Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovin the 3 game lead going into the break!

Hopefully the rest will do the guys good-especially Pedroia, you know he has his Wife on his mind as he should, hopefully she will be OK and Lil' Pedey can get back to playing stress free.

And yes I will still take this years pen over "BB+Basehit everytime Timlin"
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I was glad to see that Bay didn't fall for the season ending trap known as the "Home Run Derby" hopefully he just rolls through the break with the same production that he had going in.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys - don't mean to spam the thread, but I've got four tix for next Friday night's game against Baltimore that I can't use. They are standing room on the 1st base pavillion, and they are priced at my cost. LMK if you are interested.

I too am pleased that Bay skipped the derby - I only wish I had skipped it too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The HR derby IMO is old and tired, nothing like it once was years ago. I watched not the first minute of the show. Wisely, as stated earlier, Bay opted not to bat.

I wonder how McGuire feels with not a wimper of his name mentioned in tonight's opening show, or durng the chatter from the booth. Perhaps he realizes his "HOFer failure light is lit". How quickly things changed for him in St. Louis!!

Well, we're 3 up, a nice place to be at the break.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madden did not put Wake in the AS game! imageimage

He should have gone in instead of Bueherle.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Madden did not put Wake in the AS game! imageimage

He should have gone in instead of Bueherle. >>

I had no problem with the way Maddon managed. I figured that Wakefield was his extra-innings-guy anyway. Who other than Wakefield could have gone ten innings if it were needed?
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Yeah you're right but I am still disappointed Wake didn't get in there. Oh well at least he got to soak up the experience.
  • Options
    ding dong the witch is dead!

Julio Luso has been designated for assignment.

• Options
    Henry should sentence Theo to wearing a Lugo jersey for the rest of the season as penance.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Bye Luso!!
  • Options

<< <i>image

Bye Luso!! >>

BYE BYE

• Options
    Finally the boys are back!! Oritz just misses a 3 run bomb by an inch or two.
  • Options
    Nice outing by Buchholz, and a drama free save for Paps. Good way to start the 2nd half!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    I am not surprised Lugo got released.
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Lugo...when you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are....adios Lugo. Waaaaaay overpaid at more than $57k. Could be more action before July 31st, Saito would be my guess, but who knows. I think the Sox have to eat a huge chunk of change on Lugo, but, better to cut the cord.

A good win last night, glad to see Bucholz back on the mound. Kaat was interesting, but so far I think I like Disco Denny the best.

Well, it is Saturday, we'll see if the game is blacked out for me, I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    No 1:00 games on the MLB Ticket...oh well I guess I will listen to it on the radio.
  • Options
    Kind of a bummer to see two good guys, Millar and Ortiz, as today's DH's - hitting .225 and .239. Sort of defeats the purpose.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>Kind of a bummer to see two good guys, Millar and Ortiz, as today's DH's - hitting .225 and .239. Sort of defeats the purpose. >>

I think Zambrano is hitting .238
  • Options
    I guess once again I am glad the game wasn't on! image
  • Options
    Wait a minute Lugo, methinks Saito (aka Binto Box Boy), or Mr. Penny (I have a HUGE ERA), may be joining you.

Yup, for once I'm glad it wasn't televised, but, Lester today, so hopefully things improve.

Anyone got any thoughts on who may be toast before July 31st?
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone got any thoughts on who may be toast before July 31st? >>

Penny or Smoltz might as well flip a coin as to which...
  • Options
    Out for a few days, and get the good news that Luso is gone! I wish him the best, yes he was awful and a huge waste of money but he DID try.

Great to be back although not liking these Jays image
  • Options
    wife, daughter and I arrived Sunday afternoon in Arlington, TX for the Mon and Tue Sox-Rangers games. On a whim, I checked ticket prices online for the Sunday night game and we walked up to the ticket office and bought tix for all of us for $17 total for the Twins-Rangers game. Beautiful ballpark, friendly staff, and my daughter got a certificate for her first ever baseball game (signed by Nolan Ryan). It was nice to walk to the park and then back to the hotel (seven or eight minutes away). The fireworks for the home runs were cool, so said my four year old girl. Ian Kinsler is quite good, why he wasn't on the AS team is beyond me. If he was playing in Boston or NY, everyone would know about him.

We'll be in RF for the game tonight and tomorrow!
  • Options
    I hope you and the family have a great time and see some Sox victories. Don't forget to take some pics!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I just read that Francona has put Ellsbury back in the leadoff spot. The Globe has an interesting blog on the subject. Blog

Basically, this is what's going on:
    The Red Sox are 27th in leadoff OBP.

