Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

1272829303133»

Comments

• Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    double post
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty pathetic showing by the Red Sox...one run in 18 innings is not gonna cut it.

Time to pack it up guys, it would take a miraculous turn around to save this season. I don't think the team you will see tomorrow will be the same team we'll see in April.

I have seen some of the worst umpiring in my life, especially the deep fly ball to left field in the Yankees game that Cabrerra missed and clearly fell fair...yet was called foul. The next guy gets a hit...couldh've been a game changer.

The Fat Lady is definitely approaching the microphone, sad to say.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Perk Dog I dont think there is a comeback this year.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    no worries, they are about to win 11 straight
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry Perk Dog I dont think there is a comeback this year. >>

More than likely you are correct, however the Sox are famous for digging themselves a hole and making it very difficult for Sox fans to keep the faith and before you know it they are in a clinching game.

Either way Im not holding my breath, the Angels are really playing well and deserve the series at this point. Maybe we can but it sure dont look good!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Last time I checked the Germans had NADA to do with Pearl Harbor...however, the Japanese had a helluva lot to do with Pearl Harbor.

Wanna correct your statement?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Mike was being facetious with that statement...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Last time I checked the Germans had NADA to do with Pearl Harbor...however, the Japanese had a helluva lot to do with Pearl Harbor.

Wanna correct your statement? >>

Uhhhhh ..... apparantly somebody has never seen Animal House

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought everyone knew that was an Animal house reference. Guess not. Here ya go MCMLVTopps.

Germans bombed pearl harbor
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we starting to have a generation gap in this Sox thread? image And we need our Yankees fan friends to explain? image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Guess I'll have to add Animal House to my next Netflix order. How could I have missed the comment, I've only seen it about ten times.

Oh well, we added a bit of levity to an otherwise dismal situation.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget the BoSox comeback of 04 from 0-3 to win and then swept the RedTurds in the WS!

Of cource the RedTurds are gone this year (Yeah) you will have to find someone else to kick around!
  • Options
    image Whoa Whoa stand down Al! Mike is one of us! image

For the other rogue Sox Thread posters such as Nick & Dan no worries Al was just protecting our Sox thread he is our pitbull designated to strike at a moments notice image Its all good though he gets it now image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Strange game time today, coulda sworn it was 12:07...
  • Options
    well RUNS are a good start
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    I have just about had enough of Ortiz! He can't hit and really has brought nothing to the table this year and
    he can't hustle down the line? 3 or 4 months ago I was giving him a free pass but his lack of hustle is
    really getting old. Either hustle or sit end of story .
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do look forward to the day when Papelblown is not on this team
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I know many Yankee fans are rooting for you guys to knock the Angels out. Good luck in this bottom half of the 9th fellas.
  • Options
    I can say we deserved to lose. This series and the end of the season was painful to watch and I , for one, am glad it is over. See ya next year
  • Options
    wow. nice pitching PapSmear!
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    And Fox Sports cries foul. Well, I'm sure they're thinking we still have the Yankees. But heaven forbid, an Angels v. Twins ALCS!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    i doubt the twins will make that nightmare come true lol
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    ouch
  • Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

This thread like the Red Sox is dead.

Goodnight now.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Good luck to the Angels!
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good luck to the Angels! >>

Thanks! We need the nations support against the Yankers!
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    not feeling quite as bad about my Tigers now..... BUT, no matter how bad ANYONE chokes from here on out in the future of sports, nobody will be as big a letdown as those declawed, hairball choking pissycats.....
  • Options
    WOW, WOW!! It was great to see all of those cheering fans ready to celebrate one moment, then ready to cry the next. It is like we kicked them in the nuts. Papelbon is so slow, it is painful to watch him pitch. Is Ortiz ready to retire yet? Can this guy get any fatter? Frankie Rodriguez WHO???? We will kill the Stankees like we did all year. Angels and the Dodgers will be a great series for us on the west coast. Walking Torri was a brilliant move guys??? BIG DADDY VLADDY!! This guy is a sure shot HOF!! Bobby Abreu, not bad for $5 mil a year, quite a bargain when you look at what the Red Sux pay some of their hitters!! Celebrate that Beantown. HA HA!!!
  • Options
    Well it is what it is, we were just not that good- or at least as good as our opponents. Eh Im rooting for the Dodgers now, or anyone but the freaking Yankees.
  • Options
    Well that sux, I guess I will now root for the Rockies. Todd Helton is a local boy.........
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    To all Red Sox posters. Thanks for being great fans! Its always fun to post when the halos and Sox are playing for a shot at the WS. Red Sox fans are some of the best and I always like to go watch the halos play the Red sox out here in Anaheim. Hats off and we'll be watching out for you next year.

