Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That MCM communication really makes me think the only way I'll be getting any of the first year issues will be direct from the mint and their premium price...if I buy.

The sets that are in but not being sold are going off to grading is my bet now. With any kind of price structure a-la bullion out the window once these are collector slabbed.

The above post from CSN as an example. They have 1800 sets???
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if 3000 sets were sold by Gold Center to walk ins,

who agrees to count off how many people are there day 1?

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An MS69 set at $4k might not be a bad price... except it appears it's ANACS instead of NGC or PCGS.

And numbered 1-742 implies that they have 742 sets! image
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    You think CSN and Coin Vault have high prices. Just wait until Jimmy Gerstel gets his hands
    on a set.
  • ...and to add to my confusion I just received this from Dillon Gage:

<< <i>"We expect to begin contacting people on our list next week, after we receive our coins." >>

...after we receive our coins???? I thought the AP's all HAD the coins.....image
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've been sold.

I'd have hoped they were shipped already. They do have to go from PA to TX to get to them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • The Gold Center opens up at 10:00am on Monday.

The Springfield market (@110,000 people) does not support them selling out with local walk-ins in my opinion. Growing up there most people don't really know what true gold or silver money is all about. Plus it's right after Christmas and people are short on cash.

That being said, I left money there at Christmas for my extended family with separate addresses to buy 10 sets.

HAHA - for once growing up in rural central Illinois pays off =)
  • JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Gold Center opens up at 10:00am on Monday.

The Springfield market (@110,000 people) does not support them selling out with local walk-ins in my opinion. Growing up there most people don't really know what true gold or silver money is all about. Plus it's right after Christmas and people are short on cash.

That being said, I left money there at Christmas for my extended family with separate addresses to buy 10 sets.

HAHA - for once growing up in rural central Illinois pays off =) >>

Tell your friends and family to be prepared for a sleep over as the crowd shows up the night before, the line circles the block, tents go up, and local police and news crews are on hand. I can also envision a mobile home across the street with a sign on the side that says "Buying 5 Ounce Parks Sets". Food for thought.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tell your friends and family to be prepared for a sleep over as the crowd shows up the night before, the line circles the block, tents go up, and local police and news crews are on hand. I can also envision a mobile home across the street with a sign on the side that says "Buying 5 Ounce Parks Sets". Food for thought. >>

I hope you left a little for them for the time spent waiting in the cold.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Has there been a single person here successful at obtaining a set from an AP yet?
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Which way are the silver coins?

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Tell your friends and family to be prepared for a sleep over as the crowd shows up the night before, the line circles the block, tents go up, and local police and news crews are on hand. I can also envision a mobile home across the street with a sign on the side that says "Buying 5 Ounce Parks Sets". Food for thought. >>

John, I hope you are in line to get some for us.

• << <i>Tell your friends and family to be prepared for a sleep over as the crowd shows up the night before, the line circles the block, tents go up, and local police and news crews are on hand. I can also envision a mobile home across the street with a sign on the side that says "Buying 5 Ounce Parks Sets". Food for thought. >> >>

Should be around 20 degrees outside. That would be interesting to see people camped out there.

The idea about the mobile home is cool but again I don't think there will be that many people interested locally.

Current picture of the Gold Center =)

<< <i>Has there been a single person here successful at obtaining a set from an AP yet? >>

Just flip back a few pages until you see giant scuffed and scratched shiney disks.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    John M at MCM has made a very intelligent email blast response to the "pucks".

i do envy those folks who have them, don't get me wrong.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I love central Illinois in late April, when the redbud is in bloom, I don't think I will be going down to Springfield on Monday.
    I honestly don't think there will be any retail sales.
    I may be wrong.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

• << <i>That MCM communication really makes me think the only way I'll be getting any of the first year issues will be direct from the mint and their premium price...if I buy.

The sets that are in but not being sold are going off to grading is my bet now. With any kind of price structure a-la bullion out the window once these are collector slabbed.

The above post from CSN as an example. They have 1800 sets??? >>

How do we know those numbers represent quantities, and not something else?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
    If you have your name on the list at North West Territorial Mint, I just got off the phone with them
    and was told it is getting close and to check my email today or tomorrow for more info.
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Dillon Gage has indicated that by being placed on the list is not a promise of anything which is understandable. They also indicated that they were actively watching Ebay closing prices...
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dillon Gage has indicated that by being placed on the list is not a promise of anything which is understandable. They also indicated that they were actively watching Ebay closing prices... >>

Does it mean they're going to sell at Ebay closing pricesimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny

<< <i>

<< <i>Dillon Gage has indicated that by being placed on the list is not a promise of anything which is understandable. They also indicated that they were actively watching Ebay closing prices... >>

Does it mean they're going to sell at Ebay closing pricesimage >>

they can't do that, but I wonder what they are watching them for.image
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has there been a single person here successful at obtaining a set from an AP yet? >>

Just APMEX, from what I have read. Although, I see an ebayer that has pre-sold at least 20 or so sets and continues to pre-sell.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

<< <i>pre-sold at least 20 or so sets >>

<< <i>

<< <i>pre-sold at least 20 or so sets >>

image >>

Maybe this is one of the AP's so called "Public"image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
  • goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

they can't do that, but I wonder what they are watching them for.image >>

See, this is absolute greed. Each AP will make $275,000 + on these, yet then want more.

