flaw on the puck.
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    I got mine today too. Excellent coin - will remain in OGP.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I got mine today too. Excellent coin - will remain in OGP. >>

Ditto. I just can't figure out what that big rock in the picture is--or is it a giant salt lick?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine's been In Process for days. Urgh. Was hoping to get it this week, guess not.
  • Options

Got both of mine today. Sold them unopened!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ditto. I just can't figure out what that big rock in the picture is--or is it a giant salt lick? >>

I think it's called North Dome, can't remember, it's on the left, on the right is Half Dome which I have stood atop. There is a trail up the backside of Half Dome. Looks kinda like this -

• Options
    I was going to go digging for a photo of Yosemite to illustrate what's on the coin.. you saved me the trouble..

When I saw the coin's design, I knew what it was, but it was very puzzling.. I wondered why they only put the left half of that unbelievably gorgeous river and valley on it, instead of the view of both "domes", and the river between them, as in your picture.. there must be a bajillion pictures of that vista at Yosemite, and they almost always show the same view of it as in the little color photo you posted.. it's almost as if they put Mouth Rushmore on a coin, but only the left half of it.. or the Washington Monument, but only the bottom half.. whoever selected the final design that appears on the coin should be taken out behind the shed and spanked.. just my opinion..
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going to go digging for a photo of Yosemite to illustrate what's on the coin.. you saved me the trouble..

When I saw the coin's design, I knew what it was, but it was very puzzling.. I wondered why they only put the left half of that unbelievably gorgeous river and valley on it, instead of the view of both "domes", and the river between them, as in your picture.. there must be a bajillion pictures of that vista at Yosemite, and they almost always show the same view of it as in the little color photo you posted.. it's almost as if they put Mouth Rushmore on a coin, but only the left half of it.. or the Washington Monument, but only the bottom half.. whoever selected the final design that appears on the coin should be taken out behind the shed and spanked.. just my opinion.. >>

I agree.

What would you all grade the 2010 designs overall? I say a C+ tops.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

2 A's, 2 C's, and 1 F I should work for Apmex.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was going to go digging for a photo of Yosemite to illustrate what's on the coin.. you saved me the trouble..

When I saw the coin's design, I knew what it was, but it was very puzzling.. I wondered why they only put the left half of that unbelievably gorgeous river and valley on it, instead of the view of both "domes", and the river between them, as in your picture.. there must be a bajillion pictures of that vista at Yosemite, and they almost always show the same view of it as in the little color photo you posted.. it's almost as if they put Mouth Rushmore on a coin, but only the left half of it.. or the Washington Monument, but only the bottom half.. whoever selected the final design that appears on the coin should be taken out behind the shed and spanked.. just my opinion.. >>

They would have needed to make it smaller or strike a 7 inch coin.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I think it's called North Dome, can't remember, it's on the left, on the right is Half Dome which I have stood atop. There is a trail up the backside of Half Dome. Looks kinda like this >>

It is known as "El Capitan". It is an international rock climbing mecca!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file