Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    I personally visited The Gold Center in Springfield, Illinois today and wanted to pass on what I learned. They are very nice people there who are also frustrated with what happened with the Mint and the release of the coins.

The complete set will sell for around $920 and will go on sale on Monday, Jan 3rd.

The set can only be bought in person on a first come, first serve basis. It will be one set per household. No shipping is available.

Hope this information is helpful.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It just might be worth taking a flight...

And you can see where the Simpsons is filmed...
  • Options
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How many of you have chosen to keep your sets sealed? The excellent pics posted here allowed me to wait.

Miles >>

I thought about it until I remembered I had a $1900 refund check in the box
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>How many of you have chosen to keep your sets sealed? The excellent pics posted here allowed me to wait.

Miles >>

I thought about it until I remembered I had a $1900 refund check in the box >>

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I personally visited The Gold Center in Springfield, Illinois today and wanted to pass on what I learned. They are very nice people there who are also frustrated with what happened with the Mint and the release of the coins.

The complete set will sell for around $920 and will go on sale on Monday, Jan 3rd.

The set can only be bought in person on a first come, first serve basis. It will be one set per household. No shipping is available.

Hope this information is helpful. >>

They're planning on 3k walkins?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're planning on 3k walkins? >>

Don't most have more than 3000, as the pucks not taken in the first round were made available on 12/20? Wonder what the price delta is between the two sets?
  • Options
    A raw puck set just sold (auction not BIN) for $2750!!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I personally visited The Gold Center in Springfield, Illinois today and wanted to pass on what I learned. They are very nice people there who are also frustrated with what happened with the Mint and the release of the coins.

They're planning on 3k walkins? >>

The high for monday in springfield 26 dress warm 2999 people to go woohooooooimage
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The high for monday in springfield 26 dress warm 2999 people to go woohooooooimage >>

I wonder if I drove down there Monday morning if I could get one before they were sold out.
    What's the over/under? 9:20 A.M.????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

The high for monday in springfield 26 dress warm 2999 people to go woohooooooimage >>

I wonder if I drove down there Monday morning if I could get one before they were sold out.
    What's the over/under? 9:20 A.M.???? >>

drive down? where you at? stop by normal and pick me up. My guess is for the overnight stay, set up a tent the night before........ image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    the gold center selling to walk ins only is rediculous. I suppose the extra $$ is for state sales tax.

they sell routinely to retail customers by mail order/phone everyday.

i have ordered from them over the years - they have a good mail/phone operation.

another bunch of bs.
  • Options

<< <i>I suppose the extra $$ is for state sales tax. >>

I believe Springfield is 7.75% so that would be about right
  • Options

I know several standing customers of AP's (who havent made these coins available yet)

who have done 5 and 6 figure deals in bullion with them previously

who will take their business elsewhere because of this escapade

good for the AP's - that will hurt more than the miniscule profit on these sets

now they will lose real business because of this debacle.
  • Options

<< <i>I know several standing customers of AP's (who havent made these coins available yet)

who have done 5 and 6 figure deals in bullion with them previously

who will take their business elsewhere because of this escapade

good for the AP's - that will hurt more than the miniscule profit on these sets

now they will lose real business because of this debacle. >>

I agree with you 100% Their greedy behinds will make less in the long run.
  • Options

<< <i>drive down? where you at? stop by normal and pick me up. My guess is for the overnight stay, set up a tent the night before........ >>

I'm up here in Muscatine, IA (100 miles NW of Peoria). I'd drive down if we could somehow insure a place in line.

Any ideas? image
  • Options

<< <i>The 12/27 CW articles on the pucks are must reads for the puck thread addicts. In particular, the last section on p. 68 "Numismatic program" would seem to put the numismatic issue in doubt. The plot thickens. >>

If the Mint doesn't have the necessary legal authority to sell a numismatic version in 2011, the outrageous prices we're seeing on Ebay now will seem like a bargain.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have received confirmation from PCGS that they are now grading and encapsulating these coins without delay. They ARE doing First Strike but do not have a cutoff date yet.
  • Options

<< <i>I have received confirmation from PCGS that they are now grading and encapsulating these coins without delay. They ARE doing First Strike but do not have a cutoff date yet. >>

If the cut off date is 30 d from when APMEX sent out the first orders (which I think is likely) there will be very few FS and the FS will bring moon money IMHO.
  • Options

<< <i>the gold center selling to walk ins only is rediculous. I suppose the extra $$ is for state sales tax.

they sell routinely to retail customers by mail order/phone everyday.

i have ordered from them over the years - they have a good mail/phone operation.

another bunch of bs. >>

Absolute and total B.S. Just another of the countless reasons that the APs should have had no involvement in these whatsoever.
  • Options
    the USM considered selling these direct - that is straight for the horse's mouth....

that's were they erred in judgement.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have received confirmation from PCGS that they are now grading and encapsulating these coins without delay. They ARE doing First Strike but do not have a cutoff date yet. >>

If the cut off date is 30 d from when APMEX sent out the first orders (which I think is likely) there will be very few FS and the FS will bring moon money IMHO. >>

Personally I think that a First Strike designation for these shows how meaningless it really is. It should be "First Delivered" since there is no way to determine which coins were struck first.

