Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• sfs2002usasfs2002usa Posts: 831 ✭✭✭
    My order did come in and I am keeping it! It does have some edge rim tics and a small hemispherical depression centered right in the middle of the "Q" in quarter.
    NICE COIN all around and it will remain in OGP. Very Pleased!
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These still aren't sold out at the mint! Mmm, this one may not be as easy to flip for much of a profit. I flipped an unopened P Hot Springs for $356.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some NP2s are selling for $360-$380 unopened.

Took 2 weeks for the HS to sell out.
    NP2.....after 1 week only 2,000 or so were left.
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some NP2s are selling for $360-$380 unopened.

Took 2 weeks for the HS to sell out.
    NP2.....after 1 week only 2,000 or so were left. >>

My original thought was the plunge in spot silver resulted in a lot of HS returns, that were then resold. However, the word from the Mint is they melt all returns??? If that's true, final sales numbers on the HS could be much lower than 27K...
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there anyone that thinks the mint will ever sell fewer than 27,000 P-Pucks after 2010-11? I assume their logic was ensure a 2010-11 sell out with lower mintage (since they're releasing 8 this year), then up it to ~100,000 for 2011 and after. If they leave these on sale for 3 months each, they'd have no problem selling 100K. Thoughts?
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    What are the population numbers for the bullion versions been running?
    Lots of coins that would grade MS/PF69 are returned because they aren't a MS/PF70. I would think they check returns and if the coin was really bad.......well off to the furnace. If the Mint has a QC Dept. and they get involved they would probably resell the good ones. Don't know if the Mint does that but thats what I would do.
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    Not comparing these in anyway to the Spouse Gold, But when the Spouse Washington, Jefferson Liberties came out they sold out at 20K because no one knew how popular these would be. I see the same logic applied to the first year P mint versions.
    No one knows how popular the P Pucks will be so this could be the reason for the sellouts. 27K is a lot of coins. Its the 2011s that will determine the popularity, not the 2010s. Right now the 2010 raws are not selling quickly in the aftermarket, so the demand may not be there. Could also be the economy playing a factor.

This is a new series and it is still young, not like the 20th Anniversary ASE Silver Sets , with an established collector base, which were going for as much as 9X their original price from the mint with 250K minted. The popularity of this ATB series may be established years from now.

• >> If they leave these on sale for 3 months each, they'd have no problem selling 100K. Thoughts? <<

I think selling less than 27k P pucks in 2012 and the following years is possible because the the premiums
    on the 5 oz bullion coins are less than the P version. Plus a lot of people prefer the finish on the bullion
    coins.

AP's bought and sold the the full allotment of about 126k coins for the first two 2011 bullion coins.
    You can now buy the sealed monster boxes from the seconday dealers -100 5 oz coins. The AP's bought
    about 60k Olympic coins on the first day they were offered.

It will be interesting to see how many 2011 P pucks the mint makes. But I think watching the sales
    of the bullion coins will be the best indicator for the mintage of the 2012 P pucks.
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

<< <i>>> If they leave these on sale for 3 months each, they'd have no problem selling 100K. Thoughts? << >>

Yes, and if they remove the restriction of one per household.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no problem selling 100k?

100K => a little under the UHR sales figure.

I'm not sure about 100k. I wonder if they could sell 50k if they left them on sale one year. So many were predicting a same day or next day sell out for Hot Springs, but it took over 2 weeks. 100k is a lot. 500k ounces!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    If silver keeps creeping up and if they removed the limits, IMO, the sales would really start to take off even if they raised the mintage limit
  • I don't believe the mint would want to leave the ATB P coins on sale for one year.
    They have to sell the ASE proof coins 6/30 and the uncirculated coins plus the commemorative coins
    I think they will keep the ATB P coins at a low mintage to justify the high premium.

The price of silver is a big factor. It went from 4 bucks an oz to almost 50 in ten years.
    P's bought and sold the the full allotment of about 126k coins for the first two 2011 bullion coins.
    You can now buy the sealed monster boxes from the seconday dealers -100 5 oz coins. The AP's bought
    about 60k Olympic coins on the first day they were offered.

