Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    At least I got the assist.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you're referring to my reference to buying more than one set, what's new with that??? Is there anyone on this forum whom will not arrange a friends and family network to hopefully get more than one set of the numismatic version if and when it is sold?? Just as was the case with number per household limited issues in the past, the answer is no. >>

Your answer is wrong! image
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>scores!
    3000 >>

Fail! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Ok: I will split it with you image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just got a very long and well written email from John at MCM explaining their predicament in trying to obtain coins to sell. They will sell only graded pucks and warned about sticker shock.

I don't think it will be much of a shock seeing what the raw beasts are going for right now....as he said this may change once the rest are released but no clue as to a price yet. >>

The way things are going I would not be surprised if the "sticker shock" ends up driving away many that would have otherwise been interested in the series and drive them away for good. Greedy flippers may just kill this series. >>

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CSN is selling NGC MS69 sets (scroll back a page or two) for $4000... Again, given the remarks about the condition of these coins, I think $4000 for MS69 is probably a great price... especially if you can flip them for $7k. >>

Oops, I missed the CSN post.

I just think that it is quite an assumption that one will be able to assemble 69 sets. Of course, given enough coins surly some will grade 69.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you're referring to my reference to buying more than one set, what's new with that??? Is there anyone on this forum whom will not arrange a friends and family network to hopefully get more than one set of the numismatic version if and when it is sold?? Just as was the case with number per household limited issues in the past, the answer is no. >>

Your answer is wrong! image >>

Yes, seconds after posting that statement I realized that I should have qualified my statement with a "most" as obviously not everyone on this thread will buy more than one - or even one. I definitely should have edited that statement.

I stand corrected :-)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>And a rough ebayer neg. >>

feedback no longer there! >>

Ebay will remove neg F.B. if left within 24 hrs of the close of an auction. I had no doubt that it would be. On the other hand, I'm glad I blocked the numskull who left it. >>

OPA, I also read the threads and wished to block that guy, but his name is no longer available on Ebay and I did not block when I could have. Can you ID him? If you do not wish to post it PM me. Thanks, and Happy NEW Year to all!!!!! Best of luck with your coins and finding a set of the ATBs.
  • Options
    The eBay user name for the bad feedback is coynz777.

FloridaBill
  • Options
    Ok..... I wasn't going to admit to this since it is my first ever "flip" but .....

I sold my set..... I loved the pucks but I couldn't turn down the potential for paying Xmas and other bills. I only had them less than a week so they hadn't really settled in their new home yet.

They sold as a BIN at $2897.

I will try to get another set to replace them........but I still am dealing with my guilt image

Gone but not forgotten
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold my set..... I loved the pucks but I couldn't turn down the potential for paying Xmas and other bills. I only had them less than a week so they hadn't really settled in their new home yet. >>

You're not alone. I couldn't resist, either, and sold two of mine as singles. After Paypal fees and Ebay's lump of flesh, my profit was just north of $900, which makes my remaining three free. I'm also counting on picking up another set from one of the other APs providing they really do begin selling them to the "real" public...
  • Options

<< <i>Ok..... I wasn't going to admit to this since it is my first ever "flip" but .....

I sold my set..... I loved the pucks but I couldn't turn down the potential for paying Xmas and other bills. I only had them less than a week so they hadn't really settled in their new home yet.

They sold as a BIN at $2897.

I will try to get another set to replace them........but I still am dealing with my guilt image

Gone but not forgotten >>

No guilt, it was a smart move, I do not think the prices will be that high on Ebay for a while after the sets start to trickle out. You can make a New Years' res. never to flip again! image

Thanks for the name FlaBill, blocked now
  • Options
    Now this is interesting

Proves the whole one per household is just a hurdle to be jumped. A some clear it with ease.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    what did you expect.

many arrange buyers to buy for them for a fee. not unlike many of the larger coin companies paying $50 or $100 to buy the "1 max" items fom the USM.

to minimize this from happening, the AP's should have IMMEDIATELY upon receipt made their inventories available.

the best way to distribute fairly on such a low mintage would have been DIRECT sales, the USM missed this opportunity, although I was told it was considered.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too bailed out and took a nice profit. I hope the gentleman I traded them too make money on them as well.
    Remember, folks......pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR all!!!!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    & I mailed my set to PCGS to be gradedimageimageimage Not to sure if that was a wise decision.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>& I mailed my set to PCGS to be gradedimageimageimage Not to sure if that was a wise decision. >>

I was going to get mine graded but I was unsure of the point of having a set potentially all with different grades...It will be hard to get a set in all the same grade

I guess it would work if you were going to sell them individually...

