Home Sports Talk
Options

The 2009 Red Sox Championship run thread

Comments

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you didn't hang in to the end of last night's game, you missed a classic! Regardless of the bad call (or non call) by the ump on Green, the Red Sox came back for a very nice win. I too thought there was a lack of hustle by Rivera, which led to the win, but, a wn is a win. Nothing better than pulling one out of the fire when things looked pretty grim, especially in Fenway! If Fuentes is the Angels closer, he looked pretty weak to me.

If this is all the Angel's have, I suspect if the Red Sox have tp play them in an October series, I think the outcome is obvious.

You can stick a fork in the Ranger's, they have self-imploded and are done. If you can't beat Oakland at home when the whole season is on the line, you don't deserve to move forward. It is ovah in Arlington.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭
    Great game last night. Watched from around the 5th on . The Angels are on a long road trip and are
    probably tired. 3 games in New York and now 3 games in Boston in September. Kind of sucks to be them
    and the schedule maker definitly had no use for them.
    I thought the check swing was not a swing. I thought the pitch was low or at least it looked like it from my couch?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Yeah we pulled one out. I am glad I watched the whole thing and recorded the Ultimate Fighter.
    We did get lucky with Green, but sometimes luck is good. Especially with 4 Unearned runs after Tek's passed ball. I really like Tek but his skills have eroded a ton.
    Hopefully V-Mart will be back tonight.
    I don't get why Rivera didn't at least try for that ball. Oh well I'll take the win for sure!
  • Options
    I just hope we got this out of our system. Worst game by far this year. Between us and the ump's, we handed this game to you. Bobbled double play balls, Ump's missing a critical strike three, missed line drive, Riveria dogging it, Geez!!!

You guys have our number here in Red Soxville. This is how we play the Yankees out in Anaheim. We just have there number.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just hope we got this out of our system. Worst game by far this year. Between us and the ump's, we handed this game to you. Bobbled double play balls, Ump's missing a critical strike three, missed line drive, Riveria dogging it, Geez!!!

You guys have our number here in Red Soxville. This is how we play the Yankees out in Anaheim. We just have there number. >>

too bad the LAA couldn't play NYY in the first round.

And hey, Varitek tried his best to give the game away, just that the Sox (with help) took it back.
  • Options

<< <i>You can stick a fork in the Ranger's, they have self-imploded and are done. If you can't beat Oakland at home when the whole season is on the line, you don't deserve to move forward. It is ovah in Arlington. >>

Unfortunately, I concur....Again I'm forced to say wait until next year. I beginning to think I won't see the Rangers score another run, much less win another game. 1 run in the past 4 games is flat out pathetic against Seattle and Oakland. And come to find out its the longest stretch of offensive futility since the club moved here in 1972.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    Well Matt FWIW, I extend a personal invite to join some Red Sox Nation guys next August in Baltimore during the National Convention...just gonna do a couple of Oriole/Angel-White Sox games, talk a little baseball and drain a few beers.

I have no clue what happened to your team, they just collapsed when they needed most to "cowboy up".
  • Options
    Thanks Al, I appreciate that, would love to go the 2010 National in Baltimore, but that may be too close to my 9/15 tax deadline, just have to play it by ear, maybe I can get away with a weekend jaunt up there to the Charm City.

With the 2010 baseball schedule released yesterday I do plan on making a trip to Boston in late July for the weekend series from July 15th through July 18th. I hear Fenway is wicked pissa, or however ya'll talk up there in yankee land. Whats the best way to get tickets - boxoffice, stubhub, scalper? I have a college buddy that will be up there on a year long internship, but may be busy for a couple of the days, so I figure I'll just need a single for Thursday and Sunday, and probably a pair for Friday and Saturday. Should I/do I need to rent a car? I would assume a place like Boston has a decent mass transit system (at least as good as DC or NY's), but I've never been there so I don't know. I realize this is somewhat OT from your quest for a 3rd World Series this decade, but hey my Rangers have a giant fork in their backs, might as well look to 2010.....
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    yanks are going down is the ALCS!!! i forsaw it
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woke up this morning and was steamed I shut it off in the 9th, although I told myself they wouldnt win if I watched it image

We are playing some great ball which is sweet especially this time of year- my only hope is we dont cool off at the start of the playoffs.
  • Options
    Matt...The Baltimore thing is open, a long way off, so time will see how that works out.