I mean, yea a few people will flip, even flip a couple/few and yes they'll maybe make $2000 or $3000, but it seems to me that is much much much less then a Quarter Million Dollars.

What's the problem with these people. Seems everyone is mad the little guy might make a buck.

• If I were the USM director, I'd can 'em all and sell bullion directly from the mint from now on. With the advent of the internet, what's the point in buying from the APs for USM products, other than the rule that's in place for bullion? It doesn't make much sense to me.

I have yet to see an ethical backbone from ANY AP thus far. No sympathy.
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dillon Gage has pushed back the expected ordering date on their website to Jan 11 now. It was formerly Jan 3 until moments ago...

<< <i>NOTICE ABOUT AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL 5 OUNCE SILVER COINS: We have placed our order through the United States Mint in accordance with their guidelines. All Mint orders are subject to approval. If confirmed by the Mint, we expect to begin pricing and accepting orders January 11, 2011. If more information becomes available before then, we will post it on this website. >>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

See, this is absolute greed. Each AP will make $275,000 + on these, yet then want more.

I mean, yea a few people will flip, even flip a couple/few and yes they'll maybe make $2000 or $3000, but it seems to me that is much much much less then a Quarter Million Dollars.

What's the problem with these people. Seems everyone is mad the little guy might make a buck. >>

I just like consistency. It is the principle. The size of greed makes no difference to me. Anyone flipping these at the fat profit margin has no moral right to complain about any AP doing similar. That kind of moral relativism has screwed our society up. It's like saying it is ok for a 2-bit robber to break a window and steal a tv but it is not ok for a gangster to rob a bank.

I suggest a new term for these people. Not flippers cause it reminds me of a cute sea creature but they are Coin Scalpers. That sounds more like it.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Maybe they're trying to determine if it's worth violating the Mint's rules. Kinda like the kid who figures a spanking is worth eating all of his sister's Halloween candy.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like some others, I got one from APMEX.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • How many folks here are going to get theirs graded? I'm tempted.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Maybe they're trying to determine if it's worth violating the Mint's rules. Kinda like the kid who figures a spanking is worth eating all of his sister's Halloween candy. >>

NOW I get It... Maybe they are pushing the release dates further and further until Director Moy resigns. Then with nobody sitting at the helm for that short period of time they will probably try to take advantage of the situation. 5K Pucks anyone? image
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    No, the guy at DG did say $937, maybe he was trying to convince me they would be a good buy?image

<< <i>How many folks here are going to get theirs graded? I'm tempted. >>

Mine arrived at PCGS yesterday for grading and FS labeling. As I've mentioned, I now think that it was a HUGE mistake to do this as opposed to selling for the current moon money and getting another set from an AP next week.

The only saving grace may be that, if the APs keep pushing the dates back there may be very few PCGS FS pucks.

PCGS told me that I was one of the first to have the pucks to them so I should be one of the first to have PCGS FS pucks in hand.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    DG is an AP and restricted to 10% markup.

However, I heard the $937 price as well, that must include local sales tax. It must be closer to $860 for out of state sales.

Otherwise, the USM has allowed them to charge some kind of service charge.
    Mine arrived at PCGS yesterday for grading and FS labeling. As I've mentioned, I now think that it was a HUGE mistake to do this as opposed to selling for the current moon money and getting another set from an AP next week.

Not to pick on you but this shows why the Mint's policy is such a farce. It shames me that our government is so stupid. Thank God the military is generally more competent or we would be in big trouble.

<< <i>Mine arrived at PCGS yesterday for grading and FS labeling. As I've mentioned, I now think that it was a HUGE mistake to do this as opposed to selling for the current moon money and getting another set from an AP next week.

Not to pick on you but this shows why the Mint's policy is such a farce. It shames me that our government is so stupid. Thank God the military is generally more competent or we would be in big trouble. >>

I'm not sure of exactly what your statement is referring to.

That said, the ONLY farce going with the pucks is the involvement of the APs. As has been said probably hundreds of times before in this thread, giving 11 or so APs TOTAL control over a limited mintage product - a situation in which the APs serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever except for making 7 figures each for doing nothing but totally abusing their AP agreement - is THE only farce of the puck debacle.

Every member of the public had the same shot to do what I and others did in getting a puck from APMEX. I paid attention, took the "risk" of buying at the inflated price and was rewarded. Everyone on this forum and in the public at large could have done the same thing. Likewise, everyone has the same shot at getting a puck from the other APs - under-the-table and back room deals not-withstanding. In general, we all have the same shot.

