Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Dealers are willing to pay $1200? That seems good to me, considering the price from APMEX was $850. They're willing to pay a $350 markup, when most of the APs haven't even released yet.... >>

The $1200 price is interesting because that is the buy price that APMEX posted when they were selling the sets for $1395. I wonder if that $1200 came from that.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Dealers are willing to pay $1200? That seems good to me, considering the price from APMEX was $850. They're willing to pay a $350 markup, when most of the APs haven't even released yet.... >>

The $1200 price is interesting because that is the buy price that APMEX posted when they were selling the sets for $1395. I wonder if that $1200 came from that. >>

That would make more sense.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    a local dealer confirmed the dealer to dealer bid of 1200

regardless of how the bid was arrived at, it tells you dealers are willing to pay more than that.......IMO meaning that they will be able to acquire them at that price or lower.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest on line Coin World indicates, that the AP's are planning to sell their allocation beginning 1/3/11.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    good luck with that.

many on here have more up to date info.....
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Latest on line Coin World indicates, that the AP's are planning to sell their allocation beginning 1/3/11. >>

Operation: T1+BigFamily... is ready to strike! image

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<good luck with that.>>

<<many on here have more up to date info..... >>

Coin World should do an expose on this entire circus...who knows, maybe they will!

• Options
    the agreement apparently says the USM has the right to audit.......

go ahead and audit the remaining sets in inventory of the AP's.....if they didnt start selling (except APMEX for around 400 sets) then they still should have 3000 each.

that will expose the AP selling to the TV marketeers......
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the agreement apparently says the USM has the right to audit.......

go ahead and audit the remaining sets in inventory of the AP's.....if they didnt start selling (except APMEX for around 400 sets) then they still should have 3000 each.

that will expose the AP selling to the TV marketeers...... >>

I am begging to wonder if any of the AP's are going to sell to the 'general public' through a website or 800 number. These companies usually deal in large lots and large dollars and saw what happened to APMEX when they made some of these available on their website. IMHO they are selling to their existing distributors and the distributors employees'. This way, the AP's keep their customers happy - better give the profit to someone who will do business with you again versus Joe Public -, can put several sets in one box (doesn't say one set shipped per address, just one set to an address. I have ten addresses and they all wanted them shipped to the same address) and most importantly, they don't have to deal with Joe Public.

Or it could be a case of needing to get supplies to ship. These things scratch if you look at them wrong. You say 'only 3000 sets' but that is 15,000 coins. That is 15,000 holders of a shape and size that is not made (APMEX holders were the correct diameter but not thickness). That has to take a couple of days, and we are in the holiday season.

Could also be a little of both...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> a local dealer confirmed the dealer to dealer bid of 1200 >>

Is there more than 1 network?
    Just like the Capt said, my dealer also can't find any dealer buy prices.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I planned to keep the ATB's but could not resist a flip at 2200. Will use the proceeds to get the collector set. And that may or may not happen with only 27k sets for sale.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I am begging to wonder if any of the AP's are going to sell to the 'general public' through a website or 800 number. These companies usually deal in large lots and large dollars and saw what happened to APMEX when they made some of these available on their website. IMHO they are selling to their existing distributors and the distributors employees'. This way, the AP's keep their customers happy - better give the profit to someone who will do business with you again versus Joe Public -, can put several sets in one box (doesn't say one set shipped per address, just one set to an address. I have ten addresses and they all wanted them shipped to the same address) and most importantly, they don't have to deal with Joe Public.

Or it could be a case of needing to get supplies to ship. These things scratch if you look at them wrong. You say 'only 3000 sets' but that is 15,000 coins. That is 15,000 holders of a shape and size that is not made (APMEX holders were the correct diameter but not thickness). That has to take a couple of days, and we are in the holiday season.

Could also be a little of both... >>

This is exactly what is happening, and at prices closer to 900.00 for the sets. Its simply the path of least resistance given the new rules-------------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I planned to keep the ATB's but could not resist a flip at 2200. Will use the proceeds to get the collector set. And that may or may not happen with only 27k sets for sale. >>

And of course your not going to try and get another set ? lol image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Hats off to APMEX for sending the coins,

but lets face it, their hand was forced by the fact they had peoples money, via check and CC. They HAD to do something.

What have they done lately ?

If they didn't have the peoples money, they wouldn't have sold ANY yet. Atleast the others have an excuse, they need to 'prepare' for selling to the public.

Apmex has the coins, they have the website, what's the hold up?

