Home Sports Talk

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>are the San Diego Padres the worst team in the history of baseball? >>

I think they are the 1927 Yankees reincarnate.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>are the San Diego Padres the worst team in the history of baseball? I was just wondering, because I read that Smoltz shut them out for five innings.

If the Beckett of 2008 is re-emerging, the Sox season is over. >>

Or the Cardinals benefit from the "spring training" Smoltz had with the Red Sox in the summer. And the Red Sox pick up 90% of the salary to boot.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I'm really starting to lose hope at a blistering pace.

<< <i>I'm really starting to lose hope at a blistering pace. >>

I guess you missed Lowell's bomb onto Landsdowne. Hopefully Sucholz can hold the lead for a couple more innings.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we are taking steps.. getting rid of the Smoltz experiment, Penny is being replaced now how long before Theo realizes that Succholtz is not going to be nearly as good as Roy Halladay?

Enjoying the softball game fellas? Im hoping we can hold on! Too bad we are not playing 7

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm really starting to lose hope at a blistering pace. >>

I guess you missed Lowell's bomb onto Landsdowne. Hopefully Sucholz can hold the lead for a couple more innings. >>

I'm more refering to the last couple months as a whole...
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Buchholz did nothing to change my opinion of him tonight. I find it concerning that he can't seem to handle the "lesser" teams in the league but he steps up against the Yankees, Tigers, and Blue Jays. I suppose you want a starter to step up agains those teams, but this patterns smells of one thing: head case.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Billy Wagner coming from the Mets?
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Looks like Wagner is a no go
    Wagner
    I wasn't all that thrilled about Wagner anyway, but the compensatory draft picks would have been nice to get once he signed with another team next year.

Let's hope Lester continues to pitch well when he takes the mound tonight!
    Well, it looks like we're getting Wagner after all.

When the deal was looking dead I read this quote that concerns me about him:

"According to the source, the primary concern for Wagner is his desire to protect his arm in a low-pressure situation during the final month of this season, putting him in position to secure a contract as a free agent over the winter."

Is that really the kind of guy we want joining the team in the stretch run? I'm thinking no.
    Now he decides that a pennant race will showcase him for next year. Seems kind of fickle. I guess it's all about the Benjamins!

<< <i>Now he decides that a pennant race will showcase him for next year. Seems kind of fickle. I guess it's all about the Benjamins! >>

Ugh, and he will probably get lit up like Eric Gag-me did a couple years ago.
    Tis a done deal, Billy Wagner to the Red Sox for 2 players "to be named later". Why wait, give them Penny and Gonzalez, toss in a few Rewdawg hot dogs, bag of fries and a coupla cokes. Super-size the fries.

I suspect Bucky is on thin ice and may well get sent down or sent away...we shall see.

Enjoy da game, Lester gets the win, Yankees crush the Rangers. WC situation improves. Hey, worst I can be is wrong. image
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What will Wagner give us, now he's on a team that's in the hunt for October?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
    Theo is basically saying he wants to give the Eric Gag-me experiment one more try, Im thrilled about V-Mat and thats about it- Theo has dropped the ball 2 years in a row as far as Im concerned, and more than likely it will cost us an early exit from the playoffs ( Providing we even get there )
  • Thought you guys might like this link, especially the last comment. It gave me a chuckle....

Fan thoughts
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

A good win, and pick up a game on the Yankees. We're still in it for the Div, lotsa baseball left.

I happened to have accidentally switched to the White Sox broadcast of the game and right after the Bay homer, Hawk Harrelson says "well, we gave them one last night and they tried to give us one tonight". What a clown!! I love the "gave them one" part.

Geez, anybody miss the bullpen band? I guess it folded when Timlin and Masterson moved on. BTW, ya think that FAT cop in the bullpen can really pass a cop physical? You'd think with a gig like he's got he'd share the goodie with a fellow officer now and then. Saw him trying to be cool like the other pitchers when flipping sun flower seeds...I suspect this guy is like close to 100lbs over da limit.

Wakefield tomorrow!! imageimage
    We haven't won yet....

Up 4 in the bottom of the ninth, bags juiced, no one up, with Posada up....

This would be an epic meltdown of epic proportions. Frankie Francisco is in, whom your familiar with from your last swim through Arlington.....We're trying to help you out (either way I guess...)
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

10-9! Nice win, Rangers! image
    I'd be ok with the Red Sox winning the division. As long as the Yankees missed the playoffs image. I hate the evil empire as much as you guys do. Although they probably haven't given me as much heartache as they have to ya'll, they have ended every Rangers postseason.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• half of all WS winners since 1995 have come from the Wild Card.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Papi Papi!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Better tighten the chin straps boys, the next two weeks are gonna be tough. Six with the Rays, 4 with the White Sox and 2 Oriole games.

