Home U.S. Coin Forum

Updated 7/28/11 - MH & GC ON SALE NOW -- 27,000 Numismatic ATB 2010 5oz Pucks -- **Official Pre-

Comments

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<You have to get a little agressive when pulling it out using the finger hole, which is usually at the upper right corner.>>

<<dig in and pry.>>

I'm sorry, but I think this maneuver is still illegal in some Southern states!!!
  • YS-P came just now and I'm thinking about returning it for a replacement.

Thoughts?
  • RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>Warning, if you ordered "2011 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver- Set of 2" from A-Mark then go here and scroll down to 1:15 pm to read my post on NGC coins >>

What day was the post?

• << <i>

<< <i>Warning, if you ordered "2011 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver- Set of 2" from A-Mark then go here and scroll down to 1:15 pm to read my post on NGC coins >>

What day was the post? >>

Yeah that link didn't work.....I found it was posted today at 1:15 EST.
  • edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

page 271 of the bullion version thread, this was before i received their email (on April 29)

This thread: APMEX is selling the 5oz rounds right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBAY $1025 - 3/27/11

Wednesday April 27, 2011 4:44 PM

Subscribe to this thread Email this thread to someone User is online Send user a private message View thread in raw text format

The first 2 2011 bullion 5 ozers are showing up for sale, the price is steep, just got mine from A-Mark

2011 America the Beautiful 5 oz Silver- Set of 2
    The set consists of coins representing the following National Parks: Gettysburg National Military Park (PA), Glacier National Park (MT)

$629.99 Each set is encapsulated in holders by PCGS and is certified "First Strike Choice BU".

edited to credit Miles' posted first from ATS

(l8-)>>

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    06/09/2011 – Yosemite
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>YS-P came just now and I'm thinking about returning it for a replacement.

Thoughts? >>

Ouch, well I guess it depends if you think there is enough left to get a replacement.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>everything i have gotten has GW on the front with the hole at about 2 o'clock >>

Both parks I received had George face up, thumb hole @ 10:30

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been addressed and I missed it....

Can those of you who've received HS SP70s, does that metal flow anamoly in the SPRI preculde a 70 grade? Thanks
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭
    I've seen two with YS face up and one with George face up. Personally I liked the YS design face up.

As for Replacement, I sent my HS back, the wait list started a couple days
    after I sent it, and before they acknowledged my return.

My status has been In stock and Reserved for about a week with the cancel box gone. Don't know if I'm in for a new one or they're just waiting to send back the coin I returned....

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thoughts? >>

Ouch, well I guess it depends if you think there is enough left to get a replacement. >>

If you call will they hold one for replacement?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • JuanJuan Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I bought both the Hot Springs and Yellowstone from the US Mint and rec'd both. The I found that APMEX had the Olympic Nat'l Park (unc) for $230.57 so I bought one of those from them. It may not have the Mint packaging but it has the silver and I'll like it regardless. It was more reasonable than the Mint (279.95) at that price.
    oklahomakid
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So, if you leave the box sealed and send it to PCGS for First Strike designation after the 30 days, will they return all the Mint packaging? I know they use to if you wrote on the submission sheet to return it but it seems like there was a charge. Do they still return all the packaging and do they charge?

<< <i>I bought both the Hot Springs and Yellowstone from the US Mint and rec'd both. The I found that APMEX had the Olympic Nat'l Park (unc) for $230.57 so I bought one of those from them. It may not have the Mint packaging but it has the silver and I'll like it regardless. It was more reasonable than the Mint (279.95) at that price. >>

Comparing the 2010 Mint P's to the 2011 bullion version is like comparing apples to oranges.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

• << <i>YS-P came just now and I'm thinking about returning it for a replacement.

Thoughts? >>

Just got off the phone with the mint. I asked, "if I return my coin will I be getting a new coin or someones reject."

She said they do not resell returns. They actually melt them down.

<< <i>

Thoughts? >>

Just got off the phone with the mint. I asked, "if I return my coin will I be getting a new coin or someones reject."

She said they do not resell returns. They actually melt them down. >>

HA!!!!!
  • Well actually recieved YS 1 , 2 and 3 now .... pretty damn quick i would say ... did not see any doubling or any other defects on any of them
  • pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭
    o, if you leave the box sealed and send it to PCGS for First Strike designation after the 30 days, will they return all the Mint packaging? I know they use to if you wrote on the submission sheet to return it but it seems like there was a charge. Do they still return all the packaging and do they charge?