• Options
    I won't get another set. I will follow the rules set by the mint. I have too much to lose if I got caught.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I won't get another set. I will follow the rules set by the mint. I have too much to lose if I got caught. >>

Principles, I like that. image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Could also be a little of both... >>

I asked some time ago how were these going to be packaged. Apparently Apmex had planned to sell them individually, and had some capsules on hand. Why would any of the other wholesale distributors have had capsules on hand?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I will admit that given the opportunity I will attempt to buy more than 1 set...but not to flip...to keep.

I've never sold or fipped a coin yet.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Please excuse the orange shirt reflection, should have known better.
    Last 2 images are for size comparison. Top part of capsule removed.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a significant lack of detail that would be appropriate for coins of that size. The geyser in the Yellowstone quarter resembles a cartoon image.

Simply enlarging a design that was intended for a much smaller coin doesn't work in most cases. Enhancing the details for future 5-ounce ATB issues would make them much more attractive.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>The geyser in the Yellowstone quarter resembles a cartoon image >>

Now I know why the engraving on the side said "ACME"image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    relief designs on saucers!

what will they think of next!
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    You know, it's odd. There's a lot of detail in some areas, while other areas are lacking. The designs seem oddly unfinished.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My father just called Fidelitrade (so I'm getting this second hand) and told me that Fidelitrade said that they were hoping to start sales later this week, presumably by working through their 'interest' list. The rep said that they had 'plenty of product' for everyone. At this point I told my dad that they were planning to sell only 1 coin per person (which is why they had 'plenty,' but then he told me that he was told that the price was going to be $935, so we are guessing that this is for a set... implying that they will sell sets after all.

I don't have any more information...
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    awesome, thanks for sharing that
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    i guess he better look a little harder then
  • Options
    It doesn't seem quite right to me to force everybody into getting all 5 coins. I think there is probably a majority that wants all 5, but I can see someone from the northwest just wanting the Mt. Hood, or someone from Fresno just wanting the Yosemite, for example.

They shouldn't have to pony up nearly a grand to get the 5 coin set, nor should they have to pay a significant markup from a secondary dealer to get a single coin.

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please excuse the orange shirt reflection, should have known better.
    >>

Hey we all know you got a Giants World Series t~shirtimage

and i am extremely jealous of those pucks!
  • Options

<< <i>It doesn't seem quite right to me to force everybody into getting all 5 coins. I think there is probably a majority that wants all 5, but I can see someone from the northwest just wanting the Mt. Hood, or someone from Fresno just wanting the Yosemite, for example.

They shouldn't have to pony up nearly a grand to get the 5 coin set, nor should they have to pay a significant markup from a secondary dealer to get a single coin. >>

I don't think it is a forced buying of all 5.

Some places will surely sell 1. Fidelitrade is selling singles.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It doesn't seem quite right to me to force everybody into getting all 5 coins. I think there is probably a majority that wants all 5, but I can see someone from the northwest just wanting the Mt. Hood, or someone from Fresno just wanting the Yosemite, for example.

They shouldn't have to pony up nearly a grand to get the 5 coin set, nor should they have to pay a significant markup from a secondary dealer to get a single coin. >>

Amen brother! image
  • Options
    But will Fidelitrade allow you to pick and choose which ones you want to purchase...up to one of each...or will they sell one COIN per HH?
  • Options
    I'm thinking that Fidelitrade was just an example and when thee go on sale, finally, there will be others that sell singles up to 1 of each per HH.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

These are just bullion and being sold as such by law as we have been told. You shouldn't care what the design is and they shouldn't allow anyone to pick if you ask me.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

2736 posts divided by 24 day old thread equals 114 posts per day. Finally something to see what the BIG fuss is all about. Giant quarter hoarders image
  • Options
    kimber45acp,

The pictures of your coins with the red background look great.
    The mint should offer you a job in coin design.

If you look a Fidelitrade's business model the distribution of the ATB's is a gift of advertising that money could not buy.

The one coin per household will give them an excellent chance to grow their core business.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Ebay auction ended a short while ago for $2550!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My father just called Fidelitrade ...but then he told me that he was told that the price was going to be $935, so we are guessing that this is for a set... implying that they will sell sets after all.

I don't have any more information... >>

Well done, thanks for posting.

Remember waaaaaaay back, seems eons ago, actually only 13 days, but back on page like 77 or 80 or something of this crazy thread that won't die I posted this -

<<Tuesday December 14, 2010 7:07 AM

I called Fidelitrade @ 845a cst and talked to Linda. After getting on the list, I asked how many people are on the list, she said, "Over two hundred, but there will be plenty", which I took to mean referring to Fidelitrade's expected supply of ATB pucks. So, we'll see. >>

So, now, a father, granted, secondhand, checks in with a number of $935 from Fidelitrade for a set.