That is why I think the P Mint Version is a better play long term. I am sure there will be numerous unopened monster boxes that would be First Strike Eligible always waiting to decimate the top pops of the DPMLs. Though these look like these will be common in 69 DPML.
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>Not comparing these in anyway to the Spouse Gold, But when the Spouse Washington, Jefferson Liberties came out they sold out at 20K because no one knew how popular these would be. I see the same logic applied to the first year P mint versions.
    No one knows how popular the P Pucks will be so this could be the reason for the sellouts. 27K is a lot of coins. Its the 2011s that will determine the popularity, not the 2010s. Right now the 2010 raws are not selling quickly in the aftermarket, so the demand may not be there. Could also be the economy playing a factor.

This is a new series and it is still young, not like the 20th Anniversary ASE Silver Sets , with an established collector base, which were going for as much as 9X their original price from the mint with 250K minted. The popularity of this ATB series may be established years from now. >>

I dug back into my "US MINT" email folder, to see how much I paid for the Jefferson's Liberty Unc. First Spouse Gold a few years ago..

Order Process Date: 8/30/07

Merchandise : 410.95
    Freight . . . : 4.95
    Total . . : 415.90

1. 2007 FIRST SPOUSE GLD UNC (TJ) (X06)
    Qty 1 @ $410.95 - Backordered 09/24/07.

The first three all had Mintages of 20,000 each, as you noted, and they all sold out..

I'd have to go to kitco.com, and look back four years, to find out what the spot price of Gold was, in August, 2007..

As Gold started to rise, the Mint instituted its "evaluate and adjust prices for Gold and Platinum coins weekly, either up or down, as needed, and depending on how much we hate you, based on spot prices on the London market for Gold and Platinum" chart, or grid, which is on their site..

As the prices of Gold started climbing, so did the prices of the First Spouse coins.. fewer and fewer people bought them.. the ones currently being sold by the Mint are over $900.00!.. way more than double the price of the first three..

So as Gold rose, and approached, then hit, and then went over $1500.00, fewer people could afford them, the number of each sold went down dramatically, such that some of the last couple of years' issues have Mintages well under 5000 coins.. especially the Uncs., which always sell in smaller numbers than its "Sister" Proof.. some of them, if I recall correctly, saw fewer than 3000 coins sold.. creating some instant key dates that now sell for moon money on eBay and from dealers..

Then, in 2008, the economy went into the toilet.. a lot of people lost their jobs, their homes, their savings, their retirement accounts, and buying raw, modern Gold coins that cost over $900.00 each was simply unthinkable. As half-ounce, 24kt, .999 fine Gold coins, assuming Gold back up over $1500.00 (it's at $1535.30 as I type this).. there's roughly $770.00 worth of Gold in each coin, so the Mint is making a rather tidy profit on each one, at over $900.00 each.. but they're selling FAR fewer of each one..

A lot of collectors also think the designs are atrocious, but, if they can afford them, buy them anyway, because of the insanely low Mintages.. and then there's that subset of four Spouseless Spouse coins with reproductions of "Liberty, from classic coins of whatever years that President was in office", and some people only want that subset of four coins..

So then come along the ATB monsters, with relatively low Mintage numbers.. at least for the 2010s.. and, at $279.95 each, they're less than a third of the price of current Spouse Golds (from the Mint).. even though they're five ounces of .999 Silver, and not half an ouce of .999 Gold.. probably apples and oranges again.. but still, despite being made of a MUCH cheaper metal, they're enormous, and the first of their kind.. before 2010, the only three inch diameter anythings the Mint ever made were Bronze Medals..

If one has deep pockets, one can buy whatever one wants.. but for the average schmoo, even $279.95 is quite a chunk'o'change, nevermind over $900.00 for a Gold coin barely the size of a fifty cent piece..

My train of thought just derailed.. but maybe I made some kind of point there.. image
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • Certainly there could be issues with the P puck mintage going forward. I think the bullion version 2010 mintages are safe but the huge premium could detract in the future as we see higher prices.
    dug back into my "US MINT" email folder, to see how much I paid for the Jefferson's Liberty Unc. First Spouse Gold a few years ago..

just to think this Silver P Puck is only selling at $120 less that a 1/2 ounce of gold in 2007. How things have changed. There are very steep premiums on these even when compared to the gold spouse premiums. Super ridiculous premiums of over 60%. These premiums, if they stay at these levels will hinder the future sales of these. Maybe the mint needs to pay for those new presses to make these Pucks.

