Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I was just looking over the Yellowstones prior to sending them in for grading. One of them has a brownish, coffee looking stain on the reverse under the "W" :-(

Anyone else see this?? >>

Probably tobacco juice from the dude packing the coin....none on my three

Also: I do not see a FS cutoff date for the 2010 P pucks. Am I correct to assume that they will be treated the same as the bullion pucks will all eligible?

I would rather wait for the June 9 puck and submit them together since they shipped the last ones so fast
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was just looking over the Yellowstones prior to sending them in for grading. One of them has a brownish, coffee looking stain on the reverse under the "W" :-(

A dip with a really thorough rinse may save this coin. Sounds like it may be lubricating oil from the mint machinery.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    Voltaire: Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero.

• Options

<< <i>How quickly did the first year hags sellout? >>

This is not a valid comparison. The first lady coins are very expensive and the the subject matter is not very popular while the 5 oz silver ATB coins are more affordable and the subject matter is far more interesting with more artistic potential.

• Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know the percentages of Hot Springs (NP1) that are grading in 70 across the street ? It appears that PCGS has graded about 30% of the Hot Springs in SP70. Too small of sample of Yellowstones (2 of 2) to be able to comment on the success of those. At $39 for the large holders I'm not sure if it makes sense to send these in for grading if the percentage is low.
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> .............

Also: I do not see a FS cutoff date for the 2010 P pucks. Am I correct to assume that they will be treated the same as the bullion pucks will all eligible?

I would rather wait for the June 9 puck and submit them together since they shipped the last ones so fast >>

I recall a few pages back someone mentioned June 4 as the cutoff for FS P HS.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I am buying three of each P issue on the what I think is the very off chance that they end up being the keys. I plan to watch future issues and chase the low mintages a bit. I think that we will see some much lower mintage Ps in the future, much like he Hags. >>

How do you define "keys?" >>

Lowest mintage.

As to the Hags, I don't recall. That is a great question. Does anyone remember? >>

The Hags sold out in approx 8 Hours, 80K coins total, or approx 34 Million in Gold...Both Martha and Abagail were released at the same time...40K split between both finishes...IIIRC order limits were 10 of each finish per spouse. I ordered the max...image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I am buying three of each P issue on the what I think is the very off chance that they end up being the keys. I plan to watch future issues and chase the low mintages a bit. I think that we will see some much lower mintage Ps in the future, much like he Hags. >>

How do you define "keys?" >>

Lowest mintage.

As to the Hags, I don't recall. That is a great question. Does anyone remember? >>

The Hags sold out in approx 8 Hours, 80K coins total, or approx 34 Million in Gold...Both Martha and Abagail were released at the same time...40K split between both finishes...IIIRC order limits were 10 of each finish per spouse. I ordered the max...image >>

How are they doing now in the secondary coin market?

• Options
    hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

This is not a valid comparison. The first lady coins are very expensive and the the subject matter is not very popular while the 5 oz silver ATB coins are more affordable and the subject matter is far more interesting with more artistic potential. >>

Keep in mind, for whatever it's worth, which may be nothing, that at least up to Jefferson's Liberty, the first three First Spouse Golds were barely over $400.00..

Order Process Date: 8/30/07

Merchandise : 410.95
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 415.90

1. 2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (TJ) (X06)
    Qty 1 @ $410.95 - Backordered 09/24/07.

The Proof was $10.00 more, or somethinig like that.. .

So Hot S"P"rings, and "P"ellowstone were $131.00 less than the first three FS Golds, (assuming Mrs. Washington and Mrs. Adams were also $410.95, which I don't remember).. and 27,000 vs. 20,000 each Mintage.. so I don't know if I'd call those early Golds "very" expensive compared to the 2010 "P"latters.. and I don't remember how fast those first few Golds sold out.. but..

As Gold started to climb, so did the prices, and the Mintages went lower and lower.. four years later, the current crop are over $900.00 each, which I WOULD call "very expensive," and selling about 5000 each, give or take.. with a few of the recent issues barely hitting 3000 sold.. one could say the Mint is creating instant rarities, I suppose.. but can one really compare an enormous five ounce platter, made from a metal that peaked close to $50.00 an ounce, and is currently hovering around $37.00, to a half ounce Gold coin about the size of a quarter, made from a metal that's currently around $1540.00 an ounce?..

Whether it's the ugly designs, the high price, the economy, people who don't have deep pockets being unwilling to spend over $900.00 for them, or some combination of any or all of those, I dunno..