As for Boston, I will assume you will fly into Logan and not into Providence, RI. If you do Providence, you will need a car. Driving in Boston can be an experience in itself. Parking around Fenway is a ripoff like most ballparks, expect to pay upwards of $25++. Coming up from Providence is a snap, but Boston drivers are very aggressive, so strap in and watch your mirrors and make sure you have planned well enough to know how to find Fenway from Providence. Boston streets are narrow and driving in the heart of Boston can make a newcomer crazy. I know how to get from Providence to Fenway, but could never explain the details here. Just take I-95 north and hang a right onto I-93 north...then you're on your own.

Google MBTA and print a map of the subway system. Basically, you need to take the Blue line from Logan and switch over to the Green line to Kenmore square. You'll quickly recognize the Citgo sign there, which is the one you always see beyond the green monstah. Follow the crowd to the left and cross over the Mass Turnpike, aka I-90. Fenway is about a 5-10 minute walk from Kenmore Square. The MBTA is very old and creaky down under, but thousands upon thousands use it every day...personally, I think it's dismal as hell under there.

Scalping is illegal last I heard, so your best bet is Aceticket or eBay. Don't expect to wait till last minute to get tix, you will pay a premium. Keep in mind that Fenway only holds about 35k people and has sold out since forever. Your best bet IMO is to get tix from roughly the Red Sox dugout, or about half way down the right field line, back around to the 3rd base line. The sun is a killer for evening starts and you will be squinting for a good hour ++. The sun sets roughly on a line from the right field foul pole to the left field foul pole. Forget the bleachers, you will just cook and really not enjoy the game after having come so far. I think you can also check stubhub.com for tix...but get them early, like when they go on sale.

Boston fans are pretty rowdy, but friendly. I would not wear any Yankee gear in Fenway, the abuse can be brutal. I suspect you'll get a pass with your Rangers cap on. Don't be surprised to see the opposing pitcher get a standking O for effort. We may be Yankee haters, but we still respect performance and effort. If you do go and it's a Yankees game, I would suggest you cheer silently if you are pulling for the Yankees.

Once you enter the ballpark down Yawkey Way, and pass through the turnstile...go all the way to the end. On the right is Jerry Remy's "Remdog" hot dog stand, he is often there prior to the game. This is where the little elevated platform is where Jim Rice and sometimes Dennis Eckersley broadcast.

Fenway is a magical place, get the best tix your wallet can stand. I would also suggest binoculars, the scenery both near and far is often times exceptional! This is indeed a wicked pissah place!!! You will see the 420' sign in deep center field...this is where I spent many a summer day with my dad a long, long time ago and once saw Mickey Mantle in that very spot less then 10' away from me scrambling for a ball hit there by Jackie Jensen.

Enjoy your visit.

Al
  • Options
    Al,

I was planning on the Rangers-Sox series in July, so I would be in full Ranger gear. I do expect my fair share of heckling if I was in Boston, nothing malicious, but heckling none the less...I've been to 2 different cities to watch the Rangers (Houston and KC), both were apathetic to my Ranger jersey and hat, clapping and cheering at opposite times as most of the park. I have been to a couple other parks when the Rangers weren't playing (Yankee and RFK) and my rule if the Rangers aren't involved, I get a hat and a t-shirt and root for the home team.

And for those stat geeks out there, the Rangers are 4-1 in road games I've attended and the home team is 3-0 in MLB games I've been to where the Rangers weren't involved...
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Need to reach down and shag tonights game. Wonder if fuentes trash talk of the umps is going to affect tonights game.....

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    catching third strikes is now optional in Boston. image
  • Options
    Took one of three and Nick Greens at bat really decided the entire series. Lets hope for a great October!