Although I will add that it does fit right into the cluster these pucks have become. Mine are staying raw...

Edited to add: actually the designation across the street makes perfect sense: "Early Release" image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

If the cut off date is 30 d from when APMEX sent out the first orders (which I think is likely) there will be very few FS and the FS will bring moon money IMHO. >>

Personally I think that a First Strike designation for these shows how meaningless it really is. It should be "First Delivered" since there is no way to determine which coins were struck first.

Although I will add that it does fit right into the cluster these pucks have become. Mine are staying raw...

Edited to add: actually the designation across the street makes perfect sense: "Early Release" image >>

A more accurate designation would be "Slabbed Only Once" since I think that is why such designations carry a premium. Buyers know it hasn't been cracked out and resubmitted.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options

<< <i>A more accurate designation would be "Slabbed Only Once" since I think that is why such designations carry a premium. Buyers know it hasn't been cracked out and resubmitted. >>

Now THAT makes sense !
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Do we really want the mint to gum up the works again by calling them? At least we now know who is selling and when, the mint will only stop all sales again.

By next week this time everyone here will have ordered, please suck it up for another week. This is like stopping an NFL game when you are on the 10 yard line and ready to score.
  • Options
    BTW I also looked up the authorizing legislation and see nothing about collector versions. Maybe the mint can use those they planned to sell in February for 2011 bullion versions.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW I also looked up the authorizing legislation and see nothing about collector versions. Maybe the mint can use those they planned to sell in February for 2011 bullion versions. >>

I was thinking that they might be making these under the authority for making the normal-size silver coins. I didn't see anything in the legislation limiting these to any size and I don't think there is the end of the year limitation. But that law states that the coins must be 90% silver....
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    The Jan 10 issue of Coin World has a letter from Moy in response to an editorial critical of the Mint's handling of the hockey puck issue. Moy says the limited quantities that were minted were not only a result of time constraints, but also with their blank supplier (Sunshine) not able to deliver blanks at the rate the Mint was expecting. Alternate suppliers were unable to produce blanks that met specifications. Interesting reading.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A more accurate designation would be "Slabbed Only Once" since I think that is why such designations carry a premium. Buyers know it hasn't been cracked out and resubmitted. >>

Are you sure that if you re-sub a first strike coin that PCGS will not maintain the FS status? I think the most accurate description would be "first slabbed" or "early submission."

Again, since ALL coins are being released within 30 day's time, any "first" or "early" designation is meaningless, and I wish the TPGs would acknowledge this silliness and do away with it.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>BTW I also looked up the authorizing legislation and see nothing about collector versions. Maybe the mint can use those they planned to sell in February for 2011 bullion versions. >>

I was thinking that they might be making these under the authority for making the normal-size silver coins. I didn't see anything in the legislation limiting these to any size and I don't think there is the end of the year limitation. But that law states that the coins must be 90% silver.... >>

the 90% silver text you are reading is under the regular quarter part of the legislation. Those are the unnamed "silver proof" coins the mint makes.

At least some of the coins are out. They could stop shipping again, but they can only investigate violations under the current rules. I don't see much to investigate other than the Coin Vault and CSN issues. Also, the Coin Vault claimed on air they were bought on the secondary market, not from an AP. However, I do find it unusual that there had 300 sets sold for the CV and 36 sets sold for CSN such that they could buy them from "the individuals" when all but 1 of the individuals on here still cannot obtain even one.

I have a feeling some nice sounding and victimized sounding AP or APs are fronting one thing to us, but in reality are doing another behind the scenes.

The good thing is that they were sold before even APMEX began shipping their pre-sales. It shouldn't be too hard to find a leak, unless some phony info is out there.

