Home U.S. Coin Forum

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be that some of the AP's may still offer the general public a few of these. But rest assured.... they have been cherrypicked through. It appears that may be the real reason why the selling dates quoted by the AP's were further off and in some cases, changing to a later date. After all, it takes time to cherrypick and get the coins sent to ANACS and NGC, then turn around and get offered to HSN, etc.
    ----- kj

• << <i>It may be that some of the AP's may still offer the general public a few of these. But rest assured.... they have been cherrypicked through. It appears that may be the real reason why the selling dates quoted by the AP's were further off and in some cases, changing to a later date. After all, it takes time to cherrypick and get the coins sent to ANACS and NGC, then turn around and get offered to HSN, etc. >>

Totally agree.....said that from day one
  • This is all too obvious what is happening right now...APs are selling to other dealers at inflated prices while they are holding on a small amount of hockey pucks to meet the mints demand of selling these to the public.

It is now obvious that the APs had their cake and theyre eating it too since technically they are complying by selling them to the public on the 3rd of January or whatever date they have set . Give yourselves a week or two to set up distribution methods or some other lame excuse while at the same time selling to your buddies for a profit. The mint cant do anything, the APs will once again have the upper hand and the general will have a very limited chance to buy them.

Hell the APs can sell 2500 sets to their buddies and leave 500 to the public.
  • That's probably why The Gold Center is doing only OTC sales....They only have 100 to sell and it will be over quick. No reason to set up any sales network....
    "I HAVE read EVERY post since day one and I still cannot agree that it was a bad thing. All sets would have been in collector hands by now and the "special" people, a.k.a. HSN Coin Vault etc. etc. would be on a level playing field with everyone else. "

I think you are dreaming on this one. I think it would have been just as bad, if not worse. For instance, if I recall, at least one of the AP's was mentioned as saying that they were going to send ALL off for grading. Another stated they were not even going to sell to the public (inferring they were going to hold.... and further manipulate the market?). HSN would have still gotten their allotment straight from the AP's; how would that have changed?

Yeah, I know some of you might have been able to get more than one set from Apmex at the 1395 price. But the rest would have gone to HSN, etc., in bulk lots. There would not have been an equitable distribution at all. Not to mention any of the other AP's, on their backroom deals.

----- kj
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>who needs screen capture when they offer them on the HSN site >>

Soooooo..... remind me again WHY $1395 pre-sale, as many as you want, was a BAD thing?????? >>

I am willing to say I'm wrong when the time comes.

Right now the time has not come, and let's not forget many on here were sold their sets at a reasonable price already.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>"I HAVE read EVERY post since day one and I still cannot agree that it was a bad thing. All sets would have been in collector hands by now and the "special" people, a.k.a. HSN Coin Vault etc. etc. would be on a level playing field with everyone else. "

I think you are dreaming on this one. I think it would have been just as bad, if not worse. For instance, if I recall, at least one of the AP's was mentioned as saying that they were going to send ALL off for grading. Another stated they were not even going to sell to the public (inferring they were going to hold.... and further manipulate the market?). HSN would have still gotten their allotment straight from the AP's; how would that have changed?

Yeah, I know some of you might have been able to get more than one set from Apmex at the 1395 price. But the rest would have gone to HSN, etc., in bulk lots. There would not have been an equitable distribution at all. Not to mention any of the other AP's, on their backroom deals. >>

this si probably true, too.

and Monaco raised their prices on the fly. Who's to say that the others wouldn't have done the same? $1500 could have easily turned into $2000 or $2500 in a very short period of time.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Mint should pull everything back and sell them on thier own site. >>

Too late. I see many dealers now (thanks guys for linking) offering them for sale at high, higher, and how high can this go prices!

It may come to pass that APMEX was the only "entry level" for this set. How sad.

Miles >>

I think that Dillon Gage, MTB, Fidilitrade and perhaps NWTM will come through.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
    At least Apmex (kudos to them for that) made a few of these available to the public.... and thanks to the those willing to speak up about the abuse, were able to get them at a greatly reduced price; hopefully they were not cherrypicked very much prior to that.

Wish I had some confidence that the rest of the AP's are going to comply with the full spirit of the Mint expectations... but we already know that is not the case, since graded coins are now showing up in quite a few places. That took some organization and some prior dealing....
    ----- kj
    NWTM is not an AP.

<< <i>NWTM is not an AP. >>

That's what I was thinking also. So... if they have their supply in..... looks like another pre-orchestrated distribution.
    ----- kj

• << <i>Wish I had some confidence that the rest of the AP's are going to comply with the full spirit of the Mint expectations... but we already know that is not the case, since graded coins are now showing up in quite a few places. That took some organization and some prior dealing... >>

That is exactly the point.....other than those who got a set from APMEX the only thing that has been effected is a marked increase in prices and the same unavailability that the calls etc. were trying to prevent....