I can't help but think that Fidelitrade Linda might have lost something in the translation when it became known that Fidelitrade was only going to sell one coin per HH.

I know this because I talked to her again when the one coin per HH Fidelitrade info came out. She confirmed it was one coin per HH @ that time.

But how about this -

Linda lost the 'one coin per design per HH' instruction.

It became 'one coin per HH'.

Edited to finish up this thought - I think it a real possibility that Fidelitrade will sell sets. Makes sense to me. With the restrictions placed on Fidelitrade by the mint, they could go the long route and try to milk the 5 oz'ers for everything they are worth.

-or-

Just get on with it, sell 'em and be done with it.

Onward through the fog of puck acquistition!
  • Options
    The Numismatic quote of the day....

From the top of the page, front page story on the pucks in the Jan. 31 issue of CW which I received today.....referring to the new Mint puck policy: "Restricting sales to the public effectively shuts out the secondary market distributors seeking to acquire hundreds of the coins from the authorized purchasers for eventually release to the public." Someone forgot to tell Coin Vault and their AP supplier about this.

It's amazing how much coverage that this is getting. Front page of CW and NN, multiple stories in CW.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My father just called Fidelitrade ...but then he told me that he was told that the price was going to be $935, so we are guessing that this is for a set... implying that they will sell sets after all.

I don't have any more information... >>

Well done, thanks for posting.

Remember waaaaaaay back, seems eons ago, actually only 13 days, but back on page like 77 or 80 or something of this crazy thread that won't die I posted this -

<<Tuesday December 14, 2010 7:07 AM

I called Fidelitrade @ 845a cst and talked to Linda. After getting on the list, I asked how many people are on the list, she said, "Over two hundred, but there will be plenty", which I took to mean referring to Fidelitrade's expected supply of ATB pucks. So, we'll see. >>

So, now, a father, granted, secondhand, checks in with a number of $935 from Fidelitrade for a set.

I can't help but think that Fidelitrade Linda might have lost something in the translation when it became known that Fidelitrade was only going to sell one coin per HH.

I know this because I talked to her again when the one coin per HH Fidelitrade info came out. She confirmed it was one coin per HH @ that time.

But how about this -

Linda lost the 'one coin per design per HH' instruction.

It became 'one coin per HH'.

Edited to finish up this thought - I think it a real possibility that Fidelitrade will sell sets. Makes sense to me. With the restrictions placed on Fidelitrade by the mint, they could go the long route and try to milk the 5 oz'ers for everything they are worth.

-or-

Just get on with it, sell 'em and be done with it.

Onward through the fog of puck acquistition! >>

I called F.Trade and explained why only selling 1 coin/HH made no sense. She said that the mgmt. is happy to hear from customers. If any of you feel so inclined, call.
  • Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I called F.Trade and explained why only selling 1 coin/HH made no sense. She said that the mgmt. is happy to hear from customers. If any of you feel so inclined, call.

<<<<<<<<<<
    Whats their number? I will call them tomorrow and tell them the same.image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Generous ebay seller threw in an ASE Proof to seal the deal and generate the first $2550 price!

Good thinking, way to set the new curve!

This is going to be interesting as to where the prices go once the "general release (cough)" begins.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>I called F.Trade and explained why only selling 1 coin/HH made no sense. She said that the mgmt. is happy to hear from customers. If any of you feel so inclined, call.

<<<<<<<<<<
    Whats their number? I will call them tomorrow and tell them the same.image >>

Sounds good!! (800) 223-1080 and (302) 762-6200
  • Options
    The 12/27 CW articles on the pucks are must reads for the puck thread addicts. In particular, the last section on p. 68 "Numismatic program" would seem to put the numismatic issue in doubt. The plot thickens.
  • Options

<< <i>The pictures of your coins with the red background look great. >>

My big fat hand above the canyon kind of looks like a cloud.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And another (BIN) Set goes down for $2499.

Are these reaching stonger hands or will these price jumps create another wave of "APMEX Source" selling?

I have yet to notice an ebay seller claiming they got their set from an AP other than APMEX.

How many of you have chosen to keep your sets sealed? The excellent pics posted here allowed me to wait.

Boy, what crazy pricing we may see for the first slabbed versions! I just don't see any dealer offers that make that scenario likely quite yet.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    These coins are doomed.image
  • Options

<< <i>

How many of you have chosen to keep your sets sealed? The excellent pics posted here allowed me to wait.

Miles >>

I broke into mine like there was no tomorrow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file