Also, I hate political correctness as much as anyone, but the constant referral to the FS Golds as "hags" bugs me.. the standards of feminine beauty (or lack of it).. has changed tremendously over the centuries.. what would George Washington have thought of Lady Gaga, or for that matter, 21nd century babes covered with tattoos and piercings with 12-color hair?.. What would she have thought of men who wore powdered wigs, kneepants, and had never heard of the word "anti-persperant"?..

Mary Todd Lincoln was certainly no raving beauty, but on the other hand, Abe Lincoln was no Mel Gibson (or pick someone else famous and contemporary, who you'd deem "handsome")..

Would you kids call Dolley Madison a "hag"?..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Options
    paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> .......

Also, I hate political correctness as much as anyone, but the constant referral to the FS Golds as "hags" bugs me.. the standards of feminine beauty (or lack of it).. has changed tremendously over the centuries.. what would George Washington have thought of Lady Gaga, or for that matter, 21nd century babes covered with tattoos and piercings with 12-color hair?.. ..

..... >>

I'm old enough to remember the 50's. War was over. Plentiful jobs. Prosperity. A time when, as Michael Savage so aptly noted, "the chrome was thick and the women were straight."

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    chiefbobchiefbob Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> .......

Also, I hate political correctness as much as anyone, but the constant referral to the FS Golds as "hags" bugs me.. the standards of feminine beauty (or lack of it).. has changed tremendously over the centuries.. what would George Washington have thought of Lady Gaga, or for that matter, 21nd century babes covered with tattoos and piercings with 12-color hair?.. ..

..... >>

I'm old enough to remember the 50's. War was over. Plentiful jobs. Prosperity. A time when, as Michael Savage so aptly noted, "the chrome was thick and the women were straight." >>

Retired Air Force 1965-2000
    Vietnam Vet 1968-1969
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone know the percentages of Hot Springs (NP1) that are grading in 70 across the street ? It appears that PCGS has graded about 30% of the Hot Springs in SP70. Too small of sample of Yellowstones (2 of 2) to be able to comment on the success of those. At $39 for the large holders I'm not sure if it makes sense to send these in for grading if the percentage is low. >>

And of these SP70's that members here got, if any, did your coin have the wrinkle in the words on the reverse?

• Options
    First mint product I've ever bought. Sent 2 of 3 back. How does QC miss this stuff?

• Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    Is that the HS or Yellowstone coin?

In the 3rd pix, that isn't what I think it is, is it?
  • Options
    New 2010 Yellowstone that came out a week or so ago.

First pic is a strike-thru, 2nd is a tick right in the middle of the neck. Very distracting. 3rd are 2 spots, (one is under the ear)
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen those on bullion ASEs.

They were graded 70s and I can only assume they turned in the holders.

You have my sympathies.

PS. did you catch my request on the bullion mega thread for a "cost justification" for auditing the APs???

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    No worrries, they have them back and I'm waiting on new ones image
  • Options
    Granted yes i am new here .... but ....

I dont think the mint has a QC image
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No worrries, they have them back and I'm waiting on new ones image >>

The Mint says that they melt the returns...image
  • Options

The mint recyles. You'll may get someone elses returned problem coin and he'll likely get yours. I returned a defective proof gold coin and the replacement was worse than the one that I returned. Hopefully you'll make out all right but be prepared for a second return for a refund.

• Options

<< <i>First mint product I've ever bought. Sent 2 of 3 back. How does QC miss this stuff? >>

There are two QC guys.. one of 'em was home, sick.. the other's on vacation." ..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • Options
    Nope, there are three. The other one was on duty just like he was when he gave his good buddy those shinny new 1933 saints!
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody have a pic of their Numismatic version of the YellowStone ATB in hand that i can see pretty please? image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do. I have no idea how to post pics here. If you send/pm me your personal email I'll send it to you.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

A dip with a really thorough rinse may save this coin. Sounds like it may be lubricating oil from the mint machinery. >>

Thanks for the info. That may well be it.
  • Options

<< <i>

This is not a valid comparison. The first lady coins are very expensive and the the subject matter is not very popular while the 5 oz silver ATB coins are more affordable and the subject matter is far more interesting with more artistic potential. >>

I would be thrilled if you're right.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anybody have a pic of their Numismatic version of the YellowStone ATB in hand that i can see pretty please? image >>

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> .............