The publicity and delays and good insider selling have made this situation worse than what would have occurred if it was left to run its course.....

Everyone is just coasting along expecting to get a set from each AP and be fine with that...... This could be a MAJOR incorrect assumption

This is obviously just my opinion and I will leave it at that.....

• The mint should be made aware of what is going on....I highly doubt they will go through an audit process of the APs. We the people of the United States have been given the finger by the APs once again

<< <i>NWTM is not an AP. >>

I didn't realize that (should have known). Oh well, so much for them.

I do think that Dillion, F.Trade and MTB will come through.

• << <i>.I highly doubt they will go through an audit process of the APs. We the people of the United States have been given the finger by the APs once again >>

• epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The mint should be made aware of what is going on.... >>

The mint probably said it was OK for the APs to sell to second tier as long as the second tier adheres to the one per HH rule. The mint HAS to know what is going on. No way they do not.
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Soooooo..... remind me again WHY $1395 pre-sale, as many as you want, was a BAD thing?????? >>

The additional rules people advocated (price fixing and limits) were a waste of time and aggravated the situation. They wouldnt admit it then, they wont now and I doubt they ever will. You can yell "Hey, if we do this the flippers will make even more" and all you get are nasty messages (well, a few nice onesimage)

I ended up with the same amount of sets for a little more time and a little less money,so everything is OK in the end, hope it is for everyone else tooimage-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

• << <i>

The mint probably said it was OK for the APs to sell to second tier as long as the second tier adheres to the one per HH rule. The mint HAS to know what is going on. No way they do not. >>

Is HSN now a second tier seller.....If so I was able to put 9 sets in my basket (for around $43k) and could have checked out.....

<< <i>The mint should be made aware of what is going on....I highly doubt they will go through an audit process of the APs. We the people of the United States have been given the finger by the APs once again >>

Contact made once again.

See, the thing is, the mint employees are not allowed to buy bullion directly from the mint. They can buy what is online via online and what is available through the kiosks via the kiosks. They are even restricted from re-sales.

So, the mint employees are probably well aware sales of these things are not taking place because they can't get them either.

Now, here comes CSN, HSN, tCV, MintProducts.com saying they have many of them and some hundreds of them.

The mint employees are going to know something is up already. They won't be any happier about it than we are.

• << <i>

The mint probably said it was OK for the APs to sell to second tier as long as the second tier adheres to the one per HH rule. The mint HAS to know what is going on. No way they do not. >>

And now that they have the sets in hand there is no way the mint could do a damn thing about it. I blame every single AP out there for this mess, for being so damn greedy aboutt a program that We the People have paid for. I cant place a single balme on one AP, there may be an AP out there who will abide but places like APMEX totally disgust me, they have the sets in hand they have shipped at least a third of their previous pre-sales already so why not do pre-sales now while they get the products packaged

Items such as their 2011 Silver Pandas have messages such as: These items are on a slight delay. We expect to be able to ship these items by January 12th, 2011 or sooner. In the original capsule as issued from the mint. These come in sealed sheets of 30 and sealed boxes of 600 coins.

So why not do the same for these 5 ounces.

Absolutely disgusting that these APs will gouge us the way they have
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    HSN has 4500 employees according to their website, enough to order 4500 sets so it could be they followed the rules, not that I want to defend HSN.

<< <i>HSN has 4500 employees according to their website, enough to order 4500 sets so it could be they followed the rules, not that I want to defend HSN. >>

they can't have them all shipped to the same address. image

• << <i>HSN has 4500 employees according to their website, enough to order 4500 sets so it could be they followed the rules, not that I want to defend HSN. >>

OK.....and how did those 4500 employees get the sets already and give them to HSN to get graded and get them back????

Just sayin'...not buying that

Edited to add.....so you are saying that an HSN employee is able to order a set on their own and you are not?????
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And now that they have the sets in hand there is no way the mint could do a damn thing about it. >>

Yes, the mint can revoke their AP status. The mint needs to demonstrate that they weren't kidding with their rules and enforce them. If they don't enforce them, then they will never take the mint seriously again.

• << <i>HSN has 4500 employees according to their website, enough to order 4500 sets so it could be they followed the rules, not that I want to defend HSN. >>

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. There is the answer to what is happening. As far as APMEX and some of the other APs...they have technically sold to the public already...a fraction of their 1,000 sold on pre-sales. The rest of the sets have already been comitted to secondary dealers (who have probably paid already and have them in hand) so lets do the numbers here

HSN-4500 sets acuquired through other APs
    APMEX- shipped approximately a 1/3 of the pre-sales which leaves them with roughly 2600 sets available.

My best guess is that APMEX will sell approximately 500-600 sets to the public while the erst get sold to the "other public" for a hefty profit.

