Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You're not the only one that's going to give up sending these in.

Sent in what I thought were 70's and I pull 69/68.

I'll just keep them raw. >>

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    I have learned an expensive lesson (again) and will not have any more of these graded...While getting 69's is OK the cost does not justify sending them in especially when you only sent in the "perfect" ones....

At over $50 per it is just not worth the cost

• Options
    ObiwancanoliObiwancanoli Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭
    Just yesterday, my 2nd YO arrived. Got two of the YS & YO, for now I'm going to keep them as they were sent - unopened. Never really planned to send them in, but having read these recent posts, I think it's a safer bet - if one can call it that - to keep them boxed.

I'll keep one of each, eventually. Plan to pick up GC, too...

Grading would seem to have better potential with the ASE's about to arrive...
    UBERCOINER

A Truth That's Told With Bad Intent
    Beats All The Lies You Can Invent
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have learned an expensive lesson (again) and will not have any more of these graded...While getting 69's is OK the cost does not justify sending them in especially when you only sent in the "perfect" ones.... At over $50 per it is just not worth the cost >>

Amen. My sentiments exactly. I'm keeping my P pucks in mint OGP. I'll buy the bullion ones I want already slabbed and after the initial "frenzy" over each new issue subsides. The cost/reward of grading my own just doesn't pencil out for me anymore...
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally got my YO. Looks clean as can be, unlike my last one that had a dig on it. To the pile it goes.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Is it a possibility that these big grading services have struck deals with Telemarketers or other large firms, and therefore might have a vested interest in keeping the grades down for lowly individual submitters such as ourselves? I'm not just talking the pucks, but all modern releases.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Is it a possibility that these big grading services have struck deals with Telemarketers or other large firms, and therefore might have a vested interest in keeping the grades down for lowly individual submitters such as ourselves? I'm not just talking the pucks, but all modern releases.

I have sent plenty of moderns to PCGS and I have had my fair share of 70 grades. I do not have dealer status at all with any of the TPGs. 70's, that at the time, I could have sold for 5K. I think the TPGs treat everyone fairly whether you are a large submitter or not. However, when a coin is in a 70 holder that I feel does not deserve it, I do challenge it and when they had Presidential Reviews, Mr. Hall would concur with me.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I do not like these P coins at all so do not own any.

I think the mint got it wrong in making the collector series the blasted ones.

The bright brilliant bullion version is much more desirable and will continue to be.

That is all I am going to buy.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Well I bought a Hot Springs SP70 on the open market and it HAS a small ding on the obverse. Nothing major, but I would NOT have sent it in and I bet if I cracked it out and sent it in raw I'd get a 69.

I think that is more of the issue. Buying a 70 and seeing it's worse than your 69. From this, one can only surmise that a large dealer sent these in and PCGS had to give him his quota of 70's.

Buy the label, not the coin...I guess...

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not like these P coins at all so do not own any.

The bright brilliant bullion version is much more desirable and will continue to be.

That is all I am going to buy. >>

That might be true for the 2010 but after that, the glut starting in 2011 will kill them. I do agree with you that the Mint got is wrong when it comes to the finiish.
  • Options

<< <i>Well I bought a Hot Springs SP70 on the open market and it HAS a small ding on the obverse. Nothing major, but I would NOT have sent it in and I bet if I cracked it out and sent it in raw I'd get a 69.

I think that is more of the issue. Buying a 70 and seeing it's worse than your 69. From this, one can only surmise that a large dealer sent these in and PCGS had to give him his quota of 70's.

Buy the label, not the coin...I guess... >>

That is what rubs me the wrong way. As stated above, I couldn't any issues with my HS - I looked at it 4 times under artificial light and natural light yet it came back as a SP68. I guess it just depends on what day it is (remember the old saying, you don’t want a car built Monday morning or Friday afternoon) or they are just slamming them out without taking a REAL GOOD LOOK.

But when they don't send something identifying why it got the grade, it is easy just throw a number on them and send them back. Who know, they may grade on the curve rather than quality.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I bought a Hot Springs SP70 on the open market and it HAS a small ding on the obverse. Nothing major, but I would NOT have sent it in and I bet if I cracked it out and sent it in raw I'd get a 69.

Or something like that.

Well, if it was an HS early submission, I'm pretty sure the graders hadn't seen enough examples to base judgment on. After you've graded enough early dealer submissions, you've got the knowledge and experience under your belt to crack down and be really critical of the coins you are grading two weeks later and get it right. image
  • Options

<< <i>

Or something like that.

Well, if it was an HS early submission, I'm pretty sure the graders hadn't seen enough examples to base judgment on. After you've graded enough early dealer submissions, you've got the knowledge and experience under your belt to crack down and be really critical of the coins you are grading two weeks later and get it right. image >>

I dont agree with that thought of not enough samples ... they were grading the Bullion pucks with more then sufficient time before the "P" Pucks...
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I dont agree with that thought of not enough samples ... they were grading the Bullion pucks with more then sufficient time before the "P" Pucks... >>

Sorry, I should have set the sarcasm level in my post to kill instead of tickle, I didn't do a very good job.