I would rather wait for the June 9 puck and submit them together since they shipped the last ones so fast >>

I recall a few pages back someone mentioned June 4 as the cutoff for FS P HS. >>

I was told by a PCGS rep that it was June 10. Does anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    Another question would be do they have to have it in hand or just post marked within the 30 day window?
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight from the PCGS website:

Beginning in 2005, PCGS began designating coins packaged and delivered by the U.S. Mint in the 30 day period following the initial sales date of a new product as First Strike®. For instance, new American Silver Eagles typically go on sale each January 1st, thus any coin packaged or delivered and submitted to PCGS for certification between January 1 and January 31 qualifies for the First Strike® designation.

There are two ways PCGS can verify if a coin was shipped out from the mint within the first 30 days. The first is when a coin is shipped to PCGS from the customer with a postmarked date before the cutoff date for that particular coin. In this example, PCGS only needs the coin to be mailed in. No extra mint packaging is needed (i.e. boxes, certificates, etc.).

The second way PCGS can verify that a coin qualifies for First Strike designation is when a customer does not open the sealed package that came from the mint. In this instance, the package must remain completely sealed and unopened. The customer then can send that whole package in to PCGS and the receiving department will go by the postmarked date from the mint. As long as this date is prior to the cutoff date for that particular coin, it qualifies for first strike.
    _________

I was told by someone it had to arrive by the cutoff date, but apparently not so.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>First mint product I've ever bought. Sent 2 of 3 back. How does QC miss this stuff? >>

Peace: Hope you sent them back a while ago. Chances are, they may be no longer available due to the sellout.

You would be better off flipping them -- you can easily make a few bucks with the buyers out there offering premiums.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do. I have no idea how to post pics here. If you send/pm me your personal email I'll send it to you. >>

post the url to the picture and I'll show you how to put it in.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Akbeez

Very clear. The lastest date to submit would be the post mark date before the 30 day window expired on open boxes.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Yosemite makes the news again.

Link
  • Options
    Maybe I'll get a DMPL image
  • Options
    I just started looking at the 1 of the 3 I kept. Does everyone's "R" in TRUST look like this?

imageimage
  • Options
    In my opinion, which you are welcome to accept, or reject, I find it a shame that with a three inch diameter "canvas", all the Mint can manage to do is simply enlarge the same Reverses that are on the regular ATB quarters.. alright, so maybe there's a bit more detail, but put an ATB quarter next to its three-inch Silver version, and maybe you'll grok what I mean..

I think it shows an intense lack of imagination, creativity, and artistic vision.. apparently, someone needs to get some DNA from Augustus Saint Gaudens, and clone him, so they can have a REAL artist / sculptor who could create true works of art, with a lot more detail and artistry, then simply taking the regular quarters and blowin' up the designs.. or, maybe I'm totally wrong, and The Mint is producing what people want.. simply a giant "quarter" with a bit more visible detail..

I look at a lot of World coins from European and Canadian and Australian Mints, and even own a bunch, and there are some true works of Numismatic art out there.. even their packaging is leagues classier than the cheap plastic and cardboard our Mint chose to put these $300.00 coins into.. I'm not sayin' they have to go all "UHR" or First Spouse (lavish, polished wood boxes, with satin and velvet).. on us, but really.. a $300.00 coin deserves better.. not everyone is having their ATB "P"s slabbed.. when I have a friend over, and show them my UHR in its OGP, their jaw usually hits the floor.. yeah yeah, those enormous, lavish wood cases are hard to store.. that's a valid argument, I suppose.. and ya don't have to hit me with the "buy the coin, not the packaging" bumper sticker..

Sometimes The Mint DOES get it right.. a couple of examples that come to mind are the 1995 Civil War two and three coin Proof sets in the rare Civil War-style "Union Case" (and, I have spent YEARS trying to find out how many of those they made, with absolutely no success).. and the 50,000, 2009 Lincoln Coin and Krinkles set (talk about bringing the Mint's Web site to its knees, when they put that on sale two years ago.. good grief!).. is a beautifully-designed package, and that only cost $55.00, if I recall correctly.. which just goes to show that if they want to, they CAN get classy, if they they choose to make the effort.. with the three inch "P"s, they didn't even try to make an effort.. again, in MY opinion.. your mileage may vary.. park and lock it.. not responsible..