Guys i hope everyone the best of luck in aquiring these for less than $900. Better have thick sking on your knees and pray that a few APs will follow through selling their entire allocation to the general public otherwise we are screwed
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    We can control it all by just refusing to buy all these overpriced sets and just make the owners eat them.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    OPA to your last point - -

The director of the ATB program told me that they DID consider selling these direct. They opted to go the route of the AP's.

They did believe that their "rules" were "overreaching" but wanted to be sure the public could acquire these sets.

IMO, They failed when they didnt put a TIME LIMIT on offering these - and to specify by which methods they HAVE to be available.

It's simple, if you cant have your sales and distribution method ready by the date specified, you dont get any. PERIOD.

I say the USM should still require these to be sold to the public immediately, or delay any ordering of 2011 bullion products by that AP.

Get tough, USM. Follow through.

• << <i>

Edited to add.....so you are saying that an HSN employee is able to order a set on their own and you are not????? >>

An HSN employee could very well buy them, all that needs to happen is that HSN could very well pay the employees extra money or give them an offer they cant refuse in exchange to have the sets delivered to their address. Its too easy for a company to pay their employees extra money so they can acquire sets. It happens all the time...just look at when the Lincoln pennies were released. Dealers were paying people to stand in line so that they could get more than they were allowed

• << <i>We can control it all by just refusing to buy all these overpriced sets and just make the owners eat them. >>

Like this???

DUH!
    Guys - I really could care less if I get one of these sets.

There is no way im going to buy these at any more than issue ($860).

My lifestyle is not in any way changed by flipping ONE set at 2500, 3000, or even 5000.

I hope the AP's now know that they will lose thousands of dollars worth of normal bullion purchases off many retail customers because of this debacle.

I dont think it'll be worth it for them in the long run.

• << <i>

<< <i>

Edited to add.....so you are saying that an HSN employee is able to order a set on their own and you are not????? >>

An HSN employee could very well buy them, all that needs to happen is that HSN could very well pay the employees extra money or give them an offer they cant refuse in exchange to have the sets delivered to their address. Its too easy for a company to pay their employees extra money so they can acquire sets. It happens all the time...just look at when the Lincoln pennies were released. Dealers were paying people to stand in line so that they could get more than they were allowed >>

The point was that they ALREADY ordered and received and graded the sets.....you are not able to do the same as of today
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

The additional rules people advocated (price fixing and limits) were a waste of time and aggravated the situation. They wouldnt admit it then, they wont now and I doubt they ever will. You can yell "Hey, if we do this the flippers will make even more" and all you get are nasty messages (well, a few nice onesimage)

I ended up with the same amount of sets for a little more time and a little less money,so everything is OK in the end, hope it is for everyone else tooimage-----------BigE >>

Just as I predicted, after the do gooders jumped in, the "fat lady" is beginning to sing & the tune is... "We're in the money" ....
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Im on the APMEX ALERT list.

If I get chosen, i'll buy one.

If not, focus on the rarer numismatic issue in February. 27,000 mintage. It is struck already.

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We can control it all by just refusing to buy all these overpriced sets and just make the owners eat them. >>

Yes sir we can if we all decide to do so...Call it "People Power/Coin Collectors Power"whatever you may like to call it.... now we know this type of action works as long as we commit to not buying these pieces at these outrageous prices. Count me in! image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
    Bad press for the AP's - one bad comment

is like losing 10 customers.

They have lost hundreds of customers.

Their greed amazes me.

• << <i>

<< <i>We can control it all by just refusing to buy all these overpriced sets and just make the owners eat them. >>

Yes sir we can if we all decide to do so...Call it "People Power/Coin Collectors Power"whatever you may like to call it.... now we know this type of action works as long as we commit to not buying these pieces at these outrageous prices. Count me in! image >>

I guess im automatically enrolled in the Power to the People movement....I aint got 2 grand sitting around for these hockey pucks, hell I dont even have 1500 to spend on these so i guess it is either hope for a set at issue price or not collect the series at all. If these dont work out I guess Ill have to bear with the mint on issue day for the numi version...

Look for an issue price of $250 per puck or 1250 a set
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yes sir we can if we all decide to do so...Call it "People Power/Coin Collectors Power"whatever you may like to call it.... now we know this type of action works as long as we commit to not buying these pieces at these outrageous prices. Count me in! image >>

I guess im automatically enrolled in the Power to the People movement....I aint got 2 grand sitting around for these hockey pucks, hell I dont even have 1500 to spend on these so i guess it is either hope for a set at issue price or not collect the series at all. If these dont work out I guess Ill have to bear with the mint on issue day for the numi version...

Look for an issue price of $250 per puck or 1250 a set >>

I'm in at $1250 a set.

<< <i>

Like this???