Also the Gold Spouses were offered first under a subscription program and when these sold out in a month, they cancelled the subscription program. Strange they are not offering these P Pucks under a subscription program. Though these will be minted by demand I think not like the Gold Spouses with maximum set mintages.
    Alright.. I bothered to check on kitco.com - on 20 August, 2007, Gold closed at $658.00 on the London Exchange.. the day I ordered the Jefferson's Liberty Non-Spouse Spouse from the Mint for $410.95..

Since then, Gold has doubled plus $200.00 an ounce, and the current First Spouse Golds are selling at the Mint for over $900.00..

Make of this what you will..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Maybe the mint needs to pay for those new presses to make these Pucks. >>

Maybe that and they never price collector items $x over spot like they do bullion items. I don't see why people keep expecting that they should. I'm sure the 2010 Boy Scout silver dollar was priced quite a bit higher than the silver eagles. That being said, I wonder what silver would have to go up to before they would raise the price on these.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>Maybe the mint needs to pay for those new presses to make these Pucks. >>

That wouldn't surprise me at all.. those German presses must cost a small fortune.. last year's CW article about them, which I posted earlier, didn't say how much those presses cost, nor how many The Mint bought.. to ship a few of those (if they bought a few of those) from the German mfr. would cost a wad of cash also.. and I have no idea if they shipped them already set-up, or if they shipped them KD (knocked down), and had to bring over technicians from Germany to assemble and calibrate and test them.. probably a lot of spare parts came with them.. it'd be cool to be a fly on the wall and be privvy to all of this stuff, see the sales contracts and such..

"I dug back into my "US MINT" email folder, to see how much I paid for the Jefferson's Liberty Unc. First Spouse Gold a few years ago..

Qty 1 @ $410.95 - Backordered 09/24/07. "

Funny, I was digging back in my records last night (trying to get them better organized) and cam across the receipt where I bought a 2008-W Buffalo $10 MS-70 PCGS First Strike for $450 shipped. I sure wish I would have bought more of them at that time!
    Back in 2006, when the Buffalo Gold first came out, I drove over to Panda America, which is a five minute drive from where I'm sitting, and bought the one ounce Bullion which came in some kind of bizarre, US Mint waffled, vacuum-sealed 2" square, (they got them from the Mint in SHEETS of those squares, which were perforated, so they could just tear off however many someone wanted).. and a 1/2 ounce AGE in a flip.. the total came to $1000.00, which meant I'd have to pay over $85.00 sales tax.. the guy behind the counter said "How about if I charge you $1.00 extra, which will make it a $1001.00 purchase, and you won't have to pay sales tax?".. It took me about .000001 seconds to say "yup!"..
    Unfortunately, as hard times befell me a couple'a three years ago, I was forced to sell them both, but Gold had jumped up from where it was in 2006, so I made a decent chunk of profit.. had I kept them, and sold them now.. well.. I don't even want to think about what they'd be worth..

And.. I don't even want to think about the four 2000-W Library of Congress Bi-Metallic Uncs I got from a guy for whom I was working, who used to have millions, but his business went into the toilet, so he paid me in coins I could re-sell.. he got them at the "pre-issue" price of $390.00 each from the Mint eleven years ago.. I had them all slabbed by NGC, got two MS69s, and two MS70s, and again, sold all four of them on eBay about three years later.. Mintage:: 6683.. the best I did was $1900.00 each for the MS70s.. RAW ones now go for four grand.. I think I'm gonna be sick.. but whaddya gonna do when you've got bills and rent to pay?.. You can't pay them with rare coins unless you turn those coins into cash..

• clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Any 70's on these yet? I got my latest one today and the coin is amazing, IMO if there a bunch like this we may see a 70 if not already.
    Maybe that and they never price collector items $x over spot like they do bullion items. I don't see why people keep expecting that they should. I'm sure the 2010 Boy Scout silver dollar was priced quite a bit higher than the silver eagles. That being said, I wonder what silver would have to go up to before they would raise the price on these.

I believe someone posted that when the mint priced these, Silver was at $40 an ounce. So anything higher than $40 is when they will increase the price.
    ny 70's on these yet? I got my latest one today and the coin is amazing, IMO if there a bunch like this we may see a 70 if not already.