Would this warrant stopping all shipments? So far, I don't think so. 336 sets is a small leak.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody else giving an over/under on the sellout time?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I was thinking that they might be making these under the authority for making the normal-size silver coins. I didn't see anything in the legislation limiting these to any size and I don't think there is the end of the year limitation. But that law states that the coins must be 90% silver.... >>

the 90% silver text you are reading is under the regular quarter part of the legislation. Those are the unnamed "silver proof" coins the mint makes.
    >>

Right, but there's got to be a loophole they're using to release these pucks in 2011. The bullion legislation seems very clear that they can't sell the bullion in 2011. Unless that part was just specific to selling to APs.
  • Options
    they sold them in 2010. they can ship them whenever.

the numismatic versions are made under some other authority they have. They probably also need to be made in 2010 so they can be minted with the 2010 date, but I'm not sure what other laws apply they must follow.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>Nobody else giving an over/under on the sellout time? >>

I'm not even willing to guess on even a single APs sell out date.
  • Options

<< <i>Nobody else giving an over/under on the sellout time? >>

I'll go with 36 hours for APMEX. Other APs will be longer.
  • Options
    (a) The Secretary of the Treasury may mint and issue only the following coins:
    (1) a dollar coin that is 1.043 inches in diameter.
    (2) a half dollar coin that is 1.205 inches in diameter and weighs 11.34 grams.
    (3) a quarter dollar coin that is 0.955 inch in diameter and weighs 5.67 grams.
    (4) a dime coin that is 0.705 inch in diameter and weighs 2.268 grams.
    (5) a 5-cent coin that is 0.835 inch in diameter and weighs 5 grams.
    (6) except as provided under subsection (c) of this section, a one-cent coin that is 0.75 inch in diameter and weighs 3.11 grams.
    (7) A fifty dollar gold coin that is 32.7 millimeters in diameter, weighs 33.931 grams, and contains one troy ounce of fine gold.
    (8) A twenty-five dollar gold coin that is 27.0 millimeters in diameter, weighs 16.966 grams, and contains one-half troy ounce of fine gold.
    (9) A ten dollar gold coin that is 22.0 millimeters in diameter, weighs 8.483 grams, and contains one-fourth troy ounce of fine gold.
    (10) A five dollar gold coin that is 16.5 millimeters in diameter, weighs 3.393 grams, and contains one-tenth troy ounce of fine gold.
    (11) A $50 gold coin that is of an appropriate size and thickness, as determined by the Secretary, weighs 1 ounce, and contains 99.99 percent pure gold.

It looks like the 90% silver refers to the above quarter specifications only, and those coins that don't fit the above have to be specified separately. The 5 ounce coins are but only for bullion, and I don't see where they can do a collector version.
  • Options

<< <i>

It looks like the 90% silver refers to the above quarter specifications only, and those coins that don't fit the above have to be specified separately. The 5 ounce coins are but only for bullion, and I don't see where they can do a collector version. >>

Thanks for looking those figures up. I don't see where they can either....
  • Options
    My friend's raw pucks just sold BIN for $2799!! Ho w high will they go??? He bought them from APMEX on my advice. Not a bad take.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My friend's raw pucks just sold BIN for $2799!! Ho w high will they go??? He bought them from APMEX on my advice. Not a bad take. >>

Now, don't forget to "advice" him of the tax liability.image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    $2,701.00, 53 minutes left
    link

A Coin Vault flipper - BIN $6,999.99
    link
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My friend's raw pucks just sold BIN for $2799!! Ho w high will they go??? He bought them from APMEX on my advice. Not a bad take. >>

Now, don't forget to "advice" him of the tax liability.image >>

That is always a part of my advise to friends when I tell them about a flipping opportunity :-)
  • Options

<< <i>$2,701.00, 53 minutes left
    link

link >>

sickening.

• Options

<< <i>I'll go with 36 hours for APMEX. Other APs will be longer. >>

I hope you're right but I'll move the decimal place and guess 3.6 hours!
  • Options
    I'll guess on this guess.

I don't think it'll go as fast as 3.6 hours.
  • Options

link

link >>

image I never ever thought I would see the phrase "Coin Vault flipper". I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Coin Vault come out with a MS70 set on a future show for $9999.99.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

link

link >>

If these seem high, factor in the FS magic and "APMEX Super-Sealed" mystique and we have a recipe for crazy ascension into the outer layer of insane and unlikely.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Sickening is right. But if the price continues to skyrocket, it's going to be harder and harder to resist a flip.

Odd that the prices are increasing even as we've seen a few of the APs indicate they're going to start selling soon. But I think the sentiment is there.....these things are just not materializing as they should. And if you're not buying from APMEX, the others aren't quite as easy to deal with. There are always a few that don't mind paying moon money for things they really want on the bay.
  • Options
    if they start breaking 3k i maybe tempted to flip...
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the Mint was duped by all the whiny complainers into really screwing up the system so that the opposite of what the Mint intended has happened. Now it is an unfair flippers paradise for a few- at least for the time being. U.S government-experts in the art of unintended consequences.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file