I was just making fun of the same argument presented by another forum member in the puck bullion thread explaining why there were so many early high grades and later the high grade population drops off.
  • Options
    So, has anyone crack one of these guys out of one of those monster slabs?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I dont agree with that thought of not enough samples ... they were grading the Bullion pucks with more then sufficient time before the "P" Pucks... >>

Sorry, I should have set the sarcasm level in my post to kill instead of tickle, I didn't do a very good job.

I was just making fun of the same argument presented by another forum member in the puck bullion thread explaining why there were so many early high grades and later the high grade population drops off. >>

It is a crazy deal. I sure wanted to send some P's in for grading. I was able to resist. If I do send they will ship to a Florida address.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for
    the 2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ – Yosemite National Park Coin
  • Options

<< <i>So, has anyone crack one of these guys out of one of those monster slabs? >>

I broke out 5 yosemites 68DMPL got back (1) 68DMPL and (4) 67DMPL`s was hoping for a 69
  • Options
    hat might be true for the 2010 but after that, the glut starting in 2011 will kill them. I do agree with you that the Mint got is wrong when it comes to the finiish.

Collectors may be staying away from the 2011 bullion versions. A drop in the 2011 MS 69 DMPLs pricing is emerging. Perhaps the Summer slow down? I think the FS label though will be limited. Unless PCGS will certify an entire 10 count roll as FS right away like they do with ASEs so they can be submitted later on as such. I would think it would be less expensive this way than sending an entire box for FS once the deadline passes.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Waiting List Notice: The number of orders we have taken meets the maximum limit for
    the 2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coin™ – Yosemite National Park Coin >>

Good God. It took 14 days to sell 27k? I was under the impression that collectors were breaking down the door to get these.
    The Mint is going to have a plate full when they try to sell the 2011-P with a much larger mintage. Never gonna happen @ $279 per puck. I'm sticking with the bullion pucks which can be had as low as $2.99 per oz above spot.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

If they make a larger amount of these P coins , they will be melting these nasty things!
  • Options

<< <i>If they make a larger amount of these P coins , they will be melting these nasty things! >>

I really think they have to know that with a higher mintage they will have to drop the premium. I won't buy multiples for sure. The buyers better come pretty fast.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So, has anyone crack one of these guys out of one of those monster slabs? >>

I broke out 5 yosemites 68DMPL got back (1) 68DMPL and (4) 67DMPL`s was hoping for a 69 >>

Same method, hammer properly applied to the side?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not like these P coins at all so do not own any.

That is all I am going to buy. >>

That might be true for the 2010 but after that, the glut starting in 2011 will kill them. I do agree with you that the Mint got is wrong when it comes to the finiish. >>

Pitboss, I was talking about the bullion (Non-P) version. They are minting something like 140,000 of each issue. There just isn't enough collector base to support that many coins, IMOP.
  • Options
    I was off by a little:

"The United States Mint has indicated that an initial quantity of 126,700 of the Vicksburg five ounce silver coins will be available."

Notice "initial".
  • Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

If "PCGS had to give (a dealer) his quota of 70s", and gave one of these things a 70, when it had a visible ding on the Obverse, there is something very very wrong about that.. the graders are not supposed to know who submitted any given coin.. I've also been wondering if the graders spend as much time examining a huge coin which so much real estate, as they do a cent / nickel / dime / quarter / half / or $.. which, from everything I've ever read, is about half a minute per coin..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I think this series is a replay of the Gold Spouses, at a lower price point and with significantly more space and storage issues.

I agree that I don't see 27K collectors as a minimum for this series. I do not see fast sellouts of the 2010 P versions, though it is summer and most sales die down this time of year. The less popular ones, my guess will be below 10K. I don't think the 2010s will be the lowest mintage. Even MCM lowered their price of the Gettysburg 69 DPMLs at $379 from $460. The demand is not there or collectors are waiting for prices to drop further. >>

pf70-

Thanks very much for your comments. No more P puck submissions for me. I think that future issues will be a lot lower.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>You're not the only one that's going to give up sending these in.

Sent in what I thought were 70's and I pull 69/68.