If you're referring to my reference to buying more than one set, what's new with that??? Is there anyone on this forum whom will not arrange a friends and family network to hopefully get more than one set of the numismatic version if and when it is sold?? Just as was the case with number per household limited issues in the past, the answer is no.

If I (or anyone) gets more than one at issue price and makes money on it this is our reward to paying attention, much like any number of other investments. Most on Ebay and the fools who buy from the telemarketers are paying a price for not doing their homework. Those on this forum invest time and effort in learning about issues such as this one and are rewarded. Nothing new here.

The ONLY thing that's new - the mega-farce - is the absurd involvement of the APs with this issue. Nothing more, nothing less.

<< <i>0 bids >>

meanwhile, aficionado-1 scores $2612
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>0 bids >>

Pretty horrible pics from that seller.

Clown / birthday / out of focus / hurry up, I'm going to make a killing on ebay pics.

<< <i>And a rough ebayer neg. >>

feedback no longer there!

<< <i>

<< <i>0 bids >>

Pretty horrible pics from that seller.

Clown / birthday / out of focus / hurry up, I'm going to make a killing on ebay pics. >>

absolutely no sales history of anything

• << <i>

<< <i>How many folks here are going to get theirs graded? I'm tempted. >>

The only saving grace may be that, if the APs keep pushing the dates back there may be very few PCGS FS pucks.

PCGS told me that I was one of the first to have the pucks to them so I should be one of the first to have PCGS FS pucks in hand. >>

This was my thought. As much as I think that the FS designation is stupid with these, if things delay long enough, the FS sets will essentially be the first <1000 sets that were APMEX preorders....

And I am not a fan of the APMEX capsules, I've decided. They scratch easily and the dust seems to get in there somehow.
    I did notice the dust. If I were keeping them in the APMEX capsules I would have opened them and used compressed air to remove the dust.

Clearly the APMEX capsules were too thick. That said, I think that APMEX did an absolutely fantastic job of trying to handle the coins with care and to package them very well with what was available to them. To my knowledge there are no capsules available that fit the pucks better than the APMEX ones.

It will be interesting to see how the pucks from the other APs arrive. I suspect that many of them - esp. from APs who don't deal in collectable coins - will not be given the care in handling or packaging that the APMEX pucks were.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And a rough ebayer neg. >>

feedback no longer there! >>

Ebay will remove neg F.B. if left within 24 hrs of the close of an auction. I had no doubt that it would be. On the other hand, I'm glad I blocked the numskull who left it.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Where is this seller going to get two sets of NCG 69 ERs??

Listed for $6570. I think that assuming that you'll get 69s is a big leap.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-oz-AMERICA-BEAUTIFUL-2010-5pc-SET-NGC-ER-MS69-/130469874407?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item1e609c4ae7
  • silverman68silverman68 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mine arrived at PCGS yesterday for grading and FS labeling. As I've mentioned, I now think that it was a HUGE mistake to do this as opposed to selling for the current moon money and getting another set from an AP next week.

Not to pick on you but this shows why the Mint's policy is such a farce. It shames me that our government is so stupid. Thank God the military is generally more competent or we would be in big trouble. >>

I'm not sure of exactly what your statement is referring to.

That said, the ONLY farce going with the pucks is the involvement of the APs. As has been said probably hundreds of times before in this thread, giving 11 or so APs TOTAL control over a limited mintage product - a situation in which the APs serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever except for making 7 figures each for doing nothing but totally abusing their AP agreement - is THE only farce of the puck debacle.

Every member of the public had the same shot to do what I and others did in getting a puck from APMEX. I paid attention, took the "risk" of buying at the inflated price and was rewarded. Everyone on this forum and in the public at large could have done the same thing. Likewise, everyone has the same shot at getting a puck from the other APs - under-the-table and back room deals not-withstanding. In general, we all have the same shot.

If you're referring to my reference to buying more than one set, what's new with that??? Is there anyone on this forum whom will not arrange a friends and family network to hopefully get more than one set of the numismatic version if and when it is sold?? Just as was the case with number per household limited issues in the past, the answer is no.

If I (or anyone) gets more than one at issue price and makes money on it this is our reward to paying attention, much like any number of other investments. Most on Ebay and the fools who buy from the telemarketers are paying a price for not doing their homework. Those on this forum invest time and effort in learning about issues such as this one and are rewarded. Nothing new here.

The ONLY thing that's new - the mega-farce - is the absurd involvement of the APs with this issue. Nothing more, nothing less. >>

Great point, there are many here that will buy and flip, yet they are mad today because nothing in hand. If you can get 100 sets then be it, there is no law against that. Nobody is forced to buy on Ebay, its just the market reacting now.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSN is selling NGC MS69 sets (scroll back a page or two) for $4000... Again, given the remarks about the condition of these coins, I think $4000 for MS69 is probably a great price... especially if you can flip them for $7k.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    shoots............
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file