• Options

<< <i>catching third strikes is now optional in Boston. image >>

sigh.....
    I think I heard Beckett got a wild pitch on that too. WOW
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>catching third strikes is now optional in Boston. image >>

sigh.....
    I think I heard Beckett got a wild pitch on that too. WOW >>

the ball did hit the dirt first, but c'mon, Varitek isn't in there for his bat (or his arm or his speed)
  • Options
    10 for 75 (.133?) since August 1st. image
  • Options
    Yeah the ball was in the dirt but he has to make that play. It just kills me that we give up Stolen Bases without a throw. It's time to turn to coaching.
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah the ball was in the dirt but he has to make that play. It just kills me that we give up Stolen Bases without a throw. It's time to turn to coaching. >>

new pitching coach and lose Varitek ... step one after the year is over.
  • Options
    I think Farrell is ok as the pitching coach...as for Varitek, I think his days are numbered in Boston. I believe he has a one-year contract with the Red Sox at $5m. He's lost a step or two, rarely throws anyone out while stealing, and is batting a dismal .212. No matter how his agent (Boras or Boreass) trys, he won't be able to spin him up to Theo as salvageable. Like all players, methinks his time has come for adieu. Question is, can Kottaras fill his shoes or does Theo go shopping in the off season? Could be that at long last injuries have caught up to Wakefiled and the knuckle ball catcher is no longer a need.

Should be some very interesting baseball during the playoffs. I honestly don't think the Yankees will be in the WS mix, or gone earlier.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations to my Roman numeraled friend and the rest of the Red Sox nation. As their bats went from stout to limp, the Rangers went from important to impotent this last week. The longest single streak in our 37 years of futility with only one run.

For the sake of my college roommate from Fenway Park, I'm rooting for y'all. Don't let those damn Yankees win another.

For my Rangers, maybe next year, will be THE "next year".

Although I'm still praying for a Dewey/Truman moment, I'm giving y'all a tip of the cap. Congratulations!

Mike
    aka Thenavarro
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations to my Roman numeraled friend and the rest of the Red Sox nation. As their bats went from stout to limp, the Rangers went from important to impotent this last week. The longest single streak in our 37 years of futility with only one run.

For the sake of my college roommate from Fenway Park, I'm rooting for y'all. Don't let those damn Yankees win another.

For my Rangers, maybe next year, will be THE "next year".

Although I'm still praying for a Dewey/Truman moment, I'm giving y'all a tip of the cap. Congratulations!

Mike
    aka Thenavarro >>

Well being a good sport is much appreaciated, thanks for the well wishes and we are ALL on board with not letting the Yanks win another.....( Lets hope not anyways )
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Farrell is ok as the pitching coach...as for Varitek, I think his days are numbered in Boston. I believe he has a one-year contract with the Red Sox at $5m. He's lost a step or two, rarely throws anyone out while stealing, and is batting a dismal .212. No matter how his agent (Boras or Boreass) trys, he won't be able to spin him up to Theo as salvageable. Like all players, methinks his time has come for adieu. Question is, can Kottaras fill his shoes or does Theo go shopping in the off season? Could be that at long last injuries have caught up to Wakefiled and the knuckle ball catcher is no longer a need.

Should be some very interesting baseball during the playoffs. I honestly don't think the Yankees will be in the WS mix, or gone earlier. >>

Huh? I think V-Mart will fill in quite nicely. I would like to see them pick up a better backup than the light-hitting Kottaras.
  • Options
    thenavarro...classy. I have no clue what happened to the Rangers. But when I watched a bit of the game last night and caught the bases loaded with Andruw Jones up...in the background were the fans waving their little white hankies...Jones strikes out to end the threat and it was almost like Ranger fans waving goodbye.

Connecticoin...I should have fleshed out my thought on Kottaras a bit more. I was thinking perhaps Lowell's nagging health problems would find him gone, this would push Youk to 3rd and perhaps Victor to 1st and him them filling the back up role as catcher. If they go full time Victor as catcher, then they have to go with Kotchman at 1st. Kotchman who was an everyday player has been pretty much a backup at 1st and appears not to have a lot of production. when called up. I don't think Kottaras is gonna fill the bill as full time or backup. Either way, if Varitek is gone, they have a dilema behind the plate. I guess the wildcard here is Lowell's health.
  • Options
    wow, DelCarmen totally sucked in the 9th. Good thing the bats allowed for such a performance (so far)
  • Options

<< <i>wow, DelCarmen totally sucked in the 9th. Good thing the bats allowed for such a performance (so far) >>

Well, at least he picked a good time to suck.
  • Options
    Well guys, I'm gone till Oct 4th. Finger is slowly healing, but at least the bleeding has stopped...an ugly thing to look at!

Looks like weather-wise I've lucked out for the trip...mostly sunny, highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 40s or a bit lower. Will be in Golden, British Columbia (about 45 minutes west of Lake Louise), then next Saturday up to Jasper, Alberta for 4 days, then 2 days in Canmore, Alberta, just outside of Banff.

