Home Sports Talk

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>Beckett SEVEN earned?

Papelbon very, very rocky!

Bucky vs Halladay tonight AND Viola? I'll bet Orsillo is dying inside.

Break out the Advil boys, it's gonna be a nail-biter or complete disaster!!

The bright side...we have Youk back. >>

Buchholz seems to be running into a lot of good pitchers. Hopefully we'll get to Halladay tonight!
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I gave up on Buchholz in my fantasy league and cut him earlier this week. The more I see him pitch the more it seems to me like the best he's ever going to be is a #4 starter in the big leagues or a perennial ace in AAA.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, they should have sent Bucky instead of Masterson. Besides, at some point Bucky is gonna choke on that chain around his neck.

I will estimate that Bucky replaces his chain at least 50 times tonight. The member in good standing in Red Sox Nation who guesses the correct number of times, gets to go clamming with one (maybe two) of Perk Dog's Perkies. Perk gets to pick which Perkie, after all , they're his Perkies. El Perk Dog will arrange for all "particulars".

If you need a definition of "clamming" please do not guess.

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need 'em to get rolling; plenty of time left. When do we go clamming?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Check with Perk for tide info, he's much closer to the salt water than me.

Since he recently dubbed me as the "Red Sox Nation Pit Bull", I have kindly reciprocated and named him "Recreation/Anything Goes Coordinator".

However, if you plan to clam with a Perkie or two, you gotta guess how many times Bucky puts his chain-w/medal back under his shirt after throwing a pitch tonight. image Not sure how long I can handle Frankie at the mike, Remdawg where are you?
    First time in 42 starts Halladay didn't go at least 6 innings. That's incredible.
    Nice start again by Buchholz, and a good job by the bullpen.
    Looks like Ortiz and Bay might be heating up at the same time. Imagine that!
    One more thing...Remy back on Friday (part time) but it's better than nothing!

• << <i>I gave up on Buchholz in my fantasy league and cut him earlier this week. The more I see him pitch the more it seems to me like the best he's ever going to be is a #4 starter in the big leagues or a perennial ace in AAA. >>

I disagree. Theo is totally messing up with Clay. Look at how the kid has performed since Smoltz got released.
    Just a coincidence ? Not at all. The Red Sox have to say, "Clay, you're our guy, and we're going to stick with you through thick
    and thin." I think the kid is a future #2 behind Lester, or perhaps a #1. Theo should have never signed Smoltz, and should have given the ball to Clay all season long. So what if he goes 7-9 this year. Greg Maddux and all the great ones had to go through that too. Someone please find a pitcher with a better change up then Buchholz. Does that person exist ?
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I gave up on Buchholz in my fantasy league and cut him earlier this week. The more I see him pitch the more it seems to me like the best he's ever going to be is a #4 starter in the big leagues or a perennial ace in AAA. >>

I disagree. Theo is totally messing up with Clay. Look at how the kid has performed since Smoltz got released.
    Just a coincidence ? Not at all. The Red Sox have to say, "Clay, you're our guy, and we're going to stick with you through thick
    and thin." I think the kid is a future #2 behind Lester, or perhaps a #1. Theo should have never signed Smoltz, and should have given the ball to Clay all season long. So what if he goes 7-9 this year. Greg Maddux and all the great ones had to go through that too. Someone please find a pitcher with a better change up then Buchholz. Does that person exist ? >>

You have a point. Even Glavine sucked his first year. By the end of this season, Sucholz will have had a full first year, counting last year. 20-9 next year!! image
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD Drew? image

• << <i>JD Drew? image >>

I know we've beatin' this to death, but JD Drew is a solid ballplayer. His OBP is better then Pedroia's, Lowell's, and
    V. Martinez. I think only Youk and Jason Bay have a better OBP then Drew. The guy makes pitchers work, and he's
    solid in the outfield. He's a very good ballplayer.
    Drew gets paid HUGE $$$, he needs to be more consistent...which is my only gripe with this guy.

While he had a great night tonight, how many times have we seen him in a clutch situation take strike 3?? Too many IMO for a player of his calibre.

Team looks good...bullpen rested, Yankees in Fenway, Remy is back...life is good.
    A road sweep!!! That doesn't happen for us too often. Nice to have some Momentum going into the Yankees series
  • matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Boy, if you ever experience a Bucky Dent or Aaron Boone moment, you're gonna be suicidal!! AND, if a Bill Buckner (one strike away from a WS win) moment happens to your team, you will definitely be jumping off the highest building in Texas. >>

You're probably right. If had managed to blow a 6 run lead in the 6th last night I probably would have jumped off Reunion Tower. Hopefully we'll at least keep Tampa from gaining on you this weekend image

I can't believe I am about to say this....Go Yankees...uggghhh that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders

<< <i>

<< <i>JD Drew? image >>

I know we've beatin' this to death, but JD Drew is a solid ballplayer. His OBP is better then Pedroia's, Lowell's, and
    V. Martinez. >>

Since he joined the Red Sox, V Mart's OBP is .398 compared to Drew's .375.

