Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

APMEX is selling the 5oz ATB coins right now - $1,395 per 5 coin set - SOLD OUT - MTB SELLING ON eBA

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set belongs to Raufus and the images were taken by Raufus, I am simply placing them in the thread-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine, too image

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to see the vending machine these go into
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I am very impressed with these coins. They are almost as reflective as a proof coin and I think almost all of them should get the Proof Like designation. As far as grades they do have some small scratches but considering the size I don't see any reason they shouldn't grade MS69. As far as the obverse I don't think it looks quite as bad as others have suggested. MS70 coins are going to be almost impossible but I wouldn't be surprised to see some.

APMEX did a great job packing and I was pleased to see there were no fingerprints on any of my coins. They were definitely handled with care.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks VERY much for posting my pics Tom!

FANTASTIC pics Brian.

I meant to add, there is a lot of dust and some scratches on the capsules. As mentioned, there is some dust on my Yellowstone.

There are no fingerprints, but a small smudge on the Yellowstone that, hopefully, will come right off when at the TPG.

MOST impressed with APMEX's packaging.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    Raufus,

My capsules had some scratches as well. Also, they are a little large for these coins. I consider them better for secure shipping than long term storage. These coins should grade pretty well and will be enjoyed much more in a TPG holder than the capsules they come in.
  • Options
    the obv. might kill this for me.....
    other wise got my set today. all look great except for 2 small nicks on my hot springs, and what looks like a smudge on yellowstone.
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I think Raufus' hot springs pic looks awesome! But then, I'm from Hot Springs image
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Very nice! I wish I could have got a set. Maybe I will be able to get a set when the mint releases them.
  • Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    Many thanks indeed to both of you for sharing the pics and for the superb photography. Despite the fine imaging, in my opinion it's a great pity that the congressional mandate, as acquiesced in by the mint, resulted in such poor designs. They were just barely okay for ordinary quarter size. With these much enlarged versions, they squandered the opportunity to make really dazzling versions with delicate detail of interesting scenes. It's a sad reality that these are inferior in visual impact to many of the privately-produced ordinary generic silver rounds and bars. In contrast, I think American silver eagles are fabulous in appearance.
  • Options
    I do think that the Hot Springs, in particular, is very nice looking.

The P versions should be nicer looking as these are of course intended to be business, bullion strikes.

That said, I must agree with Botinast. I collect some (gasp!!) Canadian Moderns. One of the most stunning that I've acquired recently is the 5 oz Historical Banknote silver proof.

http://www.govmint.com/item/Canada-2010-5-oz-Silver-Historical-Bank-Notes-Pr/1804439/52

It's just magnificent. A true numismatic work of art. Hopefully the USM will do such a coin someday. If fact, a series of large silver proofs based on the beautiful 1896 Educational Series notes could be amazing.
  • Options
    gyromacgyromac Posts: 213 ✭✭
    have to hand it to APMEX...

great packaging....all coins had obviously custom plastic holders....and the quality was better than expected!!!!

2nd day air to boot....Dec 24th delivery!!!

these things are cool!!!!

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I do think that the Hot Springs, in particular, is very nice looking.
    The P versions should be nicer looking as these are of course intended to be business, bullion strikes.
    That said, I must agree with Botinast. I collect some (gasp!!) Canadian Moderns. One of the most stunning that I've acquired recently is the 5 oz Historical Banknote silver proof.
    http://www.govmint.com/item/Canada-2010-5-oz-Silver-Historical-Bank-Notes-Pr/1804439/52
    It's just magnificent. A true numismatic work of art. Hopefully the USM will do such a coin someday. If fact, a series of large silver proofs based on the beautiful 1896 Educational Series notes could be amazing.[/q

Thanks, the reverse of the Canadian coin just exemplifies what they might have done with the obverse of the ATBs, if they used one of the truly magnificent scenes of Washington borrowed from paintings, such as crossing the Delaware, steadfast at Valley Forge, accepting the surrender of Cornwallis, or at his Inauguration. Instead of the unflattering enlarged bare bones bust. But if I were to criticize the Canadian coin, it would be that its obverse also detracts, showing a bland unpleasant portrait of the Queen, whose public position is merely an anomalous survival of feudalism.
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    Another in hand, ready to ship ebay listing, start @ $1799, BIN @ $2345.67 (nice sequential number there for the BIN image )

another one

Any of you guys with X-mas presents going to list? image C'mon go for it!