They return all the packaging. It is included in the $18 First Strike Fee. I always make sure also and write it on the submission form to return all mint packaging and capsules.

First Strike
    Thanks.

• << <i>YS-P came just now and I'm thinking about returning it for a replacement.

Thoughts? >>

I should have phrased that better.........what I really want to know is does anyone think that these scratches warrant a return? If it was your coin, what would you do?

Thanks
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    ^^^I vote return.

<< <i>I should have phrased that better.........what I really want to know is does anyone think that these scratches warrant a return? If it was your coin, what would you do? >>

I'd only return it if a replacment was guaranteed. While those scratches are worse than most, many of these pieces have flaws.

• << <i>

Thoughts? >>

I should have phrased that better.........what I really want to know is does anyone think that these scratches warrant a return? If it was your coin, what would you do?

Thanks >>

why would u return it ???? i will happily give u what u paid
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS
    gdavis70,Musky1011,cohodk,cucamongacoin,robkool,chumley, drei3ree, Rampage,jmski52, commoncents05, dimples, dcarr, Grouchy, holeinone1972, JonMN34, mission16,meltdown,Omega,PQpeace, SeaEagleCoins, WaterSport, whatsup,Wizard1,WinLoseWin,MMR,49thStateofMind,SamByrd,Ahrensdad,BAJJERFAN,timrutnat,TWQG,CarlWohlforth,Ciccio,PreTurb,NumisMe,Patches,NotSure,luvcoins123,piecesofme,perryhall,nibanny,atarian,airplanenut
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure you'd get a replacement if you returned it.

if you could get someone else to order one for you, then you could return that one for a refund.

but if a 70 set is not the goal, those scratches wouldn't bother me.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    $547.77 for an NGC SP70. This is the lowest price seen thus far for a certified SP70. Just closed at 8:00p.m. Eastern Time.

eBay SP70 NP1
  • Yoesmite due out June 9th

this will get expensive with one out very 2-3 weeks
    mine included artistic decoration:

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    MsM,
    Are you sure that is not a fur sample from the rare white bison?
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

These are sure ugly when compared to the bullion coins!
    Can those of you who've received HS SP70s, does that metal flow anamoly in the SPRI preculde a 70 grade? Thanks

Yes, My SP 70 Hot Springs that I bought has this anamoly. It also has a few of the pinpoint vapor blast holes. I think I will have to try to make my own 70s.

I also have the doubling effect on all the letters on the reverse of one of my Yellowstones. Extreme doubling. I will take a photo and post. Has this been decided whether this is machine doubling?
  • I like the P's vs the bullion. It seems to bring out the detail better. Just sayin.
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the P's vs the bullion. It seems to bring out the detail better. Just sayin. >>

References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • I agree with you!!!!!
  • AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For those of you keeping score.. my HS "P" came George side up, with the finger lift hole thingie ... image >>

Nice satire HR, like who the f cares? Can always count on you for a sanity check.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

<< <i>I like the P's vs the bullion. It seems to bring out the detail better. Just sayin. >>

• PapiPapi Posts: 1,189 ✭✭

Mine has a tiny rinse spot near the rim. Does that eliminate me from 70?
    My NP1 from Modern Coin Mart arrived today. Here's my observations on it and the two NP1s I bought raw from the mint.

1) The NGC slab is very nice and is HUGE! I had only handled PCGS slabs before today and the difference is dramatic.

2) This SP70 is far better than the 2 raw pieces I received. My guess is my 2 raw ones would grade SP68 and SP69 at best.

3) The NGC slab allows you to read all the edge lettering which is good.

4) Modern Coin Mart did a fine job packaging these and shipping was very prompt. I paid $600 total and feel that is fair for this piece.

5) These "P" pucks have a unique finish that looks super in SP70.

After buying and flipping 5 sets of the bullion pucks for about $3K in profit, the $600 for this one is worth it. I've already sold one of my NP1s raw and will sell the other one raw also.

Puckaholics Anonymous sign up is in my future! image

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Red -- does your NGC HS have the weirdness in the "springs" obverse / aka so-called error? Many wonder if that will disqualify a 70 rating.
    Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
    Here is my Yellowstone with the doubling throughout all the letters on the reverse. I would have sold this one as unopened. Glad I didn't.