<< <i>Boy, if you ever experience a Bucky Dent or Aaron Boone moment, you're gonna be suicidal!! AND, if a Bill Buckner (one strike away from a WS win) moment happens to your team, you will definitely be jumping off the highest building in Texas.. >>

MCLV, please remember that Game 6 was already TIED when the ball went through Buckner's legs. I still maintain that Goat #1 was Calvin Schiraldi (0-2 pitch, 1 strike away from ending it, throws a fastball right down the middle to Knight -- ever heard of "wasting" a pitch? image), Goat #2 was Bob Stanley (choking closer), Goat #3 was Buckner, Goat #3A was McNamara (for not getting the team motivated to win Game 7).
    Coin...

You are correct. However, I think McNamara's biggest faux pas was not DHing Buckner (with the known bad ankles) and putting Baylor at 1st base. I did briefly take a look again at the box score, but quickly chose not to relive all the drama...it was bad enough in person. The pitching, given what was at stake was pretty pathetic.

Felas, fellas, fellas!!!!!!!! PLEASE NO TALK OF 1986 and all that CRAP!!!!

We got the Yankees on Tap and we are in a TIGHT wild card chase! lets get it on and step up our game!!!!!!!!!

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should get to watch nearly an entire game for the first time in a while today. Nice to hear Remy's voice over the action. I wish it wasn't Penny pitching, yuck
    Penny sucks.
  • I think he's doing quite well image

If you makes you feel any better Tampa is beating the Rangers 1-0 in the top of the 1st.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

<< <i>

We got the Yankees on Tap and we are in a TIGHT wild card chase! lets get it on and step up our game!!!!!!!!!

image >>

Ha! What was I thinking image
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭
    Hey Paul

Now you feel our pain from the first 8 games LOL
    Well, at least it's over.
    Eh, honestly just another loss. Im counting on the Wild Card as our last line of defense.

( BTW- What a freakin' joke, I hope they are seriously embaressed )

<< <i>Hey Paul

Now you feel our pain from the first 8 games LOL >>

Yup.
    Geez, nice BP sesson by Penny. Theo is now 0 for 2 on starting pitcher reclamation projects.

The Sox now need BOTH Wake and Dice-K to come back.

<< <i>Eh, honestly just another loss. Im counting on the Wild Card as our last line of defense.

( BTW- What a freakin' joke, I hope they are seriously embaressed ) >>

Yeah I agree with that. I am glad I missed the entire game.
  • "I gave up on Buchholz in my fantasy league and cut him earlier this week. The more I see him pitch the more it seems to me like the best he's ever going to be is a #4 starter in the big leagues or a perennial ace in AAA. "

agreed, I think Masterson has real godo stuff, im glad the Tribe got him image

I also think its pure foolishness that the sox didnt trade suckholz and 3 other clowns for Halladay. The sox would have 3 aces and an unstoppable playoff rotation.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Lets see they needed pitching at the trade deadline and Theo gets them a bat by trading away
    one of their better arms?
    Lets see last year needed pitching at the deadline and he did nothing again?
    Lets see two years ago they won the WS but his big signing was Drew and Dice K.
    Lets see 3 years ago he wasn't there and we traded for pitchingimage
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Lets just beat these guys today- ok?
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Lets see Youk with 6 RBI today.. Maybe just maybe this could be the start of something good?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Now that's more like it! image
    Nice bounceback win today. Now let's get Beckett #15 tomorrow!
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game- great performance for sure. Its always fun to beat the crap out of the Yankees however I want us to keep it going before I get too pumped up.
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Great game.

But hard to get too excited when you're still 6.5 games behind.

The Penny/Smoltz experiment is a failure.

Too bad they wasted 9-10 games waiting for those guys to come around.
    Capecards
    Penny is gone and will not wear a Red Sox uniform next year...too bad he missed the Lugo/Smoltz bus. Smoltz BTW, gets the start today in San Diego. Smoltz 2-5 (should be 1-6) ERA 8.33 vs Carillo 1-1 ERA 11.88...there's a manager's dream, score should be about 12-9 or worse. For those that miss Smoltzy, he's on the tube at 4:05, just enough time to warm up your baseball fix for tonight's ESPN at 8 Fenway duel.

Tazawa looks like the deal of the day, this guy came from nowhere, but, should he hold up, he may well be a key to the Red Sox run. We obviously need Wakefield back...who knows about Dice-k, seem he's kinda toast this season. I love the return of Gonzalez and especially the pickup of Martinez. Green needs some deep fly ball work in left!!

BTW, the National meet next year for collector's is in Baltimore. I will be attending, and I'm sure Bottom9th (Bob) will be as well. While this is waaaay early, if Baltimore or if we're desparate, the Washington team are in town, maybe we can do a game together. I will defer this thought to the Perkdog, as he is the Social/Anything Coordinator for the Northeast Boston chapter of Red Sox Nation. Perhaps those in attendance might be the Perkies...one never knows! image I of course have my hands full being the board's Red Sox Nation pit bull. image

Enjoy da game o ye of Red Sox Nation.