Oh and now there's this one too, BIN @ $3000 -

3000 BIN
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I do think that the Hot Springs, in particular, is very nice looking.
    It's just magnificent. A true numismatic work of art. Hopefully the USM will do such a coin someday. If fact, a series of large silver proofs based on the beautiful 1896 Educational Series notes could be amazing. >>

Thanks, the reverse of the Canadian coin just exemplifies what they might have done with the obverse of the ATBs, if they used one of the truly magnificent scenes of Washington borrowed from paintings, such as crossing the Delaware, steadfast at Valley Forge, accepting the surrender of Cornwallis, or at his Inauguration. Instead of the unflattering enlarged bare bones bust. But if I were to criticize the Canadian coin, it would be that its obverse also detracts, showing a bland unpleasant portrait of the Queen, whose public position is merely an anomalous survival of feudalism. >>

Don't the commonwealths, by law, have to carry the royalty in power on the reverse?

I like that 5 oz. Canadian puck but $500 is pretty steep. What did they sell for originally?
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    I agree regarding the obverse. The aussies, canadians & most others do the same. When they arrive, they're always packaged w/her magisty's face down. The Royal Mint packaging coins w/ the queen's bust down!! If only the royals knew.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    I like that 5 oz. Canadian puck but $500 is pretty steep. What did they sell for originally?

$389 CAD from the Canadian mint...
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like that 5 oz. Canadian puck but $500 is pretty steep. What did they sell for originally?

$389 CAD from the Canadian mint... >>

I suspect that the Mint's version of the pucks will have a similar price tag...$400 per puck...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like that 5 oz. Canadian puck but $500 is pretty steep. What did they sell for originally?

$389 CAD from the Canadian mint... >>

I suspect that the Mint's version of the pucks will have a similar price tag...$400 per puck... >>

I paid about $350 USD for mine.

Note that the mintage is only 2000!!

Canadian commems. are usually much, much higher relative to spot than are US. The mintages are usually much lower so they have to recoup the costs.

I predict that the P pucks will be about $260/each (and I've been very lucky w/my predictions regarding the pucks to date :-) This assumes approx. current spot silver.
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    My set just arrived from Apmex...the coins are in great condition...and glad they were shipped in at least some type of a holder. I think all of them would grade a minimum of MS-68, probably all 69's though.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    the Canadian Mint also made it in 5 ounce gold. Mintage of 200

Canadian Mint
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    I received mine about a half hour ago. Overall, they're impressive even though some of the designs are lacking. How often do you get to look at a 3'' quarter-dollar?
    I'd post but they aren't different than the rest posted here.

The edges are kind of strange. No reeding....and the lettering seems kind of off center. I have no doubt these were hard to make.

Definitely no 70s. MS-68 to 69 for mine. A few scuffs, etc.

A nice mirror finish. If I didn't know the history with these, I would have never suspected this to be a bullion coin.
  • Options

<< <i>the Canadian Mint also made it in 5 ounce gold. Mintage of 200

Canadian Mint >>

They've done some absolutely magnificent 5 oz golds. Too much for me....

One has to reset their mintage thinking w/Canadian coins....I have several of the lowest mintage modern Canadian Gold commem - sub. 300. Not worth much over spot. If it were a U.S. gold - well just imagine!

On the other hand, some of the Canadian and some Perth Mint issues are great looking and have been mega-awsome flips. Just google or Ebay "Deadly and Dangerous, Red Back Spider" - I got some for $50.

Sorry, way off topic, I'll stop. Back to Puck Mania....
  • Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Got mine, they are awesome.

One thing I'd like to see it the .999 silver on the obverse or reverse instead of the edge.

