Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I don't think there really IS a book...I think he's just saying "don't be stupid and buy these here when you can buy them from this list of sellers."
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I said this months ago and I'm saying it now.

These will go the way of the Spouse coins........ >>

Quite an uninformed statement ... there is not one spousal coin that is not selling above issue price.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Quite an uninformed statement ... there is not one spousal coin that is not selling above issue price. >>

The Buchanan 70's fell to a loss for the sellers, but the sale price was above issue price.

now that someone has made the AP list public, it will be interesting to see what happens to eBay sales and prices.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>now that someone has made the AP list public, it will be interesting to see what happens to eBay sales and prices. >>

Drive prices up? Since the callers will not be able to buy any, it will increase the appearance of unavailability and cause the bidding frenzy to increase...
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think there really IS a book...I think he's just saying "don't be stupid and buy these here when you can buy them from this list of sellers." >>

Someone should buy it, and then the seller is out $30+ in Ebay fees and then has to print and produce a book.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't think there really IS a book...I think he's just saying "don't be stupid and buy these here when you can buy them from this list of sellers." >>

Someone should buy it, and then the seller is out $30+ in Ebay fees and then has to print and produce a book. >>

Thank you for volunteering to do so!!!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Somebody's Fed up.... >>

Probably another forum "protectorate."

BTW it's not a book..."My Pamphlet, a self-published work created in 2010"
  • RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Like this one? image >>

It didn't sell. And 90% of the Spouse coins are selling for melt.
  • RMLTM79RMLTM79 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Quite an uninformed statement ... there is not one spousal coin that is not selling above issue price. >>

How would you know I'm uninformed?? It's not like I collected these or anything. And I wasn't referring to the issue price, genious, I was referring to melt value. Soon the market will be flooded with these and at $60-$70/ounce, alot of people are gonna get burned. But, buy what you want, its your money.

<< <i>It didn't sell. And 90% of the Spouse coins are selling for melt. >>

It did sell. $3100, so $6200 gold, or a 440% premium over melt. Not bad...
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The point is that markets seek their equilibriums over time. The Gold Spouses are an incomplete series and there is no market equilibrium (and won't be) until there is active buy/sell trading going on. Until then, it's all speculation. Same goes for these 5 oz coins, and that will be true for at least the next 10 years.

Note - speculation isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. If you buy these at a huge premium, I think that you are fooling yourself. I don't know where the market price will come to rest, but this is a pattern that we see all the time with a popular new issue.

We don't even know how many collectors will result from this mess that the Mint and the greedy Authorized Purchasers are creating. Does anybody know whose selling these in the general marketplace yet? Nope.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>

<< <i>

How would you know I'm uninformed?? It's not like I collected these or anything. And I wasn't referring to the issue price, genious, I was referring to melt value. Soon the market will be flooded with these and at $60-$70/ounce, alot of people are gonna get burned. But, buy what you want, its your money. >>

Did you mean to say genius? Thanks for the compliment. Perhaps in the future, you need to be a little bid more precise of what you're posting. Your own statement indicates, that you are not up to snuff with the First Spouse Gold coins. ("It's not like I collected these or anything")
  • tcmitssrtcmitssr Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know how to actually buy a set from an Authorized Distributor yet? Someone wake me when they allow "regular people" to buy a set. >>

Keep on dreamin .... you're on their sh_t list...image

I advised my friends who are interested, to place their names on "Alert me List" from APMEX. Seems to me the easiest AP to deal with. >>

I spoke with apmex live today. They did tell me they will be working from the original alert list that started this summer. I checked and mine was posted aug 24th. She would not tell me when this would start. image >>

I did the same and discovered that what I thought was an "alert me" for the hockey pucks in June was really for the actual quarter set, not the hockey pucks. That date is when they first went on sale and I put in an "alert me" on them.

Hope this isn't the case with you.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Does anyone know how to actually buy a set from an Authorized Distributor yet? Someone wake me when they allow "regular people" to buy a set. >>

Keep on dreamin .... you're on their sh_t list...image

I advised my friends who are interested, to place their names on "Alert me List" from APMEX. Seems to me the easiest AP to deal with. >>

I spoke with apmex live today. They did tell me they will be working from the original alert list that started this summer. I checked and mine was posted aug 24th. She would not tell me when this would start. image >>

I did the same and discovered that what I thought was an "alert me" for the hockey pucks in June was really for the actual quarter set, not the hockey pucks. That date is when they first went on sale and I put in an "alert me" on them.