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Heading up to Boston in a few minutes for the game tonight. With traffic leaving the Cape on a Sunday and us leaving now, we might just make it on time image

• wow ...Boston is a shell with a non juicing Ortiz, and no Manny...

WHERE DID PEDROIA'S POWER GO?

was he the weakest MVP ever?
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fookin Jeter.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    Don't look now, but Beckett has not had a scoreless inning since his first inning in Toronto 8/18! 9 innings in a row with giving up at least one run. That's one worrisome stat.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    done

<< <i>done >>

We will still be there at the start of the playoffs-I meen I know its easy to talk tough when your main opposition is on the DL but try to understand the AL East is the mens department of MLB

Al, can you finish him off please image
    Somebody please tell me why Tito puts Baldelli in RF and Lowell at DH, when we NEED...like really NEED the win and have the two highest paid players, Drew and Ortiz sitting upon their arses in the dugout?? WTF??? Please don't tell me they needed their rest, they had plenty! Red Sox management paid Drew and Ortiz an eye-popping $166,666.66 to contribute NADA to a critical game. Worse yet, their bats appear to be hotter then normal, unlike the woeful Baldelli and Lowell. Geez, did you see Lowell running to 2nd? I thought they were gonna call a taxi for the guy. Come on Tito whazzzzzzzzzup ???

Paul, I can't waste my Pit Bull reputation on a pathetic, Johnny come Lately, only shows up when the Red Sox are down, useless, wimp of a fan like you are refering to. Anyone with a handle like his is WORTHLESS. People like him contribute nothing but BS, have no clue about the game and are only bomb throwers.

We better get the game in gear, their ain't a lot left to recover and preserve the WC...Holy Moley Batman, 5 homers off Beckett in Fenway!!
    2 bad starts in a row for Beckett. image

Farrell better get him to snap out of it quick!!
  • thank goodness for the Wild card, we have the Angels # anyway!
  • Al I have to question your logic on playing players because of what they're salaries are....Sabathia is a tough lefty, so you sit your lefty bats, even though Ortiz had the most success of anyone in the Boston lineup. Its one game, like you said to me earlier. You scored 4 runs of arguably the best pitcher in the AL, at least a top 5. That should be more than enough when you throw your ace. The problem was Beckett giving up 8, not your bats.

Just curious because I know how I feel in regards to the Rangers, have you guys conceeded the Division and focused on the Wild Card or are you still thinking you can catch New York? I guess I just want to know if you guys will be Rangers fan Tuesday-Thursday.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Matt,

The point isn't necessarily salaries, although I do kinda lean on that point a bit...isn't the objective of high salaries directily related to expected production?? I don't care who's pitching, you cannot compare the potential productivity of Drew and Ortiz to Baldelli and Lowell. Lowell is obviously hurting to boot...so, if Lowell gets on base, which he did last night, how is he gonna be able to advance with the obvious gimp/limp that he has? If anyone should have sat out last night, IMO it should have been Lowell, not Ortiz. Lefty pitcher vs lefty batter shouldn't put fear in Tito's head.

Ah, Beckett was definitely off, but how do you score runs without bats??? 'Splain that to me.

I don't speak "for the guys", only ME...it's obvious the Yankees are on a helluva role and time is rapidly running out. The obvious position at this point is to shoot for the WC, unless of course the Yankees implode, which appears unlikely. In either case, the Red Sox have to put together a serious string of wins, which will do two things...improve their chances for the Div, or improve their chances for the WC, more than likely the latter at this point. Personally, I won't be cheering for either team, but the Yankees could sweep the Rangers, which would just about lock their Division Title, and seriously improve the Red Sox position in the WC. I'll be watching the Red Sox - White Sox series. At this point, the Red Sox IMO have to start winning 2 out of 3, or pack it up.

Red Sox Nation has been here before, from trash to cash. Let us never forget the MIRACULOUS comeback to beat the Yankees 4 in a row (when already down 3) and then win the next 4 to win their first WS title in 86 years. Miracles do happen in baseball, just ask Bucky Dent and Aaron Boone.

I ain't cheerin' for the Yankees!
  • matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Clearly Ortiz and Drew are better than Lowell and Baldelli. I guess my point was that salary doesn't necessarily indicate a superior player, ie. Chan Ho Park, Andruw Jones in LA last year. Ortiz is having a down year average wise, although he is heating up. But I think Francona wanted the righties in there against Sabathia, plus when the Yankees go to their bullpen and bring in several righties, you have some potent lefty bats off the bench.

I also think if your ace is going against Sabathia and you get 4 runs off him you have to win.

Hopefully it will be a fun September.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are the San Diego Padres the worst team in the history of baseball? I was just wondering, because I read that Smoltz shut them out for five innings.

If the Beckett of 2008 is re-emerging, the Sox season is over.