If I was keeping them I would want all the same grade
  • Options
    Dumped mine for a tidy sum. Fully expect to get another set for 1/2 of what I sold mine for.

How can you pass up the perfect storm that AMPEX created?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I just wish I could get some.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just wish I could get some. >>

Like some...I should have and I could have but I did not... so now i am image and just dead tired... image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I too bailed out and took a nice profit. I hope the gentleman I traded them too make money on them as well.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR all!!!!
    TD >>

Nice Statement. I'm not so sure these sets will be seen by individuals, with the profit now I'm thinking the AP's will get most of these sold to dealers before the general public gets a shot regardless of the Mint rules.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    One says this:

We have placed our order through the United States Mint in accordance with their guidelines. All Mint orders are subject to approval. If confirmed by the Mint, we expect to begin pricing and accepting orders January 11, 2011. If more information becomes available before then, we will post it on this website.

Another has this;

Dec 29th 2010 - JHCB Inc is not selling any 5 oz. ATB coins until we can develop a
    distribution method that complies with the US Mint's guidelines for these coins.

Absolutely No Phone Calls regarding ATB Coins will be taken at this time.

****************************************************************************************

Looks like it is being pushed back again.....
  • Options
    controlling supply.....

controlling prices.....

the USM should put an end to this BS--- asap.

how?

sell quantities now or dont bother placing an order for 2011 bullion.

just my opinion.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I too bailed out and took a nice profit. I hope the gentleman I traded them too make money on them as well.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR all!!!!
    TD >>

Guess theres no point in sharing info in this thread anymore seems like the flippers have taken over, that should make getting my first set alot easier now that you all still need another. Happy New Year image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    everyone has the same info.

the AP's are controlling the situation.

they control the supply being released into the secondary mkt.

therefore prices are high. ebay prices would not be anywhere near the prices currently if they started releasing sets.

the company offering walk ins Monday - I wonder if they will sell anywhere near their 3000 set allotment. my guess is not.
  • Options
    check out (hsn) home shopping network...item number 117-293...selling anacs ms69 pucks for $4800.00 plus tax..plus shipping...said they sent in thousands for grading...:image
  • Options
    7/8 that seems to be a good option, the mint has screwed this up FUBAR. They should have placed a deadline to sell or at least take the orders by Jan. 3rd. Either do it or don't order period.

Oh well, some may still be shipping sets in February now. Maybe the walk in guy will open a gas station to go along with the sales of these.
  • Options
    HSN must have gotten over a thousand sets to grade that high, looks like the mints rules worked about as well as a highway speed limit, Lol.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was planning on having 3 sets from MsM. Then I decided to scale it back to maybe one set. I'm still going to try for one at issue price, but if I can't get one at a markup comparable to what the Mint calls "collectable bullion" prices, there is no way I'll be interested in this series.

At this point, the money I had set aside is being earmarked for other types of bullion. Watching from the sidelines, if required - can be entertaining sometimes. It's a product that could be hazardous to your financial health if you buy high.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to catch that HSN on tv. I watched it last night and missed it, and missed it today too.

Anyone get a screen capture of that?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    go to hsn ...you can watch it anytime..taped
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was planning on having 3 sets from MsM. Then I decided to scale it back to maybe one set. I'm still going to try for one at issue price, but if I can't get one at a markup comparable to what the Mint calls "collectable bullion" prices, there is no way I'll be interested in this series.

At this point, the money I had set aside is being earmarked for other types of bullion. Watching from the sidelines, if required - can be entertaining sometimes. It's a product that could be hazardous to your financial health if you buy high. >>

Yep and right now its Sky High.
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Is the one set per household across all APs, or each household can attempt to get 1 from each AP?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the one set per household across all APs, or each household can attempt to get 1 from each AP? >>

What I understand is that you can buy all you wish, but the same AP cant sell to you more then once.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is the one set per household across all APs, or each household can attempt to get 1 from each AP? >>

What I understand is that you can buy all you wish, but the same AP cant sell to you more then once. >>

or your initials are CSN, HSN, tCV
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    News from PCGS....a PCGS rep. called me back to answer my question about their slabs.