Hope this isn't the case with you. >>

True ... I checked my account & they still had my alerts from August, but since I already received my set, I deleted the alerts. If everyone who received their set does the same, it might speed up the process for those that did not buy them when they were available.
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Put on your best phone-face. These people must be inundated with calls. The clearly audible sighs when these sets are mentioned makes one think we may not be going to get on every list and may not get each call-back.
  • smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Flippers and APs alike... lots of 1099s to go around soon. image
  • SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Put on your best phone-face. These people must be inundated with calls. The clearly audible sighs when these sets are mentioned makes one think we may not be going to get on every list and may not get each call-back. >>

Authorized Distributors ->Please let us know when it's time to hang this sign!

<< <i>image >>

<< <i>Flippers and APs alike... lots of 1099s to go around soon. image >>

Not until 2012 ....
  • The Mint's 2011 Product Schedule doesn't show the numismatic release of the ATB hockey pucks.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProdschedView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    OK I have a question. Say for instance 10 different authorized dealers were to put these coin sets up for sale.
    You are allowed to purchase one set per household. What is to stop you from ordering one set from each dealer?
    Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman

<< <i>What is to stop you from ordering one set from each dealer? >>

Nothing. Nor is there anything stopping an AP from selling to the other 8 ATB buyers, thus ensuring them a decent margin on 8 of their 3000+ sets...

edit: Why couldn't AP's sell to other AP's and their employees? APMEX has 40 employees, so they buy 40 sets from the other 8 and sell the other 8 as many sets as they can produce names/addresses for?
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    A gal from Dillon Gage just called. She said she was working on the ATB 5oz. She asked me for my mailing address.

After giving it to her, she said 'Thanks!' and the conversation was over, she hung up.

I couldn't even get out 'Can I order a set?'.

But - I think its a clue that things are moving forward.
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Like this one? image >>

It didn't sell. And 90% of the Spouse coins are selling for melt. >>

It did sell!!
    I have been with this series since the begining and it has held up decently in top grades. No series has winners everywhere. Everyone has keys that do well while most of the others flounder. So if you are saying that the first issue of the pucks are not going to do good you picked a weak comparison. You may still be correct about the pucks, and time will tell, but I think you are spittin' in the wind.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not until 2012 .... >>

I don't fit either mold, and that's not the issue. These orbs (paper weights) are expensive and paperwork has been required regarding the reporting of income since before I was born. So , onto something worth discussing. This is a precious metals thread cleverly disguised and designed by the U.S. Mint to violate Mr Willis and PCGS posting rules.

a coinspiracy at the highest levels of government.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Not until 2012 .... >>

The 1099s will never happen. There is bipartisan agreement on this.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    watch ampex national parks disappeared asked them online where it went they responded clerical error will be back up soon. tick tock tick tock ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, is everyone ready? Ok there back up there again its getting close i can feel it image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint's 2011 Product Schedule doesn't show the numismatic release of the ATB hockey pucks.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProdschedView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001 >>

The CW article that I referred to indicates that they are in doubt.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    Well I just got a call from my dealer on these (Monaco-Unique Coins) and they said all orders canceled. Thank you US Mint. Your fairness is so unfair.

• << <i>

<< <i>The Mint's 2011 Product Schedule doesn't show the numismatic release of the ATB hockey pucks.

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProdschedView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001 >>

The CW article that I referred to indicates that they are in doubt. >>

I haven't read the article, as I don't have a subscription. But based on what I've read in the legislation, I really don't see how they can do a numismatic version without changing the law....but why oh why would the USM advertise that they are planning on releasing a numismatic version if the law wasn't on their side? Perhaps it was a bluff to try to reduce the insanity on these bullion releases. Of course, I'm wildly speculating, but it's too fun.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
    ...but why oh why would the USM advertise that they are planning on releasing a numismatic version if the law wasn't on their side? Perhaps it was a bluff to try to reduce the insanity on these bullion releases. Of course, I'm wildly speculating, but it's too fun. >>

After all of this, you are giving them a lot of credit for thinking. If that was their intention then it would seem to me that they would sell the exact coin, not one with a P mint mark. Of course, there may be a reason why they couldn't do that.

• << <i>...but why oh why would the USM advertise that they are planning on releasing a numismatic version if the law wasn't on their side? Perhaps it was a bluff to try to reduce the insanity on these bullion releases. Of course, I'm wildly speculating, but it's too fun. >>

After all of this, you are giving them a lot of credit for thinking. If that was their intention then it would seem to me that they would sell the exact coin, not one with a P mint mark. Of course, there may be a reason why they couldn't do that. >>

Right. Assumptions. I just assumed they would consult their legal team before posting stuff on their website willy-nilly. I personally think that we're missing something in the legislation, and that the numismatic version will go forward. At this time they still have a mention of it on their website.