Enjoy the games...will check in when I get back.
  • Options
    Boy did Baltimore look overmatched or what this series? Nice way to start a road trip!
  • Options

3-0 is a fine start to a long road trip. With 4 games against the Royals I am hopeful that the Sox can start out this trip 6-1 or 7-0 before coming back east to face the Yankees. I'm pretty solidly in the "wild card" camp, but it will still be a huge series against the Yankees and, if nothing else, it will show us what kind of a team we really have at this point in the season.
  • Options
    One of you guys need to make this your avatar..

• Options
    Hmmmm, i guess the Red Sox bullpen thought they were pitching to the Omaha Royals instead of the KC Royals. I was hoping their one loss in the series would be against Grienke so that he could lock up the Cy Young.
  • Options
    Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory....
  • Options
    as I was watching this game, some of my thoughts:

Wakefield won't be back next year.
    Wakefield won't be on the postseason roster unless someone else is injured worse.
    DelCarmen might not be on the postseason roster.
    Bard needs to throw a two seamer every now and then.
    The Sox gave up after the fifth inning because they thought the umps were going to call the game once it was official.
    Chances are, the Yankees will lose, meaning the Sox would miss an opportunity to get really close to the division lead.
  • Options
    Terrible game yesterday. That's one that should not have been lost. And it was unbearable to watch - literally. I had to watch the KC broadcast and I could barely see through all the rain and fog to make out what was happening in the game.

Al - I don't know if you've already left on your trip or not but I hope your home is safe from all that flooding in Georgia!
  • Options
    Hadn't had a chance to pop in and say congrats. Busy weekend with three Rangers game, a Cowboys game, and my Red Raiders almost pulling off the upset Saturday night in Austin (Was at 4 of 5 of the games). Tech never could get over the hump, just played catch up all night and in the end UT was just too much (that's the first time I've missed that game live since 2001).

Its been said earlier, but the Rangers in the most important home stand of the year spit the bit. Instead of going 7-2, which I think would have been very possible, they went 2-7. I hope this team is learning how to win and what it takes to win for next year. They cracked under the pressure. And now the pressure's off, you see what happens they go out and beat a team in a place they've struggled at in 2009 pretty convincingly.

I'm ready for the postseason to start. Good Luck against the Angels in the first round, that team is resilient, but you seem to have their number. So until the third week of April when we meet for a 3 game set in Boston, so long everybody.
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

• Options
    Dam! That was a nasty loss last night, definately frosted my butt image

Lets get it back and go on a tear, or at least wait until the playoffs and do what we are CAPABLE OF DOING.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Butt ugly game, but the stress is off for the moment.

I don't know, baseball is such a crap shoot.

162 games, and the best team wins 3 out of 5, the worst team wins 2 out of 5, and everybody else is in between.
    Capecards
  • Options
    I just saved three hours by seeing Byrd give up five runs in the first (maybe more, but the TV is off)
  • Options
    Yep. When the Royals give Greinke that kind of run support it's pretty much a sure thing.

I'm going to stop posting how many wins I want to see from road trips and home stands. It seems like every time I do, I'm WAY wrong.
  • Options
    Yea I didnt even watch the game last night, I was pretty confident that they would not get anything going against Greinke.

You know whats a good thing though?

We dont have to face him in the Playoffs image
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Finally a win against those pesky Royals!
  • Options
    five errors by KC. Wow, that's not MLB-level defense
  • Options

<< <i>five errors by KC. Wow, that's not MLB-level defense >>

Yes, let's hope they return to their (recent) winning ways against the Yankees.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never expect them to win when they wear goofy uniforms.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    I just hope Lester is OK, other than that not a big deal losing last night- however it would be nice to see them take the next few games though....
  • Options
    Looks like Lester will be OK, just a bruise.
  • Options
    today was a good game to watch, but really there did not seem to be intensity in the air...not for the Yankees, not for the Red Sox, not even for the fans (or my family with whom I watched the game). The announcers (who suck) tried to create some intensity, but with playoff positions nearly a foregone conclusion, it just was not there. That being said, Sabathia was great and Matsuzaka is creating believers amongst RSN
  • Options
    Ok RSN lets saddle up and get ready for our wildcard, I will take the beating from NY now rather than later.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