Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Are these PCGS 1st strike holders you are cracking?

If so it seems like a lot of money being thrown out the window.
  • Options

<< <i>Are these PCGS 1st strike holders you are cracking?

If so it seems like a lot of money being thrown out the window. >>

easy come easy go
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>It took me about 1, maybe 2 minutes max. to open mine with the staple remover. The best part was I was able to keep pressure on the slab to keep it from falling apart and dropping the coin. >>

I'm curious.. if you paid to have the bathtub stopper slabbed.. the one you just removed from the slab.. how much TOTAL was the cost to get it INTO the slab, including everything.. and if you want to break it down by line item (Postage there, Postage back, fees, any special fees for lable designations.. whatever).. how much did it cost you total, to get it into the slab you just removed it from?..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>With silver dropping like a rock, what is the chance that the mint will drop the price on the next 5 oz puck? There will come a point when the mark-up over current silver melt value will be high enough to hurt sales. >>

I think the 1st 5 are set at $279.95....the next group will most likely be in the $239.95 range and that will still be high >>

What effect will the price drop have on the first 5 issued?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

<< <i>

I'm curious.. if you paid to have the bathtub stopper slabbed.. the one you just removed from the slab.. how much TOTAL was the cost to get it INTO the slab, including everything.. and if you want to break it down by line item (Postage there, Postage back, fees, any special fees for lable designations.. whatever).. how much did it cost you total, to get it into the slab you just removed it from?.. >>

Excellent question.

My local coin guy was going to charge me $45 per.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It took me about 1, maybe 2 minutes max. to open mine with the staple remover. The best part was I was able to keep pressure on the slab to keep it from falling apart and dropping the coin. >>

I'm curious.. if you paid to have the bathtub stopper slabbed.. the one you just removed from the slab.. how much TOTAL was the cost to get it INTO the slab, including everything.. and if you want to break it down by line item (Postage there, Postage back, fees, any special fees for lable designations.. whatever).. how much did it cost you total, to get it into the slab you just removed it from?.. >>

Raw actually sells for more than a SP68 and with fees, about even with what I had into it. That's why I sold the last two to CoinFame. The heck with playing coin roulette with PCGS. As I stated before, the coin looks flawless to me.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Excellent question.

My local coin guy was going to charge me $45 per. >>

At $45 you were not going to get 1st strike.
  • Options
    I thought I could get a 69 out of 5 -68DMPL`s had never tried it,If I had gotten a 69 it would have been worth it as it turned out My 68`s went south instead of north. You never know if you don't try. I wouldn't crack out coins unless I thought I could get an upgrade they just tightened up the grades at the wrong time for me.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    aw actually sells for more than a SP68 and with fees, about even with what I had into it.

True, if my two SP 68s don't sell to where I can recoup my costs for slabbing, I may pry them out of the holders.
  • Options
    With the way the prices are going now it`s best to buy your coins graded instead of raw and risking low grades from the TPG`s.
  • Options

<< <i>With the way the prices are going now it`s best to buy your coins graded instead of raw and risking low grades from the TPG`s. >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>With the way the prices are going now it`s best to buy your coins graded instead of raw and risking low grades from the TPG`s. >>

image >>

Even then, I have a funny feeling about these pucks. I just have that feeling they are not going to go anywhere.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

Even then, I have a funny feeling about these pucks. I just have that feeling they are not going to go anywhere. >>

I have felt this way for a while. The decline in silver price, if it continues really could clobber any interest in the ATBs. Then again, maybe a lower price entry point will bring more into collecting them. Hard to say which way it will go. image
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Raw actually sells for more than a SP68 and with fees, about even with what I had into it. That's why I sold the last two to CoinFame. The heck with playing coin roulette with PCGS. As I stated before, the coin looks flawless to me. >>

WhyyYYYyYyYyy can't PCGS, and the other guys, when grading any modern that gets less than a 70.. whether SP, MS, or PR.. why can't they send it back with a notation or a photograph with circles and arrows, EXPLAINING why it got the grade it did?.. Fer cryin' out loud, look at the millions they make in fees.. how much could it possibly cost them to shoot a photograph, and detail with notes and arrows, where they found "problems" to keep it from getting a 70.. these coins are HUGE.. I can't believe they just give them a thirty-second glance, as they do with "normal" coins, and base a grading decision on that..

Me, I'd NEVER send one of these in sealed, just to get FS on the label, and possibly a crappy grade..

I studied my Hot Springs when I got it.. studied it VERY carefully.. the devices, the rims, the edge lettering, the fields, all the detail on the building, and ALL I could find wrong with it was one teeny tiny mark on George's cheeck.. not a gouge.. not a gash.. a pinpoint mark.. ya can't even see it at arm's length.. and holding a three inch diameter coin at arm's length is like holding a "normal" coin a few inches from your face.. so I said to myself, "self, this wouldn't get a 70 no matter how drunk the grader was"..

I'm perfectly content to let it live in its OGP for as long as I own it, and I have no plans to sell it.. like I said before, the HS "P" is the only one I own, and I don't plan to buy another one until Mount Rushmore in 2013..

I also don't think there are 27,000 HS "P"s out there.. I think a lot of them were returned and melted, and the number of them in the hands of collectors could possibly be FAR lower than 27,000.. when and where and how we'll ever find out.. I don't have a clue..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are these PCGS 1st strike holders you are cracking?

If so it seems like a lot of money being thrown out the window. >>

when you get low grades, you decide that saving yourself from future spending is more worthwhile than keeping them in the holder.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited: All of the work for this post deleted. A forum member thought this to be "poof-worthy." I certainly don't want to test this theory. Sorry :-(
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    You should have used the staple remover. Much easier!
  • Options
    well after some thought and frustration on this item i am going to to go with this plan .. if it works out Great if not so be it ...

1. Buy 2 of each puck
    2. check them carefully
    3. Send in for grading ( Since i am basically throwing dice with grading anyway ,, why not go for Secure plus and see i get a 69+ ... $15 bucks ok whatever )
    4. If i get lucky (and thats a BIG IF ) and get a SP70 out of the 2... then great i win and have a extra whatever puck
    5. I get 2 69s i trade off for single SP70 of that issue
    6. Anything under 69s break them out of their slabs and use them for Skeet Shooting targets ...
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I think the obvious reason the graders do not send grading comments on why a coin got the grade it did when they return them to us is because that would markedly decrease revenues as people no longer sent in the coins they have with any of the minute imperfections that resulted in lower grades now being explained and educating the masses. We are all gamblers at heart and that is why we send in for grades in the hopes of hitting the jackpot.
    If we learn that this minor rim ding or that minute mark will clearly deny it a 70 grade we would all sent in less coins I think.
    They want to keep it smoke and mirrors. It keeps submission volume up.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    The cows still giving some milk, might as well milk it.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭
    'nuff said.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>5. I get 2 69s i trade off for single SP70 of that issue
    6. Anything under 69s break them out of their slabs and use them for Skeet Shooting targets ...
    image >>

I think you'd be lucky to get a 69...

and the 68's don't look bad. I thought the 68 was a 70 if you ask me.

I'm not sure what it's going to take to pull a 70 off of these.

Thus, these will be kept ungraded.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>You should have used the staple remover. Much easier! >>

Very true. However, it was just more satisfying using the chisel and hammer.
  • Options
    Edited: Best to be complete....
  • Options
    'nuff said.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hurry!!!! The Yo is Low!

Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for the 2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ – Yosemite National Park Coin. You may still place an order for this product, which will go on a waiting list. If a product becomes available due to an order cancellation, we will fulfill orders from the waiting list on a first-in, first-served basis. We cannot provide information about your position on the waiting list.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Sorry, this one's gone too... nothing to see here, move along...
  • Options

'nuff said.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>'nuff said. >>

Post padding? image

'nuff said. image
  • Options

All right All right. Good Night Now. image

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options

<< <i>All right All right. Good Night Now. image >>

Lots of whistling and looking at the sky going on here image All I can say is when there is smoke there is fire. I'm starting to choke on all the smoke. Hey.........I'm a poet and didn't know it image
  • Options

However some of the 68 DMPL`s Ive bought look worse than my 62`s, go figure sure is a pain not getting to look at internet buys better. The 69`s and 70`s Ive gotten lucky with they look great.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Sent in 10 HS and got 2 70's. Cherry picked 4 YS from 15 and got 2 70's and 2 69's. So far cherry picked 4 YO from 15 and just
    sent them in Yesterday. I'm getting very critical when looking at these coins and can find a flaw in just about everyone I look at
    now. I ended up getting stuck with the non-69/70 HS & YS pucks. I returned 11 of the 15 YO pucks. Now I have a system that
    works. I have access to 15 of each puck as they are released. I get them within 1 day they are delivered. If I keep the coin I pay
    $50 above cost. If I return the coin I pay nothing other that return shipping and packaging.
  • Options

<< <i>Sent in 10 HS and got 2 70's. Cherry picked 4 YS from 15 and got 2 70's and 2 69's. So far cherry picked 4 YO from 15 and just
    sent them in Yesterday. I'm getting very critical when looking at these coins and can find a flaw in just about everyone I look at
    now. I ended up getting stuck with the non-69/70 HS & YS pucks. I returned 11 of the 15 YO pucks. Now I have a system that
    works. I have access to 15 of each puck as they are released. I get them within 1 day they are delivered. If I keep the coin I pay
    $50 above cost. If I return the coin I pay nothing other that return shipping and packaging. >>

Sounds like a plan
  • Options
    Indeed. The 70s are certainly good for a quick flip. I would not bet on these in the future. 27K may well be a higher mintage year.

• Options

<< <i>I would not bet on these in the future. 27K may well be a higher mintage year. >>

I am betting they UP the mintage and remove the one per after a week.....This is a cash cow with them even at a price lower than $279.95
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would not bet on these in the future. 27K may well be a higher mintage year. >>

I am betting they UP the mintage and remove the one per after a week.....This is a cash cow with them even at a price lower than $279.95 >>

Joe
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    These go to 50k with price adjustments related to spot after 2011.
  • Options
    PinkFloydPinkFloyd Posts: 1,762
    The Mint will make more next year due to the 2+week sellouts this year. Ultimately, I agree, the mintages on the Ps will be lower than 27k.

However, the comparisons to the spouses only run so deep. The spouses cost 3x these each, and feature less popular designs. We'll see.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>I think the obvious reason the graders do not send grading comments on why a coin got the grade it did when they return them to us is because that would markedly decrease revenues as people no longer sent in the coins they have with any of the minute imperfections that resulted in lower grades now being explained and educating the masses. We are all gamblers at heart and that is why we send in for grades in the hopes of hitting the jackpot.
    If we learn that this minor rim ding or that minute mark will clearly deny it a 70 grade we would all sent in less coins I think.
    They want to keep it smoke and mirrors. It keeps submission volume up. >>

• Options

<< <i>Sent in 10 HS and got 2 70's. Cherry picked 4 YS from 15 and got 2 70's and 2 69's. So far cherry picked 4 YO from 15 and just
    $50 above cost. If I return the coin I pay nothing other that return shipping and packaging. >>

So if what we've heard from the mint regarding melting returns, you're actually contributing to lowering the mintage.
  • Options

<< <i>

So if what we've heard from the mint regarding melting returns, you're actually contributing to lowering the mintage. >>

Every one should return a few coins to the mint its not hard to find rejects.
  • Options
    Interesting thought ...will the mint calculate returns in the final mintage number .... i think not
  • Options

• Options

<< <i>Interesting thought ...will the mint calculate returns in the final mintage number .... i think not >>

I think they will but it takes a year for those numbers to come out.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    3rd coin I submitted (Yellowstone) graded a MS 68 P. I am done with these. I will just collect the 69 DMPLs. Dealers are not submitting the bullions for 69 DMPLs if they are going in the $350 range. Guess they don't see much of a profit return on these either.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like collector fatigue has set in. Too much in a short span of time.
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I'd bump this thread back up...as Yosemite is now showing backordered/wait list status.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=16310&langId=-1
  • Options
    Anyone have the direct link for tomorrow ?
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Anyone have the direct link for tomorrow ? >>

You mean, for TODAY? Tomorrow the Proof Eagles go on sale.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file