However, I will be watching this on their website to see if it quietly disappears.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only guess at how the Mint is making their decisions these days. Now, instead of one political hack as the front man, they probably have 2 or 3 (former) honchos wanting to make the decisions.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

<< <i>

<< <i>...but why oh why would the USM advertise that they are planning on releasing a numismatic version if the law wasn't on their side? Perhaps it was a bluff to try to reduce the insanity on these bullion releases. Of course, I'm wildly speculating, but it's too fun. >>

After all of this, you are giving them a lot of credit for thinking. If that was their intention then it would seem to me that they would sell the exact coin, not one with a P mint mark. Of course, there may be a reason why they couldn't do that. >>

Right. Assumptions. I just assumed they would consult their legal team before posting stuff on their website willy-nilly. I personally think that we're missing something in the legislation, and that the numismatic version will go forward. At this time they still have a mention of it on their website.

However, I will be watching this on their website to see if it quietly disappears. >>

Remember, you are talking about a government that does not read their own laws until AFTER they vote for them. Remember how the word assume breaks down. Assume=Ass-U-Me.
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< ...but why oh why would the USM advertise that they are planning on releasing a numismatic version if the law wasn't on their side? Perhaps it was a bluff to try to reduce the insanity on these bullion releases. Of course, I'm wildly speculating, but it's too fun. >> >>

I believe the new legislation recently signed into law (the same legislation that allows the mint more flexibility on the diameter) gives the mint the legal authority to issue collector versions. I think that they will use the argument that the coins are being sold in 2011 and therefore are legal under the new law.

BTW - The ATB pucks are back up on the APMEX website. Still not for sale to the general public...
  • silverman68silverman68 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    $4000 set very soon for the lucky ones.
  • I spoke to a nice rep from APMEX today about my alert i set in July, but never received any notification when the sets went on sale. Anyway I asked her when they might be putting these up for sale and she said "hopefully by the end of the week" I figure they will be selling them early next week.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Hope all the phone reps eat their Wheaties next week.image
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Sent a set in for grading, with the first strike label around 300.00image

It will be interesting to see what they come back as, every coin seemed to have a problem of some sort

Maybe its time to start a poor mans setimage----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nor is there anything stopping an AP from selling to the other 8 ATB buyers, thus ensuring them a decent margin on 8 of their 3000+ sets... >>

This is an incorrect statement.

AP's, per the USM agreement (per the USM Marketing office) may buy from the secondary market but are prohibited to selling those for more than the 10% markup on the original cost of the set.

The AP's are shutdown my friends from making more than 10% on the deal..
    My conversations with APMEX always seem to end with them preferring to alert the folks with pre-set alerts BEFORE they open up the floodgates. They said one option was to email them - maybe in groups of 500. This seems realistic.

I expect them to do this soon (next week).

Not sure which alerts they will use (if you placed them by coin in the mid-late summer, or placed it on the 5 coin set after the initial sale of sets the weekend of Dec 3-4) - so I left both of mine in place.

<< <i>The AP's are shutdown my friends from making more than 10% on the deal.. >>

But they are not shutdown from having their employees buying from each other - at the 10% over cost - and then the AP has sets which are now 'secondary' and eligible for submission and sale at 'market' prcies
    Wrong again.

The AP CANNOT sell the sets either PRIMARY or as SECONDARY for more than 10% over original USM cost.

I confirmed this with USM marketing. I was unaware they couldnt act as a secondary seller if purchasing sets out of the secondary market and then make the "market based" profit.

<< <i>Wrong again.

The AP CANNOT sell the sets either PRIMARY or as SECONDARY for more than 10% over original USM cost.

I confirmed this with USM marketing. I was unaware they couldnt act as a secondary seller if purchasing sets out of the secondary market and then make the "market based" profit. >>

They would be the third owner - original AP, then the employee of the other AP, then they buy it from their employee. So Dillon Gages sells to Sally Smith who works for A-Mark. Sally Smith sells to A-Mark and A-Mark can sell at market. Or are you suggesting that the AP's are prohibited from ever making 10% over original Mint cost when dealing in these, regardless of how many people owned them prior to their acquisition?
    You got it.

I was surprised when I heard it too.

But that is the case from what I was told.

<< <i>You got it.

I was surprised when I heard it too.

But that is the case from what I was told. >>

That is stunning that the Mint is attempting to regulate the products the AP's can deal in in the open market.
    im sure they are not happy about it

• << <i>im sure they are not happy about it >>

Seriously, are you?
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wrong again.

I confirmed this with USM marketing. I was unaware they couldnt act as a secondary seller if purchasing sets out of the secondary market and then make the "market based" profit. >>

"My sources" tell me that taxmad is correct. Once the AP has proof that his allocation has been sold according to the rules, it returns to free market business as usual----------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file