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOW, WOW!! It was great to see all of those cheering fans ready to celebrate one moment, then ready to cry the next. It is like we kicked them in the nuts. Papelbon is so slow, it is painful to watch him pitch. Is Ortiz ready to retire yet? Can this guy get any fatter? Frankie Rodriguez WHO???? We will kill the Stankees like we did all year. Angels and the Dodgers will be a great series for us on the west coast. Walking Torri was a brilliant move guys??? BIG DADDY VLADDY!! This guy is a sure shot HOF!! Bobby Abreu, not bad for $5 mil a year, quite a bargain when you look at what the Red Sux pay some of their hitters!! Celebrate that Beantown. HA HA!!! >>

Nothing brings out a man's true character more then how they react after their team wins.image

Good luck Angels.
  • Options

<< <i>To all Red Sox posters. Thanks for being great fans! Its always fun to post when the halos and Sox are playing for a shot at the WS. Red Sox fans are some of the best and I always like to go watch the halos play the Red sox out here in Anaheim. Hats off and we'll be watching out for you next year. >>

Thank You Tree, congrats to you guys and I meen it- you guys put together a SOLID squad and deserved a solid outing.

Now Im SERIOUSLY hoping you make it to the World series image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW, WOW!! It was great to see all of those cheering fans ready to celebrate one moment, then ready to cry the next. It is like we kicked them in the nuts. Papelbon is so slow, it is painful to watch him pitch. Is Ortiz ready to retire yet? Can this guy get any fatter? Frankie Rodriguez WHO???? We will kill the Stankees like we did all year. Angels and the Dodgers will be a great series for us on the west coast. Walking Torri was a brilliant move guys??? BIG DADDY VLADDY!! This guy is a sure shot HOF!! Bobby Abreu, not bad for $5 mil a year, quite a bargain when you look at what the Red Sux pay some of their hitters!! Celebrate that Beantown. HA HA!!! >>

Nothing brings out a man's true character more then how they react after their team wins.image

Good luck Angels. >>

image yea where was this guy before?
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Not posting much on this thread is a real treat for times like this!

Baseball is OVER in Boston for 2009!! It's football season now for you guys! image As a Yankees fan, it was nice to see the Bosox go down now although I think Yankees had a better chance against them over of the Angels.

I see a LOT of changes coming for the Red Sox in 2010! It will be an interesting off season for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Not posting much on this thread is a real treat for times like this!

Baseball is OVER in Boston for 2009!! It's football season now for you guys! image As a Yankees fan, it was nice to see the Bosox go down now although I think Yankees had a better chance against them over of the Angels.

I see a LOT of changes coming for the Red Sox in 2010! It will be an interesting off season for you. >>

Whats up Barry? Im sure you are very happy with the way things are going in NY? image You guys got your work cut out for you with Anaheim thats for sure!

You are correct there will or should be alot of changes in the offseason hopefully enough to get us past that hump and back to the WS image
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Hey Paul!

Ask me if Im happy when the season is completely over with. It will certainly depend on if the Yanks are the Champs or not! I'd like to see Yanks finish off the Twins tonight before anything else.
  • Options
    A tough one to suck up, but, it is what it is, time to move on.

Congrats to the Angels! Helluva comeback. I think the Yankers have their work cut out for them. I'll be pulling for the Angels to take the WS.

Enjoy your moment all you Angels fans, you deserved the win in Fenway today, awesome comeback!! See you next year.

GO HALOS
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! Where's the splitter? Where's the slider? When a team can sit on the fastball all inning, it will catch up to you, even if you locate it well. They will just foul them off all day, and wait for the few "mistakes". Pap made me nervous all year, and he ususally escaped, but not this time.

Teams were even catching up to Bard's 100 mph heaters by the end of the season.

Well, I don't think Pap will be demanding "Mariano Money" anytime soon. image
  • Options
    Can't believe we were down to our last strike with nobody on. its like revenge of 86 for us!

• Options

Although I don't think he's a Hall of Famer, I wonder if he is elected will Vlad learn how to speak english by the time he is ready to give his induction speach so he doesn't have to stand on the podium at Cooperstown and speak through an interpreter.image
    At least Bobby Abreu can say beisbol been bery bery good to meimage
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't believe we were down to our last strike with nobody on. its like revenge of 86 for us! >>

Congrats. I predict Abreau will be torturing Yankee pitchers in the ALCS! image
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Well, it always sucks when the season comes to an end, but it really sucked to have at least one victory all but wrapped up only to have it unravel before our very eyes.

I don't know about the rest of you, but the Sox getting swept kind of confirms the suspicion that I had all year long when watching this team - it was a good team, but not a great team. It seemed like for every hot streak there was a cold streak. For every dominating starter, there was a Brad Penny or a John Smoltz.

Theo made some good moves in getting Martinez and Gonzalez, but it still seems like the team needed one more hitter that could rise to the occassion.

It'll definitely be an interesting off season. I'm sure we'll all be closely following the negotiations with Bay as that seems like the first piece of the 2010 puzzle that needs to be figured out.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I said it in a different thread and I will say it again here.

Congrats to the Sox and Sox fans for a great season even though they came up short.

90 plus wins and a PO spot is more then most teams can say.

Again congrats.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Nice post Steve...

It's gonna be interesting to see who stays and who goes. I think Bay has a strong pull towards Seattle and may opt out of any Red Sox offer for that reason, not that far from Tail, BC, his home town. Varitek may utilize his $3m option...I would if I were him, he's declining rapidly and might as well get one more bite of the apple. I think others could be traded, if Theo let Nomar go, there's no tellin' what the future holds for the team. I still think Ortiz, Drew and Lowell may be in the mix somehow...we'll see.

Al