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image
    image >>

I didn't see the entire sales pitch.
    Does anyone know how many sets of each option Coin Vault was selling?

I just logged on to their website - Didn't see any sets for sale for either option.
    Did they sellout for both options?
    Does anyone know the results of their sale?
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the results, and they didn't say on air.

These were only available by phone, no net.

They said they had 150 of each of the two. That'd be 300 total.

Call em up and see how many are left.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Mine came as well, what I find strange is these are the bullion coins and I can't see how the collector versions will be any more proof than these are. The Washington obverse is entirely proof and much of the reverse is.

Overall they are very impressive, well worth the price from APMEX who did a wonderful job in packaging these. My favorite is Yosemite and next is the Grand canyon, of mine I think 4 could make 69 but the hot springs is scratched up to maybe a 68 or 67.

Sales next year should do very well based on how these look so I am guessing prices move higher [not a big stretch]. If that canadian coin is going for $500 [much lower mintage] then these maybe $400 or even more. Any 70's by PCGS would go very high, I expect to see NGC 70's.

Not sure about the slab sizes though, the NGC would be too big for me so hopefully PCGS does one just narrow enough for the coin.
  • Options

<< <i>Mine came as well, what I find strange is these are the bullion coins and I can't see how the collector versions will be any more proof than these are. The Washington obverse is entirely proof and much of the reverse is. >>

They will probably be less proof looking 'cuz they are going to get blasted with ceramic dust to create a different finish.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to svmagiccarpet and aficionado-1! They are the first 2 forumites to have multiple sets on ebay before the Authorized Purchasers even start selling them to "the Public".

This is exactly why the Mint needs to get involved again.

I'd really like an explanation as to why this makes someone a whiner when these guys can pull a stunt like this, all the while calling someone else a whiner, because they didn't like being gouged in the first place. Amazing stuff.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Here's a feller pre-selling the "numismatic" version yet using the "bullion" version's advertising. image
    link-a-doodle-doo image
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

• Options

<< <i>Congrats to svmagiccarpet and aficionado-1! They are the first 2 forumites to have multiple sets on ebay before the Authorized Purchasers even start selling them to "the Public".

I'd really like an explanation as to why this makes someone a whiner when these guys can pull a stunt like this, all the while calling someone else a whiner, because they didn't like being gouged in the first place. Amazing stuff. >>

Sure is, let it go.
  • Options
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Congrats to svmagiccarpet and aficionado-1! They are the first 2 forumites to have multiple sets on ebay before the Authorized Purchasers even start selling them to "the Public".

I'd really like an explanation as to why this makes someone a whiner when these guys can pull a stunt like this, all the while calling someone else a whiner, because they didn't like being gouged in the first place. Amazing stuff. >>

Excuse Me.

FYI, APMEX HAS sold these to the public, where the heck have you been.

What STUNT am I pulling?

Who did I call a WHINER? Please provide any quotes of mine you find offensive.

I'd like to think I have a solid reputation both on this board and on ebay.

Please apologize or clarify, I'm not taking to kindly to your direct attack. >>

Buy and sell as many as you like. Not one person complaining would turn down a set to own or flip. Has anyone sold something for more then they paid? Slupply and demand my friend.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    It is frustrating when the "spirit" of the new rules imposed on the AP's by the Mint are not really being adhered to, which I think is what jmski52 is saying. What others were saying is that it was bound to happen when the price was set at 859.00 by the Mint when the market said, based on supply and demand, that they were worth 2000.00. Now there is no downside for "investors" (only 20.00/coin) and too much upside. This makes it harder for every collector to get one, harder than if the price was just left at 1395.-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    I imagine in their "talks" between the mint and AP's...the mint said "we'll make these guidelines...the public will be happy to see that the mint will be 'monitoring' them and require access to records' but the mint is very busy...wink wink"
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Not so Big Daddyz

The USM is concerned that this type of back room dealing does not happen -

Many on here agreed, once secondaries get the coins, whether they are general public or dealers, whatever they make - good for them....