Yes, plenty of 70s in NGC and PCGS for the P versions, not the bullion where the highest is 69DMPL
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Maybe the mint needs to pay for those new presses to make these Pucks. >>

That wouldn't surprise me at all.. those German presses must cost a small fortune.. last year's CW article about them, which I posted earlier, didn't say how much those presses cost, nor how many The Mint bought.. to ship a few of those (if they bought a few of those) from the German mfr. would cost a wad of cash also.. and I have no idea if they shipped them already set-up, or if they shipped them KD (knocked down), and had to bring over technicians from Germany to assemble and calibrate and test them.. probably a lot of spare parts came with them.. it'd be cool to be a fly on the wall and be privvy to all of this stuff, see the sales contracts and such.. >>

If I remember correctly, the Mint purchased one Schuler Press for around $3 million or was it $2 million.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Ah, what's an extra million to these people. They made it on these things already.
  • coinman420coinman420 Posts: 4,666

<< <i>"I dug back into my "US MINT" email folder, to see how much I paid for the Jefferson's Liberty Unc. First Spouse Gold a few years ago..

Qty 1 @ $410.95 - Backordered 09/24/07. "

Funny, I was digging back in my records last night (trying to get them better organized) and cam across the receipt where I bought a 2008-W Buffalo $10 MS-70 PCGS First Strike for $450 shipped. I sure wish I would have bought more of them at that time! >>

you may have bought that from me. at that point in time the mint had not announced they were stopping the fractionals. i thought they would continue every year and did not realize they were something very special. i sold all i had and some went at $450.
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
    I freaked out when I read he had bought a 2008 PCGS MS70 Buffalo for $450.00.. then I re-read it, and realized it was a 1/10 ounce (tiny) coin.. not a 1 ouncer.. then I remembered that 2008 is the key date for the Gold Buffalos, because they stopped making the 1/10, 1/4 and 1/2 ounce after that.. or was 2008 the only year they made them?..

Sometimes The US Mint drives me crazy.. sometimes!?..

<< <i>I freaked out when I read he had bought a 2008 PCGS MS70 Buffalo for $450.00.. then I re-read it, and realized it was a 1/10 ounce (tiny) coin.. not a 1 ouncer.. then I remembered that 2008 is the key date for the Gold Buffalos, because they stopped making the 1/10, 1/4 and 1/2 ounce after that.. or was 2008 the only year they made them?..

Sometimes The US Mint drives me crazy.. sometimes!?..
    image >>

It is the quarter oz coin. $5 = 1/10 oz. 'Tiny", $10 = quarter oz. (nickel size), $25 = half oz., $50 = 1 oz

I was actually buying the 1 oz bullion version for under $600 with the Microsoft Rebate at the time. In fact, I may have bought that coin with the 30 - 35% off at the time bring the actual cost around 3 bills.
  • Got my Yellowstone back today from PCGS ....

Also got this from UPS today when i got home from the Auction

• RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Congrats on the Yellowstone!

I remember you posting the Saint earlier in a different thread. How does it look in-hand?
  • I love it ... by far my most expensive coin,,, but it will be a good investment for the grandkids when they arrive and hopefully they save it for their kids .. along with the rest of the collection ,,,

although the holder is really scratched up .. i will have it re-holdered
  • RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>I love it ... by far my most expensive coin,,, but it will be a good investment for the grandkids when they arrive... >>

That's what counts. It's been very recently that any PCGS MS65 Saint brought $2500 minimum and I'm sure the day will come when any PCGS MS65 Saint is considered cheap at $2500. image
  • alhasalhas Posts: 85 ✭✭

<< <i>Any 70's on these yet? I got my latest one today and the coin is amazing, IMO if there a bunch like this we may see a 70 if not already. >>

After receiving these P-Pucks, I won't bend over to pick-up a circulated quarter on the street any more...
  • Found another 70 on Ebay

SP70 YS Ebay

<< <i>

It is the quarter oz coin. $5 = 1/10 oz. 'Tiny", $10 = quarter oz. (nickel size), $25 = half oz., $50 = 1 oz >>

I sit corrected.. I was thinking of the Platinum APEs, where $50.00 = 1/2 ounce, and $100.00 = 1 ounce.. image

Thanks..