• Options
    sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 819 ✭✭✭
    laser - you forgot the 32-coin 95-96 Olympics set. That is a nice collection.
  • Options

<< <i>laser - you forgot the 32-coin 95-96 Olympics set. That is a nice collection. >>

I never owned one of those.. I don't think I ever even saw one.. but I had two of the six-coin 1983 - 1984 El Lay Olympics sets, in their mongo fancy wood cases.. the operative word being "had".. I sold'em both long ago (pre-eBay).. to a local coin shop, for the usual reason.. I needed the money.. at least I got more for them than my late Dad and I paid for them..

I still have my 1995 Civil War Battlefields Proof Set in the "Union Case".. I "stole" it from a local dealer, maybe ten years ago, for $43.00.. she didn't have a clue what they were fetching on eBay.. and I'm not letting go of my 2009 Lincoln Coin and Chronicles set.. for what I had to go through on the Mint's Web site to get one of those.. the operative word is "yikes!".. it looks like those are fetching about triple issue price and more these days..

It was cool to have a little coin shop literally a block from home.. I was in there all the time, schmoozing the display cases and bid boards lining the walls.. sold some stuff there, and bought some stuff there.. but alas, it's been a nail salon or Asian food joint or something like that, for at least half a dozen years.. after the (literally) Mom and Pop coin shop was held up at gunpoint, they decided it wasn't worth risking their lives, and shut it down.. the "Mom" passed away a couple of years ago, and the "Pop" only sells at Long Beach shows.. to get into the store, one had to get "buzzed" in, by pressing a button next to the glass doors.. one day, as the "Pop" told me at a show, a cute, blonde woman pressed the button to come in.. they buzzed her in.. she held the door open, and two guys in ski masks with automatics came racing in.. luckily, no shots were fired, and I'm sure their insurance covered the losses, but they decided that's it.. it ain't worth the risk any more.. so, no more coin shop a block from home.. I miss it..
  • Options
    Well finally received my 4th YS puck today .. had a very bad scratch on the rim below the date... so had my friend send it back and for the credit get the next one
  • Options
    Does anyone know the Pop report for the 5 ozs. over at NGC both HS and YS so far ..?
  • Options

<< <i>Well finally received my 4th YS puck today .. had a very bad scratch on the rim below the date... so had my friend send it back and for the credit get the next one >>

looks like they have been selling raw on Ebay for $345-350

Strange you would send back a sold out low mintage coin for a refund

Just my thoughts.......
  • Options
    I pretty much don't sell anything on Ebay.... I may buy something once in a while but i am not a seller .plus with as bad as the gouge was i can already the see the buyer leaving a negative .. not worth 45 bucks

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is that the HS or Yellowstone coin?

In the 3rd pix, that isn't what I think it is, is it? >>

The dreaded MILK SPOT!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

Did they offer replacements or credit?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

Peace: Hope you sent them back a while ago. Chances are, they may be no longer available due to the sellout.

You would be better off flipping them -- you can easily make a few bucks with the buyers out there offering premiums. >>

Assuming those buyers would accept an opened package raw coin.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I pretty much don't sell anything on Ebay.... I may buy something once in a while but i am not a seller .plus with as bad as the gouge was i can already the see the buyer leaving a negative .. not worth 45 bucks >>

Actually, you would need $350 just to break even on ebay. You have ebay fees, paypal fees and shipping cost.

Plus the gouge, I wouldn't sell that either...

• Options

<< <i>

The dreaded MILK SPOT!! >>

That is what I was thinking. Direct from the Mint, no less.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The dreaded MILK SPOT!! >>

That is what I was thinking. Direct from the Mint, no less. >>

Not unusual. There are milk spots which are whitish and others which are pale green or brownish. Might be two different issues. Another reason why I have an aversion to mint products.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Well finally received my 4th YS puck today .. had a very bad scratch on the rim below the date... so had my friend send it back and for the credit get the next one >>

looks like they have been selling raw on Ebay for $345-350

Strange you would send back a sold out low mintage coin for a refund

Just my thoughts....... >>

I sold one "unopened" apparently had been retaped at the packaging facility. Recipient said it had the longest scratch he'd ever seen. Must have been a production run of that variety!!image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Not unusual. There are milk spots which are whitish and others which are pale grren or brownish. Might be two different issues. Another reason why I have an aversion to mint products. >>

I would say I have never had one silver coin from the mint with a white spot (but I won't - bad karma!!!). I do have a proof set with one coin that has someone's finger print on it. Now, if I could only sneak it into a crime scene somehow. image

I recently received a Maple Leaf in an "air-tite" that has a lot of milk spots on it, a couple rather large ones.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file