I'll just keep them raw. >>

If these were likely to be the low mintage series keys, I'd spring for a 70 w/MCM or FeeBay. That not being the case, no way. Whichever ends up being the key will do well, but, like the Julia FS, the key will be to recognized this early and get a 70 as soon as you do.
  • Options

Incredible! My 69s and 68s were sooooo clean. Incredible.
  • Options

<< <i>

I broke out 5 yosemites 68DMPL got back (1) 68DMPL and (4) 67DMPL`s was hoping for a 69 >>

How do you break these things out of the slabs. I would really appreciate any info on this. Hammer to the side?? Sounds risky. Any other methods. Thanks!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Same method, hammer properly applied to the side? >>

Hammer and chisel along the seam away from the coin tap lightly. breaks easily.
  • Options
    Could the mint turn the p pucks from vapor to proof strikes?
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    I purchased the P versions of the Yosemite from the US Mint. It is just came today. Should I open the box to look at it, or is there any value to keep it sealed for a First Strike submission?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

<< <i>I purchased the P versions of the Yosemite from the US Mint. It is just came today. Should I open the box to look at it, or is there any value to keep it sealed for a First Strike submission? >>

YES! There is value in keeping it sealed and FS eligable. MCM, etc. will only buy sealed pucks as well.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got mine in today and opened it, as it's something I wanted to keep, being a Yosemite fan. (I make it there about once every two years) Good job, Mint-- the thing looks perfect to me!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I purchased the P versions of the Yosemite from the US Mint. It is just came today. Should I open the box to look at it, or is there any value to keep it sealed for a First Strike submission? >>

YES! There is value in keeping it sealed and FS eligable. MCM, etc. will only buy sealed pucks as well. >>

My only concern is, i ordered mine a couple days after they went on sale, and just received it today. Do you think i got someone else's return?
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

<< <i> I was talking about the bullion (Non-P) version. They are minting something like 140,000 of each issue. There just isn't enough collector base to support that many coins, IMOP. >>

I think the idea was that these were to be bullion replacements/additions to the ASE's and were not predicated on a "collector base" ...purely a silver tool that became a collector item because of the mintage mess up with the 2010's. They should be no different than the 2011 ASE's and minted to demand .... well, they are bigger
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

YES! There is value in keeping it sealed and FS eligable. MCM, etc. will only buy sealed pucks as well. >>

My only concern is, i ordered mine a couple days after they went on sale, and just received it today. Do you think i got someone else's return? >>

The only way to tell is to open it and look at it. Are there any defects visible to the naked eye? If no, you probably didn't get a reject. There has been a practice by some of ordering multiple coins and sending back any that are less than perfect for a refund.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With silver dropping like a rock, what is the chance that the mint will drop the price on the next 5 oz puck? There will come a point when the mark-up over current silver melt value will be high enough to hurt sales.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options
    Two chances-slim and none. The only way the price would have changed is if silver had gone up. Then we would be paying more.
    "The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".
  • Options
    I think the Olympic Bullion is only around 80K distributed to the APs. Demand not there? They may have minted 140K, but the APs are not buying their full allotment? According to NumismaticNews.net:

For the third week in a row the Mint has sold no 2011 Olympic 5-ounce coins to
    Authorized Purchasers, though last week had a small catch-up adjustment to the running total.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on silver, we really need the price per ounce to start heading back up soon to fuel the puck frenzy again.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    My only concern is, i ordered mine a couple days after they went on sale, and just received it today. Do you think i got someone else's return? >>

Same here, although I ordered 1st day and just got mine yesterday. I say no on the returns, think they just were minting them and sending them out, mine looks perfect.

Aren't we impatient with a whole 2 week process - ha.
  • Options

<< <i>With silver dropping like a rock, what is the chance that the mint will drop the price on the next 5 oz puck? There will come a point when the mark-up over current silver melt value will be high enough to hurt sales. >>

I think the 1st 5 are set at $279.95....the next group will most likely be in the $239.95 range and that will still be high
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

How do you break these things out of the slabs. I would really appreciate any info on this. Hammer to the side?? Sounds risky. Any other methods. Thanks!! >>

Hack saw or coping saw. Cut all four sides around the coin. Don't hit the coin.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

How do you break these things out of the slabs. I would really appreciate any info on this. Hammer to the side?? Sounds risky. Any other methods. Thanks!! >>

Hack saw or coping saw. Cut all four sides around the coin. Don't hit the coin. >>

Thanks! Heading to Home Depot after work...
  • Options
    Funny, I reading this at my desk at home and my Stanley Bostitech push style staple remover was laying there. So, I took my SP68, found a small spot the tip of the staple remover would fit in the slab's joint and gave it a bit of a twist. POP!, so I just started moving around the slab - pop, pop, pop pop . . . Now it is back in the original Gov. packaging.

It was very simple, safe and alot faster than sawing.
  • Options
    I always heard using bolt cutters right at the edge on each side would snap the holder in half.
  • Options
    It took me about 1, maybe 2 minutes max. to open mine with the staple remover. The best part was I was able to keep pressure on the slab to keep it from falling apart and dropping the coin.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    these seem to be a softer plastic than the regular holders.

I'd think some form of cutting tool would go right through them, but I haven't tried it yet.

don't forget the anesthesia.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file