Their ATB slabs will not have any special designs, just the usual labels for both the FS and non FS coins. (I.e., the FS coins will have the usual FS labels).

I have to admit that I do like the designs on the NGC slabs.

Update: I was just informed by PCGS that work on the puck slabs was completed today and grading will commence.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    Just received an email from these guys...they have the ATB in stock! $2,999.99

MintProducts
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>News from PCGS....a PCGS rep. called me back to answer my question about their slabs.

Their ATB slabs will not have any special designs, just the usual labels for both the FS and non FS coins. (I.e., the FS coins will have the usual FS labels).

I have to admit that I do like the designs on the NGC slabs.

Update: I was just informed by PCGS that work on the puck slabs was completed today and grading will commence. >>

Any word on the FS cutoff date Raufus?

Thanks, Miles

Got it:

2010 First Strike cut-off dates 2010 First Day of Issue cut-off dates
    National Quarters Silver Set
    (5OZ. 25cent) All eligible
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Exactly Miles-

I just got off the phone w/two PCGS Reps:

ALL pucks, no matter when submitted will be FS eligible!!

Also, I was informed that the Modern tier ($14/coin) will not be available for the pucks. They must be submitted under Regular ($30/coin) :-(

So, it's about $280/set for grading :-(

Anybody know about NGC ER cut off (if any)?
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    The Mint should pull everything back and sell them on thier own site.
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options
    Your Avitar is my favorite on the boards!! My kids love that pic. What kind of chicken is that??
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm trying to catch that HSN on tv. I watched it last night and missed it, and missed it today too.

Anyone get a screen capture of that? >>

If you zoom it it claims these are part of 210 sets from ANACS graded MS69. Where the hell did he get 210 sets from and already had them sent to ANACS. I smell some pretty big rats! image
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint should pull everything back and sell them on thier own site. >>

Not possible unless they put a Mint Mark on the pucks. US Mint is not allowed to sell bullion from their site. It requires an Act of Congress to do so.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>who needs screen capture when they offer them on the HSN site >>

Soooooo..... remind me again WHY $1395 pre-sale, as many as you want, was a BAD thing??????
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not possible unless they put a Mint Mark on the pucks. US Mint is not allowed to sell bullion from their site. It requires an Act of Congress to do so. >>

I hate to ask, but I'm going to - anyone know the thought process behind this policy / law / legislation?

Makes no sense to me, but maybe there is a logical reason for it. image

Edited for clarity - Unless it's got a mint mark on it the Mint can't sell it to the public? Why?
  • Options

<< <i>

Soooooo..... remind me again WHY $1395 pre-sale, as many as you want, was a BAD thing?????? >>

Please see the hundreds of prior posts in which this was explained in detail.

• Options

I like those slabs as well. Bummer that PCGS is not putting a design on their slabs.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too late. I see many dealers now (thanks guys for linking) offering them for sale at high, higher, and how high can this go prices!

It may come to pass that APMEX was the only "entry level" for this set. How sad.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just received an email from these guys...they have the ATB in stock! $2,999.99

MintProducts >>

Looks more obvious all the time that the Mint's instructions are being ignored... or at least the spirit of the instructions.

As far as I am concerned, it is now time to kill the concept of using the AP's for distribution of ANY of the Mints products. Or, if they want that right to do so, they can BID competitively for that contract. While I am not happy that I am not able to get these items as a collector (without paying the pumped up price), I am just as upset if not more so as a taxpayer, and seeing this abuse take place at the expense of our taxpayer dollars that went into the development and production of these coins. Any of the initial profit to be made would have been more appropriate if it went back to the Mint in some form, not into the pockets of the greedy AP's who have a lock / monopoly on these items, and distributing only to the favored few.
    ----- kj
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Soooooo..... remind me again WHY $1395 pre-sale, as many as you want, was a BAD thing?????? >>

Please see the hundreds of prior posts in which this was explained in detail. >>

I HAVE read EVERY post since day one and I still cannot agree that it was a bad thing. All sets would have been in collector hands by now and the "special" people, a.k.a. HSN Coin Vault etc. etc. would be on a level playing field with everyone else.

As it sits now it just goes on and on and on and on...available 12/27.....um no, 1/3 , yup that's when....errrr...no wait 1/17 definitely available then.....unless..........

Freakin' circus......You know these clowns already have a bunch and have had them graded already AND brag about it.....That really has leveled the playing field

Sooo $1395 WAS a bad thing I guess......image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file