How do you spell sweep in Fenway? T-A-Z-A-W-A

Nice WO bomb by Papi!!
    It's great to see Papi launching some bombs again. It makes a huge difference in the lineup. Too bad his average isn't creeping back up to respectable levels yet though.

It was also great to see Wakefield back on the mound and pitching well. His presence in the rotation should really stop some of the bleeding from the Smoltz/Penny fiasco.
    It's been awhile since we've a walkoff...gotta love it. Welcome back Wake!
    Rangers 6, Yankees 2 end of 7th.
    Yankees toasted 7-2. Lots and lots of long faces in da Bronx today.
  • Penny for your thoughts ?
    Mr.Penny has joined the Lugo-Smoltz purge, as in gone.
    Well at least Nick Green pitched pretty well last night! Maybe he should have started. image
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Mr.Penny has joined the Lugo-Smoltz purge, as in gone. >>

I wonder if he'll end up as a Cardinal as well...
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Papelbon's standard procedure: load the bases, strike out the side. It's killing me.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Papelbon's standard procedure: load the bases, strike out the side. It's killing me. >>

That could be a killer if the Bosox make the playoffs. Different intensity, better hitting teams...equals to pray hard! But of course Im happy that the Yanks continue on a decent roll in first place, even though they lost the Rangers series. Red Sox have a lot of pressure on them to hold that wild card spot with the Rangers and Rays up their rears!

So the Rays traded Kasmir to the Angels???? They are giving up already?

<< <i>So the Rays traded Kasmir to the Angels???? They are giving up already? >>

he's regressing and his salary is progressing. I think this move will turn out to be seen as a wise one by the Rays.
    Looks like I might have to rethink my opinion of Clay Suchholz. He might actually deserve to be called by his real name. Maybe.
    fortunately, reliever Hideki Chokajima made me have to put up with seeing what Papelbon stirs up image
    cool, Papelbon made it quick and painless this time
    I'd say Paul Byrd looked pretty darn good today!!

Time to slam the door on the Rays.
    Paul Byrd????? Are you kidding me? Nice game indeed. Same for Buchholz.
    You're right Al. Time to slam the door on the Rays.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭
    Where has Paul Don Drysdale Byrd been all year?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

<< <i>Where has Paul Don Drysdale Byrd been all year? >>

Pitching BP for his 13 year-old's team. Kids are back in school, so Byrd now has time for MLB.
    It's interesting to see how all the rehab 1 yr contracts have panned out over the course of the year. Of the 4 retreds(Baldelli, Saito, Smoltz, Penny) only 2 are left...

<< <i>It's interesting to see how all the rehab 1 yr contracts have panned out over the course of the year. Of the 4 retreds(Baldelli, Saito, Smoltz, Penny) only 2 are left... >>

Yea too bad we waited so long to figure out that Smoltz and Penny were not helping the team image

Im just keeping my fingers crossed we get the wildcard, that is all...
    TWO Ellsbury Web Gems!! image
    WOW!!!! That was a fantastic save by Paps. Good job of Francona bringing him in the 8th. We don't normally get use Papelbon at the trop.

<< <i>WOW!!!! That was a fantastic save by Paps. Good job of Francona bringing him in the 8th. We don't normally get use Papelbon at the trop.

image >>

Agreed -- Bard has not fared well recently in high pressure situations, so using Pap to get out of the inning was a good move.

<< <i>

<< <i>WOW!!!! That was a fantastic save by Paps. Good job of Francona bringing him in the 8th. We don't normally get use Papelbon at the trop.

image >>

Agreed -- Bard has not fared well recently in high pressure situations, so using Pap to get out of the inning was a good move. >>

Agreed here as well!

In Tito we trust? Lets hope he can patchwork a force to make the wildcard!!!!

• << <i>Agreed here as well!

In Tito we trust? Lets hope he can patchwork a force to make the wildcard!!!! >>

Hey I thought we were going to agree to root for an epic Yankee collapse, and a Rangers Wild Card?? image

Nice win (I'll take a TB loss, I guess - just go ahead and put them out of their misery), but you still lost 1/2 because we swept a DH tonight. We have exactly 30 games left and are 3.5 back. I figure we are going to have to at least 20-10 in that stretch, and that still might not do it....

It's going to be fun, but I'm beginning to think the best Ranger season in a decade won't be enough....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling