Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Got both of mine today. Sold them unopened! >>

Me too,

My 3rd one I am keeping at a cost of $170

Joe
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    My puck is missing in action. Both the Mint site and e-mail shows it was shipped yesterday. However, the UPS site shows only a label has been printed and the coin isn't in their possession.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>2 A's, 2 C's, and 1 F I should work for Apmex. >>

I can think of at leas one other (JH) who can duke it out for the coveted F grade. image
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭

Got 5 today and sent all 5 back. Field tics and rim dings on everyone, and that was without a glass. image
  • Options
    badhop55badhop55 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There's a new article dated 15 June, 2011, about these "P"oins on numismaticnews.net, in Dave Harper's NN Blog..

Link

Harper, who is the Editor-in-Chief of NN, is also holding a live Webinar tomorrow, 16 June, 2011, on the subject of Investing in Silver.. pre-registration is required to get the a personalized link to attend.. I can't post mine.. it's linked to my email address..

If you get their emailed newsletters, then you already know about it.. I believe it starts at 1pm PT.. it's mentioned in his Blog..

If you miss it, you're going to have to PAY to listen to it later.. I attend various tech Webinars and Webcasts on the InterWeb, and I've NEVER seen one that forced you to pay to watch / hear it again later, or if you missed it.. they're always free.. but NN has held three Webinars with Dave in the past three months, or this is his third one.. and they charge to download the archived version of it.. I'll withhold comment about that.. >>

This guy is out to lunch. The reason the $.50 and dollar coins didn't work is because no one wanted to carry them around as pocket change (they weigh too much) plus where do you spend a 50 cent piece anyway? And who carries a 5 oz bar in their pocket? He's talking as though these are the first 5 oz coins ever made which we all know isn't true. I have to wonder if he's had the same thoughts about the thousands of 5 oz Libertads, Rabbits and Pandas sold over the years. And as far as the slab goes not all are slabbed.

Plus, and this is important, as with the ASE these 5 oz silver coins are backed by the US Mint.
  • Options
    Got my first one today .. Lack of a better word its sweet ... not one mark on it even at 30x

will be waiting for puck 2 before submitting. But this one has great shot at SP70
  • Options

<< <i>My puck is missing in action. Both the Mint site and e-mail shows it was shipped yesterday. However, the UPS site shows only a label has been printed and the coin isn't in their possession. >>

Same was with mine yesterday and day before ... didn't show shipped by UPS until sometime after i went to bed and then BAM it was at the house this morning
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got my first one today .. Lack of a better word its sweet ... not one mark on it even at 30x

will be waiting for puck 2 before submitting. But this one has great shot at SP70 >>

that's what I've been saying with all of my ASE proofs..... all of them come back 69s.

My Hot Springs came back a SP69.

I'm hoping for a YS and YO 70, again. I don't know why I get my hopes up, again.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    i know the feeling on that one ...

4 HS all SP69
    4 YS 1 returned
    2 SP70
    1 SP69
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    06/29/2011 Grand Canyon National Park
    07/28/2011 Mount Hood National Forest
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder why the month wait for the MH?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    well maybe they pan on releasing now 1 per month for the rest of the year
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    I submitted some of the bullion and P versions last week to PCGS.

1 1 20530067 505105 2010-P 25C Hot Springs NP - 5 oz Silver US SP68
    2 1 20530068 505106 2010-P 25C Yellowstone NP - 5 oz Silver US SP68
    3 1 20530069 506575 2010 25C Grand Canyon NP - 5 oz Silver US MS69DM
    4 1 20530070 506590 2010 25C Yosemite NP - 5 oz Silver US MS63PL

Ouch. I though at least a 69s for the SPs....

I will have to rethink my stategy of trying make 70s myself.

Happy about the Crand Canyon DM anyway. This was a raw coin from MTB.

Shared Order Page with Trueviews
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>I submitted some of the bullion and P versions last week to PCGS.

Shared Order Page with Trueviews >>

MS63PL?.. image Oy!.. well, don't shoot yourself.. it happens.. last year I submitted a gorgeous 1950s Franklin Half, (it's in the safe, so I can't remember the year / Mintmark).. blast white, full "Pass and Stowe", clean and mark-free as could be.. which I was convinced 1000% it was FBL, and would make MS64 with a shot at MS65.. it came back from PCGS MS62 FBL - image .. I still think the grader was drunk, but whaddya gonna do?.. at least I got it half right.. it WAS FBL..

By the way, your link to your "Shared Order Page" results in this::

"Order # 20509349 was not found.
    It may belong to a different account.
    Use the <Back> button to see your orders"..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I submitted some of the bullion and P versions last week to PCGS.

Shared Order Page with Trueviews >>

Did you submit as "Modern?"
  • Options
    greetings

been lurking for a while and decided to finally reg

The ATB's brought me here and you all seem very knowledgeable and passionate about them image

Did anyone ever consider how much a complete set of the unc pucks will cost? $16,000 for 280 oz = $57/oz

I am also new to grading and am wondering how much it costs to have a ATB graded?

Thanks

• Options
    Question for those who've had P pucks graded: I've seen a lot of posts about SP69 and worse P pucks. For those who've received them, did they look perfect and yet get 69s?

I have two Yos. P pucks that look truly flawless under the loupe, and I do mean flawless, rims included. I certainly don't want to waste money and get back 69s. I'm very interested in hearing from those who've received 69 P pucks w/respect to what they looked like prior to sending them in.

Thanks.
  • Options
    One thing i have noticed is the difference in my 70s and the 69s i have gotten back is the rim on the Obverse. It may a have little shiny sections barely visible unless you really look close. That is the only difference i was able to find on the ones i have had graded.

One thing i been thinking about is since i am taking the chance anyway ... why not go for the Secure plus and try for a 69+
  • Options
    Anyone know the current sales figures on NP3 so far ?
  • Options

Text
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>23,104

Text >>

Dammit we need Yosemite to hurry up and sell out.

I hope the P pucks are not losing steam.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    If it does not sell out before the Grand Canyon release then maybe the price would come down?

$209.95 seems about right

• Options

<< <i>If it does not sell out before the Grand Canyon release then maybe the price would come down?

$209.95 seems about right >>

Oh man that is funny, it's unfortunate but there is almost no chance they lower the price.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>One thing i have noticed is the difference in my 70s and the 69s i have gotten back is the rim on the Obverse. It may a have little shiny sections barely visible unless you really look close. That is the only difference i was able to find on the ones i have had graded.

One thing i been thinking about is since i am taking the chance anyway ... why not go for the Secure plus and try for a 69+ >>

Thanks for the grading info!

I just got the scores back on my very carefully cherry-picked HS and YS - SP69 and worse. It must be the edges as you note. That said, I looked at the edges very carefully w/a loupe in different lighting and at different angles. They looked perfect. The surfaces looked perfect. I have no idea what they're looking for. I'm not playing the grading game with the P pucks anymore. I don't buy it for this issue. I think that some of this must be arbitrary between a 69 and a 70.

I must have missed something on the those lower than 69, but I don't know what.

I'll order three of each, keep the best in OGP and sell the other two. I think that it's very unlikely that the 2010 P pucks will be the low mintage keys, thus making wasting more money on grading all the less appealing.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dammit we need Yosemite to hurry up and sell out.

I hope the P pucks are not losing steam. >>

Maybe the novelty is wearing off, especially at the premiums they are charging over silver value. Maybe we'll see some low mintages in the future especially for some of the less popular and more obscure park locations.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does a "shiny section" or even a lustre break if it is secondary to very mild die erosion merit dropping a coin's MS/SP/P status?

If a coin is EXACTLY as it came off the die even with a planchet defect then it is as struck IMO. If there are no post mint alterations such as hairlines, dings, etc. then I have trouble seeing how it drops a coin in grade (or SEVEN!).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2010-P Pucks will be the only wild card in the series. We know that they were short struck at 27,000. What we don't know is the long term demand.

What we don't know is how many collectors will materialize that will want to pay a 60% premium over melt on a $175 silver coin, 5 times a year for the next 10 years.

If 27,000 turns out to be a middle of the road mintage with some of the series in the 10,000 range - what will that do to the 2010 Regular Issue Pucks at 33,000 mintages?

I think this series is a replay of the Gold Spouses, at a lower price point and with significantly more space and storage issues.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Dammit we need Yosemite to hurry up and sell out.

I hope the P pucks are not losing steam. >>

Maybe the novelty is wearing off, especially at the premiums they are charging over silver value. Maybe we'll see some low mintages in the future especially for some of the less popular and more obscure park locations. >>

It does feel like that. Maybe silver can climb toward $50 and ounce again to help the value.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does UPS make a 2nd attempt the next day or later the same day? My tracking number didn't show a delivery date until this morning, for this morning, and nobody is home.
  • Options
    Thanks for the grading info!

I just got the scores back on my very carefully cherry-picked HS and YS - SP69 and worse. It must be the edges as you note. That said, I looked at the edges very carefully w/a loupe in different lighting and at different angles. They looked perfect. The surfaces looked perfect. I have no idea what they're looking for. I'm not playing the grading game with the P pucks anymore. I don't buy it for this issue. I think that some of this must be arbitrary between a 69 and a 70.

I must have missed something on the those lower than 69, but I don't know what.

I'll order three of each, keep the best in OGP and sell the other two. I think that it's very unlikely that the 2010 P pucks will be the low mintage keys, thus making wasting more money on grading all the less appealing.

Raufus,

I thought my HS and YS SPs were 70 candidates. I think it is the edges. My coins were mark free. You can see my true view pics links I posted earlier. If the edges are not fully struck, my guess is you get a 68 like my two received. I will not be submitting anytime soon. Its not worth the $100 in grading fees I paid for these two P versions. I may just stick to graded 69 DMPLs and just buy one of the P versions each and keep raw.

• Options
    How does a "shiny section" or even a lustre break if it is secondary to very mild die erosion merit dropping a coin's MS/SP/P status?

If a coin is EXACTLY as it came off the die even with a planchet defect then it is as struck IMO. If there are no post mint alterations such as hairlines, dings, etc. then I have trouble seeing how it drops a coin in grade (or SEVEN!).

Exactly what a 70 should be_as struck if I am going by any TPG guidelines. My 70 that I returned had a dark imbedded blotch on it, but I am assuming it got the 70 because it was as struck with the blotch imbedded in the coin.
  • Options
    I think this series is a replay of the Gold Spouses, at a lower price point and with significantly more space and storage issues.

I agree that I don't see 27K collectors as a minimum for this series. I do not see fast sellouts of the 2010 P versions, though it is summer and most sales die down this time of year. The less popular ones, my guess will be below 10K. I don't think the 2010s will be the lowest mintage. Even MCM lowered their price of the Gettysburg 69 DPMLs at $379 from $460. The demand is not there or collectors are waiting for prices to drop further.
  • Options
    pf70collector.....
    could you post that trueview I would love to see it. I can not see your pics from your link, for some reason.
  • Options

<< <i>Does UPS make a 2nd attempt the next day or later the same day? My tracking number didn't show a delivery date until this morning, for this morning, and nobody is home. >>

My delivery person sometimes makes an afternoon visit if the Next Day Air was not delivered in the AM..seems like they deliver the Next Day's first and then add it to their normal rest of the day deliveries.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Does UPS make a 2nd attempt the next day or later the same day? My tracking number didn't show a delivery date until this morning, for this morning, and nobody is home. >>

My delivery person sometimes makes an afternoon visit if the Next Day Air was not delivered in the AM..seems like they deliver the Next Day's first and then add it to their normal rest of the day deliveries. >>

Thanks

I'm not home until way later tonight, so I can't see the slip to see if they're coming later or tomorrow. People will be there tomorrow so I'm hoping for that.
  • Options
    If you go to the shared order page my submission number is 20509349. I am not good at posting pics here.

Submission # 20509349

On page three sixth from the bottom

Shared Orders

The Yosemite 63 PL got that grade I believe because of hairline scratches that I did not notice. These scratches do not show up on the true view photos. Other than the hairlines it might have graded a lot higher.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will leave a notice telling you when the next attempt will be made to deliver. You can call them and make arrangements to pick it up at your local UPS distribution facility. Also, the notice has a place where you can tell them to leave it at a neighbor's house---you need to sign the notice and put it back on the door and the neighbor will need to be home to sign for the package. They make three delivery attempts before they give up and ship it back to the sender.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    just go on their web site with their tracking number. You can arrange to pick up the package at their facility also. I find that easier if i am not home.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

They will leave a notice telling you when the next attempt will be made to deliver. You can call them and make arrangements to pick it up at your local UPS distribution facility. Also, the notice has a place where you can tell them to leave it at a neighbor's house---you need to sign the notice and put it back on the door and the neighbor will need to be home to sign for the package. They make three delivery attempts before they give up and ship it back to the sender. >>

My daughter left a note with the first delivery notice. The note said to deliver to my address and the next day it showed up with a UPS generated label with her name and my address.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

They will leave a notice telling you when the next attempt will be made to deliver. You can call them and make arrangements to pick it up at your local UPS distribution facility. Also, the notice has a place where you can tell them to leave it at a neighbor's house---you need to sign the notice and put it back on the door and the neighbor will need to be home to sign for the package. They make three delivery attempts before they give up and ship it back to the sender. >>

Well not quite, after 3 attempts they then hold it at the UPS facility for about 5 days then it gets sent back. But don't worry, even if it does get sent back the Mint will send it to you one more time.

• Options

<< <i>" Well not quite, after 3 attempts they then hold it at the UPS facility for about 5 days then it gets sent back" >>

Correct....I tried to have them hold #2 P puck since I was on vacay for the week. They told me they would still make the 3 attempts and then hold for 5 days...
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well still on my road trip coming back from my sisters funeral in calif and got the email my grades were in. Sitting in a hotel in st louis and I can say I will not send anymore coins in to be graded. The results of 4 2 yellowstones 68 and 69 and two hot springs BOTH 68 I am done, I guess I just don"t have that special eye to understand why those are 68"s fresh from the mint. Now throw me a bone all i was hoping for was 1 70. I mean I looked at these four hard and again I MUST need new glasses. I love this site and all the great people. Oh well its been a heck of a two week trip any will be glad to be back home tomorrow. Sorry for the vent, Guess i just need to give up on buying or sending these pucks in............................image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    You're not the only one that's going to give up sending these in.

Sent in what I thought were 70's and I pull 69/68.

I'll just keep them raw.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    3 raw coins fresh from the mint especially on the P puck`s you should get at least 1- 70 on clean coins, and a lot of the MS 68`s should have gone 69. I don't know what they are seeing, each grade should come with notes on the reason for down grades this should not be hard to add into the grading process. It looks like we need to buy pre graded coins I think it will be much cheaper in the long run.
  • Options
    I'm not buying anyone's coins but my own.

if they don't grade 70, then I'll take what I get. If I get <69s, then I'll just top submitting them.

it's that simple.

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I also sent in what I thought was a flawless fresh from the mint Hot Springs P puck and it came back a 69.
    It looked clean even under a loop and with a big professional magnifying glass.
    No more submissions from me.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also sent in what I thought was a flawless fresh from the mint Hot Springs P puck and it came back a 69.
    It looked clean even under a loop and with a big professional magnifying glass.
    No more submissions from me. >>

Same here. I couldn't find any issues with my HS and it came back a 68. I though maybe it was because I don't submit alot of coins or because I selected "economy" but now I think otherwise based on what you guys are saying. I do wish they would describe why they grade the way they do.
  • Options
    I couldn't agree more .. there should be a indication of why it is graded at a certain value for these pucks.... Oh wait if we knew would we be sending in so many image
  • Options

<< <i>I couldn't agree more .. there should be a indication of why it is graded at a certain value for these pucks.... Oh wait if we knew would we be sending in so many image >>

Maybe they could put some pics on Photo grade ??
  • Options

<< <i>Well still on my road trip coming back from my sisters funeral in calif and got the email my grades were in. >>

Tommy, I'm very sorry for your loss!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file