But the back room dealing - AP's telling the public that they cant make them available for various reasons, hiding behind their so-called inability to take retail orders, etc, is all WRONG.

I noticed that the guys on the board teling everyone to "remain calm" , "give them a chance" are all cozying up to their set delivered to them a few days ago.

I personally will get one set from an AP within the next week. But that doesnt make what they are doing totally WRONG. This is the kind of sleazy dealing that puts a bad name on the business.

And for some reason if I dont get a set - the numismatic version will be much more demanded than this issue - and be much nicer quality, packaged and rarer. I will be on that at 12noon the day they are released.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    So some people are getting the sets from Apmex, did the price changed?
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>So some people are getting the sets from Apmex, did the price changed? >>

Apmex shipped the first 1,000 preorders and lowered their price to $850something.

What happened to the other 2,000? And why are the other APs sitting on theirs? That is the question. The speculation is lots of shady backroom dealing.

• Options

<< <i>

Apmex shipped the first 1,000 preorders and lowered their price to $850something.

What happened to the other 2,000? And why are the other APs sitting on theirs? That is the question. The speculation is lots of shady backroom dealing. >>

Actually the number sent was reported to be in the 350-400 set range because of multiple set orders by those 350-400.

So there are probably 2500 sets from the INITIAL order left at APMEX and they most certainly got a bump up of another 1000 or so sets with final order.

No answer why they have not been put up for sale.....
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    i think the others will get away with whatever they do.

BTW with the excellent packaging APMEX did I could see a delay before shipping these as they needed the capsules, the bubble ziplocks, the boxes and labels, and then assembly.

Most impressive proof finish for bullion coins, I was almost blinded by these. Any major scratches show easily though, also the Grand canyon has some big rocks on that piece. Yellowstone looks great too.

The thing is the others could take orders now and ship later, at least take the orders. The mint won't do anything is my guess, they did not put in time limits, or they had to go on sale for all the public.

It will be interesting to see how the collector version differs from these, they may or may not look better, we will see.
  • Options
    LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    ok, thanks, I guess at least a few early birds got a deal.

<< <i>

What happened to the other 2,000? And why are the other APs sitting on theirs? That is the question. The speculation is lots of shady backroom dealing. >>

Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

• Options

<< <i>I don't know the results, and they didn't say on air.

These were only available by phone, no net.

They said they had 150 of each of the two. That'd be 300 total.

Call em up and see how many are left. >>

Any idea on how many employees the Coin Vault has?
  • Options
    I believe APMEX will put up the next 2500+ for sale to ALERT customers.....

from my last conversation with the head of their customer service, they were clearing all of the original orders first, then deciding how to attack the backlog of ALERT's

she said they may just alert by email in order of which the ALERT was placed, instead of opening up ordering for whoever gets there first.....

but no confirmation of any of that yet.
  • Options
    as for the quality of the collector (to be seen) vs bullion -

collector version will blow away the bullion version.....they always do.

no special handling with bullion, at all.

• Options
    Though these strikes are better than I expected, nobody here that's responded thinks they have a 70. I'd certainly suspect some from the numismatic issues.

• Options
    Who did I call a WHINER? Please provide any quotes of mine you find offensive.

aficionado, my mistake - I can't find anywhere that you called someone a whiner.

FYI, APMEX HAS sold these to the public, where the heck have you been.

What STUNT am I pulling?

The fact is that Apmex isn't selling these to the public, only a select few. That's against the Mint's distribution rules.

What stunt are you pulling? Well - with a HH limit of one, it's a pretty impressive stunt to have 2 sets on ebay before any of the APs are offering them for sale!!

Where did you get yours, by the way?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The fact is that Apmex isn't selling these to the public, only a select few. That's against the Mint's distribution rules >>

Uh... just call me & 350 others "select few" & not the public. What a bunch of crock. APMEX will eventually sell their allocation, but not at your speed or conditions.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    What a bunch of crock.

Duplicates, in fact. Merry Christmas, OPA. Enjoy your coins.

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file