<< <i>Got my Yellowstone back today from PCGS ....

image >>

Express service?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • yup
    My PCGS MS65 1927 Saint is my most treasured coin for a number of reasons..

- It cost me nothing. ZERO. I won it in a contest in 2003.. at the time, it was worth about a grand..

- When I won it, it was an NGC MS65.. a well-known dealer who I will not name, but most people here would know his name instantly, looked at it, and said "it'll never cross at PCGS MS65.. never.. it crossed..

- Some of you millionaires may laugh, but it's one of my two most valuable coins (at least that I know of.. there could be more valuable coins lurking in my bajillion Prooof and Mint Sets, but I'm not gonna spend every cent I have slabbing them to find out).. so, as far as what I know is worth about what goes, (Lordy, that was lousy English).. my Saint and my UHR are doing battle as my most valuable coin.. I would prefer to never have to sell either of them..

Don't laugh, but my second (or third) most treasured coin is a PCGS MS65 1881-S Morgan $.. this is because of sentimental reasons.. it was the first coin I ever had slabbed.. it was given to me by an old High School best friend, who just recently passed away.. his Dad was a part-time coin dealer, and the coin was in a flip, with "MS65" written on it.. the local dealer who submitted it for me, who has also since passed away.. had that "I've been a coin dealer for a bajillion years and this will NEVER make MS65.. NEVER!", and it came back MS65, and she had enough egg on her face to make breakfast for twelve.. because of where it came from, and the recent passing of my friend of over fifty years, and the fact that it was the first coin I ever had slabbed, and this long-time dealer couldn't grade as well as his Dad could.. it holds so much sentimental value for me, that it's another one I'll never sell.. along with some raw, circulated, common date Morgans and Peace $s that my late Grandfather gave to me, when I was a child, which are probably worth a bit more than melt, but, again, sentimental value..

• With that said i totally agree with you ...

The most valuable is divided into 2 ... Monetary and Sentimental.

While the SG is the monetary side of my collection the sentimental side is just a plain old 1928 Argentine 5 peso coin .... It was taped to card that said happy birthday on my moms 1st B-day.... even though it has no monetary value i could never replace it ...like the saying goes " PRICELESS "

<< <i>

<< <i>I love it ... by far my most expensive coin,,, but it will be a good investment for the grandkids when they arrive... >>

That's what counts. It's been very recently that any PCGS MS65 Saint brought $2500 minimum and I'm sure the day will come when any PCGS MS65 Saint is considered cheap at $2500. image >>

I have a newsletter / price list from a semi-local dealer who no longer exists, dated 1988.. in that newsletter, his price for a 1927 MS65 Saint was $4500.00..
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Good job outta you Phaeton, congrats on the SP70 Yellystone. image

<< <i>yup >>

Unless you were planning to flip it for a quick profit, what was the point of paying so much extra to have it slabbed?
    theknowitalltroll;

• << <i>

<< <i>yup >>

Unless you were planning to flip it for a quick profit, what was the point of paying so much extra to have it slabbed? >>

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a sacrifice to the god of impatience.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those who are grading the HS P Pucks, are you going for the FS or the Roosevelt label? It seems like the Roosevelt label coins bringing more though I'm not clear why.

On that note, how do you request this label?

Is there a special label for the Yellowstone other than FS?

Thanks
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

A few pages back Tommy reported that the Roosie labls are only available for bulk submissions or dealers. Shouldn't CC members also deserve a label?

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
    You see, a few years back, the big coins guys tried to shut us little guys out of "First Strike" labels. PCGS stopped allowing the FS label to members. I believe there was an unroar and a lot of members cancelled their membership because of this. After all, it was just a way for dealers to make more money because the FS coins brought more money and the greedy big guys wanted it all for themselves. PCGS went along with it but like I said, with the unroar, they changed their mind and opened the FS to everyone, including CC members.

Well, it appears PCGS is bending over for the big guys again by offering special labels not available to their all members giving them a product they the big guys seem to be able to get more money for. It is just another game they are playing with their CC member and make money at the same time. It would be nice to see have the label costs compare to the FS label.
    Yup, that was back in 2008 at the release date of the fractional Buffs.........lasted about a month.......image

Thats why the FS pops are so low...........image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file