DUH! >>

This is as a result of the APs holding on to these sets. This buyer does not represent all of us as coin collectors. When more of these become available the Law of Supply and Demand will take over then the prices will come down? If not.... when the Numismatic version comes out then lets see how happy this guy who bought this set for $6K will be trying to unload this set if ever he wants to...if not ...oh well on to the next! image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
  • BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is a double post or not but I've been gone a couple of days and I've been trying to catch up on the thread.

But...Dillon Gage now says on their site...

<< <i> If confirmed by the Mint, we expect to begin pricing and accepting orders January 11, 2011. Our normal $5,000 minimum order policy is being waived for this product. >>

Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Can we make a list of the secondary dealers who have these in hand...

HSN
    CSN
    TCV
    MintProducts.com

and the latest to be added of secondary dealers who have them in hand:

Collectons.com
  • epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Ebay is going bonkers on this ATB mess...

This one ended @ $3640.

"YOU WILL GET ALL COINS PICTURED HERE IN THIS SET !!" - sheesh, all the pics are stock photos

"$$ BUY NOW WHILE PRICES ARE STILL LOW $$" - Really? I guess, now that HSN is posting $4999

"!! PRICE MAY CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE !!" - if HSN price goes up, I'll raise my price, too image

madness
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Like this???

DUH! >>

This is as a result of the APs holding on to these sets. This buyer does not represent all of us as coin collectors. When more of these become available the Law of Supply and Demand will take over then the prices will come down? If not.... when the Numismatic version comes out then lets see how happy this guy who bought this set for $6K will be trying to unload this set if ever he wants to...if not ...oh well on to the next! image >>

Wow, I can't wait to see what a PCGS 69 will go for. I'm not sure if I'd even want the "burnished" Mint version ... I prefer the bullion PL version.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Like this???

DUH! >>

This is as a result of the APs holding on to these sets. This buyer does not represent all of us as coin collectors. When more of these become available the Law of Supply and Demand will take over then the prices will come down? If not.... when the Numismatic version comes out then lets see how happy this guy who bought this set for $6K will be trying to unload this set if ever he wants to...if not ...oh well on to the next! image >>

Wow, I can't wait to see what a PCGS 69 will go for. I'm not sure if I'd even want the "burnished" Mint version ... I prefer the bullion PL version. >>

I can't wait to see the PCGS MS70 Numismatic version with a 27K overall population.image
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys - I really could care less if I get one of these sets.

There is no way im going to buy these at any more than issue ($860).

My lifestyle is not in any way changed by flipping ONE set at 2500, 3000, or even 5000.

I hope the AP's now know that they will lose thousands of dollars worth of normal bullion purchases off many retail customers because of this debacle.

I dont think it'll be worth it for them in the long run. >>

i agree 100% but the correct phrase is "i could NOT care less"
  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's simple, if you cant have your sales and distribution method ready by the date specified, you dont get any. PERIOD. >>

And when APMEX cut their order to 400 and all other AP's said 'No Thanks', the Mint has 13 working days to get all the remaining pucks sold. How? Legally can't sell them direct to the public, so they are melted and 400 people that had bought from APMEX would be paying off their mortgages.

IMHO, early on the AP's were trying to figure out how to ship these and get their ordering system up and running. Air-Tite has no holders left for these (APMEX probably bought their last 5000 when they were going to sell 1000 sets to the public) so how do you ship a 5 oz silver puck that scratches and dings if you look at it wrong? Takes time. Unfortunately while they were figuring that out, they also figured out they could sell to their distributors and their employees, and the employees of other AP's, their third cousins and on down the line. My guess is more coins would have sold to the public under the original scenario (1000 from APMEX) than will be under the new system. Could be wrong, but the number of sets walking out the front door on Monday will be telling.

<< <i>Ebay is going bonkers on this ATB mess...

This one ended @ $3640.

"YOU WILL GET ALL COINS PICTURED HERE IN THIS SET !!" - sheesh, all the pics are stock photos

"$$ BUY NOW WHILE PRICES ARE STILL LOW $$" - Really? I guess, now that HSN is posting $4999

"!! PRICE MAY CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE !!" - if HSN price goes up, I'll raise my price, too image

madness >>

The best part of that ad "Buy now while the prices are low." LOL!!!!

<< <i>i agree 100% but the correct phrase is "i could NOT care less" >>

thats not how we roll in Jersey.....

i could care less.

<< <i>And when APMEX cut their order to 400 and all other AP's said 'No Thanks', the Mint has 13 working days to get all the remaining pucks sold. How? Legally can't sell them direct to the public, so they are melted and 400 people that had bought from APMEX would be paying off their mortgages. >>

The have a little website online - have you ever visited it?

They could have sold them DIRECT. They were not bound to only selling through AP's. The option was considered. Didnt you see my earlier post?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file