Jacoby Ellsbury
    As a leadoff hitter: .320
    As a non-leadoff hitter: .388

J.D. Drew
    As a leadoff hitter: .299
    As a non-leadoff hitter: .381

Dustin Pedroia
    As a leadoff hitter: .264
    As a non-leadoff hitter: .425

So, if the concern is getting a higher OBP AND seeing lots of pitches so the rest of the team can gauge how the pitcher is that night, why not do something a little unconventional and put Youkilis in the leadoff spot? I can't think of anybody on the team that is more patient or that sees more pitches than him. Sure, you lose him from the #3 spot but you could either move Big Papi back there or move Jason Bay up.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    I like Ellsbury in the lead off spot. I love Pedroia in the second spot. I think the third spot was made for Youkalis.
    I don't think Drew is a lead off hitter and didn't really like him there.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Rickey wants to lead off.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Hey Francoma!!! Wake up and get Smoltz out of there!
  • Options
    OMFG!!!!!! Why did they leave him in there that long?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    Hold on Lugo, Smoltz will need a ride to join Timlin on the golf course.

The wheels are falling off guys, time to hang on, Yankees on a roll.

Where are the bats? And I don't really care who bats first, second or last, let's just win some games. For what Drew is getting paid, he ain't holdin up his end of the bargain very well.
  • Options
    Eh, I wouldnt say the wheels are falling off just yet- sure we are tied with the Spankees but we got alot of baseball to go. Like I said earlier on this season reminds me alot of 2007 which = a lot of S T R E S S!!!!!!

I hear the Pets are interested in Luso? image
  • Options
    great ballpark, nice staff, good fans, kudos to the Rangers organization. Sox bats slumping terribly, Schmaltz at the wheel too long while Francoma sleeps. Yuck. Theo is likely trying to figure out how he can shake things up to get the team back to its winning ways.
  • Options
    Hopefully Beckett can right the ship!
  • Options
    Oh no, time to panic image

• Options
    Not time to panic yet, but it would be nice to see the bats wake up
  • Options
    Interesting move to pick up Laroche. I wonder what sort of playing time they have in mind for him. Our offense could definitely use a spark - but I'm not yet convinced that this move is the right fit.

What I'd really like to see is the Red Sox turn around and send Laroche (and several others) to San Diego for Adrian Gonzalez. Maybe that's just a pipe dream, but Gonzalez has the kind of bat the Sox need in order to snap out of their current funk.
  • Options
    no corresponding roster move yet announced to make room for LaRoche. Wonder what's up in Theo's plans?
  • Options
    have we seen the last of Smoltz?
  • Options

<< <i>have we seen the last of Smoltz? >>

Francona appears to think that Smoltz is still in spring training mode. If he doesn't heat up by the middle of August,
    then we may see Buchholz take his spot. The problem is that Buchholz may have filled his IP quota by then..
  • Options
    Luso is now a member of the St. Louis Cardinals organization
  • Options
    We need to get our bats hot! This is painful watching these Yanks tear it up lately image
  • Options
    Love to see Gonzalez in a Sox uni, I just hope they make some move to get a bat. I think the pitching will be fine..
  • Options
    I agree on Gonzalez...that would be sweet.
  • Options
    This stinks they are down 3-1 right now and the Yankees already won! They waited way too long to try an
    add a bat. Sorry but Papi needs to be hitting better then 224 in the 4th hole and the DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drew and
    Bay need to wake up too!!
    Collector Focus

• Options
    I feel like the Red Sox went through a similar funk a few years ago and I remember writing almost this vey same thing about Big Papi but now I'm going to write it about Jason Bay. It's great to get walks, but if no one behind you is going to hit, you (Bay) need to start trying to hit the ball hard and see if you can make something happen.

I don't see the team staying this bad forever, but these slumps are always concerning to me and they remind me that no team is invincible.

One other thing - teams are stealing against the Sox pitchers and Varitek at will. It's gotten to the point where it is embarassing.
  • Options
    If I had a dollar for every time I saw Bucholz put that medal back under his shirt, I'd have a helluva lot of dollars!! What a distraction...couple that with having to listen to the painful announcing of Roberts, toss in a lackluster team performance and it wasn't a fun night. Somebody PLEASE tell Roberts to stop saying "right there". He's trying to be Mr. Cool analyst and is failing miserably. Let me also toss in how I hate to see Drew take that called strike 3!! Geez, he's gotta do better than that for what he's paid.

Red Sox in a deep funk and yes, I think the wheels have come off. In about a week they've gone from 3 up to 2 down...ain't good.

5 in a row so far...hopefully going back to Fenway and facing the O's will turn this around.
  • Options
    We are stinking up the joint right now and as frustrating as it is right now I think it will get better (remember how we started off the season?). 2004 ALCS was rough in the beginning and we all saw what happened.
    I think I am glad I am leaving for the National on Saturday. I need to get away from the tv for awhile!
  • Options
    Jason Bay's price is now going down. Holliday's is not.

All the steals lately have been on the pitchers, not Varitek. When someone is halfway down the line before the pitcher releases the ball, no catcher has a chance.

Even if Beckett and Lester are at their respective peaks and the Sox were to add Halliday, they'd still nearly never win when they score one or two runs tops.

Theo is wondering what he needs to do, I'll bet.