<< <i>Red -- does your NGC HS have the weirdness in the "springs" obverse / aka so-called error? >>

Yes it does but not as pronounced an effect as seen on others. Here's an image of "SPRINGS" on my NGC SP70.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Hot Springs order has a status of "Your order request is on hold" and "In stock and reserved".

Is there anyone else here that has this status still on thier HS?
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least one for me.
    theknowitalltroll;

<< <i>^^^I vote return. >>

I vote no, I have seen quite a few with that similar thing on the rims.

• paladinpaladin Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>My NP1 from Modern Coin Mart arrived today. Here's my observations on it and the two NP1s I bought raw from the mint.

1) ..... 2) .... 3) ......... 4) ........
    5) These "P" pucks have a unique finish that looks super in SP70.

After buying and flipping 5 sets of the bullion pucks for about $3K in profit, the $600 for this one is worth it. .........
    >>

Thank you Red for bringing this up. At first I thought it was my imagination. I've seen a number of the P's now
    and the finish seems to vary somewhat. I returned my Ystone yesterday and now I wish I hadn't. Sure, it had a
    few very minor flaws, but the finish was extraordinarily beautiful - almost iridescent. It was like looking at a
    candy apple paint job. It's easy to miss if you look at them one at a time. But if you group them & you have one
    of these, it'll pop. Eventually, I expect varieties to develop from this series based on the subtle differences in
    the finish. They are not all the same. I'm wondering if it is the result of lightly blasting a DMPL?
    Has anyone else noticed this?

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
    My Hot Springs order has a status of "Your order request is on hold" and "In stock and reserved".

Is there anyone else here that has this status still on thier HS?

I would call. Could be a problem with your credit card.

• << <i>mine included artistic decoration:

image >>

Lighting strike on the horns happens all the time

<< <i>My Hot Springs order has a status of "Your order request is on hold" and "In stock and reserved".

Is there anyone else here that has this status still on thier HS? >>

call them during business hours.

the hold time is unusual.
  • I've got yesterday Hot Springs SP70 I bought from MCM on Bay last Sunday.

It does look much sharper than the 2 SP69 I've submitted on my own received from the Mint.

However even SP70 has this "chaining" metal flow in "Springs".

Go figure how it affects the grade ....
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    No comprendo how anything less than an utterly flawless coin can be given a 70, by either company..

Others have commented on that "chaining" effect between S P R I N G S and other mottos, and way back there somewhere, I think someone quoted an article written by.. uhh.. Ken Potter maybe?.. or some other widely-respected error expert, who said it had to do with metal compression, possibly caused when the huge coins are slammed by the multi-section edge-lettering dies.. or did I dream reading that?..

Is it an error, or a defect?.. I think that's open to debate.. I know some eBay scamm.. err.. sellers are calling that chaining an error.. I'm not an error expert on any professional level, although I own a number of coins with legitimate errors, such as Presidential $s with missing and weak edge lettering, and some wildly off-center struck cents and dimes, so whatever my opinion about that metal scrunching and rising between the letters isn't going to affect the market one way or another..

I also own the "discovery piece" of the 1999 Proof SBA with areas of tripling on the Reverse, both on the mottos and the eagle's talons.. it was sent to, examined by, and written about, and made the cover of NN in late 1999.. I bought it from its owner.. he, like I, ordered some 1999 Proof SBAs during the first hour the Mint put them on sale way back then, and I received two others that had the exact same tripling, which is easily visible withOUT a loupe.. I sold the two I got, raw, on eBay years ago, and got a few hundred each for them.. but I still own the discovery piece that Herbert examined, plus the issue of NN that featured that exact coin on the front page (see below).. there was a lot of debate about those coins.. many said it wasn't a legitimate error, since it was caused by "die bounce" after striking, but later, Herbert explained that it was actually BOTH die bounce AND double-struck DURING the minting process.. so it had both an error, and a non-error error.. image

But back to the "P"ucks.. from everything I've read, both on PCGS' and NGC's sites, and in the ANA Grading Guide, a 70 is usually defined as "fully struck" with absolutely no visible defects.. no weakly-struck areas, no scratches, no frost breaks (on Proofs).. no visible defects of any kind at some power of magnification.. is that pushed-up metal between the letters is a defect, or an error?.. my HS "P" has NO evidence of it anywhere, on either side.. and no weakly-struck letters in the mottos on either side..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any defect that is part of the die can be thought of as essentially being part of the design so if the coin doesn't have any post mintage defects then it should be considered a MS/PF/SP-70.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file