Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that Bay is NOT participating in the HR derby this year, the All-Star game is enough.

I would love to see him crank out 40 bombs this year!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love that Bay is NOT participating in the HR derby this year, the All-Star game is enough.

I would love to see him crank out 40 bombs this year! >>

After the Bobby Abreau saga, a lot of sluggers are probably running like hell from the HR derby.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I love that Bay is NOT participating in the HR derby this year, the All-Star game is enough.

I would love to see him crank out 40 bombs this year! >>

After the Bobby Abreau saga, a lot of sluggers are probably running like hell from the HR derby. >>

GOOD! He's got nothing he needs to prove.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just got tickets for 20 and 21 July Red Sox @ Texas Rangers. Wife, 4 year old daughter and I will be in the all you can eat home run porch in RF. If the little one wasn't with us, we would have been in "serious" seats. Should be fun. Just got to line up a hotel now. Wish they had one across the street from the park.
  • Options
    That sounds like a blast. 2 more days until we go up to Turner Field!! I am ready to take a break!
  • Options
    found a Marriott hotel 1/2 mile away -- walking distance to and from the game! Going to be fun.

I was surprised by Papelbon tonight, didn't walk anyone, didn't give up a hit, didn't load the bases. Odd.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I was surprised by Papelbon tonight, didn't walk anyone, didn't give up a hit, didn't load the bases. Odd. >>

He must have felt like slacking off tonight!
  • Options
    Buchholz must have gotten excited watching Smoltz in the first inning.
  • Options

<< <i>Buchholz must have gotten excited watching Smoltz in the first inning. >>

I thought the same thing image
  • Options
    can't stand seeing that michael jackson crap at the top, so image
  • Options
    Im willing to give Smoltz another shot, but like I said before I have low expectations.
  • Options

<< <i>Im willing to give Smoltz another shot, but like I said before I have low expectations. >>

I would too. He was effective after the first inning. I guess they will have to wait until the rosters expand to give Suchholz a shot. Or they could relase Luso. image
  • Options
    good game by Beckett. I still don't like Papelbon, despite his "success"
  • Options

<< <i>good game by Beckett. I still don't like Papelbon, despite his "success" >>

Not to worry, Daniel Bard will start closing in 2011 after Pap gets that big contract with the Angels or Dodgers.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>good game by Beckett. I still don't like Papelbon, despite his "success" >>

Not to worry, Daniel Bard will start closing in 2011 after Pap gets that big contract with the Angels or Dodgers. >>

I hope Papelbon goes to the Yankees so that the Sox can face him up to 19 times a year.

I do think Bard needs to get back to AAA so he can get his closer mentality back. Going in to mop up and just throw heat down the middle (like Papelbon does) is not going to help him
  • Options
    Wakefield has never been on an All-Star team.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, this year

• Options
    John Henry just tied the knot. It didn't surprise me that his bride is 30 years old...I was surprised to read that Henry is only 59. I had him pegged for at least seven years older than that.
  • Options

<< <i>John Henry just tied the knot. It didn't surprise me that his bride is 30 years old...I was surprised to read that Henry is only 59. I had him pegged for at least seven years older than that. >>

I dont know what is more laughable, the signing of Luso or him thinking she is into him solely because of his charm & good looks image
  • Options
    BTW, what great game against the Braves. Wakefield allowing 1 BB & just 3 hits image

We could use some more offense today though!
  • Options
    Eh,I guess I will take 1 win in two games with only 2 total runs scored.
  • Options

<< <i>Eh,I guess I will take 1 win in two games with only 2 total runs scored. >>

I'm disappointed, but it was a well-pitched game
  • Options
    We we're at Friday and Saturday's games. Boy it was hot in the ATL, but not that much different from Florida. Talk about a well pitched series by both teams.
    I got to meet Al (MCMLVTopps) and his wife on Friday. What a great guy. Thanks to him pointing us in the right direction on tickets we had great seats for Friday and actually sat in the shade yesterday. Turner Field was incredible and just about everyone in Atlanta was very friendly. Sox Nation certainly was alive and well. I will post some pictures when I get a chance!

Bob...
  • Options

<< <i>We we're at Friday and Saturday's games. Boy it was hot in the ATL, but not that much different from Florida. Talk about a well pitched series by both teams.
    I got to meet Al (MCMLVTopps) and his wife on Friday. What a great guy. Thanks to him pointing us in the right direction on tickets we had great seats for Friday and actually sat in the shade yesterday. Turner Field was incredible and just about everyone in Atlanta was very friendly. Sox Nation certainly was alive and well. I will post some pictures when I get a chance!

Bob... >>

NICE! Thats cool you met a fellow CU Sox fan, Ive talked with Al via PM several times myself and he does seem like a great guy in fact he knows the area I live in as well.

Looking forward to pictures!!!
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    What's with Papelbon saying he'd like to close for the Yankees someday? Are you kidding me? First you let your damn dog eat a historic ball, now you run your mouth about crossing over to the dark side? Sounds like it's time to dip into the farm and cut loose some stray ends...
  • Options

<< <i>What's with Papelbon saying he'd like to close for the Yankees someday? Are you kidding me? First you let your damn dog eat a historic ball, now you run your mouth about crossing over to the dark side? Sounds like it's time to dip into the farm and cut loose some stray ends... >>

He is a complete weirdo first off, just looking at him doing his crazy celebrations from time to time and other quirky things he does.

He is our closer though and as long as he secures W's I will like him, however I do NOT approve of assinine statements like that.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I think Pap needs to atone for his sins.
  • Options

<< <i>What's with Papelbon saying he'd like to close for the Yankees someday? Are you kidding me? First you let your damn dog eat a historic ball, now you run your mouth about crossing over to the dark side? Sounds like it's time to dip into the farm and cut loose some stray ends... >>

Damon said he'd never play for the Yankees, and the fans loved him when he said that.
  • Options

<< <i>I think Pap needs to atone for his sins. >>

I think he needs meds.
  • Options
    Closers are...different, and Paps certainly fits the bill.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to meet Bob (Bottom 9th), his buddy and their sons Friday night at the Ted. Great guy, we had some good laughs and talked Red Sox Nation stuff. Our seats were pretty close and thankfully out of the brutal sun. We also went to the Saturday game...he had the better seats in the shade while I broiled 19 rows up behind the Braves dugout. Tons of Red Sox fans doing "let's go Red Sox", which easily drowned out the smattering of wimpy boos by the hapless Braves fans. We tossed down a beer after the 4th inning Saturday and I went back to cook some more....like 95+

The foam tomahawks were all around me and only came out when the Braves had a base runner or got a hit. They look almost as silly as the monkey thing in LAA. I must admit, the scenery was wonderful, the southern ladies know how to strut their stuff!!! One hottie not far from me wore a BLACK dress and wore high heels. However, the combination with her blonde hair was extremely pleasing to admire. Sox took both games and should have swept with a win yesterday.

Hopeuflly we pound the Orioles.
  • Options

<< <i>Got to meet Bob (Bottom 9th), his buddy and their sons Friday night at the Ted. Great guy, we had some good laughs and talked Red Sox Nation stuff. Our seats were pretty close and thankfully out of the brutal sun. We also went to the Saturday game...he had the better seats in the shade while I broiled 19 rows up behind the Braves dugout. Tons of Red Sox fans doing "let's go Red Sox", which easily drowned out the smattering of wimpy boos by the hapless Braves fans. We tossed down a beer after the 4th inning Saturday and I went back to cook some more....like 95+

The foam tomahawks were all around me and only came out when the Braves had a base runner or got a hit. They look almost as silly as the monkey thing in LAA. I must admit, the scenery was wonderful, the southern ladies know how to strut their stuff!!! One hottie not far from me wore a BLACK dress and wore high heels. However, the combination with her blonde hair was extremely pleasing to admire. Sox took both games and should have swept with a win yesterday.

Hopeuflly we pound the Orioles. >>

• Options
    Agreed! Bob, Al - we would LOVE to see some pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    no pics = it didn't happen image
  • Options
    July brings talk of the trade deadline...so I am wondering what it is, if anything, the Sox would try to do to ADD a player before the deadline. I know they would love to unload Luso, but really, what needs do they have? Assuming Mike Lowell is not lost for the season, I can envision them doing nothing to add a player. Anyone see it differently?
  • Options

<< <i>July brings talk of the trade deadline...so I am wondering what it is, if anything, the Sox would try to do to ADD a player before the deadline. I know they would love to unload Luso, but really, what needs do they have? Assuming Mike Lowell is not lost for the season, I can envision them doing nothing to add a player. Anyone see it differently? >>

I agree with you that the Sox will stay put, but I would love to see them trade Lugo, Buchholz +1 for
    Hanley Ramirez.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry guys no pics from me, didn't take any.

Bob, the whole world is waiting.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>July brings talk of the trade deadline...so I am wondering what it is, if anything, the Sox would try to do to ADD a player before the deadline. I know they would love to unload Luso, but really, what needs do they have? Assuming Mike Lowell is not lost for the season, I can envision them doing nothing to add a player. Anyone see it differently? >>

I agree with you that the Sox will stay put, but I would love to see them trade Lugo, Buchholz +1 for
    Hanley Ramirez. >>

I think Buchholz is untouchable. He's in the starting rotation next year. Bowden could go...but the Marlins aren't going to get rid of Ramirez. The six hundred fans that show up to watch the Marlins play would really be ticked. If the opportunity to get Ramirez arose, the Sox would likely jump at it, but I don't think the opportunity will present itself. I think the Sox are satisfied with Green and the prospect of Lowrie joining the team later this summer.
  • Options
  • Options
    Okay gentleman, sorry for the delay.

Sox in Atlanta

Enjoy!

Bob...
  • Options
    Nice Bob!

Love the Hotties!!!! image
  • Options
    Thanks for the cool pics, looks like you had a blast!
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Good game tonight for the most part. Lester looked okay, but too many first pitch balls. A better hitting ballclub would have punished him for sure.

I really liked the outfield defense tonight though, especially the plays in the 7th inning by Ellsbury and Drew when it looked like Lester was starting to get hit hard and of course that last catch that Bay made. Hopefully a great catch like that to end the game will do something to snap him out of his lousy hitting of late.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bailey back up to the MLB club...hmmm.
  • Options
    No suprise here, you dont drain a bunch of fluid from a 30+ year old 3rd baseman without a stint on the DL.
  • Options
    Well Smoltz pitched MUCH better today. Too bad the rain kept him from having a chance at the W.
  • Options

<< <i>Well Smoltz pitched MUCH better today. Too bad the rain kept him from having a chance at the W. >>

that, and the $&%^# bullpen. That sucked the large one
  • Options
    That was truly pathetic!